GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: Kinston.com is the online version of the Kinston Free Press, a daily newspaper located in Kinston, NC.

Jury impaneled in Hayes murder trial

By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Kinston.com- Kinston,NC

Published: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 21:41 PM.

With those three words, Jeff Cutler — defense attorney for Grant Ruffin Hayes — closed the door on three long days of jury selection in Hayes' trial for allegedly murdering his ex-girlfriend, former Kinston resident Laura Jean Ackerson.

Early Wednesday morning, the defense asked for Jurors No. 1, 3, 5 and 7 to be excused from duty, and they needed to be replaced. Juror No. 1 had a son active in Wake County law, Jurors No. 3 and 5 had Army combat experience and Juror No. 7 had religious objections to the practice of psychology.

All were white males.

Read multi-page article:

http://www.kinston.com/news/local/jury-impaneled-in-hayes-murder-trial-1.194301?tc=cr

Thank you so much for posting this link. I always like a 'look' at the jury before a trial begins and this article did just that.

Hello everyone, I have been MIA and it's good to be back among the living. Part of the problem has been bladder stones that may have migrated from my kidneys. Good golly, it's been a rough 10 days and I feel as though I should have 5 or 6 newborns here.
I'm so looking forward to opening statements and hope we gain more insight into what's ahead in this trial through them. Also looking forward to spending time with you guys on here!

Thoughts so far, while reading the case archive:

They're both smirking in their arrest mugshots.

Also, while I was falling asleep last night I could swear I read something (not on WRAL) saying Hayes was going to pin the murder on Amanda. I can't find reference to it now.

EDIT: Ah, I found it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9208746

Now, Grant Hayes' attorneys want Amanda's sister to testify for Grant sayin she relayed a conversation in which Amanda allegedly said she killed Ackerson.

This is probably old news to you guys.

Thoughts so far, while reading the case archive:

They're both smirking in their arrest mugshots.

Also, while I was falling asleep last night I could swear I read something (not on WRAL) saying Hayes was going to pin the murder on Amanda. I can't find reference to it now.

EDIT: Ah, I found it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9208746

This is probably old news to you guys.

It was a bombshell piece of info last week when we watched the motions hearing. The info that Amanda 'shoved Laura and hurt her bad' was new info to us as well as the sister in TX knowing the purpose of Grant and Amanda's visit there to dump the body parts. Seems, in my mind, the sister should be charged with complicity of some sorts but maybe they are not charging her with anything in exchange for her cooperation in this case. I am anxious to see how it plays out.

It was a bombshell piece of info last week when we watched the motions hearing. The info that Amanda 'shoved Laura and hurt her bad' was new info to us as well as the sister in TX knowing the purpose of Grant and Amanda's visit there to dump the body parts. Seems, in my mind, the sister should be charged with complicity of some sorts but maybe they are not charging her with anything in exchange for her cooperation in this case. I am anxious to see how it plays out.

And her sister is on the witness list right? (Sorry, jumping in here, I'm planning on following this too!) I think this trial is going to be REALLY interesting, especially with GH now blaming AH.

Guessing, but I think GH will pin it on AH, who will in turn claim a post-partum psychosis kind of defense OR that GH did it or made her do it and she was just "protecting the babies." Her adult daughter will line up to support whatever AH claims, which IMO is a plus for her.
(Interview with daughter from 2011: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8291952)

Wondering about the defense striking juror #7 b/c he doesn't buy into "psychological" stuff. What kind of "psych evidence" will the GH defense try to get in?

The more I think about it, the more I wish they were being tried together so they can't manipulate the legal process by pointing fingers at the other in their separate trials by separate juries. (But I'm sure Stephens made the right decision legally.)

And her sister is on the witness list right? (Sorry, jumping in here, I'm planning on following this too!) I think this trial is going to be REALLY interesting, especially with GH now blaming AH.

There have already been a few twists in this case which adds to the suspense. I think her sister's name is Ms. Berry....can't remember her first name. IIRC she is on the witness list.
Glad you have you join us PandaJ!

G W ‏@whoopcourttv 49m #GrantHayes Opening Statements due to begin at 11:30am ET watch live at http://whoopwhoop.tv/granthayes.htm
----

Anyone have the wral live stream link? I tried looking at whoop when we were looking for a Chrisman link and didn't care for it.

Guessing, but I think GH will pin it on AH, who will in turn claim a post-partum psychosis kind of defense OR that GH did it or made her do it and she was just "protecting the babies." Her adult daughter will line up to support whatever AH claims, which IMO is a plus for her.
(Interview with daughter from 2011: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8291952)

Wondering about the defense striking juror #7 b/c he doesn't buy into "psychological" stuff. What kind of "psych evidence" will the GH defense try to get in?

The more I think about it, the more I wish they were being tried together so they can't manipulate the legal process by pointing fingers at the other in their separate trials by separate juries. (But I'm sure Stephens made the right decision legally.)

Thanks for including the link to the daughter's interview. I haven't watched it in a while. She's about as creepy as her mom and gives me the feeling that she will lie until the end of time to defend her mother.

G W ‏@whoopcourttv 49m #GrantHayes Opening Statements due to begin at 11:30am ET watch live at http://whoopwhoop.tv/granthayes.htm
----

Anyone have the wral live stream link? I tried looking at whoop when we were looking for a Chrisman link and didn't care for it.

Usually WRAL.com will provide the link directly from their website.
Good morning Geevee!!

Usually WRAL.com will provide the link directly from their website.
Good morning Geevee!!

I have been refreshing WRAL.com for the past 20 minutes to see if a link is up and so far nothing.

Good morning everyone. I have been anxiously awaiting this trial. And that smirk on Grant's face? :barf:

Good morning to all my favorite people!!! I got up late and rushed in! :coffeews:

WRAL still not up.

In other news, I cannot wear high heels anymore. I have a sad. Been running on those stilettos for the past *gasp* 30 years!

Live picture.

ETA: Okay, continually buffering live picture. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members