NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little background info, from a few yrs. back, on familial DNA testing (and the controversy around it) for those who may want it, and at the end it mentions that it was actually employed once in a N.C. case which I didn't realize before:

https://ncforensics.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/familial-dna-testing/

Someone upstream mentioned Durham County possibly having the highest Hispanic population of nearby counties, so I checked and they're right, at 13.4% (Wake county, btw, is 10%).

They don't really have to get the sites to work with them. On many sites, people upload their DNA and that DNA is available to be mined by any member. So, law enforcement just has to create an account to access DNA that has been uploaded and set to "public" which many people do.

My previous post should have said that I think it's just a matter of time until the perp's *relatives* upload their DNA. I don't think the perp himself will be doing it anytime soon!

I'm guessing it will just get more and more popular as the technology gets better. I suppose they could also have web spiders harvesting these sites for DNA too.

Kinda like modern day trash picking I guess.

Breaking and entering in 2010. Rape this year. Would have been 19ish in 2012.
Interesting...

ETA: Oh, and he beat this victim pretty severely in the face/head.

If this is the same guy, then he apparently was in Durham at least as early as 2010.

https://arrestfacts.com/Edil-Rodriguez-686v71

One tiny, interesting tidbit from the page you link to is that his "ethnicity" is labelled (as his name & looks indicate) "Hispanic/Latino" but at the very top, for his "race/gender" he's labelled "Indian/male" -- this is such a longshot, I don't want to read too much into it, but am curious if that means American Indian or Far West Indian?

Breaking and entering in 2010. Rape this year. Would have been 19ish in 2012.
Interesting...

ETA: Oh, and he beat this victim pretty severely in the face/head.

Exactly. Which is why I hope they get his DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9a08b014928991cb3e26f06577ab99c4.jpg

Then this report says race was W, white. What in the world...who decides peoples race???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then this report says race was W, white. What in the world...who decides peoples race???

I don't know if it's this way in all states, but I know in NC hispanic/latino is not considered a race. It is listed separately under ethnicity.

Usually either "white" or "unknown/refused" will be checked for race and then "hispanic" under ethnicity.

Hmmm....that is very interesting. Hope they run his DNA

I’ve been reading more articles about the Parabon NanoLabs news I linked to earlier… quite a bit of buzz about this “genetic genealogy” service that they’ve only officially been offering for a month or so …they also have a Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/Parabon-139039799481663/

Here’s their basic press release from a couple weeks ago:
https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/prnewswire/press_releases/Virginia/2018/05/08/CL88715

It ends by saying:
“In the coming months, we anticipate a large number of arrests in which Snapshot GG [genetic genealogy] analysis was helpful, even critical to the investigation. Stay tuned for those announcements."

Am really hoping we get a breakthrough in Faith’s case, since police have implied all along that DNA was the one thing holding up a solution to this crime.

More generally, with technology always running ahead of the legal system, I also wonder what if any legal backlash there may be to the widespread use of this technique even if it proves to be accurate and efficient.

did LE look into all of KR's male family members or any male friends from New Jersey? possibly one of them was in town visiting her and went back to NJ without LE knowing. Did LE reach out to any individuals who lived out of state to get dna swabs?
I've also been wondering if the dna was provided by a friend of a friend of a friend. Someone who was not in Faiths circle of friends, and who would not be on LE radar. Someone from the soccer team who would just do a favor for a friend and put a little something into a cup, just to throw off the scent. I could totally see KR having one of her guy friends getting a sample for her.

I've also been wondering if the dna was provided by a friend of a friend of a friend. Someone who was not in Faiths circle of friends, and who would not be on LE radar. Someone from the soccer team who would just do a favor for a friend and put a little something into a cup, just to throw off the scent.

RSBM

I can't speak for every guy out there, but if any of my friends ever asked me for a sample like that, I'd have a lot of questions. And if any of them were answered with "I need it to stage the scene of a murder," I'd politely decline.

RSBM

I can't speak for every guy out there, but if any of my friends ever asked me for a sample like that, I'd have a lot of questions. And if any of them were answered with "I need it to stage the scene of a murder," I'd politely decline.

lol....yeah, you're right.
but, I also know, there's been lots of cases where a friend helped another friend commit murder.
From what I can tell, Faith & KR had lots of friends, some who were star athletes and some who were real shady.
There's this guy who attended UNC about the same time Faith did, maybe a year or 2 ahead of her. He was a star athlete, who got into some trouble. He was arrested for breaking and entering. The publicity almost lost him his scholarship. Now he's in the NBA. But he was with 2 other people. A male and a female. The male accomplice, actually knew Faith and may have been with her the night before she died. I know LE spoke with him.
The girl, got arrested again in 2017. She was charged with assault. Apparently she beat the crap out of somebody at a mall.
Beating people down, breaking and entering, burglary. Sounds like a tough crowd. Which is kind of why I think the dna is possibly leading LE in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
lol....yeah, you're right.
but, I also know, there's been lots of cases where a friend helped another friend commit murder.
From what I can tell, Faith & KR had lots of friends, some who were star athletes and some who were real shady.
There's this guy who attended UNC about the same time Faith did, maybe a year or 2 ahead of her. He was a star athlete, who got into some trouble. He was arrested for breaking and entering. The publicity almost lost him his scholarship. Now he's in the NBA. But he was with 2 other people. A male and a female. The male accomplice, actually knew Faith and may have been with her the night before she died. I know LE spoke with him.
The girl, got arrested again in 2017. She was charged with assault. Apparently she beat the crap out of somebody at a mall.
Beating people down, breaking and entering, burglary. Sounds like a tough crowd. Which is kind of why I think the dna is possibly leading LE in the wrong direction.
I have this same feeling.

I have this same feeling.

I understand LE has to keep certain info close to the vest. But this whole dna thing is messing with me. Was it found in or on Faith? Could it have been there from days before? Could dna have somehow been transferred to Faith from KR's bedding? Faith was found in KR's room and bed, half naked. Isn't it possible?

and if Faith was even thought to be flirting with someones man, It's not to hard to believe that some female who's already been arrested for assault and breaking and entering, would think twice about beating Faith to death.
I'm in no way accusing this girl. Just saying, there's plenty of females out there just like her.
also, what if KR was the intended target. Faith and KR could easily be mistaken for one another. Is it possible that the dude (JM) who KR went to see @4am had a jealous ex?

Last edited:
something happened in my city, a few years back. A young female was woken up in the middle of the night by a drunk guy who walked into her condo. Her roommate wasn't home and they were in the habit of leaving the door unlocked. This guy was so drunk he walked into the wrong house. Lucky for her, he had no bad intentions, he just wanted to pass out.
I started to think, what are the odds that some college kid goes home drunk and stumbles into Faiths aptartment?
Her complex and 2 others in chapel hill had the most Larcenies and burglaries.
heres a link to crime stats....
http://www.townofchapelhill.org/home/showdocument?id=17324

then I found this article from March 2011, 1 year before Faiths murder....

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Unlocked doors at homes of University of North Carolina students continue to entice a man who walked into two more residences early Sunday, police said Tuesday.
"Early Friday, a man entered three homes on Church Street and Pritchard Avenue, walked into the residents' bedrooms and shook a cell phone in their faces, police said. In one of those cases, a woman also awoke to find the man rubbing her leg."
Nothing was taken in any of the break-ins. Police said a door was left unlocked in each case, allowing the intruder easy entry.
All of the women are UNC students, and they said they routinely keep their doors locked.
"We don't know what the motivation of this person is," said Lt. Kevin Gunter of the Chapel Hill Police Department. "Our concern is that it could escalate."
Intruder finds more Chapel Hill doors unlocked :: WRAL.com

But where is the description of this guy? No height ot weight, no eye color, hair color, ethnicity.....wtf?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member