GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/jason-corbett-gave-martens-family-80k

Mr Griggs also raised questions about a transfer from the account of Jason Corbett to Molly Martens’s parents in the amount of $80,000 in May 2011.
After her testimony, Mr Griggs asked for a pursuit of discovery, which would give him the authority to access bank records to determine if Jason Corbett provided money to Molly’s parents for any of the items in the home.

Does this mean that they are looking for access to the parents bank account history? The property at 160 Panthers Creek Court was purchased in May 2011.

The extended family have shown an extraordinary level of interest in all this, and they certainly jumped in fast to control events. On the surface this would just seem like a narcissistic young wife who killed her husband in a rage and the family is supporting her in a misguided way; but their "support" goes way beyond that. Maybe that $80,000 is a clue? Is that enough money for parents, uncles and aunts to be so invested in keeping custody of the kids and blaming Jason for his own death?
This case sort of reminds me of Kristin Rossum (Rose Petal/ American Beauty Murder) whose parents fiercely defended her and were prepared to lie under oath, to blame their son-in-law for his own death. But in comparison, their motives were relatively pure - they "just" wanted to protect their daughter from jail. There seems to be a lot more going on here.

Was the pursuit of discovery to their bank accounts granted by the judge?,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea was it granted. As they already have access to the joint accounts of J&M Corbett it suggests that they are looking for access to the parents account??

The extended family have shown an extraordinary level of interest in all this, and they certainly jumped in fast to control events. On the surface this would just seem like a narcissistic young wife who killed her husband in a rage and the family is supporting her in a misguided way; but their "support" goes way beyond that. Maybe that $80,000 is a clue? Is that enough money for parents, uncles and aunts to be so invested in keeping custody of the kids and blaming Jason for his own death?
This case sort of reminds me of Kristin Rossum (Rose Petal/ American Beauty Murder) whose parents fiercely defended her and were prepared to lie under oath, to blame their son-in-law for his own death. But in comparison, their motives were relatively pure - they "just" wanted to protect their daughter from jail. There seems to be a lot more going on here.
Thats a great way to open up the case Francesca.. what are the possibilities? The only cases I have worked on in USa were minorities, police killings. I have no experience with middle American domestic killings.. probably missing out on lots of socio info that is relevant but not apparent. The 'players are molly, her parents, her aunt and her uncle and possibly her supporters.. Are supporters a normal aspect in these cases, like the one to which you referred and others here? Is it a ruse or par for the course? Like you said, while $80,000 is substantial, its not really motive enough either. where else would you suggest we search? Is there anything really jarring you on first sight that is absent or present in other cases here?

It may be stmarysmead, but was it? She was on Lithium and there was a reference to Jason's sister being alarmed that she didnt lock her medications away and the children could have picked them up and played with them/injested them, i think this was in relation to the custody case and molly's fitness as a mother.
I am wary of sleuthing this case as a case of mania/ bi-polar when we dont actually have access to her medical records or diagnosis. It is frequently misdiagnosed is another point. If we are going down that avenue, are we creating a defense for her? If it was molly that inflicted the fatal blows, was it her or her illness? Will she plead insanity? She was 22 when she came to ireland. Young, and on lithium.. Was it childhood onset or did some major event in her childhood fracture her psyche? Was she abused as a child? After reading Francesca's post just now... the overbearing nature of the extended family is coming home as a very valid point. They are audacious, have been dishonest in their public interviews and even inciting in some of their social media posts.. Why the arrogance, why the thinly veiled ire, like a coven.. its a bit creepy

If you have followed the American police killings, you can see that strong feelings on a "hot issue" brings supporters out if the woodwork, pro and con. Domestic violence is one of those "hot issues." In my opinion, this was the whole point of Molly's FB page. She is "marketing" herself to those who feel strongly about domestic violence and/or have been victims of DV themselves. They may not know her or know the facts of a particular case, but emotionally become invested on her side.

Often, the media takes a side, as they did in the notorious Duke Lacrosse Rape case. They dug up every bit of negativity about the young men accused with mostly front page stories, but, in one example...when it was learned that Crystal Mangum had made almost the same accusation against three young Black men...that detail was reported by the local paper in a small column in the sports pages. Finally, the case fell apart, the District Attorney was disbarred and after later being tried for arson and getting off with time served, the false accuser Mangum is now in jail, having murdered her boyfriend.

I had some fear that the media might treat Jason the same way, seizing on the domestic violence issue and hiding any negativity about Molly. Jason could be portrayed as a total brute...with their selective reporting. My suspicion has been that Molly and family had hopes this would happen too.

Jason's family must keep up the good work of presenting Jason as the good man he is. Our media loves to pick criminal cases to push an issue, whether it fits or not.

My opinion only.

It may be stmarysmead, but was it? She was on Lithium and there was a reference to Jason's sister being alarmed that she didnt lock her medications away and the children could have picked them up and played with them/injested them, i think this was in relation to the custody case and molly's fitness as a mother.
I am wary of sleuthing this case as a case of mania/ bi-polar when we dont actually have access to her medical records or diagnosis. It is frequently misdiagnosed is another point. If we are going down that avenue, are we creating a defense for her? If it was molly that inflicted the fatal blows, was it her or her illness? Will she plead insanity? She was 22 when she came to ireland. Young, and on lithium.. Was it childhood onset or did some major event in her childhood fracture her psyche? Was she abused as a child? After reading Francesca's post just now... the overbearing nature of the extended family is coming home as a very valid point. They are audacious, have been dishonest in their public interviews and even inciting in some of their social media posts.. Why the arrogance, why the thinly veiled ire, like a coven.. its a bit creepy

Good points.

And you are correct that we cannot sleuth here on that point anyway..because we cannot obtain more information. The only thing I would add is that I have read that substance abuse exacerbates bipolar disease. I wonder if she was tested for sobriety that night?

Good points.

And you are correct that we cannot sleuth here on that point anyway..because we cannot obtain more information. The only thing I would add is that I have read that substance abuse exacerbates bipolar disease. I wonder if she was tested for sobriety that night?

Excellent point, I was wondering about that too and then I forgot because I figured she probably was not tested.. and if not could she use it as defence? What is normal practice in USA when its not a DUI while driving? A very likely scenario given that witnesses have attested she was a heavy margharita drinker (spell?) God yes

I wonder if Molly and TM were taken to a hospital by police since they were claiming to have been "choked" and "in a donnybrook." I think that is very possible. If so, blood may have been drawn and tests done for alcohol, drugs, etc.

I wonder if Molly and TM were taken to a hospital by police since they were claiming to have been "choked" and "in a donnybrook." I think that is very possible. If so, blood may have been drawn and tests done for alcohol, drugs, etc.

It would be great if they had been but I never saw a report they had even been seen by a doctor.. I did see references from Molly stating she did not bruise. Bruising is caused by blood leaking into tissues following an injury, did she mean she didnt develop colour externally on injury? Blood has to go somewhere if it is compressed.. a neck injury due to compression ...damage to cricoid, cervical vertebrae, throat , blood circulation to head , all kinds of injuries are possible. I did notice TM had a defensive tone to his otherwise zombified voice in the course of the tel call to the emergency services. He said it twice 'he was choking/or/trying to choke my daughter'
she would at least have fainted, one would imagine. But I wonder whether allowances were made due to their fbi contacts and normal procedure dispensed with, if they both claimed they did not need medical aid and were uninjured. It would also be interesting to know how they were dressed and whether either had changed their clothes, was house, wshing machine, bags etc searched at that point , or at all.. it was coming towards morning.. uncle had been contacted and was en route.. what time did he arrive, I wonder?

I'll start by admitting that the following opinion is only formed by my interest in several high profile cases over the years. It is my opinion that local police are not overly impressed with the FBI and do not at times cooperate well when they are called in on their cases. When they walked into that house and found a man not just dead, but battered all over his body, a bloody mess, I don't think TM was getting any favors.

TM is not anybody important....even if he thinks he is. I doubt he was treated any differently than anyone else would be...who had just admitted to participating in a murder.

An acquaintance's son was in an altercation last weekend...basically a fight between two young men in a parking lot. (No serious injuries) Both were taken to the police station and then were required to be taken to a hospital before they were eventually released. I don't know if this is the procedure everywhere...this is in a different state than NC. But although they both tried to refuse, they were required to have a hospital exam. Maybe some else knows if this is common procedure everywhere in the US?

I'll start by admitting that the following opinion is only formed by my interest in several high profile cases over the years. It is my opinion that local police are not overly impressed with the FBI and do not at times cooperate well when they are called in on their cases. When they walked into that house and found a man not just dead, but battered all over his body, a bloody mess, I don't think TM was getting any favors.

TM is not anybody important....even if he thinks he is. I doubt he was treated any differently than anyone else would be...who had just admitted to participating in a murder.

An acquaintance's son was in an altercation last weekend...basically a fight between two young men in a parking lot. (No serious injuries) Both were taken to the police station and then were required to be taken to a hospital before they were eventually released. I don't know if this is the procedure everywhere...this is in a different state than NC. But although they both tried to refuse, they were required to have a hospital exam. Maybe some else knows if this is common procedure everywhere in the US?

I would imagine that the alleged victim of attempted murder would be medically examined. They would have to check if she needed medical treatment.

I agree that I think local LE cut TM no slack at all. If he tried to throw his weight around it would probably have the opposite effect.

So many questions, hopefully some of you with inside information can help us out here. One would think that both MM and TM had their blood drawn, when it became apparent they were at the scene when a person was murdered. But, perhaps with TM's LE connections, it might not have happened. Does anyone know?

As far as a child's bat is concerned, it is definitely a lethal weapon. They are made of aluminum, and are easily wielded.

IMHO

She testified that numerous individuals had been to the home on her behalf.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...if-martens-breached-court-order-34419403.html

"She told the court these included lawyers, friends and family, including her father and her aunt and uncle, Mona and Mike Earnest.
The Clerk of the Court Brian Shipwash did not make a decision yesterday on whether the order had been violated.
He said he would review the testimony and determine the matter at a later date."

Imagine...her Father charged with murder is rummaging around the crime scene. AND the Aunt and Uncle!

It would be great if they had been but I never saw a report they had even been seen by a doctor.. I did see references from Molly stating she did not bruise. Bruising is caused by blood leaking into tissues following an injury, did she mean she didnt develop colour externally on injury? Blood has to go somewhere if it is compressed.. a neck injury due to compression ...damage to cricoid, cervical vertebrae, throat , blood circulation to head , all kinds of injuries are possible. I did notice TM had a defensive tone to his otherwise zombified voice in the course of the tel call to the emergency services. He said it twice 'he was choking/or/trying to choke my daughter'
she would at least have fainted, one would imagine. But I wonder whether allowances were made due to their fbi contacts and normal procedure dispensed with, if they both claimed they did not need medical aid and were uninjured. It would also be interesting to know how they were dressed and whether either had changed their clothes, was house, wshing machine, bags etc searched at that point , or at all.. it was coming towards morning.. uncle had been contacted and was en route.. what time did he arrive, I wonder?

I think it was very likely they were examined by someone even if it were a paramedic and their clothes etc would have been taken for examination too. As it would seem there was a lot of blood at the scene it's likely this would have transferred onto their clothes even when they were doing the CPR. The martens are not leaking anything , they are keeping their cards close to their chest about what went down which I'm sure their v experienced lawyer advised them to do. All they have revealed is the self defence card and no other details. It's pretty clear how the prosecution are proceeding from what has been released in so far but no clear indication what the martens have up their sleeve.

She testified that numerous individuals had been to the home on her behalf.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...if-martens-breached-court-order-34419403.html

"She told the court these included lawyers, friends and family, including her father and her aunt and uncle, Mona and Mike Earnest.
The Clerk of the Court Brian Shipwash did not make a decision yesterday on whether the order had been violated.
He said he would review the testimony and determine the matter at a later date."

Imagine...her Father charged with murder is rummaging around the crime scene. AND the Aunt and Uncle!

this is one of those times I wish to emit several swear words!!!!!

Oh Gawd, its all panning out as you said weeks ago and again today re lack of resources, how much of a work onus is actually on Jason's family and private investigating..
Her godawful friends were there too!!!
The ones who were trying to turn Jason into a mass murderer by suggesting he killed his first wife too..
Chain of evidence folks!!! I'm not likin' this at all..
Also, did her lawyer not issue a statement denying her presence at the house on the day the removal men showed up? He did!
appears as though they have done exactly as they pleased since the murder.
Bailed on a pittance! Sandra bland received a $5000 for failing to indicate a lane change. She subsequently died .
We dont know how much time they had alone with his body before the arrival of the EMT.
We dont know how or why momma martens is being kept out of the narrative,just that its usually expensive.
His bank accounts were not frozen immediately and she extracted quite a lrge amount of money acc to the warrants.
She also obtained his 'personal effects' from his office, even though the office manager had contacted the police when they received the initial call from the man who declared himself to be a federal agent.
All her lawyers have apparently at least bent the truth and obscured facts.
She fought for custody of the children. The very fact that the children had been placed in her care following their father's murder in antithetical to sanity or reason.
She showed no respect for jason's family.
She was allowed loose on social media to construct her macabre campaign and abused woman narrative.
She breached a court order, clearly by taking joint possessions from the house.
Although there was issued a warrant for tm telephone records, there was no search warrant of his home and he had the skill to delete forever whatever it was he did not want to be known. He also had sufficient time to do so.
This is possibly only a fraction of the list.
Agree Feds can be despised by local cops, but we do not know who pulled what strings.
If MM and tm had been 'minorities' they would have been jailed and not given bail to do any of the above.
Also, dates on some of the warrants were for quite a few months following the murder.
A very nice turn of events would be if the aunt and uncle and 'friends' became charged with the crime of accessory after the fact.. no harm wishin'. but thats about all that could turn this around now in relation to above report.
Its not so good, is it?
Is there aNYTHING, even a different search engine we could use to investigate this more deeply?
We nEED a whole history of that entire family. From when they were all little children.. school records, hospital records, everything.
There has to be a way to search it out.

I think it was very likely they were examined by someone even if it were a paramedic and their clothes etc would have been taken for examination too. As it would seem there was a lot of blood at the scene it's likely this would have transferred onto their clothes even when they were doing the CPR. The martens are not leaking anything , they are keeping their cards close to their chest about what went down which I'm sure their v experienced lawyer advised them to do. All they have revealed is the self defence card and no other details. It's pretty clear how the prosecution are proceeding from what has been released in so far but no clear indication what the martens have up their sleeve.

They are probably right to reveal as little as possible, as far as their own interest is concerned. The less said, the less likely they are to contradict themselves.

this is one of those times I wish to emit several swear words!!!!!

Oh Gawd, its all panning out as you said weeks ago and again today re lack of resources, how much of a work onus is actually on Jason's family and private investigating..
Her godawful friends were there too!!!
The ones who were trying to turn Jason into a mass murderer by suggesting he killed his first wife too..
Chain of evidence folks!!! I'm not likin' this at all..
Also, did her lawyer not issue a statement denying her presence at the house on the day the removal men showed up? He did!
appears as though they have done exactly as they pleased since the murder.
Bailed on a pittance! Sandra bland received a $5000 for failing to indicate a lane change. She subsequently died .
We dont know how much time they had alone with his body before the arrival of the EMT.
We dont know how or why momma martens is being kept out of the narrative,just that its usually expensive.
His bank accounts were not frozen immediately and she extracted quite a lrge amount of money acc to the warrants.
She also obtained his 'personal effects' from his office, even though the office manager had contacted the police when they received the initial call from the man who declared himself to be a federal agent.
All her lawyers have apparently at least bent the truth and obscured facts.
She fought for custody of the children. The very fact that the children had been placed in her care following their father's murder in antithetical to sanity or reason.
She showed no respect for jason's family.
She was allowed loose on social media to construct her macabre campaign and abused woman narrative.
She breached a court order, clearly by taking joint possessions from the house.
Although there was issued a warrant for tm telephone records, there was no search warrant of his home and he had the skill to delete forever whatever it was he did not want to be known. He also had sufficient time to do so.
This is possibly only a fraction of the list.
Agree Feds can be despised by local cops, but we do not know who pulled what strings.
If MM and tm had been 'minorities' they would have been jailed and not given bail to do any of the above.
Also, dates on some of the warrants were for quite a few months following the murder.
A very nice turn of events would be if the aunt and uncle and 'friends' became charged with the crime of accessory after the fact.. no harm wishin'. but thats about all that could turn this around now in relation to above report.
Its not so good, is it?
Is there aNYTHING, even a different search engine we could use to investigate this more deeply?
We nEED a whole history of that entire family. From when they were all little children.. school records, hospital records, everything.
There has to be a way to search it out.

I feel your pain, kittythehare. Lots of frustration with this case.

Since 1996 in the US, we have something called the HIPAA law. You can read about it here:

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/

This law makes it extremely difficult to dig up medical records. The law is so specific, that as a patient, you must give a medical professional permission to call you on the phone, and permission to leave a message on a recording device, or with a family member.

I hope this helps, the above link should answer more questions.

I still don't understand, how, if MM was being choked her father could hear this if he was down in the basement bedroom? Surely the very fact that someone had their hands around your neck and was choking you would cut off any 'screams', or at least would muffle them significantly. How then did TM hear MM and realise she was being in his words choked by Jason?

The family appear to be acting with impunity, the continued posting of the children's photos by the family, friends and supporter's of MM on social media, in direct violation of the children's privacy (many of the posters are total strangers to MM), with total disregard to child endangerment laws, and in total disrespect to the children's legal guardians wishes. Regarding the removal of items from the house, why if there was already a Court Order in place why did MM not request specific permission from the Court to enter the house and remove her own personal items, instead of having family, friends and lawyers do so on her behalf, leading to another hearing in relation to this? My only wish is that justice will be received by Jason, his children and his long suffering family. His family have demonstrated nothing but dignity throughout this horrendous ordeal, a dignity glaringly lacking within the Martens family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member