GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have forgotten why AH and GH weren't prosecuted together at trial. Can someone remind me? :blushing:
Thanks.

I have forgotten why AH and GH weren't prosecuted together at trial. Can someone remind me? :blushing:
Thanks.

Grant and his lawyer requested it-

Raleigh, N.C. — A Superior Court judge in Wake County ordered separate trials Monday for a married couple charged with first-degree murder in the July 2011 death of a Kinston woman.

Grant Hayes, 33, and Amanda Hayes, 41, were set to go to trial together next month in the death of his ex-girlfriend, Laura Jean Ackerson, but Judge Donald Stephens ruled in favor of a motion from Grant Hayes' attorney to sever the joint trial.

More explanation-
http://www.wral.com/judge-orders-separate-murder-trials-for-raleigh-couple/12367216/

ETA- Judge Stephens (Oh how I will miss him) seems to have had the smarts to separate them...."I know that we can get this right by trying them one at a time," he said. "I have serious questions as to whether I can do it under this situation if we try them at the same time."

Trial Diva Sharee™ ‏@TrialDivasS 1h

Jury selection in #AmandaHayes looks like it will take at least 2 days due to the extensive media coverage of it

CC ‏@courtchatter 1h

#AmandaHayes defense wants jurors to know that Grant Hayes was found guilty of 1st degree murder

CC ‏@courtchatter 1h

Judge tells potential jurors to expect a 4 week trial in #amandahayes.

Hi Cherry :seeya:

I haven't heard of anyone, but I haven't looked either. I will take a look?

This thread got moved right before my eyes. :scared:

Thanks, I've looked around a bit; they have a lot of closings in NC...so am not sure this will even start today. Was hoping for a twitter update or something.

Hopefully it will start this week. I think that she is just as guilty as her husband. And crazy like a fox. It's her eyes, they freak me out.

Raleigh, N.C. — A Superior Court judge in Wake County ordered separate trials Monday for a married couple charged with first-degree murder in the July 2011 death of a Kinston woman.

Grant Hayes, 33, and Amanda Hayes, 41, were set to go to trial together next month in the death of his ex-girlfriend, Laura Jean Ackerson, but Judge Donald Stephens ruled in favor of a motion from Grant Hayes' attorney to sever the joint trial.

More explanation-
http://www.wral.com/judge-orders-separate-murder-trials-for-raleigh-couple/12367216/

ETA- Judge Stephens (Oh how I will miss him) seems to have had the smarts to separate them...."I know that we can get this right by trying them one at a time," he said. "I have serious questions as to whether I can do it under this situation if we try them at the same time."

OK. It was Judge Stephens ruling. Thanks Nymeria. I can't thank you enough for digging this up for me.

CC ‏@courtchatter 1h

#AmandaHayes defense wants jurors to know that Grant Hayes was found guilty of 1st degree murder

CC ‏@courtchatter 1h

Judge tells potential jurors to expect a 4 week trial in #amandahayes.

BBM

:sigh:

Don't I recall Judge Stephens saying that two people can be found guilty of (the same) first degree murder?

Or was it that the prosecutor(s) mentioned that two people can be found guilty of (the same) first degree murder?

Somebody in GH's trial said it. I remember being so giddy over that statement......I'll have to do some digging tonight.

Thanks, I've looked around a bit; they have a lot of closings in NC...so am not sure this will even start today. Was hoping for a twitter update or something.

Hopefully it will start this week. I think that she is just as guilty as her husband. And crazy like a fox. It's her eyes, they freak me out.

Looks like Surfie Texas found us a Twitter person Yay!

If you are like me Cherry I am so excited about a live trial finally. It seems like a long time since we had one to watch.

I am so tired of JA not sure I want to see that one, even if it is broadcast or not.

Lets get this show on the road!

Just for a timing update:

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 41m
...and that's it for the first steps in jury selection. First group of jurors hits the box around 2:30 p.m. #ackerson

Both of them are guilty as sin, but I must confess, I almost fell asleep listening to the GH interview so their were things I never took much notice of. Now, does anyone feel like their might be truth that AH sister helped all along? Something about her, that made me think she was lying the whole time. She knew more...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk now Free
I agree regarding KB. I also found it interesting that GH tried to make it out that KB had the same involvement as he did. ie nothing to do with the murder, but helped to dispose of the body.

I don't believe he had nothing to do with the murder, I fully believe it was premeditated. I do however believe him in what he says KB's involvement in the case was. She was definitely holding things back on the stand and I cant quite believe why charges were never brought on her.

More explanation-

Ya, Judge Stephens was excellent. Wish he was doing this trial too. Ah well.

Like all of you, been really looking forward to this trial and final justice for Laura.

Looks like Surfie Texas found us a Twitter person Yay!

If you are like me Cherry I am so excited about a live trial finally. It seems like a long time since we had one to watch.

I am so tired of JA not sure I want to see that one, even if it is broadcast or not.

Lets get this show on the road!

Yes I'm like y'all lol! It does seem like months since we've had a trial to follow! Matter of fact GH may be the last trial I followed live. Im still home trying to get strong, H1N1 kicked my *advertiser censored*. It was so hard to be in hosp and know ppl were dying from this virus. I was so scared. So now I have to concentrate on eating, and getting my strength back. I'm still not "right" though...just very weak.

I am so glad there was no delay in this case...there was hoopla about a bio hazard suit that was found in a new search of property...but the judge refused to delay the case. I don't know what the defense thought they were going to "get" from this bio hazard suit...I don't think it proves anything...for either side.

I sure wish we had national channels to watch live trials...there are so many that happen DAILY in the US...I've gone to court rooms since I was a kid..my dad used to take me and we would listen to cases. I think he was trying to influence me to be an Atty. lol. :)

Thanks everyone for the twitter links etc :) I'm hoping they will have the jury seated by tom; Wolfe tweeted 2 day process for sure...
C u all later!

OK. It was Judge Stephens ruling. Thanks Nymeria. I can't thank you enough for digging this up for me.

Happy to be able to contribute for once, lol!

I need to thank NCEast for alerting me to this case, while we were watching Levi Chavez this one got mentioned and it was nice to "hang" with a lot of the same group to follow it. Not that we ALL were not here for Killer Arias, but the group for that was so large I could not tell you who all was regularly there for the day :scared:
Anyway, glad we are all getting back in the saddle. MacNeill seemed like it was eons ago, I NEED some trial!

Thank You Surfie for the twitter updates, they are great.
I did see one and wondered exactly what it means....will we be able to watch some of this stuff later? -

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 56m

4-5 p.m. coverage will be on web later on. #ackerson

Hi, Gang -- This from the local newspaper, The News & Observer:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01...anda-hayes-begins.html#emlnl=Crime_and_Safety

I'm hoping we'll get a count of how many, if any, jurors have been seated today after 5:00 or so...

And I think I hear the sound of a roller-coaster coming to seat us all for the trial...

images

Happy to be able to contribute for once, lol!

I need to thank NCEast for alerting me to this case, while we were watching Levi Chavez this one got mentioned and it was nice to "hang" with a lot of the same group to follow it. Not that we ALL were not here for Killer Arias, but the group for that was so large I could not tell you who all was regularly there for the day :scared:
Anyway, glad we are all getting back in the saddle. MacNeill seemed like it was eons ago, I NEED some trial!

Thank You Surfie for the twitter updates, they are great.
I did see one and wondered exactly what it means....will we be able to watch some of this stuff later? -

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 56m

4-5 p.m. coverage will be on web later on. #ackerson

He tweeted this just before that tweet:

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 2h
Tech update: Tablet nearly dead. Switching to phones for afternoon #Ackerson coverage. Leaving early for early deadline.

I think the one you posted just meant that although he was leaving the courthouse early there would be jury selection updates on their 4-5 p.m. coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member