GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are fortunate Bryan Hanks is keeping us informed. But, sure will be tough waiting until Monday for trial to start.

That's what I did for GH trial, I'll probably last another hour before the bed bugs bite lol It's 3:18am here, had a nasty fall at the shops the other day, broke my ankle & heavy bruising to my hip & bottom, so too uncomfortable to get to sleep. That will teach me to be in too much of a hurry when shopping lol
Holy everything, Margaret ! When I want to start complaining about little inconsequential things I will pause, count to 25, and remind myself of the hot mess that you are going thru.

I didn't think these last 3 juror's sounded any better than the one's the defense let go. jmo

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 33m

Lots more questioning of Juror No. 10 from prosecution: a LOT of spousal abuse in her family history #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 31m

Juror No. 10 becoming emotional as she recounts a cousin who was murdered; his case is still open #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 31m

However, Juror No. 10 still says she can be a good juror in this case. Judge talking to her now #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 29m

Judge to Juror No. 10: Can you make a fair decision in this trial despite your cousin being the victim of homicide? J#10: Yes. #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 28m

Juror No. 10 reveals she makes more money than her husband in her job, so there might be some financial concerns if she serves on jury

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 27m

Back to Juror No. 7: UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA #ackerson

ryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 25m

Juror No. 7's parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 22m

Juror No. 9 is ECU grad (nursing) and New York native. She works in neonatal intensive care; her husband of 31 years is a photographer

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 20m

Juror No. 9 served on a jury "13 or 14 years ago" in Wake County where someone was rear-ended #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 17m

Juror No. 9's father suffered a brutal mugging around 40 years ago #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 10m

Prosecution addressing jurors 7, 9, 10 with general questions at the moment. #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 9m

SIDENOTE: My stomach just grumbled so loudly that everyone turned around and the judge looked up #mybad #hungrylikethewolf (LOL!)

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 7m

Jurors 9 & 10 sent to jurors room; Juror No. 7 now looking at witness list. Potential jurors sent to juror's lounge to get lunch #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 5m

Juror No. 7 "caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 3m

Juror No. 7 watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work"

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 56s

Juror No. 7 sent to juror's lounge; Juror No. 9 called into courtroom by judge/prosecution #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 43s

Juror No. 9 remembers Grant Hayes was a musician, coolers containing body parts found in Texas #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

Juror No. 9 is a daily newspaper reader, but doesn't remember much about Amanda Hayes other than she recently had a child #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 43s

Juror No. 9 recognized @wral's Amanda Lamb and Dr. Deborah Radisch's from potential witness list #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 1m

Juror No. 9 admits she heard news report Sunday about jury selection for this trial; saw picture of Amanda Hayes in newspaper #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

PREDICTION: Juror No. 10 will not be seated on the Amanda Hayes jury. TOO many personal issues; she knows A LOT about the case #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 2m

Juror No. 10 said she knows Grant Hayes was found guilty and pretty much everything else about his trial #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 3m

Juror No. 10 talks to her mom "a lot. She introduced me to the reports about Grant Hayes trial." #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 5m

Juror No. 9 sent back to juror's lounge; Juror No. 10 now at-bat. Final juror to be questioned by judge/prosecution in this round #ackerson

I agree with Bryan, 10 knows WAAYYY too much.

Adding more details from today 01/23/2014:

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased. UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA. Parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom. "Caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted. Watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work" (Prior juror defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: Female. ECU grad (nursing) and New York native. She works in neonatal intensive care; her husband of 31 years is a photographer. Served on a jury "13 or 14 years ago" in Wake County where someone was rear-ended. Her father suffered a brutal mugging around 40 years ago. A daily newspaper reader, but doesn't remember much about Amanda Hayes other than she recently had a child. Admits she heard news report Sunday about jury selection for this trial; saw picture of Amanda Hayes in newspaper. Remembers Grant Hayes was a musician, coolers containing body parts found in Texas. Recognized @wral's Amanda Lamb and Dr. Deborah Radisch's from potential witness list. (First juror excused defense peremptory challenge)

Juror No. 10: White female. Not aware of Grant Hayes being tried last year, never saw/heard of him or Amanda Hayes in any media. Daughter's fiancee "traveled in the same circles" as Grant Hayes. Has been married before and is currently in process of getting second divorce. Has four grown children; one daughter experienced domestic violence from a boyfriend. Daughter was kidnapped by ex-boyfriend, who was later shot and prosecuted. (No. 2 dismissed by the Judge. First juror dismissed defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

***Group question was whether they had extensively traveled. All answered yes.***

Hi Peeps checking in really quickly...DH had surgery can you all believe this rash of bad luck I've had...my goodness. OK! Did they pick the alternates or are we still doing alts after lunch? Thanks! I will try to check back for answer and thanks for ALL the updates!! I so appreciate them!

Hi Peeps checking in really quickly...DH had surgery can you all believe this rash of bad luck I've had...my goodness. OK! Did they pick the alternates or are we still doing alts after lunch? Thanks! I will try to check back for answer and thanks for ALL the updates!! I so appreciate them!

Still working on the first 12.

In my 12 yrs living in this area I've never been called for jury duty. In fact in all my life I've only gotten 1 summons for jury duty (in California) and only had to call in once and never come in.

But if I did get called in I would surely be dismissed for any high profile murder case since I've met and talked to several ADAs in the few I did follow. "Oh... I know you, and you, and Hi how ya doin'?"

Still working on the first 12.

Thank You Chelly; so want to hear Opening statements, I was hopeful for today...:fence:

K c you all real soon! Remember if you are feeling really ill; PLS GET A NASAL SWAB make sure you do NOT have H1N1. Please. If your kids are sick; watch them very carefully for signs of feeling better, then feeling 100 times worse, please watch temp, clammy skin, delusions, a feeling of "not feeling "right" "...malaise. Watch for shallow or trouble breathing. These were all of my symptoms and some others. Please be safe. :(

Today I was able to get dressed, drive my car, and help out DH who had surgery! I'm slowly SLowly getting back to myself. Hugs all.

I'm thinking opening statements either Mon or Tues next week.

Oh boy...

With just judge, prosecution & defense in courtroom, prosecution reveals they've received some jailhouse calls CD from Women's Prison ...

In my 12 yrs living in this area I've never been called for jury duty. In fact in all my life I've only gotten 1 summons for jury duty (in California) and only had to call in once and never come in.

But if I did get called in I would surely be dismissed for any high profile murder case since I've met and talked to several ADAs in the few I did follow. "Oh... I know you, and you, and Hi how ya doin'?"

Come on down here, you'll get a summons every year or two! :facepalm:

Oh boy...

Quote:
With just judge, prosecution & defense in courtroom, prosecution reveals they've received some jailhouse calls CD from Women's Prison ...

What's a "jailhouse call CD"??

Oh! A compact disc of recorded calls? Duh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14