NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw this:

[h=1]Focus changed in case of Raleigh woman's stabbing death
[/h] Posted 5:20 p.m. today
Updated 7:13 p.m. today

Editor's note: An earlier report stating the defense conceded cough medicine wasn't involved was incorrect.
RALEIGH, N.C. — The focus of the murder case involving a Raleigh woman's stabbing last fall has shifted, a prosecutor said Thursday.
[...]
Wake County Deputy Assistant District Attorney Howard Cummings said during a status hearing on the case Thursday that a state lab is testing a white, powdery substance found in the home that night. That has delayed discovery in the case, he said.

http://www.wral.com/focus-changed-in-case-of-raleigh-woman-s-stabbing-death/17467100/?ssid=83811418

So it looks like he was in court yesterday.

Focus changed in case of Raleigh woman's stabbing death
http://www.wral.com/focus-changed-in-case-of-raleigh-woman-s-stabbing-death/17467100/

RALEIGH, N.C. — The focus of the murder case involving a Raleigh woman's stabbing last fall has shifted, a prosecutor said Thursday.
[.....]
Wake County Deputy Assistant District Attorney Howard Cummings said during a status hearing on the case Thursday that a state lab is testing a white, powdery substance found in the home that night. That has delayed discovery in the case, he said.

The defense has hired mental health experts to examine Matthew Phelps, Cummings said, adding that he also wants to review the results of the mental health evaluation.

Oops - just saw your post on the same article! :doh:

Wondering what the white powdery substance was? Cocaine?

No idea, Niner! :dunno: -- The article didn't mention the substance other that that one sentence -- we'll prolly have to wait till the trial to find out what the test(s) revealed.
------------------------------------------------
And, sports fans, just checked the Wake Co Courts docket & Mr. Matthew Phelps is not listed.
------------------------------------------------

Strange that you didn't find him on the docket for April 5th when he appeared in court?

:dunno:

Strange that you didn't find him on the docket for April 5th when he appeared in court?

:dunno:

I don't know why that particular website just showed that arraignment -- the link below from the N&O was shown on September 5, 2017 -- his arraignment.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...171349327.html

Same video, but for some reason, "Lady Justice, 2188" chose to post it on Youtube just recently.

The arraignment is one of the first things that we saw in this case those many months ago.

Odd, huh? :)

I just checked the Wake Co Courts docket -- Matthew Phelps is not listed. Ho-hum, but his day will come, and it'll be on the docket sooner or later.

Anyone able to locate actual copies of the search warrants all the new reporting is based on?

While looking for the s.warrants, but found this article citing a friend of Phelps, and what a good guy he is.
(Still looking for s/w's...

Friend defends man accused in Raleigh cold medicine murder

By Ed Crump

Thursday, September 07, 2017
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- By the time Matthew Phelps
walked into a Wake County courtroom in front of a phalanx of TV cameras that broadcast the hearing around the world, his friends back in his hometown of Bowling Green, Kentucky were in a daze.

"I was just in utter shock and disbelief. I felt like it was just a bad dream, that I was going to wake up and none of this was true," his former co-worker Melanie Duke told ABC11 via picture phone from the western Kentucky town.
http://abc11.com/friend-defends-man-accused-in-cold-medicine-murder/2387402/

-----------------------------------------------------------

And still nothing on the Wake Co. Courts dockets for poor, poor M. Phelps.

Can't find any warrants on Phelps at this time, but the S/Ws have, according to MSM articles, "been released," so maybe in a few days???

Search warrants are usually full of good info, so let's hope someone can find them somewhere soon -- I'll keep looking, too!

No Matthew Phelps on the Wake Co. Courts dockets as of today, Sunday, 4/15/18.

Anyone able to locate actual copies of the search warrants all the new reporting is based on?
I tried a little but don't know how other than a little Googling. I'd love to see more.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I tried a little but don't know how other than a little Googling. I'd love to see more.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I reached out to one of the writers of the News & Observer story (local newspaper in NC) regarding the warrant's public availability. His response: "Sure. Visit the Wake County Clerk of Courts Office. First floor of the Wake County Public Safety Center."

I am not in the state of NC so can't follow up. Does anyone know if they allow you to make copies and/or will email you copies upon request?

No Matthew on today's docket.

No Matthew Phelps on today's Wake County docket, 4/23/18.
Ho-hum.

Thanks again for checking for us borndem!! Much appreciated! :seeya:

Awwwww :loveyou:Niner, , you make me blush! :blushing:

BTW, no Matthew Phelps on the docket -- today (or Friday).

IMO, his attorney, however bright and successful he is, is gonna have have a tuff time of it. If his med. consultant is much, much more convincing than the prosecution's expert, then Cheshire might have a chance at getting a 2nd degree murder conviction. But 123 stab wounds simply screams 1st degree -- even if the defense tries to claim 2nd degree due to no prior planning, IMO it's like strangulation -- it takes 3--5 minutes (sometimes more) to choke someone to death -- the strangler could stop and the victim could survive (unlike a bullet in the head or heart) -- but if Phelps had stopped stabbing after 5 or 6 stab wounds, Lauren might have survived. Usually the M.E. has no idea which stab wounds occurred in what order. Defense getting 2nd degree will be tuff if the prosecution is on the ball.

Name:

PHELPS, MATTHEW JAMES
29 YEARS OLD
Race / Sex: WHITE / MALE
Arrest Date: 9/1/2017
Release Date:
Next Court Date:

Charge Status Docket # Bond Amount
MURDER AWAITING TRIAL 17CR216961 NO BOND

:) Thanks, Niner, for checking up on our man of steel (blades, that is...). Yep, that's the Wake County Sheriff's Office listing of our Mr. Phelps -:jail:- they keep a record of all of their prisoners -- the record shows very little, but it does have the important info. So, yes, he's still a guest of the Wake County taxpayers, and I'm one of 'em!

Here is the link to our alleged wife-knifer:

http://p2c.wakeso.net/InmateDetail.aspx?navid=636607906208601137

I just checked the docket for Mr. M. Phelps, and he is still not listed... but we do know he's tucked away and probably eating powdered scrambled eggs in the morning and lots of starchy foods as well. Pity, eh??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo
Back