GUILTY NC - Jameson 'Jamie' Hahn, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 22 April 201

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmmmm, this is interesting, although old news. It's from a WRAL article posted April 30, 2013, and updated May 13, 2013

Miller said last week that questions recently surfaced about nearly $60,000 in missing campaign funds and that Jamie Hahn had planned to confront Broyhill about the missing money. Jamie Hahn's stepfather has said that, when she did, Broyhill "just lost it."

Read more at http://www.wral.com/broyhill-releas...-stabbing-death/12395134/#GfMFcISmx3UP6Yhz.99

Here's another from WRAL, dated April 26, 2013:

Checks totaling nearly $16,000 were reported as refunds to five donors in April 2012. All five donors have confirmed they never received the money.

Another $3,000 in phantom checks were written to two political committees and the North Carolina Museum of Art. Those, too, were never received.
Miller said Wednesday that Jamie Hahn recently learned of issues with Broyhill's management and had planned to ask him to hand over the campaign's checks and bank records. Miller said then he didn't know if that conversation ever happened.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/ex-congressman-...-campaign-funds/12385409/#DbLXvwYMfrpmQIjs.99

Lots of comments from Miller -- he said he thought more money was being spent than what would be usual since the account should have been inactive by that time.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just my opinion, but I think they were having that very conversation when he!! broke loose in that kitchen. I feel sure that JB was feeling the walls closing in on him -- thus the pancreatic cancer thing. He knew. And he knew Jamie knew. Her stepfather said she knew... And Jonathan Broyhill brought that knife... MOO.

Nation testified that they did not know at that time about the embezzlement. I thought they did though until I heard his testimony. Maybe I'm wrong, but Nation never said he and Jamie discussed the possibility of Jon embezzling money. If she didn't have the login to the online banking or bank statements, I don't see how she could've known. I guess it's possible that she went to the bank that day, but I feel sure she would've called Nation to talk to him about it.

I was thinking that maybe she asked him to get his computer and log into the bank account, or she simply told him they had to get the campaign/filing/etc. stuff done right away. The fact that her back was to him suggests to me that she was doing something else(or just looking at something), and was waiting for Jon to sit down to go over the campaign stuff with her. So knowing he was about to get caught, he decided to do it then.

I really think the LV ticket and the amtrak ticket were purchased because he was planning to run after killing both of them. I also think he planned to do it the previous night, but other people were at their house(IIRC). I keep thinking that maybe he was planning to do it in their sleep that previous night. That would've given him time to get on a plane/train early the next morning, had neither of them made it out of the house or to a phone. I think he decided to hurt himself because he realized he was going to get caught after they both made it out of the house.

These theories are obviously JMHO. Anyone else have any ideas about the amtrak/plane ticket?

Hmmmm, this is interesting, although old news. It's from a WRAL article posted April 30, 2013, and updated May 13, 2013

Read more at http://www.wral.com/broyhill-releas...-stabbing-death/12395134/#GfMFcISmx3UP6Yhz.99

Here's another from WRAL, dated April 26, 2013:

Read more at http://www.wral.com/ex-congressman-...-campaign-funds/12385409/#DbLXvwYMfrpmQIjs.99

Lots of comments from Miller -- he said he thought more money was being spent than what would be usual since the account should have been inactive by that time.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just my opinion, but I think they were having that very conversation when he!! broke loose in that kitchen. I feel sure that JB was feeling the walls closing in on him -- thus the pancreatic cancer thing. He knew. And he knew Jamie knew. Her stepfather said she knew... And Jonathan Broyhill brought that knife... MOO.

It's difficult to come up with the motivation here, but your scenario does make sense Tedanddix. I had thought that Jamie and NH were aware that funds were gone and the defendant had likely taken them inappropriately, but according to NH's testimony that was not the case. So, while Jamie may have had suspicions, she apparently had not shared that with NH. But, the plan to take them out during the night would make sense, only JB never got the chance, since Jamie was at the table requesting that they deal with the account issue then. Panic set in and he just went into the mode of stopping that from happening. I do not believe the defendant's version that it had nothing to do with the missing funds.

Tedanddix -- your scenario is very logical -- it does make the Amtrak transaction make more sense. Jamie was sitting at her desk and JB got the knife and went over to her at the desk and stabbed her in the back, or something like that. And then it was on....

I'll bet that Arbour has never had laryngitis in his entire life.

I can't understand the confusion about the money being missing and who knew what when. I feel like Nation isn't being forthcoming for some reason. But none of it makes sense to me. For example, if I was managing a campaign, got a call from a bill collector, mailed a check (without access to bank records), and it bounced, I wouldn't go off to the beach and not discuss it with the guy in charge of the $. I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug, urgently. I would confront him asap send take action. I would tell my DH since I share so much with him and am in constant contact with him. The whole thing is weird.

Abour is the worst! He literally went from talking about neighbor kid walking out of house on the night of the murder ... to asking who's house they were staying at on the beach and then to Jon and all his fake diseases!!!!!! He is all over the place just reviewing, restating and narrating what is already on the record. Somebody makes him sit down and shut up!!!!

He's repeating and rehashing everything he already covered!! Ad nauseum! What a freakin idiot. I can't believe the judge is allowing this, or why the prosecutor isn't objecting. WTH?!?

He's repeating and rehashing everything he already covered!! Ad nauseum! What a freakin idiot. I can't believe the judge is allowing this, or why the prosecutor isn't objecting. WTH?!?
Prosecutor needs to stand up and say ...Asked and answered! I'm going crazy again today and it's going to go on all day I am afraid

I can't understand the confusion about the money being missing and who knew what when. I feel like Nation isn't being forthcoming for some reason. But none of it makes sense to me. For example, if I was managing a campaign, got a call from a bill collector, mailed a check (without access to bank records), and it bounced, I wouldn't go off to the beach and not discuss it with the guy in charge of the $. I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug, urgently. I would confront him asap send take action. I would tell my DH since I share so much with him and am in constant contact with him. The whole thing is weird.

Good point, Boodles. I've had the same thought because it seems to go in circles. Maybe Jamie knew/suspected something pretty serious with the account and wanted to talk to JB about it first before she said anything to Nation since her suspicions were verging on a large embezzlement of a criminal nature.

I think a lot of that can be contributed to Jamie's personality. She wasn't one to panic easily or automatically think the worst. At least that's how I had known her to be. I used to hold similar positions to her on campaigns, and I would have reacted very differently, but who would assume that someone had stolen over 45k?!? Especially her friend? I think she figured he may have screwed some things up or wasn't getting things done(due to depression, health, etc.) but I don't think she would've ever thought he stole. Especially not that kind of money.

Strangely, I know of another campaign where someone embezzled over 30k in another state. The guy handling the $ had been in charge of the campaign acct for years and when a new campaign manager(CM) came on board , he stalled and made excuses for not getting bank acct info to the new CM. Finally the CM took things into his own hands and went to the bank. The guy got arrested and went to prison, but months went by from the first time the CM asked about the bank and when he actually figured things out. I just think no one expects that sort of things, but even more so in Jamie's case because it was her close friend. JMHO.

I think a lot of that can be contributed to Jamie's personality. She wasn't one to panic easily or automatically think the worst. At least that's how I had known her to be. I used to hold similar positions to her on campaigns, and I would have reacted very differently, but who would assume that someone had stolen over 45k?!? Especially her friend? I think she figured he may have screwed some things up or wasn't getting things done(due to depression, health, etc.) but I don't think she would've ever thought he stole. Especially not that kind of money.

Strangely, I know of another campaign where someone embezzled over 30k in another state. The guy handling the $ had been in charge of the campaign acct for years and when a new campaign manager(CM) came on board , he stalled and made excuses for not getting bank acct info to the new CM. Finally the CM took things into his own hands and went to the bank. The guy got arrested and went to prison, but months went by from the first time the CM asked about the bank and when he actually figured things out. I just think no one expects that sort of things, but even more so in Jamie's case because it was her close friend. JMHO.

These IM's to Nation while meeting with JB make it sound like she is not confident about how to approach all of it and uncomfortable with conflict. Nation is coaching her. But that means Nation did know about the issues. Didn't JB wonder what Jamie was doing typing on her computer while meeting with him?

Were jamie and Nation quite naïve?

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that Jamie or NH knew about the missing funds, so, if NH says they weren't aware of it, then I guess we have to believe that. The only one to dispute it would be the defendant. We'll see if that happens. And the documents that were laying on the kitchen table at the time of the attack support what NH is saying, right?

I didn't realize she was typing while meeting with him. I assumed he'd just come over the work and she'd chat with Nation. Most of the politician operatives I know used google chat quite a bit, so I don't know that he would've thought much of it unless she would talk to him and then pause for long periods to chat with NH.

Yes, naive might be an accurate description of both of them. I don't mean it in a negative way. They really just wanted to see the best in people. It's hard for me to imagine Jamie being confrontational. She really empathized with people, and I think that was where she struggled with Jon. Most other political operatives get disillusioned and complain about their jobs, but neither of the Hahn's showed any of that.

These IM's to Nation while meeting with JB make it sound like she is not confident about how to approach all of it and uncomfortable with conflict. Nation is coaching her. But that means Nation did know about the issues. Didn't JB wonder what Jamie was doing typing on her computer while meeting with him?

Were jamie and Nation quite naïve?

I thought NH said that Jamie was on the phone that day when he walked in. He hugged JB and went upstairs.

I don't know them enough to comment on them being naive, but I will say that I was surprised that JB got his job handling the money with no financial background and no college degree in finance. Perhaps that's not common in that field, but I would think it odd.

Hahahahaha, on redirect, defense objected to admission of a photo due to "no probative value." Ironic, since his whole cross-examination had no probative value! Glad the judge overruled the objection.

The job isn't exactly hard. Mainly requires organization. Most campaigns use software that makes it very simple to do the accounting. Jon couldn't have been working 8 hour days even before Miller decided not to run. There just wouldn't be that much work, and they weren't raising millions of dollars.

I do believe Jon had an accounting type job at Universal Mental Health in Lenoir and then he xferred to Raleigh, IIRC.

I thought NH said that Jamie was on the phone that day when he walked in. He hugged JB and went upstairs.

I don't know them enough to comment on them being naive, but I will say that I was surprised that JB got his job handling the money with no financial background and no college degree in finance. Perhaps that's not common in that field, but I would think it odd.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
username_not_found
Back