GUILTY NC - Jameson 'Jamie' Hahn, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 22 April 201

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know who the man is with the ponytail? I figured he was with the family.

I can't imagine the defense is going to be too happy with this witness decision. Why do you think the defense didn't want to bring the defendant's mental issues into evidence?

That's Jamie's father. Her stepmom normally sits to his right.

Does anyone know if Nation's great aunt & uncle (the ones who raised him) are in court? Are they still living?

I'm so glad so many family members are in court -- and have been since the beginning.

Wowie -- Paul Ridgeway (the man, not the judge) does have a cute, cute smile. He finally smiled a nice, bright one!

This has been such a drawn-out dreary trial, I gotta get my kicks somehow. :- )

Has anyone else noticed today & all thru the trial, how catatonic JB seems to be? Whew, he's very, very calm.

If anyone caught the WRAL 5:00 or 5:30 news, I can't recall which, they showed a video that showed JB dancing and laughing at his birthday party, not even 2 months before the murder. Jamie and NH were in the video. The room was full of guests. I was shocked. I've never seen him jovial before.

I suspect he's been coached to appear morose and catatonic by his attorney. At one point today the camera man caught him smiling and speaking to Elliott. As soon as the judge called for the jury, he went back to looking downward with his blank face.

I wonder how many times Arbour used the word "respectfully" today.

I'm still quite surprised by the complete nothingness in the defense case. Absolutely nothing. Could they not convince him to plead guilty? I guess JB had nothing to lose. And he got the spotlight for a few weeks, and got to drag his mother and ex gf through a little mud.

Agreed, Boodles -- JB needs to look serious and sad, and he does. I did see the news spot with him laughing, and I saw a still pic of him somewhere amongst all this stuff, and he was smiling and obviously happy, and it made him look better and more "normal" (whatever that is). It reminds me of Jason Williford throughout the trial for his killing & raping poor little Kathy Taft. You were there! He looked very zoned out; motionless, almost. And emotionless, too. Do they still prescribe Thorazine? That is truly zombie-down stuff.

The DT didn't put on much of a case, did they? Why didn't they bring the shrink in as an expert? Did they just find him one day last week? His testimony may well have been helpful to JB. Dunno. And his Mom and his step-sister were no help at all. But what could they do? It's a weak defensive case, in my view. Who knoze what a jury will do? I'm hoping that the jury will get the case tomorrow around 3:30 or so, and bring in a verdict about noon on Thursday -- that's *advertiser censored*-uming there aren't/isn't a doubtful juror or two.

And thank the stars that our man Arbour will be limited to two hours... And how likely is he to object to points in Faucette's closing? I shudder at the thought.

Arbour was more like a regular person (whatever that is) today more than all the previous days. Lighter, less arrogant and less vitriolic. Not pleasant, but close.

We'll see...

Normally, it's not helpful for the defendant to take the stand, however, I'm not sure what he had to lose if he did. What if he described what he claims happened? What if he described getting the knife to harm himself and the next thing he knew he heard Jamie screaming? Bizarre yes, but, at least it's a version for them to consider. They could judge his demeanor and his story of why he did this to a person he cared about. Whereas without that version, they only have what snippets he told the police. So, if there is a slight chance they may go for second degree over first degree, what's the down side? Maybe they know more than we do, but I just don't see what they had to lose by putting him on the stand. If the jury finds second degree, then it's a victory for them. Without his testimony or a good diagnosis from a mental health professional, I can't see how they can find second, instead of first degree.

Normally, it's not helpful for the defendant to take the stand, however, I'm not sure what he had to lose if he did. What if he described what he claims happened? What if he described getting the knife to harm himself and the next thing he knew he heard Jamie screaming? Bizarre yes, but, at least it's a version for them to consider. They could judge his demeanor and his story of why he did this to a person he cared about. Whereas without that version, they only have what snippets he told the police. So, if there is a slight chance they may go for second degree over first degree, what's the down side? Maybe they know more than we do, but I just don't see what they had to lose by putting him on the stand. If the jury finds second degree, then it's a victory for them. Without his testimony or a good diagnosis from a mental health professional, I can't see how they can find second, instead of first degree.

Absolutely -- what did they have to lose? It's not a DP case. LWOP is not much better, IMO. I don't know how much doubt about 1st Degree that the jurors might have. JB looks rather pitiful, IMO, but I don't think I've ever seen a NG or a lesser charge because of that. He allegedly killed his best friend's wife, and allegedly tried to kill his best (and maybe his only) friend.

Well, we're live at:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/14487935/

Here we go with closings...I'm wondering what Arbour could talk about, coherently, for 2 hours.

He's starting out good. I like the touch about Thoreau.

The courtroom cracked up when the judge accidentally called him Mr. Argument. lol

Arbour is doing a pretty good job -- he doesn't have much to work with, but he's making the best of what little the Defense has got. Not giving JB much credit for all the lying, etc. He wants the jury to stick with the facts. A tuff argument.

Arbour unintentionally reminded me that the defense didn't even call a doctor to testify as to the severity of JB's "self-inflicted" injuries. It was never discussed (or did I miss it?) My guess is that's not an oversight on the defense's part.

"Respectfully" .... I am glad Nation got up and walked out as Arbour was telling the jury that Jamie and Nation weren't smart hiring Broyhill.

Even if we believe the defendant was trying to harm himself first and Jamie tried to stop him, then why would there be a stab wound in Jamie's back?

If JB had really been intent on dying that day, why didn't he simply slash his own neck -- at the latest, when he heard LE yell for him to come out? By the time LE entered the house, JB would have been dead or so nearly so that he would have died momentarily. Nah, not buying it. Good try, Arbour -- seriously. Not a bad closing, other than yelling at the jury.

And yes, I'm glad Nation left the room.

I agree.....I do not believe for one minute JB's intentions were suicide. What makes more sense to me is after Nation and Jamie escaped, he did what he always did.....attention seeking behavior. Stabbing himself was an afterthought to gain sympathy IMO
And YES Arbour seemed to be yelling at the jurors. I spit my coffee out when he explained away his painstaking cross of the witnesses was an attempt to "educate" the jurors!!! And went further to let them know that now they are educated!!
And...Bull cocky that he loved Jamie and Nation....he used them and is incapable of love IMO

So glad Faucette starting off debunking this claim that JB loved Jamie and Nation and was their friend! JB doesn't deserve to be referred as a "best friend" and I'll add that it is such an insult to Jamie and Nation for JB to still claim friendship after they have endured such horrific victimization from JB for YEARS! His behavior was always one of an opportunistic guy just taking taking and taking from people. Never was he a real friend IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back