GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I've noticed among many are comments made inferring that somehow Jason's children are still potentially available for a change in custody. Can someone clear this up for me? Thank god Jason's children are in Ireland with family & friends concerned about their health & well-being.

I don't see it ever being an issue . I don't think the children will ever be returned to her care thank god . But I think this is why they have been trying to discredit Shipwash. I can't see it making a difference either way because 2 judges also ruled in the Corbetts favour . So in essence Molly has lost anyway ....

It needs to be read in the context of the documents forMarch 7, stevendoddy posted the link yesterday. Its v lengthy.

Yeah I read the documents, I still think it is a positive though. It is logical to appeal when a judgement goes that catastrophically against you, Judge Shipwash is basically asking her to account for each and every item which she took from the property. Judge Klass, by granting the stay, is giving her the opportunity to provide the courts with the evidence that was lacking on Feb 2nd, but has still taken steps to ensure that the monies paid out by the life insurance and from the sale of the car are protected. Also, this appeal will be heard in May or June so it should be resolved relatively quickly and if the findings go against her again, then any monies she gains from selling items in the interim will be due to the courts until after the criminal trial - http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...-95e8-a2cb889f3a53.html#.Vw3qEKa7X1A.facebook

One of the things I've noticed among many are comments made inferring that somehow Jason's children are still potentially available for a change in custody. Can someone clear this up for me? Thank god Jason's children are in Ireland with family & friends concerned about their health & well-being.

Jack and Sarah are Irish citizens, and while they embraced American culture and made many friends during their time in NC, they had already spent half of their lives growing up in Ireland. American family courts have no jurisdiction in Ireland, so any judgement which they decree would also have to be agreed to by an Irish court in order to have any bearing on the children. There can be two ways of looking at her custody appeal - first is that she desperately misses the children and is hoping that an appeal to the Supreme court would grant her some level of access rights to the children (obviously this is dependent on her being found innocent) which she could then use as a basis to pursue access rights to the children in the Irish court system. There is no way an American court can force the return of Irish children to the US.

Secondly, on a more cynical basis, her pursuit of the children could be viewed as an attempt to influence public perception of her prior to the criminal trial. If she still has an active custody battle ongoing during the criminal trial, it adds to her defense. Also, I suppose there could be the argument that she could be using it as a tactic to control the children. If there is even the slightest possibility that she could have access to them in the future, it could be enough to silence the children for fear of future repercussions if the abuse was an on-going issue in the home. That last point is simply MOO, trying to cover all the bases.

Jack and Sarah are Irish citizens, and while they embraced American culture and made many friends during their time in NC, they had already spent half of their lives growing up in Ireland. American family courts have no jurisdiction in Ireland, so any judgement which they decree would also have to be agreed to by an Irish court in order to have any bearing on the children. There can be two ways of looking at her custody appeal - first is that she desperately misses the children and is hoping that an appeal to the Supreme court would grant her some level of access rights to the children (obviously this is dependent on her being found innocent) which she could then use as a basis to pursue access rights to the children in the Irish court system. There is no way an American court can force the return of Irish children to the US.

Secondly, on a more cynical basis, her pursuit of the children could be viewed as an attempt to influence public perception of her prior to the criminal trial. If she still has an active custody battle ongoing during the criminal trial, it adds to her defense. Also, I suppose there could be the argument that she could be using it as a tactic to control the children. If there is even the slightest possibility that she could have access to them in the future, it could be enough to silence the children for fear of future repercussions if the abuse was an on-going issue in the home. That last point is simply MOO, trying to cover all the bases.

I have no doubt that she loved the children maybe in a more obsessive way than others but imo the reason that JC was killed was becasue he was removing the children from her along with her comfortable life. Given that custody has been granted to the aunt and uncle, I suspect that a large proportion of his inheritance also goes with them. We only at the moment know about a $600,000 insurance but I suspect that the estate overall is much larger than this. If MM had legal custody, then all of his estate would go to her, well that is if she is not convicted. Everything that has happened in this case has been vigorously fought by her, in her eyes, they are her children, all the property is hers and she did nothing wrong. This is the persona that she done everything possible to portray even though, just looking at one of her actions, the clear out of the property, the majority of spectators do not see this in the way she does. Herself & TM are fighting for their lives, he actions in these cases do not surprise me.

I have no doubt that she loved the children maybe in a more obsessive way than others but imo the reason that JC was killed was becasue he was removing the children from her along with her comfortable life. Given that custody has been granted to the aunt and uncle, I suspect that a large proportion of his inheritance also goes with them. We only at the moment know about a $600,000 insurance but I suspect that the estate overall is much larger than this. If MM had legal custody, then all of his estate would go to her, well that is if she is not convicted. Everything that has happened in this case has been vigorously fought by her, in her eyes, they are her children, all the property is hers and she did nothing wrong. This is the persona that she done everything possible to portray even though, just looking at one of her actions, the clear out of the property, the majority of spectators do not see this in the way she does. Herself & TM are fighting for their lives, he actions in these cases do not surprise me.

Forgive me- I've not been on forum for a few days and just skimmed through. Will you clarify about the $600,000 life insurance policy? Has it paid to MM? I was under the impression that life policies would not release funds in case of a suspicious death until resolution. Again, I realize I am behind in my reading, but I'm quite surprised if this is the case.

Forgive me- I've not been on forum for a few days and just skimmed through. Will you clarify about the $600,000 life insurance policy? Has it paid to MM? I was under the impression that life policies would not release funds in case of a suspicious death until resolution. Again, I realize I am behind in my reading, but I'm quite surprised if this is the case.

Latest judgement couple of days ago instructs the proceeds of an insurance policy to be transferred to the Clerk of the Davidson Court for them to hold. The policy or maybe there was more then one, amounted to €600,000 and the amount ordered to be paid over was $601,060.27, guessing that the extra is interest accrued since money was paid out by the insurance, it suggests that the proceeds of the policy was held in a trust/estate account. Don't suspect that MM had direct access to it. The judge also instructed that the car be sold and the proceeds also be deposited with the County. Insurance companies will release money on life assurance policies one they have dotted their i's & crossed their t's, you know, get death cert, check their t&c, etc. Unless the t&c and the initial underwriting of the policy was breached, they can't really hold on to it. It is up to the lawyers to apply the law on any proceeds.

Can the prosecution argue that the defence has contaminated a wider jury pool by their constant media and press saturation of the "poor Molly" story...? I really cannot understand how the defence lawyers are allowed to give media interviews about their side of the story. The corbetts come from a culture where this pre trial media management is practically Unknown.
Also has anyone considered possibility that reason Jason was naked was because they removed his clothing as it could have contained damning evidence of splatter /angle of blows etc.

Ps am delighted to see the jfj Facebook tribute page has posted a request for only respectful posts and for consideration in what is said. The post reiterates that the purpose of the page is a tribute page for Jason and should be used for this and support of the family. The defence can't be pointing fingers in the family's direction on that score now..

Can the prosecution argue that the defence has contaminated a wider jury pool by their constant media and press saturation of the "poor Molly" story...? I really cannot understand how the defence lawyers are allowed to give media interviews about their side of the story. The corbetts come from a culture where this pre trial media management is practically Unknown.
Also has anyone considered possibility that reason Jason was naked was because they removed his clothing as it could have contained damning evidence of splatter /angle of blows etc.

I live in the US and have been following this case from day one. I haven't seen anything near media and press saturation coverage of this case. In fact, I am surprised it receives so little coverage, considering the sensational aspects that would usually attract a lot of media attention.

I hadn't thought of that...but a man of his size would be hard to undress...IMO...certainly had they found bloody pajamas it would be damning...I wonder if they looked?...neither the prosecution nor the defense can be blamed for media coverage...but, I believe a judge can issue a gag order I just don't know the circumstances...

I live in the US and have been following this case from day one. I haven't seen anything near media and press saturation coverage of this case. In fact, I am surprised it receives so little coverage, considering the sensational aspects that would usually attract a lot of media attention.

I live in NC. It surprises me as well.

Yeah I read the documents, I still think it is a positive though. It is logical to appeal when a judgement goes that catastrophically against you, Judge Shipwash is basically asking her to account for each and every item which she took from the property. Judge Klass, by granting the stay, is giving her the opportunity to provide the courts with the evidence that was lacking on Feb 2nd, but has still taken steps to ensure that the monies paid out by the life insurance and from the sale of the car are protected. Also, this appeal will be heard in May or June so it should be resolved relatively quickly and if the findings go against her again, then any monies she gains from selling items in the interim will be due to the courts until after the criminal trial - http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...-95e8-a2cb889f3a53.html#.Vw3qEKa7X1A.facebook

BBM...in my experience with NC probate, the property Molly took from the residence is known as chattel and would not be itemized in the estate's inventory ...rather, as I recall chattel is assigned a formulaic value based on the total value of the estate ... items of substantial value would be listed separately... like the auto... I was surprised the pool table wasn't listed separately but usually the Clerk won't be burdened with details like Mother's antique chair, china, spoons, etc... I mean, I believe the Clerk of Court is supposed to administrate the value of stuff and not necessarily the stuff itself so chattel is valued as a lump sum...hmm...I wonder if her engagement ring had substantial value and is part of the estate? I think it might be chattel... anyway, the Court will now be in custody and control of a substantial sum of cash, the distribution of which has to be determined later...

Yes, I think its quite possible they undressed him as his clothes would indeed contain damning evidence. I think its even likely. Did anybody look? I dont know.
The prosecution are willfully attracting publicity- whether locals know or say they know is irrelevant, if a report goes out on a TV channel, its likely to contaminate a jury pool. Their press forays contradict not only eachother but also the evidence, the characters reputations of the investigators and the family of the murder victim. I believe the judge now needs to call for a gag order.
They make the publicity and they claim its too much!!

Yes, I think its quite possible they undressed him as his clothes would indeed contain damning evidence. I think its even likely. Did anybody look? I dont know.
The prosecution are willfully attracting publicity- whether locals know or say they know is irrelevant, if a report goes out on a TV channel, its likely to contaminate a jury pool. Their press forays contradict not only eachother but also the evidence, the characters reputations of the investigators and the family of the murder victim. I believe the judge now needs to call for a gag order.
They make the publicity and they claim its too much!!

what I have been hearing in the interviews with the lawyers is that much of what has been reported as evidence is not in the discovery documents...

I hadn't thought of that...but a man of his size would be hard to undress...IMO...certainly had they found bloody pajamas it would be damning...I wonder if they looked?...neither the prosecution nor the defense can be blamed for media coverage...but, I believe a judge can issue a gag order I just don't know the circumstances...

The police and investigative authorities have kept their information close to the vest. The comment by Sheriff Grice that there was a thorough investigation before taking the case before a grand jury for indictment indicates meticulous attention to detail imo. The fact that Thomas Martens is a retired Fbi agent brings another set of circumstances to the table. Listening to the 911 call was absolutely chilling. The amount of detachment & lack of emotion after bludgeoning his son-in-law to death is nothing short of appalling. To me it's understandable why the defense is discussing a possible change of venue. The adage of "you can run, but you cannot hide" comes to mind. The autopsy report & it's conclusions will not change no matter where the case is tried.

My sister is in NC and she has not heard coverage of this case.
ETA- "had not" --- until I told her about it.
this is why the defense might ask for a change in venue...my guess is that Winston-Salem and Davidson County have an increased press presence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx