NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don’t think I’m allowed to link to the site but there are some comments on another forum from an ex police officer from Chapel Hill who said that he had encountered Miguel multiple times before and that he gave the officer “creepy” vibes. He was known to walk around residential areas very late at night, the officer never arrested him for anything but said he suspected he was probably walking around looking for stuff to steal.

Maybe he was out doing this very thing that night and just happened to see Karena leaving the apartment and decided to see if he could get in after she left? This was a large apartment complex with lots of college students living there, probably a good place to case for stealing stuff, lots of people in and out of their apartments at all hours and maybe not the best at thinking about securing their apartments and belongings.

I really hope she's just ignoring all this and going about her life. She probably decided (or was advised) a long time ago that she needed to separate herself from the fervor around this case if she wanted to stay sane.
I'm sure it hasn't been easy. In that brief 20/20 clip of her, she seemed very conflicted, like she wanted to talk, but then thought better of it and just went back inside the house.
I do hope at some point, hopefully after the trial, she sits down with someone and tells her side of things.

I’m going to assume she probably has struggled with some level of guilt even if she wasn’t involved in Faith’s death, she did leave the door unlocked that night. I would have an incredible amount of guilt over that if it was my best friend who was murdered. People have probably given her a lot of grief about that as well, could be another reason she has tried to stay out of the public eye.

I don’t think I’m allowed to link to the site but there are some comments on another forum from an ex police officer from Chapel Hill who said that he had encountered Miguel multiple times before and that he gave the officer “creepy” vibes. He was known to walk around residential areas very late at night, the officer never arrested him for anything but said he suspected he was probably walking around looking for stuff to steal.

Maybe he was out doing this very thing that night and just happened to see Karena leaving the apartment and decided to see if he could get in after she left? This was a large apartment complex with lots of college students living there, probably a good place to case for stealing stuff, lots of people in and out of their apartments at all hours and maybe not the best at thinking about securing their apartments and belongings.

If that's true, very interesting, and he lived (with his mom) just down the road from that apt. complex... would be interesting to know also how many prior/recent larcenies had occurred at Faith's complex?
One of the oddities of his arrest is simply that he had no previous criminal record of major or violent incidents, so if he was at least on some police radar for possible thievery that at least would be notable.

If that's true, very interesting, and he lived (with his mom) just down the road from that apt. complex... would be interesting to know also how many prior/recent larcenies had occurred at Faith's complex?
One of the oddities of his arrest is simply that he had no previous criminal record of major or violent incidents, so if he was at least on some police radar for possible thievery that at least would be notable.

Yes, it would be very interesting to see incidents of theft or break-ins at that apartment complex around the time this happened. If he had been successful at stealing stuff there in the past maybe it was a place he went to frequently to look for opportunities.

The only other thing the ex police officer said was that Miguel would get very mouthy with him when asked why he was lurking around residential areas late at night, he never got to the point where he could be arrested for his interactions with the police officer but he didn’t seem to have issue with talking back to him. Makes me wonder if he is just sitting in jail right now completely stonewalling everyone and refusing to say a word about anything.

I guess these campus apartments would be an ideal place for burglar's. Laptops and other small gadget's that can be carried off in a pillow case, can also be quickly fenced on the internet.

The door locks on apartments can be opened within seconds by using what's known as a bump key. From what I read, many criminals are using these keys to commit crimes such as breaking into homes. So it's a good idea to have an alarm system wherever you live.

https://yourhomesecuritywatch.com/bump-proof-locks-our-top-3/

Bump keys eliminate the need for a burglar to do any door jiggling.

I guess these campus apartments would be an ideal place for burglar's. Laptops and other small gadget's that can be carried off in a pillow case, can also be quickly fenced on the internet.

The door locks on apartments can be opened within seconds by using what's known as a bump key. From what I read, many criminals are using these keys to commit crimes such as breaking into homes. So it's a good idea to have an alarm system wherever you live.

I happen to work on a campus of a large university and I get the monthly campus crime reports, theft is rampant because everyone has electronics laying around and students tend to not be great at securing their belongings and rooms/apartments.

But in this case, the door wasn't even locked for only a few hours. This must have been the luckiest burglar alive and Faith the unluckiest victim if this is how it went down.

I don't for a minute believe it was random and just a case of someone going door to door and testing out locks. That just would be such an insanely unlikely thing that he'd just happened to be doing that on the very night Karena left the door open and in the few hours Karena was gone.

It wouldn't be unlikely at all if MESO was a serial burglar and testing the locks on doors was something he did on a regular basis.

But in this case, the door wasn't even locked for only a few hours. This must have been the luckiest burglar alive and Faith the unluckiest victim if this is how it went down.

As shocking as it may sound, I would say a lot of younger people simple don't lock their doors. I know I never did. In fact, I can't count how many times I went to bed on a hot summer night with my front door wide open.

It wouldn't be unlikely at all if MESO was a serial burglar and testing the locks on doors was something he did on a regular basis.

Fluffy Pastry. What are you basing this on? Why would it not be unlikely? Did he have previous burglary charges? What would make you think he's a serial burglar and did this on a regular basis?

Last edited:
We don't know that - we don't know if the girls had the door locked when they were home. But anyway, that's generally how theivery works around here in Durham. Would-be thieves are wandering around my neighborhood many nights, trying door knobs and car doors, stealing Prius carbeurators and the like. Sometimes they get lucky (like when they stole my neighbor's brand-new car right out of the driveway because my neighbors weren't used to keyless ignition and accidentally left their keys in the car on the very first day they owned it), sometimes they do not (like the time they stole my husband's duffel bag out of his car, and all it contained was a bunch of his old medical records, womp womp). It would not surprise me at all to hear that that complex was targeted by random theives at night. You'd have a lot of shots on goal without much effort, because you'd be able to hit a lot of apartments and cars all at once. Add to that, a lot of carefree students, and you've got a great target.

I remember there was a time too when it was known that thieves would scope out a neighborhood and check garbages to see what kind of empty boxes people were throwing away.

For instance, an empty TV box would signify that the occupance at that address just bought a new one. The criminals would take note and possibly write down the address. They also study the comings and goings of would be victims.

As shocking as it may sound, I would say a lot of younger people simple don't lock their doors. I know I never did. In fact, I can't count how many times I went to bed on a hot summer night with my front door wide open.

When?

We don't know that - we don't know if the girls had the door locked when they were home. But anyway, that's generally how theivery works around here in Durham. Would-be thieves are wandering around my neighborhood many nights, trying door knobs and car doors, stealing Prius carbeurators and the like. Sometimes they get lucky (like when they stole my neighbor's brand-new car right out of the driveway because my neighbors weren't used to keyless ignition and accidentally left their keys in the car on the very first day they owned it), sometimes they do not (like the time they stole my husband's duffel bag out of his car, and all it contained was a bunch of his old medical records, womp womp). It would not surprise me at all to hear that that complex was targeted by random theives at night. You'd have a lot of shots on goal without much effort, because you'd be able to hit a lot of apartments and cars all at once. Add to that, a lot of carefree students, and you've got a great target.

There are A LOT of assumptions being made here. There's a huge leap between robbery and murder. Like gigantic. Your average robber isn't looking to rape and murder and then leave some cryptic note behind. The chances this was totally random are very small imo.

There are A LOT of assumptions being made here. There's a huge leap between robbery and murder. Like gigantic. Your average robber isn't looking to rape and murder and then leave some cryptic note behind. The chances this was totally random are very small imo.
That's one of the old beliefs that's falling away as backlogged rape kits are being tested. Rapey men don't have a type of victim and are promiscuous as to what crime they commit. They are "one man crime sprees" as the article below explains. An Epidemic of Disbelief
From the article:
"The Case Western research also showed that the great majority of rapists are generalists, or 'one-man crime waves.' 'They will steal your car, they will steal your watch, and they will steal sex, so to speak, if they can get away with it,' says Neil Malamuth, a psychologist at UCLA. 'They are antisocial folks who will commit all sorts of antisocial behavior, including but not limited to sexual aggression.' And eventually, experts say, generalists slip up and get caught."

Consider the story of Natasha Alexenko. She was raped in the stairwell of her New York City apartment building in 1993. The investigation turned up no suspects, and CODIS did not yet exist. Ten years later, the database was up and running, though sparsely populated. When police plugged in the rapist’s DNA, they found no match. With the statute of limitations about to expire, prosecutors were able to indict the John Doe whose DNA was found in Alexenko’s rape kit. Then they waited, hoping he would commit another crime. In 2007, Victor Rondon was stopped for jaywalking in Las Vegas and, in an impulse he surely regrets, punched the police officer. The DNA from Rondon’s swab matched that of Alexenko’s rape kit. Rondon was convicted of rape, sodomy, sexual abuse, burglary, and robbery.

'These are not the Napoleons of crime,' Tim McGinty told me. He paused, reflecting on those 7,000 rape kits sitting in storage in Cleveland while the perpetrators were free on the streets. 'They’re morons. We were letting morons beat us.'”

Last edited:
Is a random/coincidental crime so difficult to believe? Is it really more plausible that one of Faith's friends, in a fit of pique, spontaneously reached out to someone she had no connection with and arranged for him to kill or rape her?

Robbery can actually turn into rape frighteningly fast, if the robber happens to encounter an attractive young woman in a vulnerable situation. This guy went into the apartment hoping to commit theft, but when he saw Faith, lust took over. When she woke up and started fighting back, he was enraged and bludgeoned her to death in retaliation.

This wasn't premeditated. This wasn't something planned out in advance. This was something reckless, impulsive, and stupid.

My opinion and all speculation, of course.

Last edited:
It’s too bad we have to continue to debate/speculate over this since by now I suspect the police have either established a connection of Olivares to Faith and/or KR, or else they’ve found no pertinent connection at all.

I don’t completely discount the possibility of a random type burglary or prowler scenario, but I do still believe Faith knew the perp(s) if only slightly. First, again, there’s the note, which while it could be a complete red herring, on it’s surface still seems to imply some connection or prior interaction of the perp to one or both women, and secondly I always come back to the lack of noise/screaming/yelling from the apt. (as I would expect upon encountering a total stranger). Faith may have answered the door and willingly let the person in (recognizing them), or even if she encountered them unexpected, may have thought she could handle the situation because she recognized them, with no need to scream.
Just my two cents….

Meanwhile, I did check recently just to confirm Olivares is still being held in jail, but I haven’t thoroughly checked for any new court dates… anyone else keeping up on that? Again, so bizarre, no word in over a month since last scheduled hearing was cancelled in a high-profile murder case....

It’s too bad we have to continue to debate/speculate over this since by now I suspect the police have either established a connection of Olivares to Faith and/or KR, or else they’ve found no pertinent connection at all.

I don’t completely discount the possibility of a random type burglary or prowler scenario, but I do still believe Faith knew the perp(s) if only slightly. First, again, there’s the note, which while it could be a complete red herring, on it’s surface still seems to imply some connection or prior interaction of the perp to one or both women, and secondly I always come back to the lack of noise/screaming/yelling from the apt. (as I would expect upon encountering a total stranger). Faith may have answered the door and willingly let the person in (recognizing them), or even if she encountered them unexpected, may have thought she could handle the situation because she recognized them, with no need to scream.
Just my two cents….

Meanwhile, I did check recently just to confirm Olivares is still being held in jail, but I haven’t thoroughly checked for any new court dates… anyone else keeping up on that? Again, so bizarre, no word in over a month since last scheduled hearing was cancelled in a high-profile murder case....

I mean, I guess this is normal, but for such a high-profile case where the initial arrest was made with such fanfare, it just feels like something should have happened by now. Has he even been a appointed a lawyer yet?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spamyspam
Back