GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the sound of this jury. Never followed jury selection before as the trials are on in the middle of the night here, so always only wanted to watch the main event for as long as I can stay awake lol

WRAL does good archiving of the trial days, so you can watch them whenever the time is good for you. :)

If you leave Margaret to go watch something else you will miss all of these funny things.

I am so looking forward to a trial also, there should be several this year.

So Happy you decided to join us!

Multi tasking lol working 3 windows

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m
Jury heading back to jury lounge for 20-minute break, but defense wants to talk to Juror No. 7 individually #ackerson
----

Here's what BCH said about #7:

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 1h
Juror No. 7, a white male, tells Hayes defense team his ex-wife was very deceptive and took money from him; after divorce, he testified ...

... for his ex-wife's next husband about the case. #ackerson
--

Looks like the defense wants to question number 7 individually (they must be on the fence about him). Time for a break for the rest of the jurors.

Defense seems not to be comfortable with Juror 7

Based upon tweets, I'd say Defense will want to toss 7

Just want to repeat what I've said about Bryan Hanks tweets. Excellent reporting so far.

WRAL does good archiving of the trial days, so you can watch them whenever the time is good for you. :)

That's what I did for GH trial, I'll probably last another hour before the bed bugs bite lol It's 3:18am here, had a nasty fall at the shops the other day, broke my ankle & heavy bruising to my hip & bottom, so too uncomfortable to get to sleep. That will teach me to be in too much of a hurry when shopping lol

Based upon tweets, I'd say Defense will want to toss 7

I dunno. He admitted to knowing that Grant was found guilty, and that is something that is important to the defense. They wanted all jurors to know that (not sure if it has been officially decided though).

According to Bryan Hanks previous tweet:

Juror No. 7, a white male, tells Hayes defense team his ex-wife was very deceptive and took money from him; after divorce, he testified ...

I dunno. He admitted to knowing that Grant was found guilty, and that is something that is important to the defense. They wanted all jurors to know that (not sure if it has been officially decided though).

True. I am wondering if Defense is concerned #7 knows too much.

That's what I did for GH trial, I'll probably last another hour before the bed bugs bite lol It's 3:18am here, had a nasty fall at the shops the other day, broke my ankle & heavy bruising to my hip & bottom, so too uncomfortable to get to sleep. That will teach me to be in too much of a hurry when shopping lol

Oh oww, I sure feel for you. :(

Summary of jurors thus far.

Adding more details from today 01/23/2014:

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White male. States he was a witness for his ex-wife's husband in a custody case. Tells Hayes defense team his ex-wife was very deceptive and took money from him; after divorce, he testified for his ex-wife's next husband about a case.

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: White female. Has has a daughter who is friends with a violent crime victim. Asked if she's familiar with sociopaths, she said she's read a book recently about the subject. Gets laugh from judge and courtroom when asked if she's known anyone to be deceitful; her answer: "Teenagers."

Juror No. 10: White female born in Panama, but has spent her life in U.S.; works with veterinary pathology journals. "I'm a little confused by the difference between sociopath and psychopath." "I've probably known a lot of sociopaths, but didn't know it." Draws laughter from courtroom.

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

***Group question was whether they had extensively traveled. All answered yes.***

Welp, gotta scratch 7, 9 and 10. Back to the drawing board, as they say.

Adding more details from today 01/23/2014:

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased. UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA. Parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom. "Caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted. Watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work" (Prior juror defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: Female. ECU grad (nursing) and New York native. She works in neonatal intensive care; her husband of 31 years is a photographer. Served on a jury "13 or 14 years ago" in Wake County where someone was rear-ended. Her father suffered a brutal mugging around 40 years ago. A daily newspaper reader, but doesn't remember much about Amanda Hayes other than she recently had a child. Admits she heard news report Sunday about jury selection for this trial; saw picture of Amanda Hayes in newspaper. Remembers Grant Hayes was a musician, coolers containing body parts found in Texas. Recognized @wral's Amanda Lamb and Dr. Deborah Radisch's from potential witness list. (First juror excused defense peremptory challenge)

Juror No. 10: Black female, has been married 4 months; she admits there would be stress with husband if she can't talk about case with him. Says she was falsely named in a class-action suit against her sorority; incident was in 2010, papers served in 2012. Said there was a death in her Delta Sigma Theta sorority at ECU, she was falsely named in suit; she was not in school at time. Best friend/maid of honor was recently promoted to position of homicide detective with Wilson Police Department. Says she can be fair if selected to the jury. A LOT of spousal abuse in her family history. Becoming emotional as she recounts a cousin who was murdered; his case is still open. Still says she can be a good juror in this case. Judge talking to her now. reveals she makes more money than her husband in her job, so there might be some financial concerns if she serves on jury. Talks to her mom "a lot. She introduced me to the reports about Grant Hayes trial." Said she knows Grant Hayes was found guilty and pretty much everything else about his trial. (First juror dismissed defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

***Group question was whether they had extensively traveled. All answered yes.***

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

ALERT: Judge tells 9 seated jurors the Hayes murder trial is set to start Monday at 9:30 a.m. #ackerson

:woot:

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 1m

Judge dismisses the 9 seated jurors and the process begins to replace the 3 jurors that were dismissed #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 6m

3 potential jurors being briefed by prosecution: No. 7 (formerly W/M) is W/F; No. 9 (formerly W/F) is W/F; No. 10 (formerly W/F) is B/F

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

Mother of Juror No. 7, white female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 48s

Juror No. 10 says she can be fair if selected to the jury #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

Juror No. 10's best friend/maid of honor was recently promoted to position of homicide detective with Wilson Police Department #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 3m

Juror No. 10 said there was a death in her Delta Sigma Theta sorority at ECU, she was falsely named in suit; she was not in school at time

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 3m

Juror No. 10 says she was falsely named in a class-action suit against her sorority; incident was in 2010, papers served in 2012 #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 5m

Juror No. 10, black female, has been married 4 months; she admits there would be stress with husband if she can't talk about case with him

ETA- Bryan Hanks is quick on the draw....hard to keep up with his tweets! :scared: :floorlaugh: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli