NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dr. Godwin said, by checking on the ropes (and knots) used the assassin might be a sailor in the past or someone with knowledge of knots. I would add up a hunter in the list. Hunters aren't necessarily bad people of course, but the activity sometimes attracts callous individuals or those with a vicious nature.

I learned about them in the Boy Scouts and later learning a lot while fly fishing.

I learned about them in the Boy Scouts and later learning a lot while fly fishing.

Dr. Godwin said, by checking on the ropes (and knots) used the assassin might be a sailor in the past or someone with knowledge of knots. I would add up a hunter in the list. Hunters aren't necessarily bad people of course, but the activity sometimes attracts callous individuals or those with a vicious nature.
So we're looking for someone with possible military background, but definitely an outdoorsman.

One more thing: The fact that the perpetrator left a newspaper with the ads circled in red is often described as an attempt to taunt the cops.

Wouldn't it be the case that he was just misleading the investigator and the family by planting a fake clue, a setup reinforcing the narrative of a person (and a stalker) who pretended to be interested in the bed instead of being someone she knew?

Last edited:
This is one of those cases where abject hope is that a forward-thinking member of autopsy or pathology sealed a vial, labeled it clearly and stored it in a refrigerator. … Is there by chance clarity on which cold case LE officer in the state is owning this right now? He’s probably crushingly busy.

One more thing: The fact that the perpetrator left a newspaper with the ads circled in red is often described as an attempt to taunt the cops.

Wouldn't it be the case that he was just misleading the investigator and the family by planting a fake clue, a setup reinforcing the narrative of a person (and a stalker) who pretended to be interested in the bed instead of being someone she knew?

I think I said earlier that I wonder if it actually was the killers or maybe her copy to see the ad?

I think I said earlier that I wonder if it actually was the killers or maybe her copy to see the ad?
Where exactly at the crime scene was that ad found?

There was this circle in red around the ad. Beverly wouldn't need to circle that if she knew where it exactly was, which is highly possible.

I think it could be either/or as classified ads were costly. I’ve not seen the ad but curious if she gave an indication that she was a woman? Like having “call Beverly”. I know we’ve seen cases about people using the newspaper for crimes, much like online is now so it kind of has me thinking maybe a stranger using ads to hunt a victim? I also want to think that whoever did it knew her.

@Brightchaser47, I’m not sure where it was and I need to dig thru this again.

1687697125891.png
''At the crime scene, authorities found a clipping of the classified ad circled in red. Investigators presumed the killer left it at the scene.
"It was obvious that the person who committed the crime had taken some steps to find information out about the victim that morning," said Cummings, the veteran detective. "We feel like the person that inquired about the waterbed is the suspect."

"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."
Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."
For Braswell, Godwin's theory makes the most sense.
"She had started receiving strange calls every so often before she was killed," Braswell said. "The calls always came after she got home and the person would hang up, so that's another reason we are thinking somebody was watching her."

View attachment 431002
''At the crime scene, authorities found a clipping of the classified ad circled in red. Investigators presumed the killer left it at the scene.
"It was obvious that the person who committed the crime had taken some steps to find information out about the victim that morning," said Cummings, the veteran detective. "We feel like the person that inquired about the waterbed is the suspect."

"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."
Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."
"She had started receiving strange calls every so often before she was killed," Braswell said. "The calls always came after she got home and the person would hang up, so that's another reason we are thinking somebody was watching her."
What was given to us comes by the PD and the media and Mr. Godwin, so any analysis might be faulty at some points. We are stuck for the lack of more information. We need more data, but it seems almost impossible. Maybe the family could help but I do not know them in person or am a relative.

Now, just some thoughts on this based on the scanty evidence, just thoughts and not trying to present it as a definite truth.

Beverly puts up the ads, then the abuses on phone start.

It is highly possible the murderer knew the bed was for sale all along and didn't need the ads . He might have got this info and her number either from talk with someone or herself and, in the case of the number, a phone book.

The whole idea of an "ads stalker" might be a ruse to deceive all from the beginning to the end.

He was planning to attack her before that but didn't know what to do. In this process I he got to know the place, the escape areas and so on.

The ads gave him ideas, but he only put the plan to work when he knew that the ads had changed with the telephone number of Beverly's mom. She wouldn't recognize his voice (supposing he was alone in this).

She would give him more information or at least confirm Beverly was in that house for that short period of time, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Star-News 26 Feb 1987, just a bit of information: 18 year old Christine Leigh Martin Owensby, married to a military man. She was also killed few days before (20/02/1987) in NC. But the case didn't get the attention it deserved in the press, I wonder why.

Last edited:
Star-News 26 Feb 1987, just a bit of information: 18 year old Christine Leigh Martin Owensby, married to a military man. She was also killed few days before (20/02/1987) in NC. But the case didn't get the attention it deserved in the press, I wonder why.

I tried to look into this when you mentioned it upthread.

View attachment 431002

Is that an exact photocopy of the ad (with that circle) as it appeared at the crime scene?

By the way, this is an interesting story. There is (or was) an Youtube video on this case. Nothing in the video, but in the comments.

One guy wrote: "Ray did it".

Perhaps just a silly guy saying nonsense because he's got nothing else to do.

But I informed the family anyway.
There are several videos about this case on youtube. Which one are you referring to?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deathrowsuperstar
Back