GUILTY NC - Brittany Smith, pregnant, found deceased, Wendell, 4 Feb 2021 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh man, this is not good. She had two kids already, didn’t she? This is just so sad.

I know all of us think “I would never let my family member/loved one sleep on a tent”, but what do you do when your family member/loved one WANTS to sleep on the tent? We don’t know the circumstances of her homelessness, we don’t know if family tried to help her. We don’t know if family could help her. They clearly knew she was homeless and pregnant, they clearly cared enough to get her a space heater. I’m not judging anyone. Life is HARD.

Who has custody of her kids?

I’m a bit confused, was the actual house considered a crime scene or are we just talking about the backyard? Did LE go inside?

Where is her boyfriend? Do we know if he’s alive or is he also missing?

I think this is going to be one of those cases with a bunch of twists and turns. The owner of the house seems... odd.

I had a family member who was welcome to stay with many members of his extended family and he did so many times. As long as he took his prescribed meds. Then he would say he was “well” and stop his meds - it would be horrible - loss of job, stealing, physically attacking family, etc.
Would not go to rehab. He died a few years ago of a drug overdose. :(
They had been homeless for years? And where are her children?

I had a family member who was welcome to stay with many members of his extended family and he did so many times. As long as he took his prescribed meds. Then he would say he was “well” and stop his meds - it would be horrible - loss of job, stealing, physically attacking family, etc.
Would not go to rehab. He died a few years ago of a drug overdose. :(
They had been homeless for years? And where are her children?
Yes, it appears that addiction might be a factor on this case too.

They have been together since 2014. He has several kids too. It doesn’t look like they have custody of any of their kids.

"We're getting ready to confirm [the woman's identity]," Baker told reporters at the scene. "I can't sit here and tell you that's what's in there right now. We have not gotten to that point. We have information to believe it."

Baker added that it was "safe to say this was no accident."

The family of missing woman Brittany Samone Smith was also at the scene, ABC11 reported.
Body believed to be missing pregnant North Carolina woman found in suitcase

Oh man, this is not good. She had two kids already, didn’t she? This is just so sad.

I know all of us think “I would never let my family member/loved one sleep on a tent”, but what do you do when your family member/loved one WANTS to sleep on the tent? We don’t know the circumstances of her homelessness, we don’t know if family tried to help her. We don’t know if family could help her. They clearly knew she was homeless and pregnant, they clearly cared enough to get her a space heater. I’m not judging anyone. Life is HARD.

Who has custody of her kids?

I’m a bit confused, was the actual house considered a crime scene or are we just talking about the backyard? Did LE go inside?

Where is her boyfriend? Do we know if he’s alive or is he also missing?

I think this is going to be one of those cases with a bunch of twists and turns. The owner of the house seems... odd.
Great questions! These are my thoughts/questions as well

"We're getting ready to confirm [the woman's identity]," Baker told reporters at the scene. "I can't sit here and tell you that's what's in there right now. We have not gotten to that point. We have information to believe it."

Baker added that it was "safe to say this was no accident."

The family of missing woman Brittany Samone Smith was also at the scene, ABC11 reported.
Body believed to be missing pregnant North Carolina woman found in suitcase
It really sounds like it is her. Tragic no matter who it is. Praying. Seems like that’s all I do lately.

Was she identified?

Nothing official, that I’ve seen.

The family went to the river where they found the suitcase, but Sheriff Baker would not let them near the body, which is understandable because they were still processing the scene.

I don’t want to be morbid, but she’s been reported missing less than a week and we’ve had cold temperatures at night so it seems that they would call in the family to identify the body.

MOO

Nothing official, that I’ve seen.

The family went to the river where they found the suitcase, but Sheriff Baker would not let them near the body, which is understandable because they were still processing the scene.

I don’t want to be morbid, but she’s been reported missing less than a week and we’ve had cold temperatures at night so it seems that they would call in the family to identify the body.

MOO
Thank you! This case is extra hard to follow, it's just tragic.

What are the chances of whoever murdered her be charged with murder regarding the baby?

I was under the impression there is 1 body but 2 different scenes. IMO. I could be mistaken.

It could be 1 body and 2 scenes. I’m not aware of anyone else missing in that area.

We rarely have missing persons cases that aren’t solved relatively quickly. An exception would be the missing soldiers from Fort Bragg, for whatever reason. IMO

MOO

Thank you! This case is extra hard to follow, it's just tragic.

What are the chances of whoever murdered her be charged with murder regarding the baby?

Seems possible:

North Carolina* 2011 N.C. Sess. Laws, Chap. 60 (HB 215) defines murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, assault inflicting serious bodily injury and assault of an unborn child. "Unborn child" is defined as a member of the species *advertiser censored* sapiens at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb. These provisions do not apply to lawful acts that cause the death of an unborn child as defined in N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-45.1, acts that are committed in the usual standards of medical practice or acts committed by a pregnant woman that result in a miscarriage or stillbirth. The law repeals N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-18.2.* Indicates states that have fetal homicide laws that apply to the earliest stages of pregnancy ("any state of gestation," "conception," "fertilization" or "post-fertilization").State Laws on Fetal Homicide and Penalty-enhancement for Crimes Against Pregnant Women

Seems possible:

North Carolina* 2011 N.C. Sess. Laws, Chap. 60 (HB 215) defines murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, assault inflicting serious bodily injury and assault of an unborn child. "Unborn child" is defined as a member of the species *advertiser censored* sapiens at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb. These provisions do not apply to lawful acts that cause the death of an unborn child as defined in N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-45.1, acts that are committed in the usual standards of medical practice or acts committed by a pregnant woman that result in a miscarriage or stillbirth. The law repeals N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-18.2.* Indicates states that have fetal homicide laws that apply to the earliest stages of pregnancy ("any state of gestation," "conception," "fertilization" or "post-fertilization").State Laws on Fetal Homicide and Penalty-enhancement for Crimes Against Pregnant Women
Thank you!

The case is being investigated as a homicide. A cause of death wasn't immediately released.

Baker declined to say whether the body is that of a pregnant woman who was reported missing Thursday.

On Sunday, the sheriff's office said it was searching for 28-year-old Brittany Samone Smith, who was last seen near Fox Run Drive in Wendell.

Officials said Smith is “noticeably pregnant," almost 5 feet tall (152 centimeters) and 115 pounds (52 kilograms).

Baker said the sheriff's office has “people of interest” it wants to talk to and was in the area early Monday morning on a tip prior to receiving the witness call from police.
News from across North Carolina

Last edited:
Raleigh police called the Wake County Sheriff’s Office to investigate after a passerby made the gruesome find on the Neuse River Trail in Wake County, according to The Herald-Sun.

“We do have persons of interest that we are interested in talking to,” said Sheriff’s spokesman Eric Curry.

The body, located near the 5400 block of Allen Drive, was reportedly unidentifiable. Officials also did not reveal whether the victim was male or female.

Brittany Samone Smith was last seen Thursday in Wendell, where she was reported missing near Fox Run Drive and Hodge Road, according to The News & Observer. By Sunday, the sheriff’s department announced they were gathering evidence and searching for her.
Body found inside suitcase along North Carolina river

No one deserves to die like that,” said Dale Williams. “Frightened, in pain, and alone.”

“I offered to let them in because I had nothing to hide,” said Williams.

According to Williams, deputies weren’t interested in what is inside of his home but focused outside where 28-year-old Brittany Simone Smith, who is missing, and her boyfriend Cody Page had been living inside a tent for months.

“I didn’t have the means to put her up inside,” Williams of Smith, who was pregnant. “This certainly beats living under a bridge.”

When Smith disappeared Thursday night, Williams says Page was beside himself.

“Cody loved her very much,” said Williams.

“He was completely devastated,” said Williams.

“This is someone I’ve tried to help, nurtured, and cared for,” said Williams.

Now all he can do is pray the remains by the river aren’t hers.

“Whoever it was it was somebody’s child, daughter, girlfriend or sister,” said Williams.
After body found in suitcase, Wake County deputies search back yard where missing woman lived | CBS 17

We've got a lot of folks who are very concerned about the whereabouts of this young lady," he said of Smith. "She's a daughter, she's a sister, she's a family member to a lot of people who have been working very hard trying to find her."

"If this is, in fact, that young lady we've been looking for all weekend long, someone is responsible for that," he added, according to CBS 17's report. "That just doesn't happen."
Woman's Body Found in Suitcase Near N.C. River amid Search for Missing Pregnant Woman

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14