GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for Surfie's List:

Juror No. 9, Latino female (corrected from earlier), is a paralegal who helps those with immigration issues.

Juror No.10 White Female, is a Peace College Graduate and has been married for 4 months. Works at Quintiles and her parents were flight attendants now divorced,

Adding more details from today 01/23/2014:

Juror No. 1: White female. Exercises with a family law attorney. Parents got divorced when she lived in the Bahamas when she was 5.....and her mother lived in Scotland. She went to boarding school in England when she was 11. At 16 she moved to NC.

Juror No. 2: White male. Worked at a store Grant visited after the murder.

Juror No. 3: White male. Bruins fan. Was a snowmobile racer in the past.

Juror No. 4: Black female.

Juror No. 5: White female.

Juror No. 6: White male. Redskins and Hurricane fan.

Juror No. 7: White female, worked for state attorney general's office; however, J#7 said she can be unbiased. UNCW accounting grad, now works with children at YMCA. Parents divorced when she was 4. She lived with mom, her brother lived with mom. "Caught blurb on TV about" Ackerson murder; didn't know Grant Hayes was convicted. Watches ABC-11 in the morning; for weather and traffic. "I hear about murders, but I'm just trying to get ready for work" Mother is a construction lawyer; J#7: "I could hear her talking about it when I was little, but it was boring." (Prior juror defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 8: White female. Oncology nurse attached to Rex Hospital. Asked if she's ever met a pathological liar; she answers yes, husband of former coworker who served in Afghanistan. Testifies that friend who was married to pathological liar had 2 wives at the same time; "he was very charismatic ..." "He was just a homeboy from Tennessee." Juror No. 8 says friend's ex-husband concealed second marriage for 14 years. When she was younger, Juror No. 8 was a paralegal specializing in medical cases in Charleston, S.C

Juror No. 9: Latino female who is a paralegal who helps those with immigration issues. Doesn't "really look at news sites or TV." She looks at Internet daily on her Yahoo email page, doesn't watch TV crime dramas (Second juror excused. First juror excused defense peremptory challenge)

Juror No. 10: White female. Has NO knowledge of Grant or Amanda Hayes, Grant's trial or anything related to Laura Ackerson's death. Sister is a probation officer in Wake County; has one friend who is member of Raleigh PD, friend who quit RPD in 2010. Peace College graduate, has been married for 4 months; husband has been Raleigh firefighter for 12 years. Birth father gave up custody of her and her brother after divorce; her stepfather formally adopted them. Doesn't have cable TV; she predominately watches Netflix for entertainment. Ex-husband cheated on her and stole money from their joint bank accounts (Dismissed a third time Dismissed by the Judge. First juror dismissed defense peremptory challenge).

Juror No. 11: Black female. Admits she is a fan of "Murder She Wrote." Says she enjoys "Murder She Wrote" because she likes mysteries; says she can keep open mind in this trial. Read stories about Grant's case but mis-remembered some of the details. Divorced because her ex-husband had an affair for indeterminate time.

Juror No. 12: Middle-aged white female. She has two children - 17 y/o who lives with her, 14 y/o who lives with child's father Bachelors degree in psychology: however, "I must've missed the day we talked about sociopaths." She was threatened by anonymous female caller from a blocked number a few years ago; filed police report but suspect never found. (State dismissed with peremptory challenge first no. 12)

Amanda Hayes murder trial jury consists of six white females, three white males, two black females, one Latino female.

So what do you guys think about the makeup of the jury?

In my 12 yrs living in this area I've never been called for jury duty. In fact in all my life I've only gotten 1 summons for jury duty (in California) and only had to call in once and never come in.

But if I did get called in I would surely be dismissed for any high profile murder case since I've met and talked to several ADAs in the few I did follow. "Oh... I know you, and you, and Hi how ya doin'?"

Same here, Maddie -- I've been registered here for 30 years -- since I was at NC State. I've been called once -- had a business trip the same week -- wrote a letter was excused & told I'd be called again soon -- never was.

And my DH and Howard Cummings are old fishin' buddies, so I know him fairly well -- very nice guy, polite and modest, blushes when I compliment him -- so I would have to state that if HC didn't do it first if he were there, and I know Willoughby's wife (altho that won't matter for much longer, sadly). So I'll never make it to the jury box, either, till HC retires....

I guess this, and the visitor's benches are the closest you & I will ever get. Would our time here on WS be a "dismisser"?
icon6.gif
?

Thank You Chelly; so want to hear Opening statements, I was hopeful for today...:fence:

K c you all real soon! Remember if you are feeling really ill; PLS GET A NASAL SWAB make sure you do NOT have H1N1. Please. If your kids are sick; watch them very carefully for signs of feeling better, then feeling 100 times worse, please watch temp, clammy skin, delusions, a feeling of "not feeling "right" "...malaise. Watch for shallow or trouble breathing. These were all of my symptoms and some others. Please be safe. :(

Today I was able to get dressed, drive my car, and help out DH who had surgery! I'm slowly SLowly getting back to myself. Hugs all.

Bless your Cherry heart! Baby steps, Cherry, baby steps. Thanks for the advice and for the warning signs. That germ is nasty -- viruses are a b)&(% to kill -- those little suckers have been here a long, long time and they are smart and sneaky. As you know, little Sleuther. One day at a time, and think of yourself first for as long as it takes. Best wishes to your DH -- get well thoughts to both of you! ((hugs)) to you!!
icon7.gif

Same here, Maddie -- I've been registered here for 30 years -- since I was at NC State. I've been called once -- had a business trip the same week -- wrote a letter was excused & told I'd be called again soon -- never was.

And my DH and Howard Cummings are old fishin' buddies, so I know him fairly well -- very nice guy, polite and modest, blushes when I compliment him -- so I would have to state that if HC didn't do it first if he were there, and I know Willoughby's wife (altho that won't matter for much longer, sadly). So I'll never make it to the jury box, either, till HC retires....

I guess this, and the visitor's benches are the closest you & I will ever get. Would our time here on WS be a "dismisser"?
icon6.gif
?

That's right I remember you said you know HC from your hubby's hobby.

I don't think being a member on WS would be a disqualifier per se as long as you had not followed the case, were not reading about the case, hadn't formed an opinion, and you don't go on WS or any site at any time during the trial or any other news site or social media site where the case is being discussed. Basically you'd have to be on a complete blackout of all info related to that case or any other related case until you were no longer serving as a juror.

That said, having a personal connection to anyone in the DA's office would probably be the thing that would get you disqualified more than being a member of WS.

JTF got called for jury duty on one of Boz' cases (the baby killing one that just got overturned) and he disclosed that he couldn't be unbiased since he already formed an opinion and was pro-prosecution. Don't know if WS even came up during his voir dire.

So what do you guys think about the makeup of the jury?

I like it, lots of women.
I suppose the defense thinks that will help their client, but IMO it will help convict her. At least if they see the evidence we all saw in Grants trial, I can not see them having a problem giving her the same sentence he got.
(Especially the acid dumping, just out for a nice drive in the country to drop off some flesh dissolving liquid.....lalala....:facepalm:).

Makeup of the jury isn't as important as their ability to listen to evidence, pay attention, and follow the rules of the court. If they do that and can work together and deliberate in the end, then that's all that's needed.

Oh boy...

With just judge, prosecution & defense in courtroom, prosecution reveals they've received some jailhouse calls CD from Women's Prison ...
Hmmm -- Wonder if the CD was just sent to them "cold," or if they arranged to have calls copied on this CD? Do all calls get recorded -- even attorney/client calls? Weird. We need to know more.

Is it considered bad form to tell the judge you think he's handsome and reminds you a little bit of Paul Newman?

Not at all Mad, not at all. It's just that there will be a long line of women who want to tell him that. His gracious manner & refined southern accent don't hurt one bit. Yes, he is a pleasure to behold -- and there is some Paul in him, I agree!

Just occurred to me, are we sure this trial will be live streamed?
After all this I will lose my **** if I do not get to watch it live :scared:

Anyone know? WRAL will have it....right? right? RIGHT?!?!? :eek:kay:

TIA!

Yes of course it will be lived streamed. Just like the GH trial was. Not to worry.

Just occurred to me, are we sure this trial will be live streamed?
After all this I will lose my **** if I do not get to watch it live :scared:

Anyone know? WRAL will have it....right? right? RIGHT?!?!? :eek:kay:

TIA!

Nymeria, I emailed them previously, and they said they plan to stream it. ;)

Bless your Cherry heart! Baby steps, Cherry, baby steps. Thanks for the advice and for the warning signs. That germ is nasty -- viruses are a b)&(% to kill -- those little suckers have been here a long, long time and they are smart and sneaky. As you know, little Sleuther. One day at a time, and think of yourself first for as long as it takes. Best wishes to your DH -- get well thoughts to both of you! ((hugs)) to you!!
icon7.gif

Hugs it IS baby steps! I'm still going slow thank you so much Borndem! Hugs!

:blushing::loveyou:

is anyone in the courtroom today tweeting?

Nymeria, I emailed them previously, and they said they plan to stream it. ;)

Thanks for conformation Boodles.
I thought it would be, just was noticing in every article I was reading there was no mention of live streaming it. Plus WAT is not covering, which is usually where I check first for streamed trials.
I did see on TrialDivas FB that they would post links so I assume WRAL it will be (Like with GH).

Anyhoooooo....I am relieved and ready to settle in for openings on Monday:please:

is anyone in the courtroom today tweeting?

Not Wes Wolf-

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 1h

I'm in the office, but will be in Raleigh for opening arguments Monday morning. #ackerson

And Bryan Hanks does not seem to be either.

I think since today is just about the alternates no one is really covering it, not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli