GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like the lawyer wants to use the "battered women" syndrome defense, but common sense dictates that once she knew that she was married to a murderer, she should have snapped out of it and done the right thing. Even battered wives have to realize that if one wife is a victim of spousal homicide, it's only a matter of time before they could be next, that there is only one option if survival is the objective.

Not always. Theory is Stacie Peterson was about to rat her husband out for the murder of wife #2, but she didn't have time. She disappeared. Gone. Poof. Me thinks she had plenty of time to give him up, and chose not to. Sadly, I believe that led to her death.

Been thinking about this case and, hope to be wrong , but Amanda might just beat this one. If ONE juror buys the defense idea other being a poor sweetie pie victim of el psycho, she walks. Hope I am wrong.

Not always. Theory is Stacie Peterson was about to rat her husband out for the murder of wife #2, but she didn't have time. She disappeared. Gone. Poof. Me thinks she had plenty of time to give him up, and chose not to. Sadly, I believe that led to her death.

Been thinking about this case and, hope to be wrong , but Amanda might just beat this one. If ONE juror buys the defense idea other being a poor sweetie pie victim of el psycho, she walks. Hope I am wrong.

Stacy's situation is hard to compare, different than most. Drew Peterson was a cop. So give him up to who, exactly? His buddies? Only her word that he said it was murder vs. a coroner's report that said it wasn't. If she did give him up and nobody believed her, Drew would still likely find out about it. Then what? Would he try to kill her? I completely get why Stacy was afraid and I'm not even sure if she had told if it would have made any difference or if she would have just gotten the "bitter ex-wife" treatment.

The State is going to look at Amanda's actions in the days immediately before the murder (did she know and help plan this?) and the ones immediately after (did she fear for her safety and could she have done things differently, i.e. asked for help?)

I'm starting to understand this defense a little more now. They're really trying to thread a needle. Because the state is going to look at Amanda's actions in the days right before the murder (premeditiation?) and right after the murder (could she have avoided helping him? could she have gotten safely away and told somebody?)

The answer to the second question is yes. If she really took the kids to Chick-Fil-A while he did the dirty work, she could have instead driven straight to the police station. GH would have been caught red-handed.

So I think that's why in Amandaland, the story is that Laura tripped and he was calling EMS to help her. Because this explains why she went to Chik-Fil-A and not the police. It explains why she didn't think it was weird when Laura's car was still there when she got home - because she thought EMS had taken Laura to the hospital. It's like the defense's story was built around these questions they knew they had to account for.

I think it's an *almost* plausible story. I could see if she was in another room with the kids and GH hurt Laura and then put her in the bathtub and then told Amanda she was sick or something and EMS was coming and to take the kids to Chik-Fil-A. But the whole Laura was tripping, then Grant AND Laura were tripping....just not in any way believable. For the life of me I can't figure out why that part of the story is in there. Unless Amanda had a noticeable scratch that needed to be accounted for or something but I think we'd have heard about that in the first trial if so.

Thanks Jewels! I'm also in an online group of moms like me and Laura - moms who have to coparent with narcissists/sociopaths, etc. Quite a few of us are following this case.

Irish I am so glad you found a support group, sometimes that can be difficult but Oh so important. I am also glad you chose to go with Team Laura, no one deserves to be brutality murdered.

So I think that's why in Amandaland, the story is that Laura tripped and he was calling EMS to help her. Because this explains why she went to Chik-Fil-A and not the police. It explains why she didn't think it was weird when Laura's car was still there when she got home - because she thought EMS had taken Laura to the hospital. It's like the defense's story was built around these questions they knew they had to account for.

^^This. They started with the ending, based on all the evidence and testimony from GH's trial, and then backed into her version. Did you notice Gaskins' face during his opening? He was straining to remember and articulate the very fragile and precise series of events. It didn't just roll off his tongue, IMO, because it was implausible and illogical. Kind of like Jodi Arias' 3rd version of events: it had to be "just so" or else it wouldn't fit the evidence.

I think the jury will see right through all of this, starting with the "agreement document" found in the kitchen. This is the beginning premise, that Laura was negotiating with GH. After the prosecution shows all the evidence, I don't think any juror will believe that Laura was negotiating. She had his number. IMO, that document is a red herring, and the plausibility of everything else that supposedly follows is even more ridiculous.

"Laura's hurt, so I put her in the bathroom, so take the kids and vamoose while I call EMS..." AH returns, puts the kids to bed, then comes out and says, "Where's Laura?" to which he says, "oh she left." Then, "Hey, although we're moving to Kinston this weekend, let's do an impromptu trip to Texas so you can see your sister because your mother died a month ago. And let's take the newborn, the two boys, a U-Haul and some furniture while we're at it. But first, let me scrub down this bathroom and bleach the apartment, take down the shower curtain, dispose of everything in the bathroom, vacuum with a borrowed vacuum cleaner, shop for a saw, coolers and duffel bags, sell my Macbook and post the LR furniture for sale on Craigslist."

And I'm still curious how a 5'9" tall woman can weigh 130 and be rail thin one month after delivering a baby. I still think some sort of substance abuse was going on with AH.

Oh, and g'morning, ya'll! :seeya:

Good morning everybody! Is there court today?

Yes, the seal is up on the livestream link above. We begin with Sha this morning. She's a pivotal witness, here, IMO. No telling the cross strategy with her. It's going to be very interesting.

Good Morning WS Friends!

Looking forward to a full day in court!

I believe start time today is 10 est.

Yes, the seal is up on the livestream link above. We begin with Sha this morning. She's a pivotal witness, here, IMO. No telling the cross strategy with her. It's going to be very interesting.

I'm curious whether Sha is:
A. Hoping to help her mother
B. Hoping to hurt her mother
C. Letting the chips fall where they may

I had been thinking all along that she was her mother's biggest ally. Now not so sure.

Good Morning!! It's Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014.

I just checked WRAL Closings list & Wake Co. Courts still posts a 10:00amEST start, so get ready, peeps. Weather report says all major routes are clear -- no "bad" blocks or accidents so far.

Here's WRAL's live stream link:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/13331969/

^^This. They started with the ending, based on all the evidence and testimony from GH's trial, and then backed into her version. Did you notice Gaskins' face during his opening? He was straining to remember and articulate the very fragile and precise series of events. It didn't just roll off his tongue, IMO, because it was implausible and illogical. Kind of like Jodi Arias' 3rd version of events: it had to be "just so" or else it wouldn't fit the evidence.

I think the jury will see right through all of this, starting with the "agreement document" found in the kitchen. This is the beginning premise, that Laura was negotiating with GH. After the prosecution shows all the evidence, I don't think any juror will believe that Laura was negotiating. She had his number. IMO, that document is a red herring, and the plausibility of everything else that supposedly follows is even more ridiculous.

"Laura's hurt, so I put her in the bathroom, so take the kids and vamoose while I call EMS..." AH returns, puts the kids to bed, then comes out and says, "Where's Laura?" to which he says, "oh she left." Then, "Hey, although we're moving to Kinston this weekend, let's do an impromptu trip to Texas so you can see your sister because your mother died a month ago. And let's take the newborn, the two boys, a U-Haul and some furniture while we're at it. But first, let me scrub down this bathroom and bleach the apartment, take down the shower curtain, dispose of everything in the bathroom, vacuum with a borrowed vacuum cleaner, shop for a saw, coolers and duffel bags, sell my Macbook and post the LR furniture for sale on Craigslist."

And I'm still curious how a 5'9" tall woman can weigh 130 and be rail thin one month after delivering a baby. I still think some sort of substance abuse was going on with AH.

Oh, and g'morning, ya'll! :seeya:
This is GREAT! I hope PT sees this and uses it for closing arguments. This makes clear how fantasyland the DT's case is.

I'm curious whether Sha is:
A. Hoping to help her mother
B. Hoping to hurt her mother
C. Letting the chips fall where they may

I had been thinking all along that she was her mother's biggest ally. Now not so sure.

I'm curious too. It seems that Sha was sometimes a "thorn" in Amanda's side when she was little when it came to Amanda's lifestyle/men as evidenced by Sha moving back and forth between Amanda and her dad. Amanda's mother's obit is interesting in that she was very similar in behavior, moving here, there, married multiple times, etc.

I have a feeling it could be C. From her testimony on Tuesday, it sounded like Amanda dragged her hither, thither, and yon, depending on what career she was pursuing at the moment.

Sha also mentioned that she told her mother that she wanted to go to school in New York and that was the reason they moved back from the VI. However, she later testified as to a reason Amanda wanted to move back. Does anyone remember what the reason was?

I had to put my almost-14-year-old cat to sleep yesterday and didn't have a chance to do a re-run of the testimony yesterday.

I think that since the court is on a 1 hour delay it won't start until 10:30, since they usually start at 9:30. I could be wrong but that is my take!

To me Sha looks thoroughly pizzed at having to be there in any way, shape, or form. She looked similarly during GH's trial. She's probably a "let the chips fall where they may" type of gal. She barely acknowledged her mother when she was asked to point her out in the courtroom. Not a look of endearment there.

I suspect Sha blames GH more but is livid at her mother for getting involved with such a loser in the first place and ruining the lives of 3 young children forever.

I found her to be devoid of emotion; iow a bit flatline w no affect that disturbed me. I hv no clue whether she loves her mom; hates her mom; wants to help or hinder. And I find that odd as well. JMO

Sorry to hear about your cat Carolina :( mine are like my kids that never grew up.

Anybody else see the courtroom and everyone in it but NO SOUND?

I have a feeling it could be C. From her testimony on Tuesday, it sounded like Amanda dragged her hither, thither, and yon, depending on what career she was pursuing at the moment.

Sha also mentioned that she told her mother that she wanted to go to school in New York and that was the reason they moved back from the VI. However, she later testified as to a reason Amanda wanted to move back. Does anyone remember what the reason was?

I had to put my almost-14-year-old cat to sleep yesterday and didn't have a chance to do a re-run of the testimony yesterday.

So sorry to hear about your kitty-cat, C'Moon. It's both good & bad news that we outlive our pets.
icon9.gif

Oh, big hug!!! So sorry for your loss...:tears:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member