GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me this will b one of those trials where the defendant is his own worst enemy. I hope the judge runs a tight ship.

bbm No doubt, rest assured, tight but fair, sea-chiq. Judge Stephens, as you prolly remember, is wise and has, as so many of his caliber have, seen it all. A large part of his background is prosecution, but he is wise and honorable enuff to be level-handed and to handle trials that have a very low degree of reversal. A good friend of mine here in Raleigh (and his father as well) are (believe it or not, but it's true) very above-board, intelligent, honorable defense attorneys and they speak very highly of him as a jurist. But they always mention that "he was a prosecutor"!

Is GH just putting up a front with his wise-acre attitude and his pickin' & grinnin' or what? His attorneys prolly can't even get him to wipe that smile off his face. And now with the winking. Grrrrrr. :banghead:

Some of us remember A. Sneiderman when she was on the stand in HN's trial, and she didn't -- still doesn't -- have much of a fan club.... She has some supporters, and that's normal and I applaud very much standing by your friends.

On AH not being on the PT's witness list (yet, maybe???) -- have they discussed things with her re this trial & decided that it would not benefit their case? Is she refusing to talk to them? Too dangerous -- backfire material? A mystery to me... Life is complicated...
icon6.gif

Is it the same judge from the Kathy Taft trial?

No, it's not, seattle -:seeya:- Judge Gessner presided at the Williford/Taft trial; Gessner also presided the Brad/Nancy Cooper trial; Judge Stephens presided at the Jason Young trials.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9219428
WDTV - Raleigh, NC -- 8/27/13

Grant Hayes jury selection continues

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Snipped:

So far, 12 jurors have been picked by the prosecution. If the defense strikes any of the jurors already picked by the prosecution, and that is likely, then the process of picking those replacements will begin again.

Good Wednesday Morning, Sleuthers!! :seeya:

No jurors yet, huh? Well now, I've got an idea!!

Why don't we meet in front of the Wake County Courthouse, Raleigh NC, and gang up ------ till there's about 16 of us --we should not plan to wear the same type clothes (some of us remember that one!), get cleared at the gate inside, have the security guard page the 1st chair principals and Hizzoner Stephens and have the guard announce that the :websleuther:Grant-Going-Down-in-a-Wave-of-Guilty-Hayes-Jury :websleuther: (I will not say :liar: Haze, no, no, no) has arrived and is ready for business.That way the trial can start by 9:30 which is when WakeCo likes to start bizznezz.

Whaddya say, sports fans?! Seattle:cup:chiquita, Ann :star1:Tx and all other :worldmap: distant:desert: folk, get on that east coast plane now; JJ, :lookingitup: be dressed and ready -- bring the Krispy:cupcake:-Kremes please, BTW; NCEast, get a stretch limo and driver for you to stretch, relax and ride (will also be good for a going-to-lunch transport while we absolutely do not discuss The Case :fence:):justice: -- other Easterners should get out:bicycle: on the side of Hwy 70 and or 64 have a "Juror":justice: sign and a thumb :thumb: stickin' out.

We'll save the day!!:smiliescale: . :bee: . :websleuther: . :gomods: . :rollercoaster: .

Sounds like the defense now has the right to strike from any of these 12 jurors that have been seated. If they do; they will then restart the jury voirdire process over to get the amt they have stricken. Trial may begin sometime today or not. I DK. I think wral is going to cover it tho. I'll keep checking throughout the day; I just read on wral about the 12 seated jurors but the def hasn't had their turn at strikes yet.

Jury selection moves into third day

kfp0828-ackerson-trial.jpg

Grant Ruffin Hayes

By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Kinston.com
Published: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 00:37 AM.

RALEIGH — With two days completed in the trial of Grant Ruffin Hayes, the 12 people who will decide his fate have yet to be named.

Hayes is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of former Kinston resident Laura Jean Ackerson in July 2011.

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens allowed two jurors to be excused Tuesday morning for personal reasons, putting new jurors in seats No. 6 and 12. State prosecutors finished their questions for prospective jurors, as well, asking jurors No. 5 and 10 to be released from their obligations.

With the addition of two additional new jurors, there are an equal number of men and women in the jury box, along with two military veterans.

Read more:

http://www.kinston.com/news/local/jury-selection-moves-into-third-day-1.193871?page=0

On the WRAL noon news today they reported that 8 jurors have been seated so far.

There is no report yet on the website to link to as a source.

so whatcha think when will opening statements begin and will wral air it?

Jury selection moves into third day

kfp0828-ackerson-trial.jpg

Grant Ruffin Hayes

By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Kinston.com
Published: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 00:37 AM.

RALEIGH — With two days completed in the trial of Grant Ruffin Hayes, the 12 people who will decide his fate have yet to be named.

Hayes is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of former Kinston resident Laura Jean Ackerson in July 2011.

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens allowed two jurors to be excused Tuesday morning for personal reasons, putting new jurors in seats No. 6 and 12. State prosecutors finished their questions for prospective jurors, as well, asking jurors No. 5 and 10 to be released from their obligations.

With the addition of two additional new jurors, there are an equal number of men and women in the jury box, along with two military veterans.

Read more:

http://www.kinston.com/news/local/jury-selection-moves-into-third-day-1.193871?page=0

On page two of the article Ann-Tx posted:

Juror No. 12 left the courtroom for a brief period following the 4 p.m. break because she injured her leg on a marble bench and had to be treated by EMS technicians.

I was in Judge Stephens' courtroom for jury duty last week (didn't get picked) and I'm pretty sure I know that bench! As you exit the courtroom everybody turns right to go down the hall and there's a bench jutting from the wall that you'd smack right into if you were talking to someone and not looking down. I almost hit it myself.

I was in Judge Stephens' courtroom for jury duty last week (didn't get picked) and I'm pretty sure I know that bench! As you exit the courtroom everybody turns right to go down the hall and there's a bench jutting from the wall that you'd smack right into if you were talking to someone and not looking down. I almost hit it myself.

This is in the new building, right? Maybe they should put orange cones on each side of that bench!

I'm thinking that opening statements won't happen until Tuesday at the earliest due to the long holiday weekend. But....wait! We're not in Maricopa County, AZ! Maybe they will start immediately when jury selection is complete if that is finalized this week. ;)

This is in the new building, right? Maybe they should put orange cones on each side of that bench!

I'm thinking that opening statements won't happen until Tuesday at the earliest due to the long holiday weekend. But....wait! We're not in Maricopa County, AZ! Maybe they will start immediately when jury selection is complete if that is finalized this week. ;)

Yes, the new building on the 7th floor. Judge Stephens' said last week's trial was his first in the new courtroom.

HEY HEY we have a jury, folks! 8 women, 4 men. 10 whites, 2 blacks. Alternate juror selection up next. 3:41pm #hayestrial. Wes Wolfe. @WolfeReports

Looks like they're now working on the alternates.

Updated to add this tweet, also from Wes Wolfe:
Witnesses should start being called in #hayestrial no later than 11 a.m. Thursday. Laura Ackerson's brother 3rd on the stand. 4:35pm

Change -- Judge Stephens says he'll ask jurors to report at 11:30. Witnesses not likely until after lunch, if then. #hayestrial. 4:39pm

Well, little Skittles, WE pick you! Do you have an idea as to why you were not selected for whatever case was pending? (I'm serious here. And certainly, only if you want to answer.) Did WS or any questions about forums or that type thing come up? I like to hear more.... were you questioned? By both sides?

I know how it goes, I guess, but I've never been there/done that, so it remains an intriguing mystery to me. I've been registered to vote here for 30+ years, and I've only been called once. I already had plans, plane tickets, paid registration, etc., for an o/o/town business conference; I wrote a letter showing documentation & was excused. Haven't been called since. I'll prolly be called for Grand Jury & have no excuse -- that'd be okay with me -- but it's a big commitment.

So glad to hear you didn't bench yourself upon leaving Judge Stephens' room! Was the new building impressive?

I'll shut up now, Skittles!
icon12.gif

so whatcha think when will opening statements begin and will wral air it?

Our Ann-Tx asked WRAL & got the reply that they were planning to live stream the trial beginning with opening statements. So, hang on!

One more thanks to Ann-Tx!!

Good point, Boodles! They should, unless it's late in the day. In Wake Co, as most prolly know, the usual schedule is Monday thru Friday, and court begins at 9:30EDT and goes till 5:00EDT. They have a 15-20 min am and pm break, and about a 1 1/2 hour lunch. Lunch is long because the principals do have other work going on, and it also allows for any little conferences, etc., for the principals that would not involve the jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member