GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my - this is horrible. Beyond horrible. When are the killings of young mothers in Raleigh going to stop!?!????!!!!!!! More young innocent children's lives changed forever. It just hurts my heart.

Found an interesting comment on GH's FB page -- although not talking about crime in general (he was talking about TV shows of today)

"lol!!! but how many CSI/ homicide detectives do u run across in there?"

Also, on GH's FB page, he was just uploading new pics a short 12 hours ago. WRAL says they were arrested in Kinston.

Also, on GH's FB page, he was just uploading new pics a short 12 hours ago. WRAL says they were arrested in Kinston.

I noticed that too. WRAL is known for reporting errors. I have to think that they were arrested in Raleigh. I don't think these two had any Kinston connections.

<BBM>

That is amazing. All those different names. The link after AE goes back to the page for AS, so I'm wondering what AH did as AE.

From what I found last night,

AA (Amanda Abernathy) I assume she used her family name - it appears she was raised in Aztec and Farmington, NM.

AE (Amanda Elmer) married Scott Elmer - lived together in both NM and Burket, TX.

AS (Amanda Smith) then married Micky Smith who she met in Burket - lived in TX, started a business Kinder Toys - left at some point for NY to pursue a career as an actress (without husband). 2007 left NY for Virgin Islands to reinvent herself as an artist. Ran the artists coop there and later an art supply store. In

AP (Amanda Perry) at some point she changed her last name to Perry while in the VI, though I can't determine if that was through marriage.

AH (Amanda Haze) met GH in VI during Grant's year there with LA and their 2 children, later married him.

I noticed that too. WRAL is known for reporting errors. I have to think that they were arrested in Raleigh. I don't think these two had any Kinston connections.

Grant's parents live in Kinston and they run a daycare there.

With so many conflicting and confusing reports, it is getting so easy to point fingers at the ex-spousal equivalent because our experience shows the hubby almost always "did" it.

I think this case has many more twists and turns to make before the truth is shown. It all just feels half-baked.

I do agree with you in a way. I'm wondering if Laura dug up some dirt on one or both of them for the upcoming custody hearing as they were both doing their damndest (or so it seems) to smear her reputation. Both GH and AH's careers would suffer a whole bunch if some ugly things were made public.

Yikes! I was looking at his facebook. What a waste of talent. I guess u never know! I bet his friends are shocked!

Oh my - this is horrible. Beyond horrible. When are the killings of young mothers in Raleigh going to stop!?!????!!!!!!! More young innocent children's lives changed forever. It just hurts my heart.

This is a horrendous murder and unfortunately not the only one we are hearing about. It is happening more and more all over. I don't understand killing rather than dealing with an ex or child support. If the ex and his wife did this than they are two selfish, cruel, and stupid people. If they did it than 3 children are without parents and 2 will know their father murdered their mother in a vicious attack. These children have to live with this the rest of their lives and that makes it so much worse. Think of the emotional damage to these children.

I hope and pray they will be raised in a loving home.

Please, lets be very careful here. The description of a volatile, controlling, isolated relationship is not a healthy one. At the very least that would seem to suggest an emotionally abusive relationship. And often, where there is smoke, there is fire.

It's really, really common for abusers to claim that their victims are depressed, crazy, etc. Abusers are skilled manipulators and smooth liars with years of practice. They may come across as confident, secure, and sincere to court officials. They may even relish court proceedings as a way to continue to degrade and harass their victims legally. Battered moms on the other hand have suffered real, ongoing trauma. They may appear nervous, depressed, emotional, angry, etc. not as the result of any mental deficit or personality disorder, but as a direct outcome of the abuse. Abusers are only too happy to help paint the picture of a crazy or unstable victim - they seek to degrade her further and also to cast doubt on allegations she may make.

Judges go to law school, where they learn to frame arguments, cite case law, research precedent, etc. Little, if any, of their training is devoted to family dynamics, especially where control/abuse and family violence are involved. This is why 70% of abusers are successful in gaining sole or joint custody of their children. It's a scary thought and a HUGE obstacle that family violence advocates work to overcome.

So given her friend's statements about the relationship it would be wise to take any comments from the court proceedings about her mental state with a grain of salt.

Here is a brief, non-legalese article that talks a little bit about the problem:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/660204579/Batterers-often-get-custody-of-children.html

Excellent research can be found by reading anything written by Lundy Bancroft, or checking out the websites of great organizations like DV Leap and the Leadership Council.

^ Bears repeating at this point, given what we now know.

I have gone back to GH's FB page several times in the past week. It's been difficult looking at the pictures, this morning it's been impossible.

I am so saddened by the news I am waking up to today. Those poor children having to grow up with no parents and this kind of history.

From what I can gather...Grant and his wife were the last to see Laura, they murdered Laura, drove her car across the street to where she and Grant had currently lived, dismembered her body, and drove it to a creek a few miles from Amanda's families home in Texas, while leaving all of the weapons and evidence in his apartment. It sounds like they were both incredibly stupid or someone really wanted to make it look like they killed her.

Also the day she was reported missing he was commenting with a friend about reality shows. 12:54 pm.

Yikes! I was looking at his facebook. What a waste of talent. I guess u never know! I bet his friends are shocked!

Probably not the one who overheard GH once telling a woman, "my watch is worth more than your life". (For those who want to find this, its from another local forum, which also has posts in the past from LA looking for an apt and/or roommates in 2006 posting with her then - not GH - boyfriend's account. You can search on her gmail acct w/username lackerman.)

Found an interesting comment on GH's FB page -- although not talking about crime in general (he was talking about TV shows of today)

"lol!!! but how many CSI/ homicide detectives do u run across in there?"

Sounds like he's gonna be able to answer his own question with some up close and personal experience.

This makes me want to vomit.

Probably not the one who overheard GH once telling a woman, "my watch is worth more than your life". (For those who want to find this, its from another local forum, which also has posts in the past from LA looking for an apt and/or roommates in 2006 posting with her then - not GH - boyfriend's account. You can search on her gmail acct w/username lackerman.)

~~~~~~

Soooo interesting! Can you help an older lady out and give me more clues as to where to find that!? I'm sure it crystal clear to everybody...but me! :)

Based on this post from one of our members: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6938748&postcount=50

I'm going to guess that LA's apt. was the crime scene. It's unfortunate that I have learned through both Lauren Giddings and Leiby K.'s awful cases that dismemberment usually occurs at the site of the crime/murder. My assumption is that LA was transported to Texas in a suitcase or something similar.

I'm speechless... :(

And I as well. How horrible is it, that we hear of these cases over and over again. People still think that they can "get away with it". I am so grateful to law enforcement and supersleuths everywhere for the work they do. I wonder sometimes how people can live with themselves knowing they have killed. I suppose some of us have no conscience.

I am so saddened by the news I am waking up to today. Those poor children having to grow up with no parents and this kind of history.

From what I can gather...Grant and his wife were the last to see Laura, they murdered Laura, drove her car across the street to where she and Grant had currently lived, dismembered her body, and drove it to a creek a few miles from Amanda's families home in Texas, while leaving all of the weapons and evidence in his apartment. It sounds like they were both incredibly stupid or someone really wanted to make it look like they killed her.

Where were the children while all this occurred? I hope they were not in the house!

Based on this post from one of our members: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6938748&postcount=50

I'm going to guess that LA's apt. was the crime scene. It's unfortunate that I have learned through both Lauren Giddings and Leiby K.'s awful cases that dismemberment usually occurs at the site of the crime/murder. My assumption is that LA was transported to Texas in a suitcase or something similar.I'm speechless... :(

Joe Garza, a crime scene witness, said he saw authorities take two coolers wrapped in saran wrap, a gun and a saw out of a house.

This case is so very sad!! R.I.P. Laura. You did not deserve this.

How very sad it is that it is becoming so common that exhusbands kill their exwives over custody or over control issues (if I can't have you then no one will). What is also extremely disturbing to me is the women involved as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member