GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge told 9 jurors earlier today that trial would start monday, 1/27 @ 9:30
Per @BCHanks

Have a feeling juror #10 who is being questioned now won't be accepted.

Defense will keep the new number 10, I think. Reason being, they want someone directly or indirectly affected by domestic violence and/or sociopathy. All the defense needs is 1 person with reasonable doubt. That's why they kept the nurse with the friend whose husband was a sociopath.

ETA: I don't know if the prosecution gets another peremptory, because I don't think they would want this juror.

Wow! Juror number 10 has an interesting backstory! If I was the defense, I would not be comfy with her. But I guess it could cut either way.

In 2006, Juror No. 10's daughter was kidnapped by ex-boyfriend, who was later shot and prosecuted #ackerson

Juror No. 10's daughter's fiancee "traveled in the same circles" as Grant Hayes #ackerson

Bryan Hanks ‏@BCHanks 20m
Juror No. 10 not aware of Grant Hayes being tried last year, never saw/heard of him or Amanda Hayes in any media #ackerson

uror No. 10 says daughter's fiancee may have played at same club or had dinner with Grant Hayes. "I can't remember the context" #ackerson

uror No. 10 says daughter's fiancee may have played at same club or had dinner with Grant Hayes. "I can't remember the context" #ackerson

Is the fiancee the same as the kidnapping boyfriend, I wonder?

9 and 10 dismissed. No way were they going to keep 10

Third dismissal of number 10.

Adding more details from today 01/23/2014:

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased. UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA. Parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom. "Caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted. Watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work" (Prior juror defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: Female. ECU grad (nursing) and New York native. She works in neonatal intensive care; her husband of 31 years is a photographer. Served on a jury "13 or 14 years ago" in Wake County where someone was rear-ended. Her father suffered a brutal mugging around 40 years ago. A daily newspaper reader, but doesn't remember much about Amanda Hayes other than she recently had a child. Admits she heard news report Sunday about jury selection for this trial; saw picture of Amanda Hayes in newspaper. Remembers Grant Hayes was a musician, coolers containing body parts found in Texas. Recognized @wral's Amanda Lamb and Dr. Deborah Radisch's from potential witness list. (First juror excused defense peremptory challenge)

Juror No. 10: (Dismissed a third time Dismissed by the Judge. First juror dismissed defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

***Group question was whether they had extensively traveled. All answered yes.***

Gotta go and take care of Momster business with the kids. I'll check back in later. :)

OT. I am trying to remember what I used to do when I had a real life.LOL

OT. I am trying to remember what I used to do when I had a real life.LOL

LOL! Feel free to copy and update the juror list if you are so inclined. I can only update the original post for 2 hours or something like that.

Juror voir dire is boring so you won't see much participation in threads until the actual trial gets going.

I think they need to re-number juror 10. lol

Juror No. 10 "I have a preconceived opinion about this case." Judge excuses him from jury duty. We'll get another prospective No. 10

I think this juror 10 will be dismissed as well.

ETA: LOL Chelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member