GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been intending to re-listen to the 911 call <modsnip.> There were a few things that jumped out at me when I first listened to it and I want to "revise" before listening again. One thing, for example, was if I remember correctly, he interrupted himself to say Jason was strangling Molly and his voice became extremely high pitched. So he wasn't saying what he saw, he was trying to explain his actions. Also the word "donnybrook" is fairly abstract rather than describing exactly what he saw. eg: "they were fighting. He was... She was... So I..."
<modsnip>

TM is FBI. There were rumblings of DV for a long time. He and MM's mom rushed over on Saturday. Is there a possibility a surveillance system, set up by TM, was in place at the time and this corroborates their pleas of self-defense?

I've been intending to re-listen to the 911 call <modsnip> There were a few things that jumped out at me when I first listened to it and I want to "revise" before listening again. One thing, for example, was if I remember correctly, he interrupted himself to say Jason was strangling Molly and his voice became extremely high pitched. So he wasn't saying what he saw, he was trying to explain his actions. Also the word "donnybrook" is fairly abstract rather than describing exactly what he saw. eg: "they were fighting. He was... She was... So I..."
<modsnip>
My reading was that his tone became defensive, he was justifying his action, he had no choice, he was compelled to save his daughter the only way he could. I dont know it would qualify as a 'statement' because it was a call to an EMT, giving information. would a statement not mean a pubic statement or one made in a court of law? might be worthwhile analysing the family spokesperson's statements though, what do you think?

TM is FBI. There were rumblings of DV for a long time. He and MM's mom rushed over on Saturday. Is there a possibility a surveillance system, set up by TM, was in place at the time and this corroborates their pleas of self-defense?
Have seen no reports that there was cctv in their home, or even in neighbours' houses, though this seems unusual.
I had not heard the DV rumors were circulating prior to the murder?

I agree with kitty, that I doubt there were cameras set up in the house. Who would have done this and did Jason know? I wasn't aware of previous DV claims either. Was there documentation?

evanescence---would like to hear more of your thoughts :Welcome1:

@Hotchips ditto. I have been looking but have been unable to find anything. I am sure there had to be some rebuttal from MM to TL's allegations.

I had been rereading through comments on various publications and the one thing that people seem to differ on is the 911 call; either TM is too calm or he was just following his training. I just had a quick relisten. My issue with the idea that TM was calm because of his FBI training seems full of holes as, if he was following his training, he would have started CPR immediately with MM whilst SM called the emergency services. This is something you learn even in a basic first aid course. On this subsequent listen a few things jumped out at me:

1. At appx 2.47 it sounds as thought MM is saying something to tune of 'i think he is still alive' in the background. This is when the dispatcher is telling TM to turn him over.

2. TM clearly stated that JC had been drinking during the day - I had thought he asked MM but on second listening is seems he replies quickly - yes, he had been drinking during the course of the day.

3. 5.10 TM asked MM to get a washcloth. By 5.30 he had got the washcloth and cleared JC's face. I could not hear a single footstep or other background sound that would suggest anything happened during this time.

4. when MM is passed the phone whilst TM is carrying out CPR she sounds almost childlike. There is no distortion in her voice that would seem to indicate that her airways had been in any way obstructed or damaged.

5. when the dispatcher comments that MM is 'doing a good job' TM states that she is a swimming coach. It is almost as if he is having a general chat with someone rather that standing in the middle of a crime scene.

Just my thoughts on the call.

Also, if i recall correctly correctly, it was stated (somewhere) that the baseball bat had both wet and dry blood on it. Would this not indicate a longer attack time? I know that the blood starts to dry early but had read that it can take up to an hour to completely dry - before that it would be tacky. I could be completely wrong about this!

All simply my opinions.

Just again re the adoption thing. I believe JC never would have allowed MM adopt the children due to his close relationship with his first wife's family. In this article his first mother in law asked him , when he told her he was getting remarried, if she was still his mother in law and he replied "you are Mar"

http://www.thejournal.ie/jason-corbett-children-ireland-2284650-Aug2015/

I'm guessing he would have seen it as writing Mags out of the children's life.

I also spotted that every year JC (or someone on his behalf) put a memorial notice in the Limerick Leader paper in memory of Mags. This is common on the year anniversary in Ireland to do and it's usually in the local paper. This is the notice that appeared in 2014 from JC and the kids. It's very heartfelt
http://announce.jpress.ie/memorial/margaret-corbett/39653779?s_source=jiri_lime

Every year since her death JC had the same annual notice in the paper.

That couldn't have gone down well with MM.

@Hotchips ditto. I have been looking but have been unable to find anything. I am sure there had to be some rebuttal from MM to TL's allegations.

I had been rereading through comments on various publications and the one thing that people seem to differ on is the 911 call; either TM is too calm or he was just following his training. I just had a quick relisten. My issue with the idea that TM was calm because of his FBI training seems full of holes as, if he was following his training, he would have started CPR immediately with MM whilst SM called the emergency services. This is something you learn even in a basic first aid course. On this subsequent listen a few things jumped out at me:

1. At appx 2.47 it sounds as thought MM is saying something to tune of 'i think he is still alive' in the background. This is when the dispatcher is telling TM to turn him over.

2. TM clearly stated that JC had been drinking during the day - I had thought he asked MM but on second listening is seems he replies quickly - yes, he had been drinking during the course of the day.

3. 5.10 TM asked MM to get a washcloth. By 5.30 he had got the washcloth and cleared JC's face. I could not hear a single footstep or other background sound that would suggest anything happened during this time.

4. when MM is passed the phone whilst TM is carrying out CPR she sounds almost childlike. There is no distortion in her voice that would seem to indicate that her airways had been in any way obstructed or damaged.

5. when the dispatcher comments that MM is 'doing a good job' TM states that she is a swimming coach. It is almost as if he is having a general chat with someone rather that standing in the middle of a crime scene.

Just my thoughts on the call.

Also, if i recall correctly correctly, it was stated (somewhere) that the baseball bat had both wet and dry blood on it. Would this not indicate a longer attack time? I know that the blood starts to dry early but had read that it can take up to an hour to completely dry - before that it would be tacky. I could be completely wrong about this!

All simply my opinions.

Yes. I was thinking that too when I was reading through the autopsy report. On page 2 it states that the body has dry, smeared and liquid blood on it. I did think too, the attack must have gone on for a long time.

Just another theory about the night but what if Jason was in bed when MM went to collect the kids. It's possible she picked up the paving stone on the way into the house when she returned. The kids could have been in the basement with her parents when she went to the bedroom and struck the first blow. Her father might have gone looking to see where she was, discovered what had happened and concocted the DV story to protect his daughter who he would have known would be charged for the attack. Knowing MM would most definitely lose contact with the children especially if JC was to give evidence against her, they finish what she started.

Just my opinion.

That memorial is heartbreaking. No question that even years after her death, Jason adored his Mags. It seems he wanted to keep her memory alive for their children. At the same time, MM wanted the neighbors to think she had given birth to the children. What an "irreconcilable difference!" And if the family moved back to Ireland, where Mag's family would be an even larger part of their lives and so many people remembered Mags, I can see MM thinking that was intolerable! She wanted to be the only Mommy for the kids. Period. MM was jealous of a dead woman IMO.

I think this devotion to Mags...coupled with the staunch refusal to allow adoption...could be the basis for MM and family claiming emotional "abuse."

I just will need a lot more to believe DV...because this is a family with Dad and Uncle in FBI. TM was not living next door so he could not provide constant protection for MM in any way, shape or form. But he would know every legal opportunity and rule of law to use against Jason and keep her safe. Are we to believe that he wouldn't do that? That he would leave his daughter at risk while he lived hours away?

Step one...get her and the kids out of the house. A charge of DV could give MM much greater standing for custody. MM had endless opportunities to leave as a stay at home Mom. And, I agree with those who say JC probably traveled back to Ireland for business. On any of those trips, she and her Dad could have set them up in safety and started legal proceedings. DV is against the law.

So I think this "abuse" talk or whispers comes down to MM having to live with the ghost of the woman JC could never stop loving even years after her death. And the fact that JC wanted his children to have a lasting memory of that birth Mother too. Adoption would be, to him, a bridge too far. This all was just intolerable for MM.

Yes i agree that the brick could have been picked up on entering the house. I was thinking TM but makes sense MM either.

What time did MMs parents arrive at house? I wonder was there much phone activity between MM and her parents on their way over? Did TM enter the house after being "rilled up" by MM and what ever info she diaclosed to have them change their plans and head over to MM

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My daughter has a friend whose mother died when she was a baby, and every time I ever watched this little girl stand up at assembly. compete in a sports carnival or run around playing in our backyard, it broke my heart that I was seeing things her own mother never saw. I can understand a second wife being resentful of the "perfect" first wife, but a good stepmother should feel a bond with the birth mother - not want to obliterate her from history. I think Molly wanted to eliminate both parents so she could play at being the children's mother... yet she was already changing towards Jack as he grew older and less doll-like. I wonder how she would have changed against both of them if she'd had a baby of her own? I wonder if the [vague] stories of her infertility are linked to her penchant for single fathers? Maybe she was traumatized by finding out at a young age that she could not have children, so she not only wanted someone else's children, she was also jealous and resentful of someone who could successfully give birth.

I believe that friends of MM have stated that they knew about the abuse for a year prior to JC's murder. I also believe that the emotional and mental abuse which they talk about is in relation to the refusal to allow MM to adopt the children. I do not believe that MM was the victim of DV; I think when she spoke to a solicitor in 2014 about trying to get custody of the children in the case of a split it was something mentioned (i.e. if you were a victim of DV it would be easier......) and she ran with it. Lets not forget she was involved with a group which assisted real victims of DV. She would have had ample information, contacts and knowledge of avenues available to her.

I was trying to figure out the layout of 160 Panther Creek Court - i could not find any internal drawings for it. I did, however, look at the internal drawings for 116 Panther Creek Court which appears very similar. It shows the master bedroom being on the first floor with the remaining three bedrooms upstairs.

I would have thought that any argument would have been heard clearer from the second level than from the basement. I would have assumed that the flooring between the first floor and basement would be slightly thicker (i'm no builder!) because of insulation to the basement. Also, I wonder if there was any particular reason her parents slept in the finished basement as opposed to the guest bedroom upstairs?

I believe that friends of MM have stated that they knew about the abuse for a year prior to JC's murder. I also believe that the emotional and mental abuse which they talk about is in relation to the refusal to allow MM to adopt the children. I do not believe that MM was the victim of DV; I think when she spoke to a solicitor in 2014 about trying to get custody of the children in the case of a split it was something mentioned (i.e. if you were a victim of DV it would be easier......) and she ran with it. Lets not forget she was involved with a group which assisted real victims of DV. She would have had ample information, contacts and knowledge of avenues available to her.

Yes I had read that somewhere as well, not sure where, possibly in commentary under news articles. I think she will be claiming emotional abuse rather than physical. This covers a wide variety such as a verbal abuse, him talking down to her, being controlling, personal insults etc. Its easier to claim this than physical. However, for it to carry any weight for her, she will have to have evidence other than just her word for it to run with this defence .i.e texts, emails, witnesses who overheard this alleged abuse, professionals she may have discussed it with in the past etc.

In terms of the adoption, I can understand now why Jason choose not to allow her to adopt them seeing as they would have been given new birth certificates. But I have wondered why he didnt give her some guardianship or custody rights. This would not have erased mags' memory or name from their official documents. I mean he was happy for her to care for them on a daily basis but not to have an official say in their lives. I mean she could not have signed any forms for the school, activities, medical forms etc on their behalf as she was basically nobody to the children legally. So really, even though they had married, she was basically still functioning as an Au-pair where the children were concerned.......This would be a definite source of conflict.

Yes I had read that somewhere as well, not sure where, possibly in commentary under news articles. I think she will be claiming emotional abuse rather than physical. This covers a wide variety such as a verbal abuse, him talking down to her, being controlling, personal insults etc. Its easier to claim this than physical. However, for it to carry any weight for her, she will have to have evidence other than just her word for it to run with this defence .i.e texts, emails, witnesses who overheard this alleged abuse, professionals she may have discussed it with in the past etc.

In terms of the adoption, I can understand now why Jason choose not to allow her to adopt them seeing as they would have been given new birth certificates. But I have wondered why he didnt give her some guardianship or custody rights. This would not have erased mags' memory or name from their official documents. I mean he was happy for her to care for them on a daily basis but not to have an official say in their lives. I mean she could not have signed any forms for the school, activities, medical forms etc on their behalf as she was basically nobody to the children legally. So really, even though they had married, she was basically still functioning as an Au-pair where the children were concerned.......This would be a definite source of conflict.

But on her FB page, she says she did sign these forms.

I believe that we have read that just one year into the marriage, she was consulting divorce attorneys. I would imagine that would have had a profound effect on Jason. He may then have decided that there was a good possibility that this marriage wouldn't last. Two years later, she back at the lawyers again.

So, without realizing it, MM was reinforcing Jason's distrust in the stability of the marriage. Under those circumstances, no way he is giving her an equal share in his most precious possessions...his children with Mags.

I think that she must have held some custodian / guardian type rights as MM had previously stated that she had been signing forms, attending meetings with teachers etc for four years (so I would assume since the marriage).

I think that she must have held some custodian / guardian type rights as MM had previously stated that she had been signing forms, attending meetings with teachers etc for four years (so I would assume since the marriage).

Yes I saw where she said that before. Schools are normally quite particular about that. They would have seen from the children's birth certs she was not their natural mother and they would have raised this. Perhaps Jason signed something to cover this to say she could attend to these things on his behalf as otherwise I can't see how she would have had authority to do so without guardianship rights. If she did have any guardianship rights she would have raised this at the custody hearing.

Maybe Jason advised her he would also be requiring repayment of the 'loan' of $80,000 to her father, and that is what spurned her parents' visit. He may well have emailed tm and requested the money to be paid in full now. He may have refused to discuss it by email and so they had to come to the house.

Do we know that this was a loan - as far as I was aware this hasn't been confirmed? Although I could have missed something, as this thread is getting busier by the day! Could this money have been transferred for down payment for purchase of the house if Jason didn't have a bank account yet? The house was purchased in May 2011 as per online records , which is the same month the money was transferred (as far as I recall).

In regard to the transfer of €60k that Jason allegedly spoke to his colleagues about moving back to Ireland - there is something regarding estate tax for this amount - if you are not a US citizen or US resident and you hold more than $60,000 in US equities then US estate taxes apply to transfers between spouses on death. Not sure if relevant, but I remembered when looking to purchase US EFT's that this amount stuck in my head for some reason.

And just one small thing - Ireland (republic/south, where Jason is from) is not part of the UK , but Northern Ireland is.
(sorry its a bug bear of mine ! lol:pillowfight: not trying to start a political war again :))

Yes I saw where she said that before. Schools are normally quite particular about that. They would have seen from the children's birth certs she was not their natural mother and they would have raised this. Perhaps Jason signed something to cover this to say she could attend to these things on his behalf as otherwise I can't see how she would have had authority to do so without guardianship rights. If she did have any guardianship rights she would have raised this at the custody hearing.

Agreed. I found this link which discusses step-parents rights which I found useful http://family.lovetoknow.com/about-family-values/overview-step-parents-rights

It covers education, health, travel etc. which, to me, would be the main issues that a step-parent might face. I would assume that MM had the requisite consent from JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx