GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at the "she didn't know Laura was dead until after arriving in Texas" defense. And at the peach frock she wore yesterday.

And I wonder what effect the weather will have on the trial today. Snow expected for this afternoon/evening, and we don't handle snow well here.

No, we don't have the equipment to snow-plow in any type of massive way -- we just don't have enuff.

Anyway it's 11:37 am and where I am (west Raleigh) we don't have a flake yet. We'll see what happens if that changes. I feel sure His Honor will not take a chance with the jurors getting "stranded" in downtown Raleigh.
icon9.gif

Are you on WRAL. If so, it will repeatedly ask you if you are still watching and you have to click on it or the feed will stop.

Thanks whoanellie I am on wild@ but maybe I just need to refresh. Perfect timing, court is on break.

Dangit my phone was going nuts.....what did I just miss here?

I keep losing connection with the live feed... is the camera person ready for a break or something?

Me too... and it's not the typical "continue watching" either. It completely cuts the audio out. Going to jump on another feed, this one is horrible.

I thought so too... he was convicted of a federal crime in 2009. I didn't think he was even allowed to still practice. :facepalm:

I've posted an N&O link below -- he was arrested for "structuring" cash deposits into his account -- to try to avoid having to explain the source of the the money -- Federal Regulations -- I am familiar with this regulation since I was a programmer at a Raleigh bank for 30 years, and I supported a system that had to do with finding cash deposits/withdrawals that needed such documentation, and with determining whether structuring (making deposits/withdrawals smaller than the daily $10,000 amount which requires that info be recorded and reported to the Federal authorities). Most banks have systems that can trace cash deposits/withdrawals totaling more than 10K in one day, even if in several lesser deposit/withdrawal amounts. This is what "got" him; apparently JG had a number of clients who paid him in cash...

The N&O article explains this better than I
icon7.gif

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/10/18/146633/lawyers-career-ends-in-crime.html

Not sure how this is going to play to the jury.
Will they think it was all Grants influence on Amanda, or will they make her be a big girl and take responsibility for treating Laura like dirt before, during and after her death. I hope it is the latter.

ETA-Side note, *giggling* a bit at the NC weather panic. I live in lower Michigan and we have set a record for snow already this January, not to mention this flippin arctic vortex carp. At the moment it is -3 and feels like -17 with the wind chill!
But I get it, if you are not used to it, any amount of snow can wreak havoc. Wish I was not so used to it :facepalm: ....moving to Fiji is sounding better and better....I could be a beach bum, why not!?

Take me with ya when you go, my Michigan ( :snowman::snowflake::coldout: ) friend!!

Prosecutors spent the morning trying to show that Amanda Hayes had a testy relationship with the mother of her husband's two oldest children.

~~

Tuesday morning, an SBI agent who searched Ackerson's apartment read from Ackerson's diary about friction with Amanda.

"She scolded me in front of my children. I found it off-putting. I told her I was concerned about her frequent negative emotional outbursts towards me in front of Grant IV and Gentel," read SBI Agent Lolita Chapman.

But on cross-examination by Amanda's attorney Johnny Gaskins, Chapman was also asked to read some of the notes in which Ackerson praised some of Amanda's interaction with the boys.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?s...065&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've posted an N&O link below -- he was arrested for "structuring" cash deposits into his account -- to try to avoid having to explain the source of the the money -- Federal Regulations -- I am familiar with this regulation since I was a programmer at a Raleigh bank for 30 years, and I supported a system that had to do with finding cash deposits/withdrawals that needed such documentation, and with determining whether structuring (making deposits/withdrawals smaller than the daily $10,000 amount which requires that info be recorded and reported to the Federal authorities). Most banks have systems that can trace cash deposits/withdrawals totaling more than 10K in one day, even if in several lesser deposit/withdrawal amounts. This is what "got" him; apparently JG had a number of clients who paid him in cash...

The N&O article explains this better than I
icon7.gif

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/10/18/146633/lawyers-career-ends-in-crime.html

:doh: This is nuts, how is he still working the courts?
Going to have to google him later today, this is interesting.

Born, I will let you know when I can no longer take it and pick you up on my way to Fiji :seeya:

Pro-Democracy Esq. ‏@wycam1 5m

Ackerson had a very diverse, eclectic & cool group of friends. It's a testament to her character. Way too good for that loser. #AmandaHayes

It never fails to amaze me how emotional her friends are on the stand. I understand how horrible her death was and would be to anyone who loved her, but Laura seems to have really made an impact on the people around her in a very good way.
She must have been a really sweet person.

Aren't they going to lunch, or is my feed just wacky? It cuts out randomly, so I may be way behind.

I'm finding it strange that I don't hear any "objections". Is that because this testimony is rather "matter of fact", or is the defense atty not really listening for any potential damning testimony?

Aren't they going to lunch, or is my feed just wacky? It cuts out randomly, so I may be way behind.

Not yet. If I remember correctly he usually sends them to lunch around 1... My feeds were wacky on WRAL but find on Wild

CC ‏@courtchatter 7m

Jurors are taking a lot of notes. One woman leaning forwarding, very attentive. #AmandaHayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member