Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think once he's named, all will be clear. The defendant allegedly murdered two teens and fled-- and still found cover and shelter for better than 16 days. He's no boy scout... JMO
One reason I can think of why LE took that long to capture the suspect is that, maybe they were waiting for the suspect to make a mistake/leave tracks. One such trap could be if lets say the suspect used social media. Suspect was captured on Oct 7 lets say he makes a post on social media Oct 4 well LE can track that post/activity and pinpoint his location. Still took a while to get him, wonder who helped him.

I think this motive will ultimately turn out to be one of the oldest motives of them all. I do not believe it will be nearly as complicated as some, including me, previously thought. JMO

I personally agree with this. I think "young love" is the likely motive here. I think people have probably and likely are still denying that this teen could do such a horrible thing.

I think the courts are protecting the minor's family as much as anything.

Thanks, @oliveyoutothemoon9....

From the link:

Leaders anticipate approximately a 15-day timeline for the case to enter the court, at which point an arraignment will occur.

"Based upon the large amount of public interest in this case ... I did want to let the public know that we have made the decision to seek transfer of this case to adult Superior Court," said attorney Jeff Nieman.

"It is reasonable to assume that once the case goes to Superior Court, that there will be a bond hearing of some kind or or some other preliminary hearing," Nieman also said.

Nieman reiterated that anyone under 18 is not eligible to receive the death penalty.

"Based upon the large amount of public interest in this case ... I did want to let the public know that we have made the decision to seek transfer of this case to adult Superior Court," said attorney Jeff Nieman.

I'm not familiar with the US system, but does that mean if their wasn't such interest in the case this case would stay in the juvenile system?

I'm not familiar with the US system, but does that mean if their wasn't such interest in the case this case would stay in the juvenile system?
No. The prosecutor is simply giving a disclaimer why he's making a statement prematurely when he generally would not be talking to media until AFTER the case moved to Superior Court. The defendant is age 17 and killed two individuals -- this was always headed to adult court.

No. The prosecutor is simply giving a disclaimer why he's making a statement prematurely when he generally would not be talking to media until AFTER the case moved to Superior Court. The defendant is age 17 and killed two individuals -- this was always headed to adult court.
Reading it back a second time, I see where I went wrong there :/

“I can say that we have made the decision to seek transfer of this case to superior court and prosecute this case in adult court. There are still some procedures that have to be met while the case is in juvenile court to get the case transfer, and that will take a minimum of 15 days to effectuate those procedures,” Jeff Nieman said.

“I can say that we have made the decision to seek transfer of this case to superior court and prosecute this case in adult court. There are still some procedures that have to be met while the case is in juvenile court to get the case transfer, and that will take a minimum of 15 days to effectuate those procedures,” Jeff Nieman said.

A minimum of 15 days.

Don't they know we need to have MSM name the suspect? :rolleyes:

Here's a new update from WRAL

Updated October 25, 2022 3:11 p.m. EDT

"The 17-year-old suspect in the murders of Lyric Woods and Devin Clark is due in court Tuesday, with his case expected to be moved from the juvenile system to be tried as an adult. That change would make the identity of the suspect, which has been the source of much speculation, public.

Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall explained the hearing “is required to officially move the case out of juvenile court jurisdiction and into the jurisdiction of Superior Court - adult court.”

The suspect has been in custody since Oct. 5.

The boy was detained after a juvenile petition was served. The petition against the boy, whose name was not released, includes two counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Clark and Woods.

The suspect has yet to be identified because of his juvenile status. With the transfer to Superior Court, the suspect's name will likely become public.

"Based upon the large amount of public interest in this case ... I did want to let the public know that we have made the decision to seek transfer of this case to adult Superior Court," said attorney Jeff Nieman."

"Orange County Sheriff's Office - North Carolina Not everyone is prohibited from releasing name and photo. The law, however, applies to law enforcement and other categories of people associated with the justice system. A family member, a neighbor, or someone else who has the ability to do so is not automatically forbidden from releasing it."

please delete if not acceptable but accd to orange county sheriff's office, it seems as though the name of the suspect *could* be released, just not officially through law enforcement if the above statement is correct ... this was their response after being questioned about why the raleigh mass shooting suspect's name was released/revealed so quickly.
This is true. The law actually reads not prohibited if the name is "lawfully obtained" which is very broad. Explains why we often see MSM include the phrase " the XYZ network is not naming the accused because of minor status" or it's their policy not to name minors versus it's illegal. I think most MSM investigative reporters obtain the name quickly.

Seems the hearings are going as expected.

Quote from ABC 11, Friday, November 4, 2022 9:15PM:

MEBANE, N.C. (WTVD) -- The juvenile accused in the shooting deaths of two teenagers in Orange County will likely be tried as an adult after a deadline to appeal that process passed.

His attorneys did not file an appeal to prevent him from being tried as an adult before Friday's deadline expired. ...

source:
https://abc11.com/teen-accused-of-shooting-death-to-be-tried-as-adult-appeal-deadline-passed-teens-killed-orange-county/12418708/

archived source:
https://archive.ph/Bqbkq

ADMIN NOTE:

We need to change the title on this thread to reflect the arrest.
In order to do that without affecting the search engine hits (and more importantly, the misses) we will be starting a new thread, with a pared down title. This follows the guidance of Tricia and our IT consultant.
The new thread will have a link to this first thread just as other multiple thread cases do.

This thread is now closed, and a link to the new thread is here:
Found Deceased - NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered, Alamance Co., *ARREST* #2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member