GUILTY NC - Jameson 'Jamie' Hahn, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 22 April 201

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Borndem,

I thought I might find you here when I heard about the case... :) Thanks for the welcome, and for the links!!! Look forward to following this one with you.

-SG

Great!! Same here. If you get bogged down with the cross-exam by the defense attorney Mr. Arbour -- you can skip it or quickly slam through it -- he takes literally hours and really doesn't score any points in our estimation. You won't miss anything by skipping it. He's polite and respectful, etc., but his questions go nowhere.

We'll see what happens Monday -- the prosecution should be finished in a couple of days as long as the x-exams don't take too long. Maybe a detective/investigator will try to explain what happened when -- if possible -- and then the M.E., and they will prolly end with Nation's testimony. Bring a box of tissues because that is sure to be a heart-breaker.

Hahn stabbing scene 'stuck with' police officer

Posted 10:34 a.m. yesterday
Updated 5:33 p.m. yesterday

But defense attorneys say Broyhill never intended to hurt the Hahns, that "something snapped" and that his only motive was to hurt himself.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/hahn-stabbing-scene-stuck-with-police-officer/14495824/#oy0S4Dk6pP1RMVdL.99
---------------------------------------------------

Quoted from Boodles:

Its as though he's trying to filibuster his way to a 2nd degree (vs 1st) verdict.

"something snapped" = 2nd Degree.

Yep, that's what they're doing, Boods.

ETA: I hope His Honor will add 2nd degree as an "added charge." I've seen it often enuff in 1st Murder cases in NC -- the judge, in his/her discretion, can add it. Apparently some verdicts have been overturned because the jurors did not have that choice, felt the defendant was guilty and did not want to see him/her walk away free.

I thought Caroline made some interesting points about the markers the CCBI Agent put down showing the blood trail. I'm not sure what point she was trying to make (I guess it may be made later), but these are my questions about it. Were all of the blood spots outside the blood of Jamie or was any of it that of Nation? If they all are of Jamie, then did the trail show her leaving her side door, going to the neighbor next door, leaving that house, walking into the street, then up to the Harrell's yard where she collapsed? Is that right?

This may be a repeat with some updates:

Neighbors comforted a fading Hahn as she bled after stabbing

Posted 1:39 p.m. Thursday
Updated 2:45 p.m. yesterday

Read more at http://www.wral.com/neighbors-comfo...stabbing-attack/14492863/#TsQukE8MmOSWQgOS.99

ETA: And here's an article from the N&O:

Jonathan Broyhill told Raleigh police he wanted to end his life

Man charged with killing Hahn wanted to take his own life

By Anne Blythe

ablythe@newsobserver.com

03/06/2015 4:19 PM
03/06/2015 8:14 PM

As far as the defense goes, I was thinking that they may be trying to delve into such minutiae to reveal even the smallest of mistake by anyone. Perhaps, knowing there isn't a way to "win" this case (since JB has admitted guilt already), they really have to try hard for 2nd degree. And, they may feel it will be a hard thing to convince the jury of, with the premeditation of a concealed weapon that was brought to the house. So, could they be hoping to find that a cop mishandled evidence/the crime scene or that the neighbors changed their stories or whatever and that would be cause for an appeal. The appeal might be something they are aiming for if they can't get this jury to vote for 2nd degree. You know, the volume of information would have to produce some inaccuracy even if it really isn't relevant to guilt. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other reason why the defense attorney's preparation and effort is so focused on details that seem meaningless and off subject. That's just my thought and nothing else.

Jmt707, I agree with you. I am perplexed as well. There may be some method to the madness. We'll see. I did think that Carolina's cross with the CCBI agent was helpful as it made the blood trail markers make more sense to me. Assuming I'm following it correctly

But, as far as a mistake of a trivial nature goes, well....on appeal, for a reversal or new trial it is has to be reversible errors, as opposed to harmless. Even if it was an error and it is unlikely it would have made a difference in the outcome, then it's usually said to be okay. Of course, I'm NOT an appeals expert and I'm not an expert as approved by these boards, so it's just my opinion. I think some explanation of the lengthy cross by Arbor would be welcomed.

jmt - That sounds probable, but other than closing arguments, I'm not sure how they can get it in -- they've already nit-picked certain witnesses down to a grain -- and they can't call any of them back other than Stacey Johnson, the CCBI Investigator, IINM. And it could set some watermarks for appeal -- I hadn't thought of that angle, but it's valid, IMO. And they could have their own investigator, but he/she was not on the scene at the time.
But still, your argument makes a lot of sense. Surely the mind-numbing detail cross-exams have a purpose...

And Prancy, thanks for your remarks about an appeal, etc. Good information.

I thought Caroline made some interesting points about the markers the CCBI Agent put down showing the blood trail. I'm not sure what point she was trying to make (I guess it may be made later), but these are my questions about it. Were all of the blood spots outside the blood of Jamie or was any of it that of Nation? If they all are of Jamie, then did the trail show her leaving her side door, going to the neighbor next door, leaving that house, walking into the street, then up to the Harrell's yard where she collapsed? Is that right?

Yeah, Elliot did hit on the blood trail pretty hard -- but I don't think we know yet whose blood was whose -- the PT may call in a CCBI DNA expert to detail that part -- or the DT may do it.

And it seems to me, your recall of the path of Jamie using the blood stains is the same as mine -- the path from her house to next door to across the street to the Harrell's house.

I do think some of the blood may indeed be Nation's. He was all over the place -- he probably took the same path as Jamie but perhaps without the stop next door; he apparently had no bandages or anything; and it sounded like one of his fingers was nearly cut in two, and that would have to be bloody, IMO.

What will we see tomorrow, peeps? DNA expert? A RPD detective/investigator? One of the doctors who attended Jamie? The M.E.? Nation? Will they rest tomorrow or Tuesday?

Good Morning, Folks -- Got here late -- just heard the last part of the PT's witness, the M.E. Now I am merrily listening to Arbour's crossssssssssssssss.............

Just in case anyone needs it, here's a link to the live-streaming of the trial:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/14487935/

What is this controversy about?? What is the defense atty saying would be a violation of Broyhill's rights, due process? Who's the witness they're discussing, a detective?

Getting ready to listen to 4/26/13 recording of RPD interview with JB in his hospital bed when he was still at Wake Med. Mirandized. Det's. Morse & Gill & JB present.

Courtroom camera on JB -- he is rocking from left to right in his chair -- I've noticed that he does this at certain times -- it appears to me that he does it when more stressful evidence is being presented. Just my opinion & observation....

Boodles - The PT is gonna play an interview of JB and two RPD detectives taken on 4/26/13 when he was still in the hospital -- they recorded 3 interviews: Apr 23, 25, and 26. Arbour's objection is he thinks it is unfair not to play the other two since they were really "all part on one whole" -- Judge says he'll read the transcript & make a decision later. Judge lets the PT present the 4/26 interview.

No real biggie.

Thanks borndem- I can barely hear anything JB is saying in the audio. So far, I've heard he bought the knife at Harris Teeter 2-3 weeks prior when he was having a "down day," stabbed Jamie first in the back while she sat with her back toward him at the kitchen table, that he had booked a trip to Vegas the night before but cancelled it Monday. I haven't heard him say why he did this or what prompted him to react. I heard him say he hadn't thought out what he would to afterward.

Anyone catching other things? I assume the audio is fading out for y'all as well.

eta: I'm trying to drum up some compassion for this apparently mentally defective defendant. I'm not coming up with much. He seems self-absorbed and attention seeking. Sounds like he's sucking up the attention from law enforcement. I think he expects others to sympathize.

In recess until 2:30EDT. Judge enters 4/23 & 4/25 as "Court's exhibits." No more business. Fade to blue.

RPD Detective Morse (f/n Zeke, IIRC) will prolly be up next. He's slim, cute, and the one who usually wears bow ties & is always dressed very nicely. He was the lead detective on the Jason Williford murder/rape (Kathy Taft, victim) trial, IINM. Very serious and very good. It should be interesting & maybe we'll find out more about what JB said on the interviews since the sound of JB's voice on the DVD (no video) was so faint -- I couldn't hear most of his responses, but I do have diminished hearing. Maybe everyone else could hear him. We may, however, first hear the recordings of the April 23rd and 25th interviews.

Later, Peeps.
icon6.png

Thanks borndem- I can barely hear anything JB is saying in the audio. So far, I've heard he bought the knife at Harris Teeter 2-3 weeks prior when he was having a "down day," stabbed Jamie first in the back while she sat with her back toward him at the kitchen table, that he had booked a trip to Vegas the night before but cancelled it Monday. I haven't heard him say why he did this or what prompted him to react. I heard him say he hadn't thought out what he would to afterward.

Anyone catching other things? I assume the audio is fading out for y'all as well.

eta: I'm trying to drum up some compassion for this apparently mentally defective defendant. I'm not coming up with much. He seems self-absorbed and attention seeking. Sounds like he's sucking up the attention from law enforcement. I think he expects others to sympathize.

Hmmmmm, compassion... I don't think he is an evil guy -- sounds ridiculous, I know, due to the horrible wounds he put on poor little Jamie, and the heartache & pain NH and her family will carry with them until their deaths. She just bled to death, I think. And he said he stabbed her in the back first (if I heard correctly) -- just slammed it in her, I guess, so she was prolly not doing well at all from the get-go -- she prolly couldn't even stand up straight. Was that the wound that messed up her lung? It would have made every breath painful & feel like not enuff breath, etc., at a time when she needed to find a door and exit the house ASAP.

I do think a lot of bottled up angst, rage, shame and frustration was in that first wound that JB inflicted on Jamie along with all the rest of the injuries, and the injuries to Nation.

I still say JB was in love with NH, prolly ever since they met -- NH was prolly so sweet-natured and easy-going that he didn't notice JB's real feelings for him -- at least at first, if not longer. All this JMHO. Aside from his sexuality, I would think that JB felt he couldn't measure up to the Hahn's in any way -- no college, not good-looking, no money (I assume), piddly jobs, etc., etc. And when JH started talking to JB about the campaign account, it just made him unleash on her his feelings of shame, unrequited love, frustration and all of it. He grew up in a conservative and religious family and did not come out to his family -- until it all came out, IMO -- at least that is what we've heard so far from the DT's opening statement. He may not have ever come out to NH -- I have no idea. So that part of JB is a point for compassion -- I think many of us who are 40 y/o or older have known people that were made to be ashamed of their homosexuality, and that is so wrong and so potentially dangerous for the one who is suffering from it -- and in this case dangerous to others.

None -- none of this mitigates what he did, both before the embezzlement and after it, IMO, but that's my not-knowing-very-much take on this thing. It's not over yet and I could be way off base...

All just my o.

He did "come out" to Jamie and Nation per the opening statements. It was said they didn't care about his being gay, but JB did. I'm not sure what that means, except maybe JB dwelled on this aspect of his life. He was a hanger-on, it sounds like. He stole money, buying himself iPads and a car, and who knows what else.

And I'm sure his soul was tortured by being gay from a family of fundamentalist Christians who may well have spewed disgust toward his kind, and that's gotta hurt.

But he he bought that knife 2-3 weeks before stabbing Jamie. He planned it. Be a man and accept responsibility for your premeditated crime. This "snapped" defense is just not true, per the audio statements the defendant himself made. But I guess he still needs more attention and is getting it via this trial. Hope he's enjoying it.

I have no no idea what that defense attorney, Arbour, is doing spending so much time on who said what and when, and who knew what at what point in time. How does that relate to whether JB premeditated this or not? I'm not getting any point from his tactics. But I feel like he has some intention with all of this. He is too detailed in his questioning to just be filling time.

Oh, and JB also stabbed Jamie in the upper right chest. It cut an artery and penetrated her lung. So between bleeding internally and externally and being unable to breathe, it was fatal. They tried to surgically repair (at least) that damage, but apparently she was too far gone. That poor woman, her poor family... :(

Yes Boodles, she suffered grave injuries. Was she able to cry out? I wish I could have heard more of that interview with JB, but it was too quiet. I only caught pieces. From the parts I did hear, it sounded like JB was very casual about it all. I didn't hear anything that sounded like he was sad or remorseful. Odd. Is he a sociopath?

Prancy, listen via the link I posted above! It's good audio, not from court, but directly from the interview, and you can hear almost everything JB says, and it's verrrry interesting. He bought himself a Volvo with the money he embezzled.

At at one point, JB said he doesn't want to talk about embezzlement without an attorney, but is willing to discuss the murder (how crazy is that?) (But then later they talk more about embezzling when detective Gill mentions it. Maybe that's why the defense attorney is being so anal about who said what, when. Maybe it's because JB said he didn't want to talk about the embezzlement without an attorney, but they ended up talking about it later, and the defense maybe wants to use this as a grounds for something later??).

However, after he stabbed Jamie in the back, JB conveniently doesn't remember anything else until he hears the police calling him to come outside from the house. He's not forthcoming. He does not have an iota of remorse in his demeanor, IMO. It's all about himself. I don't know enough about sociopaths to guess whether he might be one. It's possible. I do think he's a pathological liar. I don't think he's being truthful in that interview...he totally minimizes the embezzlement and denies any communication with Jamie about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back