NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick note: I did learn this weekend (as Boodles surmised) that there are NO new documents to be released by the courts in the foreseeable future :-( Unfortunate, since the info we have from the Sept. release is so sketchy and incomplete. Though police have gathered a lot more information, I don't believe any of it is of a sort the press can legally seek.

I don't understand why BE's apartment was apparently searched (I mean... we have a photo of the search in progress, he says they are "searching the crib") but yet the only search warrant that was in the release was for his vehicle. Is it possible that the fact of the search was somehow kept from the media, or that it was carried out by a different LE agency (e.g., Chapel Hill instead of Durham Police?).

This weekend I ran into an a long-time friend who lives in the (nicer) complex next to Hawthorne at the View. He told me that police asked him and every other man in his complex to contribute DNA to "rule them out" as suspects. Given the SBI crime lab issues, he did not feel comfortable agreeing and was pretty offended by the idea that random people needed to be "ruled out." He said it seemed like they didn't have the foggiest idea who they were looking for.

Also, here's a good article: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/05/4124003/court-documents-unsealed-in-search.html

exceprts (BBM)

DURHAM — ...

The documents reveal that investigators initially identified several men of interest in the case, including two former boyfriends of Hedgepeth’s roommate, Karena Rosario.

One of them, Eriq Takoy Jones IV...

Investigators found Hedgepeth’s body....

Blunt-force trauma

Hedgepeth’s head was bludgeoned so severely that medical examiners concluded blunt-force trauma was the cause of death.

The autopsy report, also unsealed Friday, detailed cuts and bruises on her arms and legs and blood under her fingernails.

It says a bottle that was normally kept in the kitchen was found in the bedroom with tissue fragments and DNA on it. Search warrants say a wine bottle and a Bacardi bottle were collected into evidence at the scene.

With blood pooled in the bedroom and splattered on the wall and closet door, investigators were able to collect DNA evidence.

A DNA profile was generated from semen collected in a sexual assault kit, and investigators believe the DNA belongs to the killer, Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said Thursday...

Text messages

The information released Friday shows a series of texts exchanged between Hedgepeth’s phone and the phone of Brandon Edwards on the day her body was found.

Edwards, according to a warrant, had also dated Rosario. They were “just” friends at the time but had previously had a physical relationship, according to information provided to police by Marisol Rangel, a close friend of Hedgepeth’s who was at the apartment when the body was discovered.

Edwards, according to police, spent the night of Sept. 5 on the couch in the apartment that Hedgepeth and Rosario shared on the Durham-Orange county border. He told police he left there on Sept. 6 at 11 a.m. and then had contact with Rosario and Hedgepeth at the Thrill nightclub on Rosemary street later that evening and early on Sept. 7.

At 3:40 a.m. Sept. 7, a text message was sent from Hedgepeth’s phone to Edwards’ phone.

“Hey b. Can you come over here please. Karena needs you more aha. You know. Please let her know you care.”

A second message went from Hedgepeth’s phone to Edwards at 3:43 a.m. “Than.”

A message popped into Hedgepeth’s phone at 4:16 p.m., according to an application for a warrant on Sept. 11 to search a white 1997 Honda Accord belonging to a Ronnie L. Edwards...

Police not talking

Chapel Hill police and other court officials have declined to answer questions about the court documents...

It is unclear whom investigators continue to watch as “persons of interest.” There have been no arrests, but many interviews and efforts to collect DNA to compare with evidence from the crime scene.

Investigators tried to get DNA swabs from Reginald Leonard Jackson II, a Greensboro resident who had been exchanging texts with Hedgepeth before her death, according to warrants released Friday.

They also sought a swab from Jacob Beatley, a resident of West Longview Street in Chapel Hill in June 2013, where Rosario told investigators she went at 4:30 a.m. Sept. 7, hours before discovering the gruesome scene in her apartment. Rosario told investigators that a friend, Jordan McCrary, gave her a ride to the Longview Street home, where she stayed until midmorning.

Police questioned a man named David Bell seen leaving the Thrill with Hedgepeth, also according to warrants. He told investigators that he did not know her well, but had danced with her at the club after going there with a group of friends from Durham...

The warrants give a glimpse of the crime scene.

A white, fast-food bag was found on the bed with the unintelligible and mildly profane message – “I’M NOT STUPID *****” “JEALOUS.”

The documents released Friday also offered details about Hedgepeth’s roommate Rosario meeting officers at the door shortly after 11 a.m. in response to the 911 call...

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/05/4124003/court-documents-unsealed-in-search.html#storylink=cpy

I don't understand why BE's apartment was apparently searched (I mean... we have a photo of the search in progress, he says they are "searching the crib") but yet the only search warrant that was in the release was for his vehicle. Is it possible that the fact of the search was somehow kept from the media, or that it was carried out by a different LE agency (e.g., Chapel Hill instead of Durham Police?).

maybe it could have to do with the fact that it's registered to his father or something? Totally just a guess

maybe it could have to do with the fact that it's registered to his father or something? Totally just a guess

I didn't follow this... the comment I made was about his apartment.

Also if I had to guess KR may have likely had an 8 am or 9 am class herself and wanted to sleep somewhere closer to campus. Not at all uncommon practice at Carolina.

If I had to guess, KR wasn't going to make an 8 or 9 am class, being that she was still on the move at 4:30am, and wasn't she sick and/or drunk? (Did I imagine that or was it in the early news articles?) Faith was (supposedly, if it was truly her) texting BE asking him to come over because KR needed him. Sounds like there was drama happening at their apartment.

(I don't recall ever making it to my 8am classes when I had been out late the night before, although I don't recall doing 5am outings on a school night. But that was just me in the olden days!)

I guess I was trying to say that maybe he allowed them to search the apartment so they didn't have to get a warrant.

I thought this, too, but then recalled cases where, even with permission, LE got a warrant so as to prevent any later claims of illegal searching. Better safe than sorry. Maybe this varies. Or maybe there was a warrant and it remains sealed? BE seems forthcoming, from what little I can see, at least compared to the other peeps involved.

I guess I was trying to say that maybe he allowed them to search the apartment so they didn't have to get a warrant.

Could be except the caption of the photo says they won't let him leave and shows him being guarded by a police officer?

Could be except the caption of the photo says they won't let him leave and shows him being guarded by a police officer?

This is totally speculation but I always assumed the police want you there during the search so you can't run away somewhere or claim they damaged things while you were away. I know nothing about this kind of stuff, though.

Sadly, the newly released documents have just created more questions and uncertainty more than anything. I'm hoping something comes to light soon!

I'm just curious how many here have listened to the full 911 call reporting the crime scene, and if you feel it's DEFINITELY worth hearing? I've only read the rough transcript of it, and heard a few clips on news stations, and it doesn't strike me as unusual given the shocking situation, yet others say they find several oddities about it...
Also, if one does request it from CHPD can I assume they send along an audio copy that one can then repeatedly listen to, or do they simply play it to you over the phone and you get a one-time listen?
Thanks

http://faithhedgepeth.blogspot.com/

Was just thinking about this case tonight and so sad that nothing had been posted in 8 months. No new information in almost a year. Hopefully justice will come for Faith and her family soon. Sometimes the easiest explanations are overlooked, but if I remember the information right I think there's probably no other explanation than the roommates ex killed her. That comes from his lunatic and suicidal posts in the days after the murder combined with the careless 'message' left at the scene, almost certainly intended for the roommate.

Was just thinking about this case tonight and so sad that nothing had been posted in 8 months. No new information in almost a year. Hopefully justice will come for Faith and her family soon. Sometimes the easiest explanations are overlooked, but if I remember the information right I think there's probably no other explanation than the roommates ex killed her. That comes from his lunatic and suicidal posts in the days after the murder combined with the careless 'message' left at the scene, almost certainly intended for the roommate.

I drive by the restaurant where she worked at least a few times a week and I always think of her. I can't believe that they don't have enough physical evidence to make an arrest. I wish the local press would put more pressure on LE, because it's easy for them to stop working on this case. Her family is far away and not wealthy, her friends have graduated or will be graduating soon. People in Durham, which has jurisdiction, don't have as much of a connection to the case as people in Chapel Hill do. Seems it has quietly gone completely cold. If they aren't going to make an arrest, they should release more evidence so that someone can work on it and turn something up. She deserves better.

I wonder what Karena Rosario is up to these days? She's the roommate who is last known to have seen Faith alive. She left around 4:30am and returned and called 911 at about 11am the next morning.

On page 3 of the court documents it says that there was a message written in pencil that said "I am a jealous *****!" near Faith. Is this incorrect, or was there another note along with the one that is commonly mentioned?

On page 3 of the court documents it says that there was a message written in pencil that said "I am a jealous *****!" near Faith. Is this incorrect, or was there another note along with the one that is commonly mentioned?

I think that was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member