NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this thread, and have spent the past several evenings reviewing everything that has been posted here. I am local to the area and an old Carolina alum, and I remember well when this happened. I have thought of her murder from time to time, and whenever each school year would start anew and it would receive its almost token annual mention on local news, but for some reason, I never followed it here. I think perhaps I was deeply following another case here at the time (Mickey Shunick maybe?). Anyhoo, I am very impressed with the amount and quality of sleuthing and thoughts posted here, especially considering that five years later, people are still coming here trying to help find answers. I have several thoughts on this tragic case, but certainly none that have not already been mentioned by others. I would like to join the conversation though, and look forward to interacting with all of you, some of you I have shared threads with before, and it is certainly good to see y'all here now. This is a case that needs to be solved, and despite the fact that it seems to be no closer now than it was almost five years ago, I do believe it is solvable, and someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, I believe it will be solved.

:welcome6: to this thread, SteveP ! We're glad you're with us on this case!! :drumroll::drumroll:

For any of you who, like me, were not familiar with the use of DNA forensic phenotyping to produce a snapshot like the one of the likely-Latino male shown on the 20/20 program a year ago, the ACLU has weighed in with what I found to be an informative and somewhat thought-provoking article, which I have linked below. I am not sure how I feel about the accuracy of the snapshot shown, but while it allegedly generated many leads shorty after being aired, it seems that none panned out, because a year later, nothing more has come from LE about any such leads.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-t...ect=blog/free-future/forensic-dna-phenotyping

Good to see you SteveP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the night of her murder, Faith left Davis Library for a while to visit "the apartment of a male friend". Has it ever been determined who that male friend was? Just a friend, a romantic interest, a hook-up? And is that person one of the redacted cast of characters that we are aware of? Did that person have a roommate?

On the night of her murder, Faith left Davis Library for a while to visit "the apartment of a male friend". Has it ever been determined who that male friend was? Just a friend, a romantic interest, a hook-up? And is that person one of the redacted cast of characters that we are aware of?

The "male friend" has not been identified to the public and is not one of the redacted names.

For any of you who, like me, were not familiar with the use of DNA forensic phenotyping to produce a snapshot like the one of the likely-Latino male shown on the 20/20 program a year ago, the ACLU has weighed in with what I found to be an informative and somewhat thought-provoking article, which I have linked below. I am not sure how I feel about the accuracy of the snapshot shown, but while it allegedly generated many leads shorty after being aired, it seems that none panned out, because a year later, nothing more has come from LE about any such leads.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-t...ect=blog/free-future/forensic-dna-phenotyping

I have never put much stock in the photo that was put together by looking at the DNA because it sounds like there may not be much science going into that approach so far.

I do think the data from the DNA is important though as it does define a broad group from which the perp likely originates.

I have never put much stock in the photo that was put together by looking at the DNA because it sounds like there may not be much science going into that approach so far.

I do think the data from the DNA is important though as it does define a broad group from which the perp likely originates.

Agreed, even the comparisons on their own site are pretty hit or miss. But the more general information from the DNA is still valuable, and the science on that is far more refined.

This has probably already been mentioned but the "rapping" that takes place in the voicemail sounds like it might have been done through the autotune mobile app called "I am T-Pain".

Agreed, even the comparisons on their own site are pretty hit or miss. But the more general information from the DNA is still valuable, and the science on that is far more refined.
Agreed, the DNA analysis of ancestry should be fairly meaningful. Yet all the males-of-interest (so far as I'm aware) that the released LE documents point to are either White or Black, which the DNA seems to rule out. Thus, very perplexing (especially if we were on a wild goose chase for 4 yrs.?). 5 yr. anniversary quickly approaching; sure hope police have something new or informative to tell us. And I'd sure like to hear how often the DNA is RE-run through the national database for comparison to new entries there?

And I'd sure like to hear how often the DNA is RE-run through the national database for comparison to new entries there?

RSBM

I think the way it works is that new entries (ie. new criminals having their DNA taken for the first time) are run against the entire database. So, in answer to your question, new samples are constantly being checked against the crime scene DNA.

Agreed, the DNA analysis of ancestry should be fairly meaningful. Yet all the males-of-interest (so far as I'm aware) that the released LE documents point to are either White or Black, which the DNA seems to rule out. Thus, very perplexing (especially if we were on a wild goose chase for 4 yrs.?). 5 yr. anniversary quickly approaching; sure hope police have something new or informative to tell us. And I'd sure like to hear how often the DNA is RE-run through the national database for comparison to new entries there?
I'm also curious what it takes to authorize a familial DNA analysis. Particularly since there has been speculation about relatives of our cast of characters.

I'm also curious what it takes to authorize a familial DNA analysis. Particularly since there has been speculation about relatives of our cast of characters.
KR and MR are Latina. I don't believe any other of the cast of redacted characters we are aware of are Latinos, correct? Of course, any could have roommates or friends that are. There also could be your one degree of separation, I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last time I looked into this there were fewer than a dozen states doing any familial DNA analysis (but only 1 state that outright bans it). NC has never employed it (so far as I know), but this certainly seems like a case where, despite all the controversy & privacy concerns, it could prove useful (but some feel adequate safeguards aren't yet in place, and that it amounts to overly-broad "fishing expeditions").

KR and MR are Latina. I don't believe any other of the cast of redacted characters we are aware of are Latinos, correct? Of course, any could have roommates or friends that are. There also could be your one degree of separation, I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You are correct-the redacted characters are not Latino.

This has probably already been mentioned but the "rapping" that takes place in the voicemail sounds like it might have been done through the autotune mobile app called "I am T-Pain".

It's an actual T-Pain song being played at the club they were at.

Did someone at the club confirm the song was played? I ask because I've compared the T-Pain song with the voicemail (which is admitedly short and quite distorted) and it doesn't seem like the syllables/sound match.

Yeah, I think most have concluded it's actually the song "Booty Werk" that was likely playing in the club.

I have read here, somewhere in the comments accompanying some piece about this case, that people in Chapel Hill know who killed Faith. I assume that was a general comment implying that it isn't a well-kept secret who did it, but apparently LE can't prove it. Just wondering if anyone local knows who "people in Chapel Hill" think did it...I know who I think at least has knowledge never shared with LE.

I have read here, somewhere in the comments accompanying some piece about this case, that people in Chapel Hill know who killed Faith. I assume that was a general comment implying that it isn't a well-kept secret who did it, but apparently LE can't prove it. Just wondering if anyone local knows who "people in Chapel Hill" think did it...I know who I think at least has knowledge never shared with LE.

I feel like this was the feeling initially, but after 5 years I don't really think that's the sentiment anymore (at least among the people I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME