Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Gang -- This from the local newspaper, The News & Observer:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01...anda-hayes-begins.html#emlnl=Crime_and_Safety

I'm hoping we'll get a count of how many, if any, jurors have been seated today after 5:00 or so...

And I think I hear the sound of a roller-coaster coming to seat us all for the trial...

images

WOOT!
:rollercoaster::rollercoaster::rollercoaster:

He tweeted this just before that tweet:

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 2h
Tech update: Tablet nearly dead. Switching to phones for afternoon #Ackerson coverage. Leaving early for early deadline.

I think the one you posted just meant that although he was leaving the courthouse early there would be jury selection updates on their 4-5 p.m. coverage.

Awww dang, thanks Geevee.
I thought *maybe* we were going to get some coverage to watch :tantrum:

Happy to be able to contribute for once, lol!

I need to thank NCEast for alerting me to this case, while we were watching Levi Chavez this one got mentioned and it was nice to "hang" with a lot of the same group to follow it. Not that we ALL were not here for Killer Arias, but the group for that was so large I could not tell you who all was regularly there for the day :scared:
Anyway, glad we are all getting back in the saddle. MacNeill seemed like it was eons ago, I NEED some trial!

Thank You Surfie for the twitter updates, they are great.
I did see one and wondered exactly what it means....will we be able to watch some of this stuff later? -

Wes Wolfe ‏@WolfeReports 56m

4-5 p.m. coverage will be on web later on. #ackerson

BBM. I wondered the same thing, so I looked him up. If it is the same guy, he is also a musician in Raleigh. I wonder if he knew GH? Weird. :rolleyes:

I wondered as well; I think he meant updates about what took place in jury selection today. It sounds as if the process may take a few days...

Interesting read

TWO FLORIDA MURDER TRIALS FOR THE KILLING OF TERRY KING.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20020910.html

Whew, SurfieTX, that's a tuff one! IANAL, but the tactics of the Prosecutor didn't sound quite copacetic to me. Seems to me, all the DT would need to do would be to put into evidence the PT's theory about the brothers vs. the man, and it would/should make for plenty of doubt at the 2nd trial.

That's why Stephens beat the term, "acting in concert," into the jurors' heads at both the Jason Young trial (due to the two different shoe sizes seen in the bloody footprints in the murder room, and there being no second person charged), and at the 1st Hayes trial. Acting in concert means working toward a common goal together, and from what I read in the article cited, although the three had a common goal, their actions weren't coordinated, going by what the Prosecutor laid out for the jurors and all during the trial.

Sounds like the PT needs to emphasize the "togetherness" of the Hayes couple and to leave no doubt that they planned it together and that they aided & abetted each other from start to finish -- which, IMO, is exactly what they did.
icon8.gif

I'm a little rusty on the exact details from Grant's trial, but I think Amanda will not get out of this. They have the surveillance vid of her taking the kids to the fast food place (the time Grant was dropping off Laura's car or ?). They have the picture of her dumping or getting rid of the acid and finally reining in Laura's sister to come and visit with whatever. AND, the times that Grant was out shopping were in the middle of the damned night. She had an infant. Add into that the Craigslist sales...yeah, she's toast IMVHO.

Hi again, Gang -- Just thought I'd post this link if any of you want to hear the 5:00pm/est WRAL news. This lasts an hour - with a fair amount of local news -- especially today about the weather -- and to answer an earlier question, our wimpy area here does not get along well with over an inch or two of snow. It's because we don't have a big network of snowplows since we don't have a significant amount of snow (over 5 inches or so) except once in about every 10 years or so. The public school system is very, very careful about busing the children since Wake County has a lot of rural areas -- by far, the largest number of snow delays or it-might-snow delays is by the schools and by the pre-school/day-care businesses.

At the current time, we here in Raleigh have NO snow, but the temp is dropping fast and the skies look full of precip. It's currently 44 degrees, heading for "19 degrees and snow."

There is the "official" 6:00pm news which lasts 30 minutes. I would think they will devote 2-3 minutes to let us know how the jury selection is going in both broadcasts....

If the same link as the one does not get you there at 6:00pm, I'll post it.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/

And Amanda KNEW that her daughter S loved the boys and her sister. Amanda had plenty of time to sound the bells of danger to either her daughter or her sister to let them know that he murdered Laura and needed out.

I have a little bit of sympathy for Amanda in that she lost her mom and had a new baby all within a week. That would be hard for a normal person in a normal marriage.

Amanda Lamb just gave some info about the trial today:

Due to the Grant Hayes trial last year, a lot of potential jurors know about the case -- the 1st pool has 116 jurors on it. She did not say anything about any jurors being selected, so this may have been an earlier recording before court was over, or there were none selected. Who knoze.

There was a short cut of film in the court room where our Favorite Judge Stephens was asking AH a couple of things & making sure she was aware and okay about it. I could not hear it well, so maybe I'll get a 2nd chance at 6:00. My main point was to show that it looks like the good Judge Stephens will be presiding. Yay!!!!!:loveyou:!!!!!!! Just like we thought!

ETA: Amanda Lamb did say that the lawyers thought selection would last about a week. :-(

Trial Diva Jen ™ ‏@TrialDivasJ 16m
#AmandaHayes has concluded for the evening and will start again tomorrow morning for more jury selection

Oh my, am thrilled to hear we may have Judge Stephens, I thought he was such a wonderful, in control of his court, brilliant and respected judge. I could really "hear" every word he said.
I did errands today, that would be aisle hopping at World Market, tossing munchies into a basket. I plan to bash in the scale tomorrow....not with a nerf baseball bat.

WOW one week lol I guess they have to get it right. Kinda wish they would just start the trial, pre selecting the jury before hand. Need a trial dammit...ha

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk now Free

Amanda Lamb just gave some info about the trial today:

Due to the Grant Hayes trial last year, a lot of potential jurors know about the case -- the 1st pool has 116 jurors on it. She did not say anything about any jurors being selected, so this may have been an earlier recording before court was over, or there were none selected. Who knoze.

There was a short cut of film in the court room where our Favorite Judge Stephens was asking AH a couple of things & making sure she was aware and okay about it. I could not hear it well, so maybe I'll get a 2nd chance at 6:00. My main point was to show that it looks like the good Judge Stephens will be presiding. Yay!!!!!:loveyou:!!!!!!! Just like we thought!

ETA: Amanda Lamb did say that the lawyers thought selection would last about a week. :-(

:waitasec: I thought he was retiring?

But since it appears he hasn't- :highfive::martini::aktion::jumping::dance::woot:

Love me some Judge Stephens!

Oh my, am thrilled to hear we may have Judge Stephens, I thought he was such a wonderful, in control of his court, brilliant and respected judge. I could really "hear" every word he said.
I did errands today, that would be aisle hopping at World Market, tossing munchies into a basket. I plan to bash in the scale tomorrow....not with a nerf baseball bat.

You mean like this:

images

icon10.gif

I'm a little rusty on the exact details from Grant's trial, but I think Amanda will not get out of this. They have the surveillance vid of her taking the kids to the fast food place (the time Grant was dropping off Laura's car or ?). They have the picture of her dumping or getting rid of the acid and finally reining in Laura's sister to come and visit with whatever. AND, the times that Grant was out shopping were in the middle of the damned night. She had an infant. Add into that the Craigslist sales...yeah, she's toast IMVHO.

And Amanda KNEW that her daughter S loved the boys and her sister. Amanda had plenty of time to sound the bells of danger to either her daughter or her sister to let them know that he murdered Laura and needed out.

I have a little bit of sympathy for Amanda in that she lost her mom and had a new baby all within a week. That would be hard for a normal person in a normal marriage.
ITA with you that Amanda will NOT get out of this, and IMO I'm quite confident she will get convicted on the murder.. IMO there is absolutely NO WAY that she'll skate off with the accessory after the fact charge.(tho, I firmly believe this is exactly what she and her defense are hoping for with that being recently added by the prosecution).

TBH my opinion is that Amanda did in fact do the actual hands-on murder. Now, does that in any way whatsoever mean that Grant is somehow less responsible, or culpable in the murder?.. No!.. IMO it is Grant who is the sole reason that Laura is dead. IMO, I believe that Grant very much manipulated Amanda in ways that I'm not sure she even realizes or recognizes to this very day. Just as you mentioned above, Amanda had not only just given birth mere weeks prior, but had also lost her mother..all within days of each other, and all immediately preceding Laura's murder.. IMO, those factors PLAY A HUGE PART in Grant having used this extremely unstable, emotionally exhaustive time for his wife, Amanda..

IMO, he took full advantage of the situation and IMO, he manipulated and fed into her resentment toward Laura.. IMO, he literally fed into it in such a way that made Amanda's feelings about/toward Laura take on a whole new life, so to speak..IMO, after that last review by the therapist in the custody case stating, that Grant needed further psychiatric testing due to his obvious preoccupation and inappropriate anger towards Laura.. IMO, he knew that he was losing control(and let's face it, we all know that is exactly what the entire custody was about to Grant).. IMO, at that point he cranked up the manipulation of Amanda's feelings toward Laura..and IMO, I believe that he manipulated Amanda into not just resenting and hating Laura for all the problems she felt she was causing Amanda&Grant.. IMO, I honestly believe the key issue that Grant successfully used to push Amanda over the edge was convincing her that not only was Laura going to "win" in the custody battle of the boys.. But more importantly that she was in turn going to get Lilly taken away from Amanda&Grant.. I honestly believe that is exactly the angle that Grant used, and it was exactly the issue that tipped Amanda right on over that edge that she was already so very close to due to the exorbitant amount of emotional duress and exhaustion she was experiencing at that time.

My apologies for this turning into one of my ridiculously long posts:blushing:..but I do honestly believe that there are even some possible indicators that this indeed is what/how Grant manipulated Amanda into actually committing the murder, which IMO, just further shows him to be a true monster without a conscience..

Think about what Grant just said in his recent interview.. IMO, he truly believes he's just so damn smart, but in reality his words actually give away the truth..and as we've all come to know in following these type cases, liars ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS give kernels of TRUTH mixed in with their largely false statements and claims.. IMO, so, too did Grant give those kernels of truth in his recent version of events.

Grant, himself, says that the entire cause for the supposed physical altercation between Amanda and Laura that led to her death..the entire cause was that LAURA TOLD AMANDA SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE LILLY FROM HER.. Think about it.. Where would this crazy notion even originate from?.. IMO, it originated from Grant, and it is Grant that had fed this notion to Amanda because he KNEW that it was the angle he could use to truly push an already extremely, emotionally fragile Amanda over the edge to the point that she ACTED on the fear he had instilled in her that Laura was going to take Lilly.

OK..So, I'm cutting myself off here..:blushing:
I have much more to say on the issue of Grant's unconscionable manipulation, but as I said I'm forcing myself to stop here..for now...

Great post, SmoothOp! Your theory makes a ton of sense. Those of us who have been through the just-had-a-baby whirlwind should remember how some of those post-partum days were. (I simply could not wait for my DH to leave for work so that I could just stay at home & cry my gutz out. Everything was really fine, but I just wanted to cry -- tired, tired, tired and all the rest. I recovered!

And yes, SO, AH had just lost her mother, and AH was no young mother herself, and with 2 babies already. A tuff spot for her. Very vulnerable and ripe for that snake, Grant, to weave his web of fear & loathing of poor Laura. You set a very believable scenario!

And of course, no reason to apologize to us, SO -- it was a good one (says borndem who is never brief!).

Smooth,
Everything you are saying could very well be true. It is a good theory.

The only thing I have doubts about is that Amanda was vulnerable. I am not saying she could not have been, just that to me she does not seem like that kind of woman.
Hopefully this trial will enlighten us more about her and her past. I have a feeling a lot of what went on in her life before Grant could be very telling.

I absolutely agree with you, Nymeria, regarding Amanda not being a weak, meek, easily manipulated individual.. IMO, I do not see Amanda in that light, but rather that she was hard-nosed, jealous, and already had many reasons she resented Laura on many levels.. I do not have sympathy for Amanda, nor do I believe she is a "victim" in this case due to my belief that her own jealousy and hatred for Laura is still the basis for which Grant built onto with his manipulations..

IMO, yes, I do believe that the factors in Amanda's recent life did tho leave her in a vulnerable place.. IMO even mean, hardened people are affected by physical and emotional stress, and IMO those specific stressors that were present for Amanda at that time IMO, did in fact leave her vulnerable to the manipulation that Grant used..her innocent, new born baby..

So, IMO, while I very much agree with you on the type of person that Amanda Hayes is.. I also do believe that the emotional and physical stressors that she was experiencing at that time left her vulnerable to the specific manipulations that her husband used.. Jmo.

Good points again, Smooth. And I, too, am not giving her a pass even tho her stress level was prolly way out there... and I think under "normal" conditions, AH prolly could be hard & tuff as nails.

The only thing that I would add, is that the master-manipulator GH, certainly knew which buttons on AH to push -- you named some big ones -- and drilling it into AH every chance he got was like a water-torture to her, just building & building & building up...

An evil man with an evil plan...
icon8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members