CONVICTION OVERTURNED NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #11 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks to tlcya for putting this opening post together.

I have instructed the moderators to start giving TO's or lifetime bans if members continue to violate TOS.

You know the rules. If you need a refresher here you go: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

No name calling, no personal attacks, no bringing up random people who are not in mainstream media.
Thank you,
Tricia

jasonCorbettCharityBall_large.jpg

Limerick man killed in domestic dispute in North Carolina
Mon, Aug 3, 2015, 23:17 Updated: Tue, Aug 4, 2015, 19:05
County Sheriff’s office received emergency call following alleged assault at house

Limerick man killed in domestic dispute in North Carolina

Police in the US are continuing their investigation into the death of a Limerick man who was killed in a suspected domestic disturbance at his home in North Carolina.

Jason Corbett (39), who is originally from the Janesboro area of Limerick city, was found at Panther Creek Court in Wallburg with fatal head injuries early on Sunday morning. The father of two children, moved to America four years ago after his first wife Mags Corbett died following an asthma attack in 2006. Its understood Mr Corbett was living in North Carolina with his new partner who is American and who previously worked as a child minder.

Jason Corbett's father-in-law told 911: 'I struck him with a baseball bat'
August 18, 2015

Jason Corbett's father-in-law told 911: 'I struck him with a baseball bat'

Thomas Martens, a former FBI agent, told 911 he had been “in an argument” with his son-in-law and that he had “struck him with a baseball bat”, the Irish Daily Mail reports. According to an police incident report seen by the paper, the incident was recorded as “an assault” by 911.
His wife Molly was believed to have been the main suspect but police in the US have confirmed that her father Thomas Martens (65), a retired FBI agent, is also a person of interest.

911 call:
Listen: Molly Martens dad's chilling 911 call: 'He's bleeding all over. I may have killed him'

Obituary: Death Notice of Jason Corbett

LEXINGTON, N.C. -- Attorneys for Thomas Martens and Molly Corbett, charged with murdering Molly's husband Jason Corbett in their Wallburg home in Aug. 2015, said they may request to move the case elsewhere for fear they won't get a fair trial in Davidson County.

Attorneys may ask to move Irish man’s murder case, citing concerns with sheriff’s office | myfox8.com

Media links & Documents thread

thread #1
thread #2
thread #3
thread #4

Trial Thread #1
Trial Thread #2
Trial Thread #3
Trial Thread #4
Trial Thread #5
Trial thread #6

Last edited by a moderator:
And now we wait for the outcome of the appeal. I'm really not sure which way this is going to go. Personal views / observations:

* Why did the State on rebuttal not simply point out that the children's interviews also contradict the narrative put forward by the Martens' as to what happened that evening. They keep talking about S waking up and thus her statements as to the night in question being important, the records show that when S was interviewed she stated that she did NOT wake up that night. She even said it was strange that she hadn't woke up as she is such a light sleeper. It was J who said S had woke up and said he had been told this by the Martens'. As such it is not strange (as the defence wish to claim) that J knew about the bedsheets as he said he was TOLD about them.

* I did think it rather helpful that the State could point to specific instances that suggest the children did not know the interviews were for medical reasons (J saying it was because people were trying to take him from his mom and S saying it was because her dad had died). When the question was put to Counsel for MM he could not point to any utterances from the children to suggest otherwise.

* I did think the comment that the only evidence that TM and MM struck JC when he was on the ground being the droplets of blood on the inside of the boxers / pj bottoms was ridiculous. I think the State dealt with this by commenting that given the blood splatter low down on the wall there was no way they could not have been over him.

* Has the issue regarding TM's state of mind fallen away? It may well be that this is covered in the written brief but they felt no need to discuss during the oral hearing. It has been quite some time since I read the briefs so I may just be having a blank moment.

On the whole I cannot say the State's performance filled me with confidence. I found him rather stuttery and at the end you could see his frustration as he ran out of time on rebuttal.

As always, all views my own.

And now we wait for the outcome of the appeal. I'm really not sure which way this is going to go. Personal views / observations:

* Why did the State on rebuttal not simply point out that the children's interviews also contradict the narrative put forward by the Martens' as to what happened that evening. They keep talking about S waking up and thus her statements as to the night in question being important, the records show that when S was interviewed she stated that she did NOT wake up that night. She even said it was strange that she hadn't woke up as she is such a light sleeper. It was J who said S had woke up and said he had been told this by the Martens'. As such it is not strange (as the defence wish to claim) that J knew about the bedsheets as he said he was TOLD about them.

* I did think it rather helpful that the State could point to specific instances that suggest the children did not know the interviews were for medical reasons (J saying it was because people were trying to take him from his mom and S saying it was because her dad had died). When the question was put to Counsel for MM he could not point to any utterances from the children to suggest otherwise.

* I did think the comment that the only evidence that TM and MM struck JC when he was on the ground being the droplets of blood on the inside of the boxers / pj bottoms was ridiculous. I think the State dealt with this by commenting that given the blood splatter low down on the wall there was no way they could not have been over him.

* Has the issue regarding TM's state of mind fallen away? It may well be that this is covered in the written brief but they felt no need to discuss during the oral hearing. It has been quite some time since I read the briefs so I may just be having a blank moment.

On the whole I cannot say the State's performance filled me with confidence. I found him rather stuttery and at the end you could see his frustration as he ran out of time on rebuttal.

As always, all views my own.

I agree, my nerves were shattered listening to it although I got a glimmer of hope when the judge put it to the defence that the children made statements per their situation, hopefully means that they were not creditable, hopefully the blood spatter pattern on the wall will outweigh the untested stains on the boxers, fingers crossed for a good outcome as you say it's a waiting game

Everything I've written is my own thoughts and feelings only

Disappointed to hear they granted a retrial but it is what it is, just hope the retrial will put them away for good, this time i hope they put sharon martens on the stand as i feel she has been shielded for too long she was in the thick of it and should have been called to the stand
All the above are just my own thoughts

IMO, their defense is based on the words of little frightened children, left in the hands of their fathers killers. Those children are young adults now and they have experienced how life in a healthy family environment can be. They have experienced the difference between love and emotional manipulation.

I hate that Jack and Sarah need to go through this...but I believe their testimony will provide the real truth. That truth will easily result in convictions once again.

As always, the prayers and support of so many of us, will be with the Corbett Lynch family as they suffer another ordeal at the hands of those who left Jason’s skull shattered in his own bedroom. These opinions are mine...but the shattered skull and battered body are facts in the autopsy the Martens can never deny.

i haven't yet read the judgment, as i said before i had my reservations. I will comment on the judgement when read, at the moment my heart goes out to JC and SC who have made their feelings clear. if anythung it seems they, and SM will be integral to the new trial.

This turn of events seems to be big news in Ireland, but hardly reported in the USA. I find that odd because the case and trial did receive coverage in the USA at the time. This is all very disappointing. It is so obviously a bloodbath in that bedroom, and the self-defense story doesn't hold up with all his blood spatter at the level of the baseboards and floor. Molly had no marks on her to support her lies. I am so sorry to the family.

This is a local USA link, no different info:
Tom Martens, Molly Corbett will get new murder trial after NC Supreme Court says pair couldn’t ‘fully and fairly present their cases’ due to omitted testimony | myfox8.com

This turn of events seems to be big news in Ireland, but hardly reported in the USA. I find that odd because the case and trial did receive coverage in the USA at the time. This is all very disappointing. It is so obviously a bloodbath in that bedroom, and the self-defense story doesn't hold up with all his blood spatter at the level of the baseboards and floor. Molly had no marks on her to support her lies. I am so sorry to the family.

Tom Martens, Molly Corbett will get new murder trial after NC Supreme Court says pair couldn’t ‘fully and fairly present their cases’ due to omitted testimony | myfox8.com

We live in a time of narratives where ‘truth’ is NOT the reality of a mans skull crushed to pieces and blood spatter just inches off the floor...instead “truth” is whatever MM ‘felt” it was. Her “feelings” are her power...emotions are exploited when facts are damning. MM, her Father and their attorneys will double down on these efforts even more in the months ahead.

Her “victim hood” will be sympathetically embraced by much of our media who try to create ‘teaching moments’ that require attractive victims to star in these narrative dramas. The cause of spousal abuse is very real and deserves our full societal attention. But it also deserves honest ‘victims”...but our media will not let MM’s brutal crime deter them embracing her...lovely innocent adoring young StepMom...and her All American FBI Dad...bullied and abused for years by this bad bad Irish husband. They will write articles that will make you cry for the woman/victim whose bracelet didn’t even break as her husbands skull was broken into tiny pieces.

Get ready for it.

In short, while she and her father savagely beat her husband to death, and waited till his body cooled to stage their drama to authorities, MM was smug in her mantle of victimization. She still is. Remember her FB page...that was top tier marketing at work. How many readers stopped to wonder about the man behind the camera taking those lovely pictures? In our current political climate, MM’s narrative may be false...but it is a powerful one and will be exploited by like minded media.

my humble opinions only, of course...

Is there a connection to Ireland?

Edit: Reading @stmarysmead post directly above, I now see the Irish connection. This is actually the first I've heard of this homicide.

Last edited:
Is there a connection to Ireland?

Edit: Reading @stmarysmead post directly above, I now see the Irish connection. This is actually the first I've heard of this homicide.

As we are now facing a second trial, you will find the earlier threads very important as a preface. The fight for the orphaned children, the heroic aunt who rescued them, the defiant “greed-grab”, etc...but above all, if you are interested in following this case...read the complete official autopsy and then search out “Turning This Thing Around” on Amazon...a book written YEARS PREVIOUS to the murder by a former fiancée about HIS life with Molly Martens.

With the two in prison since August of 2017, Connor said he was crying tears of happiness knowing his father and sister could be released within three weeks.

“It was definitely shocking news, in a great way,” Connor said. “More than one appellate court now at this point has affirmed the trial was unfair and on multiple accounts there was evidence that was not let in that should have been and if there was a new trial, it would be hugely beneficial for us. It corroborates what we say and provides some evidence that is really important to describe the context of the situation.”
Knoxville natives will receive new trial for murder case following North Carolina Supreme Court ruling | WKRN News 2

With the two in prison since August of 2017, Connor said he was crying tears of happiness knowing his father and sister could be released within three weeks.

“It was definitely shocking news, in a great way,” Connor said. “More than one appellate court now at this point has affirmed the trial was unfair and on multiple accounts there was evidence that was not let in that should have been and if there was a new trial, it would be hugely beneficial for us. It corroborates what we say and provides some evidence that is really important to describe the context of the situation.”
Knoxville natives will receive new trial for murder case following North Carolina Supreme Court ruling | WKRN News 2

No one ever asks Connor...in his multiple quotes to the press...if it was “fair” that his sisters struggle with mental illness (as described in a book published long before the crime) ...is never addressed by the family?

Nor does Connor address the strange fact that his Mother sat downstairs with three unused phones...never calling police...after her husband armed himself with a bat...thinking that he would encounter an intruder upstairs (court testimony). Was she waiting to award a trophy to the winner?

Knoxville natives will receive new trial for murder case following North Carolina Supreme Court ruling | WATE 6 On Your Side

The Corbett family released the following response:

“We are so disappointed and distraught that the Supreme Court of North Carolina has decided to grant a retrial to Tom and Molly Martens who admitted killing our beloved Jason – a father, a brother, a son and a loyal friend – who is dearly missed by all who knew and loved him. Neither of the convicted defendants has ever expressed remorse for Jason’s killing. They put his orphaned children, then aged 8 and 10, and Jason’s parents, siblings and friends through the horrific ordeal of the first trial, all the while waging a vicious and unrelenting smear campaign in the media and in the courtroom. The jury unanimously found them guilty of second-degree murder, concurring with the detectives and EMT workers who found the crime scene to be wholly inconsistent with the defence claims concocted by Tom Martens, a former FBI agent, and his daughter, Molly, who drugged Jason prior to the attack. We can only put our faith in God to guide us through the torment of a second trial. We place our trust in the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and in the District Attorney for North Carolina both of whom recognised from the outset that Jason was the victim of a cold and calculated murder, designed to give Molly custody of Jason’s children, and the financial benefit of an insurance policy. Despite our disappointment at this decision, by a 4-3 majority, to grant the Martens a retrial, we retain our faith in the US Criminal Justice system and our confidence that a jury will once again find the Martens guilty of this “heinous, atrocious and cruel” crime. Our priority is to continue providing love, care, support and protection to Jason’s two wonderful children whom we are blessed to have as part of our family. The family will not be issuing any further statements at this time.”

I’ve been around WS for many years, and I will admit there is no other case that has evoked such outrage in me than this one. I will have to remind myself to sit on my hands at times as these orphaned children are abused again in service of the two of the most brutal killers ever mentioned on this Board.

This was a rage killing. Yes, that’s my opinion, but I ask anyone who has read the complete autopsy to refute that opinion with fact. Ill happily debate.

IMO...There was such a savage joy in destroying this man, in watching his excruciating pain, that these two killers just could not stop their total enjoyment of inflicting the next heinous blow.

And my further opinions...When they were done destroying Jason’s mortal life...they went after his reputation in order to save their own. They stole his children from their rightful guardians and confiscated whatever they could of his money...(MM never worked) They greed-grabbed his possessions in defiance of a court order. Even after convictions, they gave a television interview which, to any of us who followed the facts of the case, was a monstrous fabrication that deserved instant rebuttal. But our media was more interested in sensation than truth.

Prayers for peace and strength for the Corbett Lynch family and especially for Sarah and Jack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwoForJoy
Back