GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pictures of the blood spatter and the autopsy will be hard to get out of the juries mind. At least I hope so.

Very curious to hear what MM's lawyer will say in closing.

He will go through her full defence. Should take all of 20 seconds

That is up to the judge. Regardless of verdict, the judge may ask the foreman for the count, and the judge may poll the jury one-by-one. The lawyers can request the judge do this, and the judge may or may not. In high profile cases the judge may also issue a temporary gag order on everyone, but in normal cases like this one the jurors may leave and speak to the media or the various attorneys on their own and give an account of the jury room debate and count. It is really all up to the judge.
It’s a completely no no area even photographing the jury in court is contempt. What happens in the Jury room stays in the Jury room that’s why there is so little data out there on the deliberations of juries.

Just asking but I hope we don't have circumstances where it will apply, but if they are found G but appeal would it be that they will be released pending appeal. These 2 have walked free for 2 years causing mayhem, please tell me if they convicted today they will be put away

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644657069715456]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644657069715456[/video]More

Further, defense attorney Greg Brown said, "Jason can't speak to you, but his blood speaks the truth and screams for justice."

0 replies .0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644624953942016]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644624953942016[/video]More

Called the defense story "empty, barren and cold." (2/3)

Retweet

Direct message

• Mallory Lane WXII‏ @MalloryLaneWXII [video=twitter;894644516543754242]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894644516543754242[/video]More

State wraps up closing arguments. Presented various photos of victim Jason Corbett and from scene of Corbett home on 8/2/15. (1/3)

Defence being called empty barren and cold as well as murder being described as heinous atrocious and cruel are particularly strong statements

Just asking but I hope we don't have circumstances where it will apply, but if they are found G but appeal would it be that they will be released pending appeal. These 2 have walked free for 2 years causing mayhem, please tell me if they convicted today they will be put away

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
thinking the same. expecting they will be allowed to return home as if nothing ever happened.. home to their lavish and barren lives. i hope i am wrong

They don't go to prison straight away even if found guilty . There is a sentencing hearing and because they have no prior convictions they are free till then that's right isn't it

It’s a completely no no area even photographing the jury in court is contempt. What happens in the Jury room stays in the Jury room that’s why there is so little date out there on the deliberations of juries.

I was referring to after the trial, not during the trial. After the trial, the jurors often appear on television even and discuss everything. I have served on a US jury, and immediately after the judge had declared and we left the courtroom, a juror was engaged in deep conversation with the prosecutor in the hallway giving him the all the details. What happens in the jury room can be exposed - after the trial is ended.

- There are cases (NY) where two people are convicted of pulling the same gun trigger, rare, but it happens (also unsure of NC). The state frowns on multiple defendants who refuse to clarify what really happened. In this case, the state is contending that MM and TM "acted in concert" and both are charged with 2nd degree murder, so both can be convicted of it regardless of who made the final blow and also because any of the many blows could have caused death.

-JC retained his Ireland citizenship, the children are also Irish citizens, and JC was working in the USA on visa. His will may have been written after the death of his first wife and before his marriage to MM, but it should be subject to the law of Ireland and not NC depending on where it was signed?

You can write a will in space and if it’s valid whatever the jurisdiction. It’s valid unless there is law to invalidate it in the particular jurisdiction. JC will is not valid in Ireland because of his second marriage but is in NC. But distribution of the JC estate should not present problems as his next of kin are his two kids. Probate/administration of properties and capital/equity follows the rule of the state or that country.

Thanks, that's great, I'm glad to hear both can be convicted of murder.

In relation to the will, that's a good point. Usually, an Irish will would say that it's governed by Irish law and Irish wills are revoked by subsequent marriages but it's difficult to say where there are two jurisdictions involved. It could be void from the perspective of the Irish Courts but deemed valid under NC State law. Another factor to consider would be where the assets are located in addition, as you say, to where the will was executed.

I've always wondered about that. Which law takes precedence, the law where you live, or the law where you wrote the will? Is it clear cut, or a grey area?
LOL. I am sure I don't know either, but there are probably all kinds of laws covering these situations. As for why MM's defense entered will of JC into evidence I imagine it is because she was not a beneficiary and they thought it might overcome the life insurance "$600,000 pieces of reason" for the murder which the prosecution was allowed to state before the jury.

I was referring to after the trial, not during the trial. After the trial, the jurors often appear on television even and discuss everything. I have served on a US jury, and immediately after the judge had declared and we left the courtroom, a juror was exchanged in deep conversation with the prosecutor in the hallway giving him the all the details. What happens in the jury room can be exposed - after the trial is ended.

I find that really amazing no faster way to find yourself in Ireland in contempt of court by going loud.

It is my understanding that it is pretty unusual, subject to some exceptions, to put a defendant (whether innocent or not) on the stand as it's just too easy to get tripped up by a skilled prosecutor in cross-examination.

In addition, it seems TM has decided he is going to take the fall for the two of them so it seems to me that it didn't matter whether he messes up in cross-examination or not.

He has admitted to hitting several times JC in full testimony before the jury, including critically IMHO, dealing JC the fatal blow which killed him. He has fully shielded her and IMHO, has deliberately put himself first and foremost in the frame for the murder.

As she has said nothing, other than the statement she made (which I think Stephan pointed out) that she tried to hit JC but was unsuccessful, there is only circumstantial evidence against her (no direct evidence such as finger prints, etc). I would assume under NC State law that as this evidence is so overwhelming that this is still sufficient to convict her. But I don't know to what degree.

Irishmartin asked does it matter who pulled the trigger? I think it does. My understanding is that it is usual for whoever to have dealt the fatal blow to be convicted of murder and two people can't be convicted of the murder of the same individual (subject to certain exceptions which do not seem to apply here). Those aiding and abetting can get a similar sentence despite the lesser charge which she may be where it ends up with her. We all know she did it, it's just the evidential rules are complicated and tricky as they are designed to protect innocent defendants.

Also, as an aside also, a will is usually automatically revoked by a later marriage. So if you have made a will and subsequently got married, the original will automatically be revoked. I am not sure if that is the position under NC State law but it is a common principle.

In any event, the results should be out shortly.

As a final note, I don't think TM did himself any favours on the stand. It's also a little transparent that how, within hours of the media reporting TM and MM were unemotional at the trial, they both break down in tears and weep. It does amaze me that with all of their superiority and arrogance, there are no lows to which that family will not stoop.

All IMHO of course.
It does not matter who pulled the trigger. 10 people surrounding a person while one pulls the trigger all are charged with the murder. Acting in concert is the term where all involved are cooperating to achieve the same result.

[FONT=&quot]Daniel Kennedy‏ @tvtdaniel [video=twitter;894651516555935744]https://twitter.com/tvtdaniel/status/894651516555935744[/video]More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In his closing arguments, ADA Greg Brown recounted testimony of David Fritzsche, the neighbor who described himself as friend of Corbett's.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daniel Kennedy‏ @tvtdaniel [video=twitter;894651668125499392]https://twitter.com/tvtdaniel/status/894651668125499392[/video]More

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He addressed the testimony of Karen Capps, the 911 telecommunicator who testified Martens was not out of breath when on the phone.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]0 replies .0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

[/FONT]

• Daniel Kennedy‏ @tvtdaniel [video=twitter;894651928600125440]https://twitter.com/tvtdaniel/status/894651928600125440[/video]More

"He was not out of breath after a battle for his life and for the life of his daughter,” Brown said.

0 replies .0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

Direct message

• Alex Rose‏Verified account @AlexRoseNews [video=twitter;894651863655698432]https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/894651863655698432[/video]More

Replying to @AlexRoseNews @myfox8 and 2 others
    Corbett's counsel: "Self defense makes the acts lawful" when talking about 2nd degree murder or voluntary manslaughter. #corbetttrial

Retweet

Direct message

Prosecution wraps up arguments saying "Justice for Jason," defense atty Cheryl Andrews said the burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt

[video=twitter;894652235875057664]https://twitter.com/bobcostner/status/894652235875057664[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member