NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did he enter and left through the front or back door?
Welcome to Ws @von Molttke:!
It would seem that the killer entered the front door and maybe left that way too, speculation, imo.
rbbm
''Braswell described Potter's experience that day she found her daughter.
"She had stopped by Jaye's house around 12 p.m. on her way back from town," Braswell said. "She noticed that the door was unlocked, which is unusual. She knocked on the door and, when nobody answered, she went inside."

"The child was so young that he wasn't able to offer many details about who it was."
Braswell said Potter questioned the child about her daughter's killer.
"One thing he remembered was a knock at the door," she said. "He told her Jaye looked out the peep hole and she didn't see anybody. She opened the door and the man immediately came in. He said it was a white male -- someone he didn't know."

Welcome to Ws @von Molttke:!
It would seem that the killer entered the front door and maybe left that way too, speculation, imo.
rbbm
''Braswell described Potter's experience that day she found her daughter.
"She had stopped by Jaye's house around 12 p.m. on her way back from town," Braswell said. "She noticed that the door was unlocked, which is unusual. She knocked on the door and, when nobody answered, she went inside."

"The child was so young that he wasn't able to offer many details about who it was."
Braswell said Potter questioned the child about her daughter's killer.
"One thing he remembered was a knock at the door," she said. "He told her Jaye looked out the peep hole and she didn't see anybody. She opened the door and the man immediately came in. He said it was a white male -- someone he didn't know."
Thanks you, much appreciated!

Also found out that Christine Leigh Martin Owensby (18) wife of Randy Owensby and daughter of an Army Sgt, was also murdered in the previous week in Mount Olive NC (20/02/87). Do anyone have more info on this ?

Last edited:
Yes I know, just trying to bring him back here. DNA testing to me seems the best, if not the only way to solve this mystery.
Luckily Othram is aware of this case, post at link..

This is an opinion, not wishing to push this as a fact (for all purposes I am just a layman).

But I have checked the area around the house in aerial 1985-1998 photos and it seems there was a big forest in the back of the property. The dwellers were unprotected from that side/direction as far as criminals were concerned.

Although it was February and some of the trees were without the leaves, it is reasonable to theorize that the killer at least escaped from the back of the house.

This is why the construction workers did not see anything.

I might be wrong (bear with me)but I read somewhere they found small traces of appeared to be blood in the back (worth checking on this).

My opinion (not stated as a fact), just food for thought:

He left his car in one of the lanes nearby (Close to the forest in the back), then walk his way up to the front of the house (so as to have the door more easily opened by Beverly who waited for him to say the bed was sold), and after the murder left quietly from the back wearing some kind of coverall.

He might have been someone who not only knew her behaviour very well, but was possibly stalking her from a privileged position, and knew she was alone with a little kid on the early morning of 23/02/1987. He also knew the place well.

And I dare to say, someone who knew her enough to identify her phone number in the ads so as to call and hang up when she or her cousin answered the call, and strangely might have also known her mom phone number and thus planned carefully to deceive both women into thinking he was interested in the water bed (a clever ruse).

Maybe someone she knew? It would have been even easier to open the front door for him.

But again, just a theory not wishing to state it as a fact.

Von Moltke (aka O. Levasseur)

Please see the attachment (from youtube channel Justice for Jaye and Google Earth).

Attachments

• 2021.jpg
    2021.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1998.jpg
    1998.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 30
  • 1987.jpg
    1987.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1987b.jpg
    1987b.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2013.jpg
    2013.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013a.jpg
    2013a.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2016a.jpg
    2016a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
"It's coming. There's a lead out there that somebody has knowledge of. They just haven't come forward."

Now it's a matter of hitting the right name and seeing whether the DNA matches with evidence from the crime scene, he added.

"All we need is a name," Crocker said.

He said someone could have left town quickly after the murder or repented to a friend, among other scenarios. Details like those could have seemed inconsequential at the time but could provide a good lead.

Anyone with information about the murder should call Capt. Gene Caison at the sheriff's office at (910) 253-2777.''

Luckily Othram is aware of this case, post at link..
Again, the idea, as I said, is to put the case in front of him. I know he has so many other cases. But one should try anything. It is my particular interest.

Last edited:
This is an opinion, not wishing to push this as a fact (for all purposes I am just a layman).

But I have checked the area around the house in aerial 1985-1998 photos and it seems there was a big forest in the back of the property. The dwellers were unprotected from that side/direction as far as criminals were concerned.

Although it was February and some of the trees were without the leaves, it is reasonable to theorize that the killer at least escaped from the back of the house.

This is why the construction workers did not see anything.

I might be wrong (bear with me)but I read somewhere they found small traces of appeared to be blood in the back (worth checking on this).

My opinion (not stated as a fact), just food for thought:

He left his car in one of the lanes nearby (Close to the forest in the back), then walk his way up to the front of the house (so as to have the door more easily opened by Beverly who waited for him to say the bed was sold), and after the murder left quietly from the back wearing some kind of coverall.

He might have been someone who not only knew her behaviour very well, but was possibly stalking her from a privileged position, and knew she was alone with a little kid on the early morning of 23/02/1987. He also knew the place well.

And I dare to say, someone who knew her enough to identify her phone number in the ads so as to call and hang up when she or her cousin answered the call, and strangely might have also known her mom phone number and thus planned carefully to deceive both women into thinking he was interested in the water bed (a clever ruse).

Maybe someone she knew? It would have been even easier to open the front door for him.

But again, just a theory not wishing to state it as a fact.

Von Moltke (aka O. Levasseur)

Please see the attachment (from youtube channel Justice for Jaye and Google Earth).
A DNA analysis might also solve the puzzle (although not infallible). But it is taking too long. Perhaps they do not have enough samples. I wish I could have more data on this.

I agree it could be someone who left town quickly after. Did anyone close to Beverly (old boyfriend, boss, co-worker, customer, neighbor, etc.) take a vacation or business trip, right after this occured?
The trick is that it was someone who knew her and her habits very well,  but someone her son didn't know.

I agree it could be someone who left town quickly after. Did anyone close to Beverly (old boyfriend, boss, co-worker, customer, neighbor, etc.) take a vacation or business trip, right after this occured?
The trick is that it was someone who knew her and her habits very well,  but someone her son didn't know.
Dr. Godwin said, by checking on the ropes (and knots) used the assassin might be a sailor in the past or someone with knowledge of knots. I would add up a hunter in the list. Hunters aren't necessarily bad people of course, but the activity sometimes attracts callous individuals or those with a vicious nature.

Dr. Godwin said, by checking on the ropes (and knots) used the assassin might be a sailor in the past or someone with knowledge of knots. I would add up a hunter in the list. Hunters aren't necessarily bad people of course, but the activity sometimes attracts callous individuals or those with a vicious nature.
Is there a lake or marina nearby?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy