GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok can sleep now it's a load of Shania twain from defence ! Yet again. Mm must be having a tantrum and instructing them to get her the hell out of there at all costs. Prosecution just as in the trial clarify and calm the whole situation.

No worries.

Jmo

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Alex Rose ✔ @AlexRoseNews
Replying to @AlexRoseNews @myfox8
The motion claims jurors acted against instruction, claiming they read media reports and even had private conversations during #CorbettTrial

http://myfox8.com/2017/08/17/defens...wn-out-for-corbett-trial-for-jury-misconduct/

What is juror misconduct?

http://www.rotlaw.com/legal-library/what-is-jury-misconduct/

http://www.sdap.org/downloads/research/criminal/jmcdu.pdf

Defense is alleging that two jurors had private conversation(s), one of which took place the evening they arrived at verdict on Tom, and before the next day's verdict on Molly. Someone appears to have spied on them, noted car, names, time, and perhaps may have taken picture and given to the Defense attorneys. The Defense has not produced that affidavit of that witness as yet, stating it will be in Supplemental motion. The Defense motion is next to the WSJ article:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_f2c5d737-a38d-5732-998c-8f899c170ed0.html

of course and the question of contempt of court and prison for the jury member possible depending on how much it has cost the state the trial.

Defense motion refers to a witness who saw two jurors (Foreman and unnamed juror) having conversation outside or near the courthouse the night before verdicts were read out in court, noting car model, license, names of jurors, time conversation started, ended - stayed to watch jurors in private conversation in car. <modsnip> Question: Is this jury tampering/interference?

Only just caught up with the thread. Oh dear lord, make it shtap - please!
I'm a nobody, with no connection to either party, who's followed this for 2 years, and I'm exhausted.

What must the C & F families be feeling.
And the Ms (extended) family must be exhausted.

I suppose the two convicts are getting plenty of rest, mind you.

Ah, but the Lawyers. They gotta go lawyering
They're like rust.
And rust never sleeps

Defense motion refers to a witness who saw two jurors (Foreman and unnamed juror) having conversation outside or near the courthouse the night before verdicts were read out in court, noting car model, license, names of jurors, time conversation started, ended - stayed to watch jurors in private conversation in car. <modsnip> Question: Is this jury tampering/interference?
Aren't we on websleuths supposed to avoid rumors and provide supporting links?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone I've just joined but have been reading all your insightful comments and analysis throughout this trial. I wanted to add this link to a story on another old murder case here re how to spot signs of deception in police interview that I thought would be interesting to view in context of ABC interviews. This is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-body-language-Soham-killer-Ian-Huntley.html From my viewing of the interviews I see many of these tells from MM and TM.

Hi everyone I've just joined but have been reading all your insightful comments and analysis throughout this trial. I wanted to add this link to a story on another old murder case here re how to spot signs of deception in police interview that I thought would be interesting to view in context of ABC interviews. This is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-body-language-Soham-killer-Ian-Huntley.html From my viewing of the interviews I see many of these tells from MM and TM.

Thanks for that link MariaMac, it is a very interesting article. I remember that case well, was living in the UK at the time. It was horrific what he did to those two little girls, I remember seeing him being interviewed on the new as he joined those on the search for them. It was truly sickening. Definitely food for thought as you say in the context of the ABC interview.

Aren't we on websleuths supposed to avoid rumors and provide supporting links?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Apologies for the rumor, as stated in earlier post (with link to Defense Motion), the witness per Defense motion states the Model of car (Nissen), color, etc. and also states foreman of jury and another juror were in the car having private conversation for stated length of time. The Defense has not attached the Affidavit as yet, stating it will be provided with Supplemental motion. Here's link again, the Defense motion in pdf form to the left of article: http://www.journalnow.com/news/crime...99c170ed0.html

So would a witness, known to the defendant (a friend of defendant), watching, taking notes, waiting/timing a jurors actions, reporting back to defendants and their attorneys be considered "jury tampering"?

Apologies for the rumor, as stated in earlier post (with link to Defense Motion), the witness per Defense motion states the Model of car (Nissen), color, etc. and also states foreman of jury and another juror were in the car having private conversation for stated length of time. The Defense has not attached the Affidavit as yet, stating it will be provided with Supplemental motion. Here's link again, the Defense motion in pdf form to the left of article: http://www.journalnow.com/news/crime...99c170ed0.html

So would a witness, known to the defendant (a friend of defendant), watching, taking notes, waiting/timing a jurors actions, reporting back to defendants and their attorneys be considered "jury tampering"?
On the first day of the trial I recall judge forbidding camera and recording equipment and threatening severe punishments for any media source that exposed identities of jurors.
I am not sure whether act described by defence is in effect tampering.. but it could certainly be interpreted as intimidation,
It will be interesting to discover the identity of claimant.

I thought the double jeopardy rule was that a person cannot be charged/convicted with the same crime twice. However I'm sure there is plenty interpretation. And case law here. However the defence appear to want a retrial rather than just asking for conviction to be thrown out. Would the double jeopardy rule mean that murder, either 1 or 2 is off the table entirely and a lesser charge is all they could be looking at? Can't see them trying to pursue murder 1 in a retrial when they didn't have enough to pursue it without a doubt the first day. I must research the double jeopardy. Like say if a retrial is allowed, would the next step be for the defence to file a motion invoking the double jeopardy rule.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Double jeopardy means that the prosecution cannot appeal a verdict. In many countries, the prosecution can appeal a verdict on the basis of law - a legal error. In the US, it doesn't matter whether there is a legal error that effected the prosecution's case. The defense can appeal a verdict on legal grounds in the US.

In a retrial, the charges remain the same, and it is not considered double jeopardy.

<modsnip>

Jurors routinely discuss a case after the verdict, but they usually wait for the media to offer them a bucket of money and then give an interview in an interview setting.

I used to teach body language that I think that these jurors read about MM and TM in court so I put up a post about it a page back but nobody commented until now.

Thanks for posting this. I found it very interesting.

Defense motion refers to a witness who saw two jurors (Foreman and unnamed juror) having conversation outside or near the courthouse the night before verdicts were read out in court, noting car model, license, names of jurors, time conversation started, ended - stayed to watch jurors in private conversation in car. This witness (so far unnamed, awaiting Supplemental Motion from Defense) is rumored to have taken photograph of the two jurors, providing information to either Earnest and/or Martens' attorneys. Question: Is this jury tampering/interference?

Jurors are allowed to talk to each other before delivering a verdict, they're just not allowed to discuss the facts of the case. Proof that jurors talked to each other is meaningless.

In the same interview, the foreman stated that they had all become good friends and were going out for lunch. So to be come friends they must have had friendly conversations. I think the judge will look upon the act of spying on the jury worse than someone having a friendly conversation, after a gruelling day of evidence.IMO

Gosh I remember that case so vividly. I was still living in London, my family home was just a few minutes walk from the Old Bailey and I was studying for my degree. It was on the news non-stop, you would see J and H's faces on every paper, on every news bulletin.

Interesting story (for some maybe) I was doing my second year (which included criminal law) when they were on trial at the Old Bailey and a group of us in criminal law signed up for a tour of the Court; it was very interesting (useless fact - there is still a piece of glass embedded in the wall of the Court from an IRA bombing, they leave it there as a reminder to those using the Court). After an hour or two of a tour we were left to go our various ways to watch trials. The queue for the Huntley and Carr trial was around the block when we had arrived! I went into the trial of a black widow. It was so interesting and I have no doubt is where my love of following trials first manifested.

After lunch a few of us rushed to Court 1 and managed to get into the public gallery for Huntley and Carr. It was completely packed out. It was actually less interesting that the black widow case in that it was mostly barrister argument rather than witness testimony. We could only stay for an hour before we were to meet up again with our tutor and the rest of the group that had traveled there and head back to the University.

Completely off topic, sorry! But whenever I see his name come up it brings me back to the day

Stephan thanks for the judgment I had a browse on the way home yesterday along with the Robinson v Polk case also referred to and then considered the motion again. I am actually less concerned today by it than I was yesterday. Any references below are in regards to the defence motion which has been linked on the previous pages:

A. Private Conversations

The defence alleged that the comments of the foreman suggest that he and/or other jurors were participating in private conversations. They also suggest that the foreman stated that the closing argument 'had an impact'. Looking at this in two halves my own views are as follows:

(1) when asked if the prosecutions closing argument had impacted him, he stated "i think it impacted everybody, that wasn't a deciding factor though." This sentence immediately preceding the statement they included in their motion. IMO it is wrong to suggest that the foreman suggested he had been impacted by the closing statement in the way that they now suggest.

(2) The defence allege that the foreman's words show that the jurors were participating in private conversations in respect of the case. Looking back on his words, I do not believe this to be the case. He stated "we felt which way we were going to go, i believe, individually, prior to closing arguments. We didn't discuss a verdict but, in having private conversations everybody, we could read that everybody was going in the same direction, just the level of severity. Nobody voted not guilty' IMO the foreman is describing what occurred during deliberation. We know that in respect of MM there was no agreement on the first day. They would have been having conversations about this. IMO they are, basically, trying to circumvent the non-impeachment of the jurors because he used the words 'private conversations' rather than 'deliberations'. The fact he states 'no one voted not guilty' leads me to think he is quite honestly discussing what went on in deliberations and is not any indication of any other conversation.

In respect of the meeting between the foreman and the other juror. Again, I am less concerned now as I was yesterday. Looking at the Mallory XII video that (I think) Kitty helpfully linked yesterday the foreman states 'we got to know each other pretty well' and 'we are all going for lunch, I am just waiting for a phone call'. This suggests that the jury were having various conversations with each other and, it appears got on reasonably well, in such an instance it can be completely innocuous that they were having a conversation in their free time. It could've been about sport, the weather or their grandmother's scone recipes. Unless they have some sort of evidence to suggest that this conversation was about the trial it is useless.

B. Forming Opinion regarding the Defendant Corbett's Role as Aggressor

This argument appears to stem from a social media post by the forman whereby he stated "we decided on 2nd degree for both, but feel Molly was the aggressor", this was elaborated upon in another post where he stated "every one of us believe Jason was asleep when he was hit for the first time. The evidence we saw supports that'. The argument they have put forward seems to suggest that as the Court did not refer to MM as the aggressor the jury were wrong to reach this conclusion. I disagree.

The jurors were privy to the evidence and testimony of Dr James whereby he stated that JC may have been struck for the first time either in, or beside, his bed (http://www.herald.ie/news/jason-may...suffered-the-first-blow-to-head-35991145.html). Can the Court restrict the jurors making inferences from the evidence they hear? Blood and tissue were found on the brick, the brick TM testified he did not wield, and the brick that MM stated she had attempted to use. JC and MM were in a bedroom with the door closed. She has a weapon. I believe that the jury had every right to consider the facts and evidence before them and come to a conclusion.

C. providing less than candid answers to Court's inquiry regarding fitness to serve

IMO this is a nonsensical argument to put into a motion. The juror became ill whilst looking at the photos. She was asked about it and stated "it was a combination of not eating breakfast". In fact, IMO, the full text used in the motion hurts their case more than just that line. The judge asked "as difficult I know as all of this is, do you believe you will be able to continue to view photographs and go forward". IMO her response that it was a combination makes sense when the judge has already raised the fact that the photographs could be hard to look at. Combination means to combine two or more things. I do not believe that the juror in any way contradicted this on 20/20 when she said "I don't think there's anything or any experience in life that can prepare you to look at those pictures".

E. Expression of opinions by jurors is not shown in the motion. I would find this interesting and await to see what the supplemental affidavit shows. I can only assume shaking of heads etc as the defence and prosecution are not allowed to talk to the jurors whilst the trial is ongoing.

F. Comments showing bias

IMO these are comments made after the end of the trial whereby the jurors have been legally allowed to research the case. I am sure they did.

Jurors have clearly stated that they were watching MM during the trial to see when she reacted to things. She never once reacted to pictures of JC's body. She only seemed to react to images of herself or when the children were mentioned. (page 31 of the defence motion).

I do not think that they were biased against TM due to his FBI background I think they watched him on the stand and came to their own conclusions about him, this is not bias. It was put to TM on the stand that he liked trying to outwit people and that he had tried to take command of the interview with LE. The jury heard this in evidence. (Sorry cannot find the link to the article, it was the cross examination of TM and was definitely in the daily mail at the very least).

So all my own thoughts about the contents of the motion. I could very well be wrong, but, at present I am in agreement with the DA it is grasping at straws.

All IMO

Just reading through all this, having lost my place again... these threads grow and multiply so quickly! I was just thinking, I hope one day someone points out to Molly the tragic irony that [assuming her true character could have matched her image] if she and Jason had separated, being the man he was,he probably would have respected her bond with the children after all those years, and allowed her to continue being part of their upbringing. He certainly cherished the bond the kids had with their maternal relatives, so I think he could arguably have shown similar consideration to a beloved stepmother. Now Molly is in jail, disowned by the children she "loved" and condemned never to see them again, but in a parallel universe, she could have been Skyping them, getting photos and cards regularly, and maybe even enjoying visits together. She would have remained an important figure in their lives.
Even if she was volatile, children are very forgiving to the adults they've known all their lives, and I'm sure J & S did genuinely love her at one time. But when she killed their father, she destroyed their love for her - and the fact that she was determined to have them all to herself rather than negotiate a fair custody arrangement shows that she saw the children as possessions or prizes.

Stephan thanks for the judgment I had a browse on the way home yesterday along with the Robinson v Polk case also referred to and then considered the motion again. I am actually less concerned today by it than I was yesterday. Any references below are in regards to the defence motion which has been linked on the previous pages:

A. Private Conversations

The defence alleged that the comments of the foreman suggest that he and/or other jurors were participating in private conversations. They also suggest that the foreman stated that the closing argument 'had an impact'. Looking at this in two halves my own views are as follows:

(1) when asked if the prosecutions closing argument had impacted him, he stated "i think it impacted everybody, that wasn't a deciding factor though." This sentence immediately preceding the statement they included in their motion. IMO it is wrong to suggest that the foreman suggested he had been impacted by the closing statement in the way that they now suggest.

(2) The defence allege that the foreman's words show that the jurors were participating in private conversations in respect of the case. Looking back on his words, I do not believe this to be the case. He stated "we felt which way we were going to go, i believe, individually, prior to closing arguments. We didn't discuss a verdict but, in having private conversations everybody, we could read that everybody was going in the same direction, just the level of severity. Nobody voted not guilty' IMO the foreman is describing what occurred during deliberation. We know that in respect of MM there was no agreement on the first day. They would have been having conversations about this. IMO they are, basically, trying to circumvent the non-impeachment of the jurors because he used the words 'private conversations' rather than 'deliberations'. The fact he states 'no one voted not guilty' leads me to think he is quite honestly discussing what went on in deliberations and is not any indication of any other conversation.

In respect of the meeting between the foreman and the other juror. Again, I am less concerned now as I was yesterday. Looking at the Mallory XII video that (I think) Kitty helpfully linked yesterday the foreman states 'we got to know each other pretty well' and 'we are all going for lunch, I am just waiting for a phone call'. This suggests that the jury were having various conversations with each other and, it appears got on reasonably well, in such an instance it can be completely innocuous that they were having a conversation in their free time. It could've been about sport, the weather or their grandmother's scone recipes. Unless they have some sort of evidence to suggest that this conversation was about the trial it is useless.

B. Forming Opinion regarding the Defendant Corbett's Role as Aggressor

This argument appears to stem from a social media post by the forman whereby he stated "we decided on 2nd degree for both, but feel Molly was the aggressor", this was elaborated upon in another post where he stated "every one of us believe Jason was asleep when he was hit for the first time. The evidence we saw supports that'. The argument they have put forward seems to suggest that as the Court did not refer to MM as the aggressor the jury were wrong to reach this conclusion. I disagree.

The jurors were privy to the evidence and testimony of Dr James whereby he stated that JC may have been struck for the first time either in, or beside, his bed (http://www.herald.ie/news/jason-may...suffered-the-first-blow-to-head-35991145.html). Can the Court restrict the jurors making inferences from the evidence they hear? Blood and tissue were found on the brick, the brick TM testified he did not wield, and the brick that MM stated she had attempted to use. JC and MM were in a bedroom with the door closed. She has a weapon. I believe that the jury had every right to consider the facts and evidence before them and come to a conclusion.

C. providing less than candid answers to Court's inquiry regarding fitness to serve

IMO this is a nonsensical argument to put into a motion. The juror became ill whilst looking at the photos. She was asked about it and stated "it was a combination of not eating breakfast". In fact, IMO, the full text used in the motion hurts their case more than just that line. The judge asked "as difficult I know as all of this is, do you believe you will be able to continue to view photographs and go forward". IMO her response that it was a combination makes sense when the judge has already raised the fact that the photographs could be hard to look at. Combination means to combine two or more things. I do not believe that the juror in any way contradicted this on 20/20 when she said "I don't think there's anything or any experience in life that can prepare you to look at those pictures".

E. Expression of opinions by jurors is not shown in the motion. I would find this interesting and await to see what the supplemental affidavit shows. I can only assume shaking of heads etc as the defence and prosecution are not allowed to talk to the jurors whilst the trial is ongoing.

F. Comments showing bias

IMO these are comments made after the end of the trial whereby the jurors have been legally allowed to research the case. I am sure they did.

Jurors have clearly stated that they were watching MM during the trial to see when she reacted to things. She never once reacted to pictures of JC's body. She only seemed to react to images of herself or when the children were mentioned. (page 31 of the defence motion).

I do not think that they were biased against TM due to his FBI background I think they watched him on the stand and came to their own conclusions about him, this is not bias. It was put to TM on https://mobile.twitter.com/rtwmollyandtom of the motion. I could very well be wrong, but, at present I am in agreement with the DA it is grasping at straws.

All IMO

Thank you you for putting in the hard work this combined with Kitty research really nails home the fact that the jury didn't participate in any misconduct. IMO Also agreeing with the Da on this

Thank you you for putting in the hard work this combined with Kitty research really nails home the fact that the jury didn't participate in any misconduct. IMO Also agreeing with the Da on this

I would add that private conversations among ourselves referred to jury deliberations. which are in effect private conversations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back