GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ariane :wave: good to see you here, I enjoy your posts and your sarcasm!!!!

Haha, oh god, is that the reputation I've cultivated?

I'm a local for this case, but I find I'm not nearly as up on current events as I was when I lived in Florida (although admittedly when I lived in Florida I worked at the city newspaper; ignorance of local news wasn't an option). I appreciate that you guys follow these cases, though, and I lurked a lot during the Abaroa trial (which I guess isn't over yet?).

Hi Skittles!!

I get all misty-eyed at how grown up our little Boz is... <sniff, sniff>. Seemed like just yesterday he was out of the 8th grade and trying his first case. ;-)

For those not local to the Raleigh area, a few of us go way back to prior trials and the local cast of characters.

Well, little Skittles, WE pick you! Do you have an idea as to why you were not selected for whatever case was pending? (I'm serious here. And certainly, only if you want to answer.) Did WS or any questions about forums or that type thing come up? I like to hear more.... were you questioned? By both sides?

I know how it goes, I guess, but I've never been there/done that, so it remains an intriguing mystery to me. I've been registered to vote here for 30+ years, and I've only been called once. I already had plans, plane tickets, paid registration, etc., for an o/o/town business conference; I wrote a letter showing documentation & was excused. Haven't been called since. I'll prolly be called for Grand Jury & have no excuse -- that'd be okay with me -- but it's a big commitment.

So glad to hear you didn't bench yourself upon leaving Judge Stephens' room! Was the new building impressive?

I'll shut up now, Skittles!
icon12.gif

I didn't even get interviewed this time. The initial pool for this particular trial was 35 people, and they filled 12 slots and 1 alternate before they drew my name to go up to the juror seats. I've been called for duty five times, gotten on the jury three times, wasn't interviewed for the other two.

They didn't ask anything specifically about Websleuths, mostly just questions about people's employment, and any prejudices toward the defendant, the victim, the police, etc.

The building was great except for the upholstered chairs in the juror lounge where you have to wait until the judge calls for the jury pool. The chairs were really deep--average size people have to slouch to rest their backs against the seat back. I'm guessing they didn't have anyone test the chairs for any length of time.

In my 11 years here in NC I've never been called for jury duty. And yes, I'm registered to vote and do vote. Prior to that, in 19 years living in CA I got called once and never even had to go in to the courthouse. And I wanted to serve (mostly because I hated my job and it would be a nice break). But no dice.

Hi Skittles!!

I get all misty-eyed at how grown up our little Boz is... <sniff, sniff>. Seemed like just yesterday he was out of the 8th grade and trying his first case. ;-)

For those not local to the Raleigh area, a few of us go way back to prior trials and the local cast of characters.

Hi to you, too. I was just about to send you an email to check up on you!

In my 11 years here in NC I've never been called for jury duty. And yes, I'm registered to vote and do vote. Prior to that, in 19 years living in CA I got called once and never even had to go in to the courthouse. And I wanted to serve (mostly because I hated my job and it would be a nice break). But no dice.

I was very glad I got called last week and not this week. I didn't want a three-week trial.

Haha, oh god, is that the reputation I've cultivated?

I'm a local for this case, but I find I'm not nearly as up on current events as I was when I lived in Florida (although admittedly when I lived in Florida I worked at the city newspaper; ignorance of local news wasn't an option). I appreciate that you guys follow these cases, though, and I lurked a lot during the Abaroa trial (which I guess isn't over yet?).

Lurk no more! We need your insights! Plus, I can't be the funny one at all times girlfriend!

It is going to be an interesting trial and it appears there are a lot of "locals" here. I love reading your posts!

Thumbs up to NC!
88030.gif

WRAL - Raleigh, NC

Posted: 4:35 p.m. today
Updated: 6:18 p.m. today

Opening statements likely Thursday in Raleigh murder trial

Raleigh, N.C. — Opening statements could start as early as Thursday in the trial of a Raleigh man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend two years ago, chopping up her body and disposing of her remains in a Texas creek.

Defense attorneys and Wake County prosecutors had chosen 12 jurors and one alternate juror Wednesday afternoon in the case against Grant Ruffin Hayes – who along with his wife, Amanda Perry Hayes – is charged with first-degree murder in the July 2011 death of Laura Jean Ackerson.

Two alternate jurors still need to be seated.

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/opening-statements-likely-thursday-in-raleigh-murder-trial/12828191/

Yes, the new building on the 7th floor. Judge Stephens' said last week's trial was his first in the new courtroom.

Yes, it's supposed to be very nice -- one negative about this new building -- my friend, who is now a retired District Court Judge, when I asked her about Judge Stephens' retirement -- she has great respect for Hizzoner, and she said he always takes the ruff cases that nobody else wants -- anyway, she said he would retire after the "crew" is settled in the new building. So we may see Stephens less in the near future. I cannot see him stepping down, however -- he is the Chief Resident Superior Court Judge. He seems healthy and energetic to me, but I don't of course see him outside the courtroom. He was admitted to the bar in 1970, so he prolly is in his late 60's. I don't know if there is a mandatory retirement age in the court system, but..... Anyway, I like the guy, and I will miss his presence in the courtroom, and my friend says his absence would be very noticeable. I'll get maudlin if I continue...

And here's the amazing address he gave to the court and especially to the defendant, Jason Young, at the close of the trial where JY was convicted for the savage beating of his sweet wife, Michelle. It was not read, Stephens simply looked a JW and spoke to him.

It was published March 6, 2012, one day after the Guilty of 1st Degree Murder verdict was handed down. A very accurate and especially eloquent statement of DV both in general and specific to the Young case.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/06/1909107/judge-donald-stephens-on-the-jurys.html

I guess they just don't like us, Mad! I want to serve as well.
icon6.gif

WRAL - Raleigh, NC is suppose to "live stream" the trial starting with opening statements.

"Live stream" might start tomorrow. If so, here is the Link to WRAL's homepage.
You should be able to click on from there like in the Jason Young trial (if you watched the Young trial last year) .

http://www.wral.com/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC -- Homepage

If you are not from NC, don't forget . . . EDT.

For example: 9 am EDT/8 am CDT

Here's a link to a time zone map:

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/time_zone.shtml
Time/temp map - United States Time Zone Map

Hinky-stinky ^^^^ this business, ArianeEmory. Sad, sad, too. I don't like what I have read. At all. This one better not slip away, but it seems pretty greasy to me just now, IMO. <smh>

Thanks for checking it out. That's officially my first "justice for..." type sig. I tend to get all over the forums posting everywhere, and the thread was staying buried. (Heljena's been the one providing a lot of info, with me offering useful responses such as "are you serious?!)

I'm glad they got the special prosecutor in as a result of the public outcry, but I'm really not familiar enough with how that stuff works to say whether the "special prosecutor" will come in unbiased. Here's hoping so.

So catch me up here: Grant and his girlfriend are being tried separately? I have the basics of the crime in my mind, I know she was found hundreds of miles away and that ice coolers were involved. Don't know motive. I'll do some google tomorrow as well.

Thanks for checking it out. That's officially my first "justice for..." type sig. I tend to get all over the forums posting everywhere, and the thread was staying buried. (Heljena's been the one providing a lot of info, with me offering useful responses such as "are you serious?!)

I'm glad they got the special prosecutor in as a result of the public outcry, but I'm really not familiar enough with how that stuff works to say whether the "special prosecutor" will come in unbiased. Here's hoping so.

So catch me up here: Grant and his girlfriend are being tried separately? I have the basics of the crime in my mind, I know she was found hundreds of miles away and that ice coolers were involved. Don't know motive. I'll do some google tomorrow as well.

Yes, they are being tried separately. Something tells me the girlfriend will plea once she sees how this *advertiser censored* will be dealt with. She is not, however,in the prosecution witness list, so no deal so far for reduced sentence and stuff.

First of all, AE, WRAL has a pretty good case archive -- it's not too terribly long to read, and it's pretty thorough. (You may have already read it).

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/?navkeyword=Grant+Hayes

WRAL is the MSM here in Raleigh -- they are the ones who will live-stream the trial for us; they do NOT stop the stream for commercials or comments unless there is an actual trial break or lunch; they also do NOT show graphic pics that are shown to the jury, not ever -- and they are quick to have the daily trial archive available the same night of that day's court session. There will be a link that you can use to get to the stream.
-------------
Yes, they are being tried separately. Initially they were to be tried together, but AH apparently received a threatening letter or some type of communication from GH about her lack of cooperation or whatevah and a threat against her life (from what we have been told).... I have not seen this letter or whatever -- I don't know if it's been published. Anyway she asked for a separate trial & Judge Stephens of course allowed it.

GH & LA have two young children together from a prior relationship (not marriage), and he got custody of the children due to her not having a steady job or income (IIRC) at the time of the custody argument. Since that time, she opened a business in Kinston, NC (about 60 miles from Raleigh), with a business partner and she was anticipating seeking custody of the two boys.

It is thought that GH asked LA to come to his (and AH's) apt. one night for a visit, and she was not seen alive again. So here we are...

One more tidbit: There is/was some doubt whether GH and AH are legally married... To my knowledge, we have not heard how that shakes out.

Please read thru the archive -- it will correct any mistakes my little run-down here has put forth and it will get you ready for the trial!

So glad to have you here, AE.
icon12.gif
Welcome, welcome to this case!! :seeya: We've already got a good group -- some WS loyals, and they're good ones -- level-headed, intelligent & reasonable with a necessary touch of humor & humility and good sense! We also some good newer folks whom we love to have join in and add their perspectives as well. And great mods who keep us out of trouble and on the right track for justice.

So stick around and let's see what happens.

And we'll watch out for the Illinois battle, too! Grrrrrr.

Note: Kinston.com is the online version of the Kinston Free Press, a daily newspaper located in Kinston, NC.

Jury impaneled in Hayes murder trial

By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Kinston.com- Kinston,NC

Published: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 21:41 PM.

With those three words, Jeff Cutler &#8212; defense attorney for Grant Ruffin Hayes &#8212; closed the door on three long days of jury selection in Hayes' trial for allegedly murdering his ex-girlfriend, former Kinston resident Laura Jean Ackerson.

Early Wednesday morning, the defense asked for Jurors No. 1, 3, 5 and 7 to be excused from duty, and they needed to be replaced. Juror No. 1 had a son active in Wake County law, Jurors No. 3 and 5 had Army combat experience and Juror No. 7 had religious objections to the practice of psychology.

All were white males.

Read multi-page article:

http://www.kinston.com/news/local/jury-impaneled-in-hayes-murder-trial-1.194301?tc=cr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaJ