Found Deceased NC - Heddie Dawkins, 81, seen at night with blood on face, severe dementia, left in pajamas & slippers, High Point, 24 Aug 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is something I hadn't considered - maybe she's in a hospital as a Jane Doe and can't remember her name? Since this case appears to not be taken very seriously by LE (hope I can say that without getting into trouble) IMO, maybe they have not been aware that a woman matching Heddie's description was checked into a hospital. Or if she wandered into another jurisdiction, that could present an issue too.
I have thought the reasons behind LE pulling back but I would have to be graphic in explaining and out of respect to her family I will hold off on posting it.

I wanted to mention about this community and the people here. Never have I lived anywhere where people were this kind to one another. I have had a couple situations where the kindness towards me was overwhelming.
With all the negative things in the news I keep expecting people to be combative or crappy, but I am always reminded it is not the case here.

Today that are searching an area off Penny Road that may have had a credible sighting. I’m nervous to post as it is total hearsay from the group of searchers put they said a resident saw Heddie walk down Halldale Rd and not come back out on Thursday afternoon. They are going to that address with dogs at 8am and asking people to show up at the Electric Eye building just across the street at 9:30 to search. 1650 Penny road.

Today that are searching an area off Penny Road that may have had a credible sighting. I’m nervous to post as it is total hearsay from the group of searchers put they said a resident saw Heddie walk down Halldale Rd and not come back out on Thursday afternoon. They are going to that address with dogs at 8am and asking people to show up at the Electric Eye building just across the street at 9:30 to search. 1650 Penny road.
Over the weekend, a civilian search party found a piece of fabric in a fence on the 1600 block of Penny Road. The family told police that the fabric seemed consistent with the clothing Dawkins was wearing the night she disappeared.

The High Point Police Department’s lab cannot confirm if the fabric belonged to Dawkins, but they did receive it.

The next step in the search is a flyer response. At 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, High Point police will be going door to door with flyers to make sure more people know what Dawkins looks like in the hopes of discovering a lead.

The family shared this message for her:
If she’s watching now or if anybody sees her, we would just say, Aunt Heddie, mom, we love you. Come home. Hopefully you can make your way somewhere that you’re familiar with and someone can get in touch with us as soon as possible.

TY for the update!! :D It makes me so happy to read that LE and volunteers think Ms. Heddie is alive. I hope they find her soon.

SBM from the article

DAY 6 of Miss Heddie Dawkins missing. Hope is on the horizon. Shadow the amazing rescue dog and his wonderful team picked up a scent that is 24-48 hours fresh and found some pizza she has eaten. This just shows you how strong this beautiful woman is. We need help today when the dogs are here. We will be in the neighborhood of eagle glen off penny road that is where she was last seen. Please consider helping and please share and obviously the family could use your prayers. Thank you In advance.

TY for the update!! :D It makes me so happy to read that LE and volunteers think Ms. Heddie is alive. I hope they find her soon.

SBM from the article

DAY 6 of Miss Heddie Dawkins missing. Hope is on the horizon. Shadow the amazing rescue dog and his wonderful team picked up a scent that is 24-48 hours fresh and found some pizza she has eaten. This just shows you how strong this beautiful woman is. We need help today when the dogs are here. We will be in the neighborhood of eagle glen off penny road that is where she was last seen. Please consider helping and please share and obviously the family could use your prayers. Thank you In advance.
Please let today be the day that Miss Heddie makes it home to her loving family and community.

I recently read the story about a toddler that found a missing elderly woman. He was playing with bubbles in his back yard and he spotted her feet. His mom couldn't see what he was pointing at until she crouched down to his level. She had fallen down and was less than a mile away from her home.

Just the smallest detail can help find a missing person!! I am hoping Ms. Heddie is found soon!!

I recently read the story about a toddler that found a missing elderly woman. He was playing with bubbles in his back yard and he spotted her feet. His mom couldn't see what he was pointing at until she crouched down to his level. She had fallen down and was less than a mile away from her home.

Just the smallest detail can help find a missing person!! I am hoping Ms. Heddie is found soon!!
The toddler was little Mr. Ethan who found Ms. Nina Lipscomb. TY for reminding me of that heartwarming ending to her disappearance. :D We could use sooo many more cases like that one.

SBM from the article

Maybe this is why she has not been found with so many searches. She is on the move. God I hope so. I had thought the fact that she was able to put her shoes on herself to walk out ( I am only assuming ), that she would be capable to find water, some kind of nourishment and a place to sleep. I bet with being a sundowner she sleeps in the day to avoid heat and wanders in the evening when it is cooler. With not many people out late night she has not been seen. Could be why the family searches mainly in the evening.
I had lost hope last 2 days but this new info has me excited that she could be found alive.

As far as I know, AWP specializes in cases where people and their cars are missing—cases that involve bodies of water, sonar, and diving—their areas of expertise.

Texas Equisearch might be useful?
Thank you for the info, that makes sense.
Maybe this is why she has not been found with so many searches. She is on the move. God I hope so. I had thought the fact that she was able to put her shoes on herself to walk out ( I am only assuming ), that she would be capable to find water, some kind of nourishment and a place to sleep. I bet with being a sundowner she sleeps in the day to avoid heat and wanders in the evening when it is cooler. With not many people out late night she has not been seen. Could be why the family searches mainly in the evening.
I had lost hope last 2 days but this new info has me excited that she could be found alive.
This makes total sense to me. I have to wonder if she is trying to find home in the evenings or nights. I think her family definitely has a reason to search more in the evening since I assume most searchers in most cases would usually go during the day.

I'm holding out hope that Heddie is able to be found alive. Wish I could be there to help the search.

Thank you for the info, that makes sense.

This makes total sense to me. I have to wonder if she is trying to find home in the evenings or nights. I think her family definitely has a reason to search more in the evening since I assume most searchers in most cases would usually go during the day.

I'm holding out hope that Heddie is able to be found alive. Wish I could be there to help the search.
My ex mother in law (who passed last week) would wander walking the house all night long. She would look into cupboards, check the alarm, check the air co over and over. Mostly fiddling with things. I was amazed that she had the energy and capability to perform certain tasks. I think most of it was from a memory reflex.
My ex MIL was not in good shape as Miss Haddie so Miss Heddie could perform tasks to care for some needs as food, water and sleeping place.

Thank you to the locals searching for Ms. Heddie and may she stay strong and come home soon! This is why I've instructed my family to post on Websleuths if anything ever happens to me. Grateful to be a part of such a wonderful place with so many caring people.
JMO, MOO, etc xoxo

I wonder if it would be a good idea for HPPD and local news could ask residents to put out a jug of water on a porch or drive way or searchers could leave water in parks and trails for Heddie to find.
Might be able to track her better and know she is getting water. I don't know maybe it is a bad idea.

I just read Nina's thread and I'm so happy the little guy just happened to see her. You never know if something similar could happen with Miss Heddie. She could be closer to or further from home in a place nobody's thought to search...or she could be from somewhere only a toddler could see!

I am really glad she has family who knows her routine and cares about her.

SBM from the transcript
The outpouring of assistance has been a little bit overwhelming, which I think is wonderful for our community. High Point police chief Travis Stroud joined back in on the search, rechecking backyards and going door to door, talking to neighbors.
#

Chief Stroud,
Thank you for re-evaluating your decision to scale back the search for Ms. Heddie. Your LE department and High Point's citizens' efforts to find her are to be commended and should serve as an example for other cities when they're faced with locating a missing person, most especially a vulnerable person. May God bless you and all who are tirelessly working to bring Ms. Heddie home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back