61072c18a0fad9239ab6eeccd08fe425.jpg
dc555cc6836f4fb6e591d6379e28b897.jpg
48eba8feb67f8c125de28b0841ec7594.jpg
3681630d0bd98a1753580cdd546d9b8d.jpg

Had to split into two posts for some reason
8b9533959cffe6208f3f30572631b5d5.jpg
268f9318487529de182d52147c32a979.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Defense is probably arguing that portraying Jason as peaceful...i.e. Telling the truth...is detrimental to TM and MM getting a fair trial. They want first crack at smearing him and forming that opinion in the jury's mind.

I wish we could read the actual motions. If the media can read them, they are avsilanle publicly somewhere. Any ideas?

I think you can get copies from the courthouse for a small copying fee.

All IMO

Kittythehare anyone that is comfortable with the court's proceedeures,

Will the defense succeed in their request about opening statements?

Is there any technicalities that would allow them to do this???

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

AFAIK they have no chance. The opening statement is a way to flesh out what will be presented in evidence. So, if they plan on having witness testimony that JC was a peaceful, non-violent man they have every right to say this in opening. There are rules but lots of people bend them. The defence have, in my view, no chance and are grasping at straws now.

All IMO

They're outrageous enough for NC, ok!!!
Going through it now, will revert if I find anything conclusive.
Its possible was done in an effort to incite rage/anger and ultimately lead to a mistrial because of victim intimidation.. be wide and be careful of what we say would be a takeaway, possibly.
Am trying to find exact wording.
You could search for precedence.

Remember most media coverage has been created by the defendants.. who called Fox8 to pre trial motions and for every silly thing/ who gave interviews? who paid those bills? And who then sought venue change because of excessive publicity?

Like the 'wedding lie'.. On whose recommendation was that released to the media a few weeks ago, when the matter had been done and dusted almost 2 yrs ago and all relevant legal work submitted and proven??
Why?

Seriously these 'legal' people should be facing disbarment for victim harrassment, incitement and lying

Only once in my life, I was close to a case. It was a devastating experience for my faith in the integrity of our media and justice system. "It's not about the truth."

Who is the trial judge? How do his rulings in other cases look? Remember there are relationships in small cities between lawyers, DAs, and judges. They all know each other, it doesnt mean anything improper. But it's something to keep in mind.

There are relationships between the media and those legal professionals as well. Just something to remember.

But here is what stunned me. There are people, good people, who consider themselves virtuous, who will lie under oath because they believe they are serving the betterment of society. Spousal abuse, campus rape, and many other hot topics attract people who feel ardently about those causes...with good intentions. They have also become political issues due to identity politics,

But if certain people...witnesses, media, even judges. feel that Molly represents a larger class of victims...they may feel her acquittal is necessary to help those other "victims"....even if her case is shady.Then this case becomes not about Jason...but about the larger issue of spousal abuse. And they feel justified in "assisting" her for that reason.

I pray this type of mentality does not enter this trial...but I do fear it. I can never forget that last "case" that decimated my faith.

This is also why the jury selection is so important.

They're outrageous enough for NC, ok!!!
Going through it now, will revert if I find anything conclusive.
Its possible was done in an effort to incite rage/anger and ultimately lead to a mistrial because of victim intimidation.. be wide and be careful of what we say would be a takeaway, possibly.
Am trying to find exact wording.
You could search for precedence.

Remember most media coverage has been created by the defendants.. who called Fox8 to pre trial motions and for every silly thing/ who gave interviews? who paid those bills? And who then sought venue change because of excessive publicity?

Like the 'wedding lie'.. On whose recommendation was that released to the media a few weeks ago, when the matter had been done and dusted almost 2 yrs ago and all relevant legal work submitted and proven??
Why?

Seriously these 'legal' people should be facing disbarment for victim harrassment, incitement and lying
I suppose in a way it's a reflection of the fact they know that Jason was peaceful and non violent and are probably aware of the people lining up around the court house to testify to his good character. If it doesn't stand up, this motion has served maybe to wonder why they don't want people to know the real JC

Moo
AFAIK they have no chance. The opening statement is a way to flesh out what will be presented in evidence. So, if they plan on having witness testimony that JC was a peaceful, non-violent man they have every right to say this in opening. There are rules but lots of people bend them. The defence have, in my view, no chance and are grasping at straws now.

All IMO

Only once in my life, I was close to a case. It was a devastating experience for my faith in the integrity of our media and justice system. "It's not about the truth."

Who is the trial judge? How do his rulings in other cases look? Remember there are relationships in small cities between lawyers, DAs, and judges. They all know each other, it doesnt mean anything improper. But it's something to keep in mind.

There are relationships between the media and those legal professionals as well. Just something to remember.

But here is what stunned me. There are people, good people, who consider themselves virtuous, who will lie under oath because they believe they are serving the betterment of society. Spousal abuse, campus rape, and many other hot topics attract people who feel ardently about those causes...with good intentions. They have also become political issues due to identity politics,

But if certain people...witnesses, media, even judges. feel that Molly represents a larger class of victims...they may feel her acquittal is necessary to help those other "victims"....even if her case is shady.Then this case becomes not about Jason...but about the larger issue of spousal abuse. And they feel justified in "assisting" her for that reason.

I pray this type of mentality does not enter this trial...but I do fear it. I can never forget that last "case" that decimated my faith.

This is also why the jury selection is so important.

Agree. I remember being in criminal law class for my degree years ago and the teacher - completely serious - looked at us and said 'it's not about the truth, it's about who puts on a better story and connects with the jury'. Jury is paramount, good prosecutor is paramount.

All IMO

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170714/corbett-murder-trial-to-begin-monday

Here's the local press...from the area from which the jury pool will be culled. There is a comment that us interesting. Thank heavens for comment sections that allow the media to be challenged.

from article- copy/paste [FONT=&quot]. Cameras and videotaping will not be allowed inside the courtroom. Davidson County Superior Court Judge David Lee will be presiding.

[/FONT]
I wonder whether live tweeting will be allowed?

Agree. I remember being in criminal law class for my degree years ago and the teacher - completely serious - looked at us and said 'it's not about the truth, it's about who puts on a better story and connects with the jury'. Jury is paramount, good prosecutor is paramount.

All IMO
Yes...and the Judge...the Judge who decides what comes before the jury or what they never hear. We have activist judges who see their role as being larger than the prevailing law or the specific case before them. Again, they see this as serving a larger moral purpose. Just pray your loved one is not on the wrong side of his "selective empathy."

Remember that term..."selective empathy." The zealots close their hearts, eyes and minds. They "choose" who they want to be the victim. The real victim can be ground to dust under their virtue signaling.

I'll admit, I haven't followed this case from the beginning and have a question.

Why do you think the children said JC was verbally and physically abusive to MMC when they were interviewed after his death?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll admit, I haven't followed this case from the beginning and have a question.

Why do you think the children said JC was verbally and physically abusive to MMC when they were interviewed after his death?

Welcome! The interview is a big source of contention. There were actually 3 interviews, in the original JC stated he had negative feelings towards MM and SC said she had not witnessed any abuse. In the second they listed various instances of abuse and, prior to the interview, a police officer was concerned about coaching. Following the children's return to Ireland JC stated he had lied and gave a further interview via Skype.

All IMO

Welcome! The interview is a big source of contention. There were actually 3 interviews, in the original JC stated he had negative feelings towards MM and SC said she had not witnessed any abuse. In the second they listed various instances of abuse and, prior to the interview, a police officer was concerned about coaching. Following the children's return to Ireland JC stated he had lied and gave a further interview via Skype.

All IMO

Thank you!

Hmmm, I haven't found info on those interviews yet.

This article has details on 2 of the early interviews.
The information the children gave in separate interviews is concerning. moo

Is Winston-Salem Journal a reputable source?

~snip~
The day after Jason Corbett was found dead, Jack and Sarah were in Union County, where Molly Corbett’s brother, Robert Martens, lives, according to the motion. Molly Corbett and her father were in Winston-Salem. An investigator with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office referred the case to the Davidson County Department of Social Services. The Union County Department of Social Services was contacted, and social workers there arranged to interview the children.

The children were interviewed separately.

“Each child reported similar incidents of verbal and physical abuse by Jason Corbett inflicted upon Molly Corbett,” according to the motion.

The children were interviewed a second time on Aug. 6, the day of their father’s funeral. Jack and Sarah went to Dragonfly House Children’s Advocacy Center in Mocksville to attend a “child medical evaluation” that the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office had arranged, according to the motion.

The director of Dragonfly House did a forensic interview with each child. Two detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and a Davidson County social worker watched the interviews through a two-way mirror.

Sarah said in her interview that she saw her father start fights for “ridiculous reasons” and he would “hurt her mom.” According to the motion, Sarah said her father called Molly Corbett names on a daily basis and would call her on the phone frequently.

Jason Corbett also stepped on Molly Corbett’s foot, pulled her hair, rolled over her foot with a car, called her worthless and hit her in the face, Sarah said in the interview, according to the motion.

Jack said he saw his father “punch, hit and push” Molly Corbett and saw him push her down one time because “he wanted to look through her phone.”

“(His father) would cuss and scream at her; his mom would cry and try to block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

In the months before he died, Jason Corbett got angrier — “his mom would scream for him to stop but she would just ball up under the covers and block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_925deba5-bef2-5f59-981b-e3a8e02508e0.html

Thank you!

Hmmm, I haven't found info on those interviews yet.

This article has details on 2 of the early interviews.
The information the children gave in separate interviews is concerning. moo

Is Winston-Salem Journal a reputable source?

~snip~
The day after Jason Corbett was found dead, Jack and Sarah were in Union County, where Molly Corbett’s brother, Robert Martens, lives, according to the motion. Molly Corbett and her father were in Winston-Salem. An investigator with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office referred the case to the Davidson County Department of Social Services. The Union County Department of Social Services was contacted, and social workers there arranged to interview the children.

The children were interviewed separately.

“Each child reported similar incidents of verbal and physical abuse by Jason Corbett inflicted upon Molly Corbett,” according to the motion.

The children were interviewed a second time on Aug. 6, the day of their father’s funeral. Jack and Sarah went to Dragonfly House Children’s Advocacy Center in Mocksville to attend a “child medical evaluation” that the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office had arranged, according to the motion.

The director of Dragonfly House did a forensic interview with each child. Two detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office and a Davidson County social worker watched the interviews through a two-way mirror.

Sarah said in her interview that she saw her father start fights for “ridiculous reasons” and he would “hurt her mom.” According to the motion, Sarah said her father called Molly Corbett names on a daily basis and would call her on the phone frequently.

Jason Corbett also stepped on Molly Corbett’s foot, pulled her hair, rolled over her foot with a car, called her worthless and hit her in the face, Sarah said in the interview, according to the motion.

Jack said he saw his father “punch, hit and push” Molly Corbett and saw him push her down one time because “he wanted to look through her phone.”

“(His father) would cuss and scream at her; his mom would cry and try to block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

In the months before he died, Jason Corbett got angrier — “his mom would scream for him to stop but she would just ball up under the covers and block her ears,” Jack said, according to the motion.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...cle_925deba5-bef2-5f59-981b-e3a8e02508e0.html

Articles are out there on all the interviews but if your searching in the USA the press has been quite biast in MM favour from what I have seen, so I would search both Irish and USA media and press to get a better view point of both sides of the water.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members