GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post.

Thank you.

How do you think the jury will see it sshhh! Will either or both of the martens be found guilty, in your opinion?

thank our.

There are 3 main issues of conflict that are central to this case for me.

1. MM's infatuation with the kids and JC's refusal to allow adoption.
We know for example that JC made a specific point of keeping the kids passports in his office at work.

2. The trip to Ireland for JC's dad's upcoming birthday party.
We know that TL testified that JC had intended to travel to the birthday in Ireland with the kids only. She also testified that MM contacted her separately to enquire about the date and to suggest she would be travelling too. Which TL found very odd.

3. The bigger picture of JC's desire to return to Ireland.
We know from earlier reports and media articles that JC had told a co-worker that he intended on returning to Ireland permanently without MM. We know TL testified that he was homesick and lonely.

These three issues tell me that there was a long running battle going on between JC and MM. MM probably had a sense of some of JC's plans, this would explain why she called TL fishing for information on the party date. It also shows that JC was not communicating his plans or the finer details to MM. This is something that would obviously cause a lot of tension. TL also testified that JC never actually booked any flights to Ireland, despite making several attempts to do so. So he was clearly in regular contact with his sister with updates about this trip. We know that money was no object so the question is, what was he waiting for? The opportune moment to book everything without MM finding out? Or was he intending to leave it as late as possible to book so that himself and the kids could just up and go in a flash?

Then we have TM's 'hatred' of JC. We also have TM & SM making a sudden decision to drive to North Carolina on Aug 1st instead of attending a pre-planned dinner party. TM conveniently brings a baseball bat with him (which we now know was an old second hand bat belonging to his son when he was a kid). We also know that MM repeatedly called her parents during their journey. I'd be inclined to suggest that MM was regularly on the phone to her parents, venting about JC and feeding them information. I'd also suggest that this is one of the main reasons why TM 'hated' JC - MM was painting a bad picture of both JC and the marriage to her family on a regular basis. Remember also that the Irish media printed claims that the kids told law enforcement in the US that they witnessed JC and MM have a number of physical and verbal altercations.

So here's what I think happened. I think MM & JC had been having tensions and issues for months. JC had his own plans but MM was aware that something was in the offing. JC's brother had been over visiting only the week before so it's highly implausible that there wasn't at least some talk of the upcoming trip to Ireland. I think JC and MM had some sort of major disagreement or argument possibly around 31st July/August 1st whereby things came to a head, and MM challenged JC about his plans to go to Ireland with the kids but without her. It is possible, and it's my belief, that in the heat of this argument JC let it be known that he intended to return to Ireland with the kids permanently, and that they may not even return from their upcoming trip. This would have enraged MM, and most certainly would have had her contacting her parents in a state of panic. So her parents, being appalled by this, cancelled their plans and headed for North Carolina.

Remember both MM & JC had been drinking for most of the evening. It's possible that another argument or exchange of some sorts took place between MM & JC in the evening, or simply tensions were high, prompting JC to have an early night. It's possible TM & SM involved themselves in any exchange too - they didn't drive all the way to say nothing. JC goes to bed, MM stays downstairs with her parents. The events of the evening then lead a worked up and emotional MM to the bedroom, where she ransacks the room, opening all the drawers looking for the kids passports. JC tells her she's wasting her time because he keeps the passports in his office. This antagonises MM even more, so she goes downstairs, picks up a paving brick, returns to the room and attacks JC multiple times with the brick as he lies in bed. This would explain the blood on the bed and duvet. JC then starts defending himself by struggling to his feet and out of the bed. It's probably a chaotic scene. At this point TM enters the fray, possibly at the behest of MM. TM then proceeds to beat JC with the bat until he is down and not moving. This would be consistent with the evidence of the blood spatter expert who testified that JC was beaten down from a standing position. The forcefulness of the overkill is explained by all that has gone on in the lead up to the event. After they realise the JC is dead, TM stages the scene, they compose themselves and get their stories straight and then they ring 911.

In the following days they waste no time emptying bank accounts and attempting to access JC's office to get their hands on the kids passports. It's also very possible that the life insurance amendment made days prior to JC's death is also connected and not a coincidence.

I don't believe TM's story from start to finish because it simply doesn't add up. He's protecting his daughter, he's prepared to lie and he's hoping that his unblemished FBI record will stand to him. He only has to convince one juror and he's home and hosed. His denial of any knowledge of domestic violence is simply to avoid an accusation of a pre-meditated attack.

This is what happened, or something similar, in my opinion. JC was murdered in a frenzied attack by an alcohol fueled woman infatuated with his children and by a father in law who had an open and long standing dislike for him. I hope they both get sent down for a very long time.

For legal fees the Slayer Rule will prevent the JC interest accruing to the Ms and this will happen whatever the verdict. The rule is civil law and does not require criminal conviction of manslaughter or murder but that the beneficiaries were involved in the unlawful death; thus they can’t benefit. I saw a case in Ireland where there was joint tenancy with survivorship rights to the slayer who had an equitable to the property being denied all rights of benefit even their own equitable interest. I’m sure the C family would hotly contest any beneficiary rights emanating to the M in the civil courts of any part of JC estate falling into their hands.

For the M it could mean a pauperised retirement (if not getting free state accommodation with supplied clothing) with even a lean on their pension entitlement if these are not already forfeit along with their home. I understand the criminal trial has already cost a $40,000 bail bond loss. Report also state their trial lawyers are costing $800,000 for both of them and then they have to pay all the ancillary cost of a trial living away from home which I’m sure in total will be well over the $900,000 limits. The SC beach property equity that was sold in earlier in 2017 would appear was used to pay MM custody fray.<modsnip>

For the Ms’ its lose lose and to why they risked all on this odyssey is beyond belief.

But then again terrible arrogance brings that contempt.

If you are referring to the famous case of Celine Cauley, murdered by her husband, also a brick if I remember correctly, he is wealthy. He was entitled to his half share of their jointly owned home and also his share of their jointly owned company which she set up. He left prison a wealthy man.

Great post.

Thank you.

How do you think the jury will see it sshhh! Will either or both of the martens be found guilty, in your opinion?

thank our.

I think sssh just explained that they think both attacked Jason so both are responsible for his death. Tom admitted hitting Jason with a baseball bat .Molly says she tried to hit him with the paver in her statements but state has proved he was hit multiple times with the paver . Tom had no knowledge of the paver until after so he didn't use it . Molly told Tom she used the paver.So unless Molly takes the stand and explains her side of the incident,the state and Tom
have both proven that Molly is lying . The state has proved excessive force was used IMO Jason's injuries were horrific

Just to add I don't think they would risk putting Molly on the stand . If Tom couldn't handle it I highly doubt Molly could .

I do believe that there was some planning. Regarding witnesses to forms, it does not mean that you have to go it for them to witness it, forms that require witnesses can be witnessed by anyone, just like if you do a home will, you get a couple of your friends to witness it. Said witnesses maybe required in the future to confirm that they did actually sign it. And I can guarantee you, if you take out life assurance on your life or that of another, you are required to sign the form as is the life assured. There is no way around it, it is a legal document.

I think you have to have it signed in front of a Notary Public.

I would completely agree with sshhh! that something very similar to this happened. I would add the following:

(a) it is possible that MM made the mojito for JC and dropped the prescription tablets into it earlier in the evening. There was also a reference somewhere to MM bringing out two large beers to JC and his neighbour that evening (where they didn't finish the second) so it was possible she was getting him as intoxicated as possible; and

(b) she also uses the brick when she can on JC while TM is fighting with JC.

Separately, I agree with other posts that it was highly unusual that the Martens would have made the 4 hour trip to see them in NC arriving at 8.30 pm having being there the previous weekend and cancelling their dinner plans. It all sounds last minute. If they were planning to go, I would have thought they should have left early that morning. With her several calls to the father that day, things were obviously coming to a head with JC and she needed her father to come and back her up.

The problem is though, I don't see how things are going to pan out for MM. While TM has admitted he hit JC numerous times with the baseball bat and it's a case of determining whether it's self defence or not, MM hasn't admitted anything (which has been put before the jury at least from what I can tell). I appreciate that the reporting is minuscule and maybe I have missed something so please correct me if I have.

Her fingerprints are not on either of the murder weapons and according to TM's own testimony, he dealt the fatal blow which brought JC down i.e. TM killed him. Yes, there is blood spatter on MM's clothes but all that says is that she was in the immediate vicinity when JC was hit. It doesn't mean she hit him. So there is no direct evidence of MM's involvement, it's all just circumstantial.

It was a clever move to have them jointly defended so they can't incriminate each other and I doubt she will take the stand but if she says nothing and TM has admitted to it, I would be nervous that it is game over. That would be a travesty.

JMHO.

The Irish Daily Mail it gets worse
Molly Martens tried to summon Jason's Corbetts two children to testify in her defence
During legal argument on Friday it emerged that Ms Martens legal team had filed a motion to determine the availability of Jason's son and daughter
The Corbett family met her efforts with sustained resistance in a desperate bid to shield them from the trauma of a trial
Judge David lee said it was a jurisdictional issue and the children could not be subpoenaed
Tomorrow Mollys 2 brothers are to testify in her defence.The judge said he hopes the jury can begin deliberations tomorrow evening or Tuesday morning

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishMail/posts/1942165646040977

We know for example that JC made a specific point of keeping the kids passports in his office at work.

We know that TL testified that JC had intended to travel to the birthday in Ireland with the kids only. She also testified that MM contacted her separately to enquire about the date and to suggest she would be travelling too. Which TL found very odd.

We know from earlier reports and media articles that JC had told a co-worker that he intended on returning to Ireland permanently without MM. We know TL testified that he was homesick and lonely.

These three issues tell me that there was a long running battle going on between JC and MM. MM probably had a sense of some of JC's plans, this would explain why she called TL fishing for information on the party date. It also shows that JC was not communicating his plans or the finer details to MM. This is something that would obviously cause a lot of tension. TL also testified that JC never actually booked any flights to Ireland, despite making several attempts to do so. So he was clearly in regular contact with his sister with updates about this trip. We know that money was no object so the question is, what was he waiting for? The opportune moment to book everything without MM finding out? Or was he intending to leave it as late as possible to book so that himself and the kids could just up and go in a flash?

Then we have TM's 'hatred' of JC. We also have TM & SM making a sudden decision to drive to North Carolina on Aug 1st instead of attending a pre-planned dinner party. TM conveniently brings a baseball bat with him (which we now know was an old second hand bat belonging to his son when he was a kid). We also know that MM repeatedly called her parents during their journey. I'd be inclined to suggest that MM was regularly on the phone to her parents, venting about JC and feeding them information. I'd also suggest that this is one of the main reasons why TM 'hated' JC - MM was painting a bad picture of both JC and the marriage to her family on a regular basis. Remember also that the Irish media printed claims that the kids told law enforcement in the US that they witnessed JC and MM have a number of physical and verbal altercations.

So here's what I think happened. I think MM & JC had been having tensions and issues for months. JC had his own plans but MM was aware that something was in the offing. JC's brother had been over visiting only the week before so it's highly implausible that there wasn't at least some talk of the upcoming trip to Ireland. I think JC and MM had some sort of major disagreement or argument possibly around 31st July/August 1st whereby things came to a head, and MM challenged JC about his plans to go to Ireland with the kids but without her. It is possible, and it's my belief, that in the heat of this argument JC let it be known that he intended to return to Ireland with the kids permanently, and that they may not even return from their upcoming trip. This would have enraged MM, and most certainly would have had her contacting her parents in a state of panic. So her parents, being appalled by this, cancelled their plans and headed for North Carolina.

Remember both MM & JC had been drinking for most of the evening. It's possible that another argument or exchange of some sorts took place between MM & JC in the evening, or simply tensions were high, prompting JC to have an early night. It's possible TM & SM involved themselves in any exchange too - they didn't drive all the way to say nothing. JC goes to bed, MM stays downstairs with her parents. The events of the evening then lead a worked up and emotional MM to the bedroom, where she ransacks the room, opening all the drawers looking for the kids passports. JC tells her she's wasting her time because he keeps the passports in his office. This antagonises MM even more, so she goes downstairs, picks up a paving brick, returns to the room and attacks JC multiple times with the brick as he lies in bed. This would explain the blood on the bed and duvet. JC then starts defending himself by struggling to his feet and out of the bed. It's probably a chaotic scene. At this point TM enters the fray, possibly at the behest of MM. TM then proceeds to beat JC with the bat until he is down and not moving. This would be consistent with the evidence of the blood spatter expert who testified that JC was beaten down from a standing position. The forcefulness of the overkill is explained by all that has gone on in the lead up to the event. After they realise the JC is dead, TM stages the scene, they compose themselves and get their stories straight and then they ring 911.

In the following days they waste no time emptying bank accounts and attempting to access JC's office to get their hands on the kids passports. It's also very possible that the life insurance amendment made days prior to JC's death is also connected and not a coincidence.

I don't believe TM's story from start to finish because it simply doesn't add up. He's protecting his daughter, he's prepared to lie and he's hoping that his unblemished FBI record will stand to him. He only has to convince one juror and he's home and hosed. His denial of any knowledge of domestic violence is simply to avoid an accusation of a pre-meditated attack.

This is what happened, or something similar, in my opinion. JC was murdered in a frenzied attack by an alcohol fueled woman infatuated with his children and by a father in law who had an open and long standing dislike for him. I hope they both get sent down for a very long time.

I would agree with all of your views

He did not. It was a hypothethical question asked by prosecution regarding what action he would be likely to take supposing he knew his daughter was a victim of battery,
He stated he would advise her to dissolve marriage but would only intervene physically if he witnessed it first hand.

Heres rte link and context. but i did see dailymail article as well, thinking could be mixed up in editing
If informed Mr Corbett was abusing his daughter, Mr Martens said he would encourage her to take measures to protect herself, including possibly dissolving her marriage. If she was being physically abused in front of him, Mr Martens said he would intervene.
Mr Martens said he had no definitive information of any violent encounters in which Mr Corbett inflicted injury to Ms Martens-Corbett in Ireland.
He added that he did not witness any physical violence between Mr Corbett and his daughter prior to 2 August 2015.
Defendant does not remember if he washed his hands afterwards
When asked if he made the decision to kill Mr Corbett, Mr Martens replied no. He said he made the decision to hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat to subdue the threat to his daughter.
"Are you trying to take the blame for your daughter?" Mr Brown asked.
"No. I'm trying to take responsibility for what I did, and I'm trying to tell you truthfully what I did," Mr Martens replied.
The prosecutor asked if Mr Martens lost control and how long it took to call 911.
"It took a couple of minutes to gather myself, take a deep breath," Mr Martens said.
He estimated it took two minutes to collect himself, before then asking his daughter to find a phone and call 911.
Mr Martens said he does not remember if either he or his daughter washed their hands before using the phone to call for emergency help. Prior to the 911 call, neither Mr Martens or his daughter started CPR on Mr Corbett, he testified.
When asked whether he moved the vacuum cleaner, he said he did not think so, but allowed it was conceivable that in the hectic time of trying to administer CPR while on the phone with the 911 operator, he could have moved it.
He also said he did not remember washing his hands at any point prior to being interviewed at the sheriff's office.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0804/895294-corbett/

[FONT=&amp]MORE ON

Another contradicting statement, why would it be a strain that adoption wasn't moving along if he was advising mm to see legal advice about the marriage,

If he hated j as his colleague pointed out, he didn't like him as he pointed out, he didn't like his family, and his in law was uneducated why the heck would he want adoption slowing down divorce ??

Oh wait......he was possibly thinking about the love of his and mm life (money)

Jmo

[/FONT]
I was referring to an article in a paper yesterday. It's also referenced and quoted from TM testimony in today's Sunday independent.

"Mr Martens acknowledged he told his daughter he didn't think it was a good marraige and urged her to go to a lawyer and consider her divorce options"

Sunday Independant- Ralph Riegel. 6/8/17

http://www.independent.ie

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

I just don't get it...say for a second the Martens are telling the truth, say everything that Molly has alleged all along is true and the kids did in fact witness DV. Why would she put them through testifying??? Why would she put the responsibility of her defense on their shoulders?? If they were to stand up in court and 'tell the truth of their lives' to absolve her, but yet the jury still found her guilty, can she not see the trauma that would inflict on those two young souls?? Why would she risk that??

If it is an attempt to see the kids in person, it is selfish IMO. There is no care for the emotional well-being of these children. They should be everyone's priority.

Also, on a sidenote, has anyone else noticed Molly's brother Stewart has been decidedly missing from proceedings? Two brothers will testify, two brother's have attended court...

Feel happy in the fact this cold creature devoid of any mothering skills imo, will never know the love of these two lovely kids again.

To know their love and feel it and then have it taken away because of her callous and cruel actions, that's going to be punishment in itself, Imo no one gave her more than those kids and JC.

A little miffed at her trial though....still waiting on it to start, where are all the sisterhood? DV hearsay ? [emoji20]

Jmo

I think you have to have it signed in front of a Notary Public.

If you mean for a home made will, you don't actually in Ireland need it to be notarised. For a home made will it just needs to be signed at the end of the document by the testator & two witnesses (of sight) at the same time and no witness can be a beneficiary under the will (with limited exception such as if you marry a witness after the will is made). It is actually so simple to do it surprises me how many die without leaving a will. There is of course a certain format, certain statement that need to be contained in it for it to be legal but they are easy enough to find on line.

Feel happy in the fact this cold creature devoid of any mothering skills imo, will never know the love of these two lovely kids again.

To know their love and feel it and then have it taken away because of her callous and cruel actions, that's going to be punishment in itself, Imo no one gave her more than those kids and JC.

A little miffed at her trial though....still waiting on it to start, where are all the sisterhood? DV hearsay ? [emoji20]

Jmo

We don't know what was in MM's statement that the jury were given but we know it does incriminate her father and he accepted that in court so he is accepting the blame....probably knows he is going to prison and no point in both of them going. He and Sharon will be broke so if MM gets off she can collect her share of the house, insurance money, etc and look after SM.

TM didn't know about the brick though. He mustn't have seen MM using it so she must have used it before he arrived in the bedroom and if so Jason was in a much worse state and probably not able to "choke" MM as they suggested. It is quite possible she got the bat from the garage and the brick and brought them to the bedroom and was using both weapons in a frenzy before TM arrived in the room...then he had to take over. Jason was definitely assaulted first by MM and then TM arrived. He may also have left the room to go back down to SM and tell her what had just happened and MM may have continued with the brick at that stage.

disgraceful that they didn't do CPR but of course they didn't because they wanted him dead! If this was just a flight that got out of hand, they would have stopped but they didn't stop until they were sure he was dead!

IMO.

Jmo

We know that TM used the bat from his 911 call and his testimony on the stand.

We know that he never mentioned using the brick himself.

We know that the brick was used several times from the saturation of the blood on said brick.

We know that said brick didn't fly off the bedside table of its own accord and hit JC several times on the head.

We know that MM was the only other non injured person in that room.

We know that TM used the bat from his 911 call and his testimony on the stand.

We know that he never mentioned using the brick himself.

We know that the brick was used several times from the saturation of the blood on said brick.

We know that said brick didn't fly off the bedside table of its own accord and hit JC several times on the head.

We know that MM was the only other non injured person in that room.
Yeah we know all that I agree but so far the spotlight has been on TM, his testimony and the testimony of co workers and the evidence the state has presented. I have followed this case since August 2nd 2015 and listened to countless inflammatory statements about DV, financial abuse, the promises put out on social media that "we would all see" mm was innocent, she was a victim. Supporters hinting that they would testify etc etc etc etc etc,

Maybe I am totally lost here but have we heard from any witnesses or testimony whether state or defence in this trial? Except aboutbthe infamous foot tumour. Her brother's are said to testify perhaps Monday, but where has her behaviour, history, all the evidence collected in warrants, where is it all? I'm trying to point out all media outlets today are pointing out the case could well be handed to jurors tomorrow or Tuesday and the woman I believe imo killed JC has had no spotlight turned on her yet. I wait to see what occurs in court tomorrow but as it stands I think the state have built a fantastic case around TM it's thorough and detailed, mm on the other hand it doesn't seem so.

This is why I questioned the pair being tried together their case seems intertwined and imo jurors will have trouble looking at the two defendants individually when you have tm taking responsibility and a muted case for mm

Jmo

Yep, I think you just summed up a very plausible scenario.

The only thing we know about Mollys statement is that she said she tried to hit Jason with the paver but was unsuccessful I think the state has proven he was hit with the paver multiple times.
Tom has said Molly told him about the paver and she did hit Jason with it . IMO unless Molly takes the stand and explains why she lied in her original statement to police her credibility is out the window
Also if she was happy to put 2 heartbroken children on the stand children she supposedly loves why would she not go up there and explain herself. She is the most selfish human being I have ever come across in my life no loving parent would do that.

Martens said that daughter Molly Corbett told him later she had hit her husband with paving brick.
[video=twitter;893548709727830016]https://twitter.com/bobcostner/status/893548709727830016[/video]

. In statements to investigators, Molly Corbett said she tried to strike Jason Corbett with the paving stone but was unsuccessful.Martin argued otherwise. He said that prosecutors will prove that Molly Corbett and Martens hit Jason Corbett multiple times with the bat and the paving stone. Dr. Craig Nelson, the medical examiner will testify that when he took the scalp off Jason Corbett&#8217;s head for examination, chunks of skull fell out onto the examining table, Martin said.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
Brown later stated that Molly Corbett &#8220;did not try&#8221; to hit Jason Corbett with the cement paver - she &#8220;succeeded&#8221; in hitting him.

&#8220;(A cement paver) that she just so happened to have on her bed stand,&#8221; Brown said sarcastically.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/judge-rejects-attempt-dismiss-charges-10927451

It also emerged that hair found embedded on the blood-soaked garden paving brick matched the microscopic profile of the Limerick father of two's hair samples.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/martens-murder-trial-exfbi-agent-allegedly-told-coworker-he-hated-soninlaw-jason-court-hears-35989680.html

In James&#8217; opinion, due to the distribution of blood on the cement paver, he believes the object was used multiple times.
https://www.google.ie/amp/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/jason-corbett-murder-trial-paving-10915670.amp

This is exactly what I've thought all along, I posted something similar after they were arrested on one of the earlier forums. I've always thought it was about the children. MM reminds me of the type of woman so desperate to be a Mother, that they would steal a baby from a hospital nursery.

*my opinion only

That's very helpful so she has actually made a statement to that effect which the jury know about.

I agree with BeTrue though, there seems to have been surprisingly little focus on her otherwise given that she is the prime suspect and the trial is now starting to wind up.

I just wonder whether under NC law two people can be found guilty of the murder of the same person (my understanding is that in general they can't, subject to some exceptions).

TM will definitely take the fall if they can prove it was not self-defence as he testified to hitting him until he was down and so possibly giving him the fatal blow.

I suppose if she doesn't take the stand and both can't go down for murder, they should at a minimum be able to get her as an accessory/aiding & abetting which might carry the same sentence and get around it that way.

If anyone knows what the actual position is, you might post.

Appalled that she tried to get them to testify but i agree it is a smokescreen. Her lawyers would surely know about jurisdictional issue. She prob wanted to make a big show of rocking and crying and sobbing in front of the jury if by any chance theee was a video link arranged. Her selfishness knows no bounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx