GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
State wraps up. "Jason Corbett can't speak to you today, but his blood speaks the truth. It cries for justice." #CorbettTrial @myfox8

Aint that the truth RIP Jason

[FONT=&quot]Alex Rose‏Verified account @AlexRoseNews [video=twitter;894642922980855810]https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/894642922980855810[/video]More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Replying to @AlexRoseNews @myfox8 and 2 others[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jury will get a 15 minute break before the defense gets a turn at closing arguments. Defense explaining objections now.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]0 replies .0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

[/FONT]

I wonder if when the Prosecution brought up Keith Maginn's name yesterday and I believe referred to him as "Keith Maginn,author" ...that was a warning shot about what might come in in rebuttal.

I didn't see they had referenced Keith Maginn??!

[FONT=&quot]1st objection- no evidence of Jason Corbett's body temperature. Second- doctor said he WOULDN'T describe injuries as consistent w/ car crash
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alex Rose‏Verified account @AlexRoseNews [video=twitter;894643718157893636]https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/894643718157893636[/video]More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]State acknowledges mistake- doctor in fact said he WOULD NOT describe Jason's injuries consistent w/ big fall or car crash. #CorbettTrial
[/FONT]

Retweet

Direct message

[/FONT]

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644657069715456]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644657069715456[/video]More

Further, defense attorney Greg Brown said, "Jason can't speak to you, but his blood speaks the truth and screams for justice."

0 replies .0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644624953942016]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644624953942016[/video]More

Called the defense story "empty, barren and cold." (2/3)

0 replies .0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644516543754242]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644516543754242[/video]More

State wraps up closing arguments. Presented various photos of victim Jason Corbett and from scene of Corbett home on 8/2/15. (1/3)

It is my understanding that it is pretty unusual, subject to some exceptions, to put a defendant (whether innocent or not) on the stand as it's just too easy to get tripped up by a skilled prosecutor in cross-examination.

In addition, it seems TM has decided he is going to take the fall for the two of them so it seems to me that it didn't matter whether he messes up in cross-examination or not.

He has admitted to hitting several times JC in full testimony before the jury, including critically IMHO, dealing JC the fatal blow which killed him. He has fully shielded her and IMHO, has deliberately put himself first and foremost in the frame for the murder.

As she has said nothing, other than the statement she made (which I think Stephan pointed out) that she tried to hit JC but was unsuccessful, there is only circumstantial evidence against her (no direct evidence such as finger prints, etc). I would assume under NC State law that as this evidence is so overwhelming that this is still sufficient to convict her. But I don't know to what degree.

Irishmartin asked does it matter who pulled the trigger? I think it does. My understanding is that it is usual for whoever to have dealt the fatal blow to be convicted of murder and two people can't be convicted of the murder of the same individual (subject to certain exceptions which do not seem to apply here). Those aiding and abetting can get a similar sentence despite the lesser charge which she may be where it ends up with her. We all know she did it, it's just the evidential rules are complicated and tricky as they are designed to protect innocent defendants.

Also, as an aside also, a will is usually automatically revoked by a later marriage. So if you have made a will and subsequently got married, the original will automatically be revoked. I am not sure if that is the position under NC State law but it is a common principle.

In any event, the results should be out shortly.

As a final note, I don't think TM did himself any favours on the stand. It's also a little transparent that how, within hours of the media reporting TM and MM were unemotional at the trial, they both break down in tears and weep. It does amaze me that with all of their superiority and arrogance, there are no lows to which that family will stoop.

All IMHO of course.

[FONT=&quot]Irish law on marriage an existing will is revoked but not in NC law that’s why it was accepted into evidence in the children’s’ custody battle.[/FONT]

I think the pictures of the blood spatter and the autopsy will be hard to get out of the juries mind. At least I hope so.

Very curious to hear what MM's lawyer will say in closing.

my blood espresso level has sunk so just as well..
[FONT=&quot]Court now in 15 minute recess before defense begins closing arguments.
[/FONT]

Retweet

[/FONT]

...RSBM...

Irishmartin asked does it matter who pulled the trigger? I think it does. My understanding is that it is usual for whoever to have dealt the fatal blow to be convicted of murder and two people can't be convicted of the murder of the same individual (subject to certain exceptions which do not seem to apply here). Those aiding and abetting can get a similar sentence despite the lesser charge which she may be where it ends up with her. We all know she did it, it's just the evidential rules are complicated and tricky as they are designed to protect innocent defendants.

Also, as an aside also, a will is usually automatically revoked by a later marriage. So if you have made a will and subsequently got married, the original will automatically be revoked. I am not sure if that is the position under NC State law but it is a common principle.
- There are cases (NY) where two people are convicted of pulling the same gun trigger, rare, but it happens (also unsure of NC). The state frowns on multiple defendants who refuse to clarify what really happened. In this case, the state is contending that MM and TM "acted in concert" and both are charged with 2nd degree murder, so both can be convicted of it regardless of who made the final blow and also because any of the many blows could have caused death.

-JC retained his Ireland citizenship, the children are also Irish citizens, and JC was working in the USA on visa. His will may have been written after the death of his first wife and before his marriage to MM, but it should be subject to the law of Ireland and not NC depending on where it was signed?

The Defense for TM said in their opening statement that TM heard a scream and not knowing what was happening, grabbed the bat.

But is it correct that in a deposition entered into evidence, that TM said he heard them arguing and was going upstairs to tell them to stop or he'd call police. is that correct?

Then why would he bring a bat upstairs? He had no knowledge of DV. So why did he need a bat?

It seems he had already decided to arm himself to fight a much larger, younger man.

As he grabbed the bat, why didn't he tell Sharon to cal 911???

:deadhorse:

[video=twitter;894646502764806144]https://twitter.com/lexdispatchbc/status/894646502764806144[/video]

When the jury returns, the prosecution will correct their statement about what the doctor said about injuries/car crash. I am betting the judge will rule that the evidence about JC's body being cool to the touch will be allowed as experienced opinions from the EMT even though an autopsy temperature was not taken. The defense is making a flurry of objections in order to have them in record if the result is guilty verdicts so that they have issues for appeal.

-JC retained his Ireland citizenship, the children are also Irish citizens, and JC was working in the USA on visa. His will may have been written after the death of his first wife and before his marriage to MM, but it should be subject to the law of Ireland and not NC depending on where it was signed?

I've always wondered about that. Which law takes precedence, the law where you live, or the law where you wrote the will? Is it clear cut, or a grey area?

Has the reporter from the Winston Salem Journal gone on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD1908