NC - Erica Lynn Parsons, 13, Rowan County, 19 Nov 2011 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not home schooling that is the problem here, it's people like Casey Parsons who should never have had children to start with. Unfortunately there is no way to monitor people and decide whether they will be good parents or not, until after the fact. I believe Erica would have been abused no matter where she ended up going to school.

I also think that the family should bear some blame as well, since they seemed to be aware that things were not right and did nothing about it. We all bear a responsibility to report abuse when we see it, especially if it's family. Casey bears the majority of the blame, but she is not the only one who allowed this to go on.

My point is, there are many kids who are and were home schooled and some of them have gone on to have successful lives. For every case you see like this one, there are hundreds more that turn out just fine. I agree that every state should have a monitoring system and it should be carried out regularly, but the entire system of home schooling is not to blame.... only the ones who abuse the system.

People talk a lot about Casey, but personally, I hold Sandy equally responsible to Casey. He's such a hothead. I also have concerns about sexual abuse due to those statements they made about Erica being "boy crazy" at 6 years old. Every time I've seen something like that said about a child, there's been sexual abuse involved.

JMO

It's not home schooling that is the problem here, it's people like Casey Parsons who should never have had children to start with. Unfortunately there is no way to monitor people and decide whether they will be good parents or not, until after the fact. I believe Erica would have been abused no matter where she ended up going to school.

I also think that the family should bear some blame as well, since they seemed to be aware that things were not right and did nothing about it. We all bear a responsibility to report abuse when we see it, especially if it's family. Casey bears the majority of the blame, but she is not the only one who allowed this to go on.

My point is, there are many kids who are and were home schooled and some of them have gone on to have successful lives. For every case you see like this one, there are hundreds more that turn out just fine. I agree that every state should have a monitoring system and it should be carried out regularly, but the entire system of home schooling is not to blame.... only the ones who abuse the system.

I agree. No one is saying homeschooling is the problem. The problem is that unregulated and unmonitired home schooling will continue to be used by the Caseys and Elisas of the world as a way to keep the children who most need to be seen by mandated reporters of the community unseen.

Erica would most assuredly have been abused if she attended public school or was educated outside the home. But she would have been in regular contact with mandated reporters who could have seen signs that warranted a closer look at the home/family situation. We will never know if the abuse would have been reported and addressed or if Erica would still have gone missing but at least it would not have been 2 years before anyone bothered to notice her missing.

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a few days and reading through ACR's website with the timeline of Erica's life and disappearance and I had a couple of questions. I apologize if they have already been covered.
1. Did CP ever say how she initially met "Nan?" I know that she said they've met on a few occasions but how did they initially get in touch? I read that Carolyn Parson's initially put them in touch, but Carolyn says that Nan doesn't exist. ....
2. The alleged Hospital visit that CP talked about in her interview with reporters, she said that Nan had called and told her Erica went to Mission's Hill Hospital to visit the ER, does anyone know if that visit was verified by LE or others?

I really hope that Erica is out there with "Nan" and she's safe.

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a few days and reading through ACR's website with the timeline of Erica's life and disappearance and I had a couple of questions. I apologize if they have already been covered.
1. Did CP ever say how she initially met "Nan?" I know that she said they've met on a few occasions but how did they initially get in touch? I read that Carolyn Parson's initially put them in touch, but Carolyn says that Nan doesn't exist. ....
2. The alleged Hospital visit that CP talked about in her interview with reporters, she said that Nan had called and told her Erica went to Mission's Hill Hospital to visit the ER, does anyone know if that visit was verified by LE or others?

I really hope that Erica is out there with "Nan" and she's safe.

Welcome ohhieliz! IIRC, In one of the interviews, CP said something along the lines that "Nan" had gotten in touch with her through the internet and claimed to be Erica's paternal grandmother. Supposedly, "Nan" knew a lot about Erica when she initially made contact. I don't think she ever directly said that Carolyn put them in touch, it was more that she assumed that "Nan" had gotten her information from Carolyn. She also never said what kind of contact was made, such as, if it was email or through a social networking site.

As for the trip to the ER, I assume that LE or the FBI checked into it. We don't know if it was verified or not. That information was never released.

IMO, the state of NC has really failed Erica with the way they handle both homeschooling and social security. In homeschooling in NC, CP says that the state doesn't require any more than a grade entry. No progress notes, no turned in work, no test scores, nothing. (btw does that mean someone has been entering false grades for Erica for two years??!) Secondly, the state does no in-person wellness checks for social security and only requires a form be sent in each year. Continuing to keep these laws in place just makes it easy for more families to scam the government and potentially mistreat their children.

Again, just my opinion.

I agree. No one is saying homeschooling is the problem. The problem is that unregulated and unmonitired home schooling will continue to be used by the Caseys and Elisas of the world as a way to keep the children who most need to be seen by mandated reporters of the community unseen.

Erica would most assuredly have been abused if she attended public school or was educated outside the home. But she would have been in regular contact with mandated reporters who could have seen signs that warranted a closer look at the home/family situation. We will never know if the abuse would have been reported and addressed or if Erica would still have gone missing but at least it would not have been 2 years before anyone bothered to notice her missing.

I agree with this. Schools can sometimes Get help for children who are abused. In Mass, the system unfortunately did not help Jeremiah Oliver. However, his sister was able to tell her teacher and that helped protect her and the remaining brother, as well as informed LE that Jeremiah was missing.

Although Erica's parents have not yet searched for her, their attorney would like all of us to "keep searching".

Sherrill & Cameron ‏@SalisburyLaw 17m
We are thankful WCNC Ch. 36 chose #EricaParsons as the top story of 2013 in the Charlotte area. Keep searching! http://ow.ly/rVNGn

Although Erica's parents have not yet searched for her, their attorney would like all of us to "keep searching".

Sherrill & Cameron ‏@SalisburyLaw 17m
We are thankful WCNC Ch. 36 chose #EricaParsons as the top story of 2013 in the Charlotte area. Keep searching! http://ow.ly/rVNGn

I can think of so many unkind yet truthful things to say about the adoptive couple and their attorney but I'll settle for saying only this; I hope LE has been tracking Mr. Sherrills' clients.

I agree scmom. I keep checking in for some good news but nothing :( how have they not arrested these people for at least failing to care for their child properly? I see other cases that are similar with parents being arrested. Why is LE waiting so long :( ?

Using homeschool as subterfuge, remember Adam Herrman in Kansas and the nearly starved girl in Carnation, Washington.

I live between two homeschooling families, and know others. I see the kids and speak with the kids.

There must be a way to protect the rights of homeschoolers AND protect children!

I just read up on that poor boy. It's like these people all use the same play book. These parents only did a few months in prison for fraud, nothing happened for Adam's disappearance. Sadly he's still unaccounted for. I fear Erica's case may repeat this one.

:bump:

My first bump ever goes out to precious Erica.

I don't know what it is about this case that makes me think about it every day. I want her to be out there somewhere so, so, so badly, and for her to emerge and be absolutely overwhelmed with inpourings of love. A real Christmas in the company of people who actually care. It's also sad, because I imagine her as she is in the only pictures we have available—much younger than what was reported. Whatever toll all this abuse has taken on her in her preteen years I can barely begin to imagine.

The sadness in her eyes reminds me of baby Aliayah Lunsford. I know I don't need to say much more about that. :(

I was so hoping she would be found by Christmas.She needs a chance at life that she has never had. If she would be found alive I would have to call it a miracle. I hate these cases like Erica and Zahra Baker where they were given such a crappy life before they went missing and never get the opportunity for a better one. Its so sad.:(

Erica Parson Christmas picture from 2010, a year before she disappeared at age 13

ZFW1y.Em.138.jpeg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...stigators-interview-missing.html#.Urcoi_RDt8E

erica christmas.png

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Parsons-tell-Dr-Phil-Erica-is-alive-220376521.html

This picture bothers me so. Her expression of hopeless resign. Her eyes seem so old and tired :(

Every time I look at this one it just breaks my heart. Christmas, a time that is meant for joy, for love, for hope and goodwill, excitement. And her face just says "I want to just get through another day"

Makes me sad and angry all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member