NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't remember if we've discussed it, but I get the schizophrenia vibe too. It commonly shows up in the early to mid 20's. My cousin (now 73) and a schoolmate of my daughter's (now 46) were diagnosed then. Their previously productive lives have never been the same. I don't think people with schizophrenia usually kill anyone...unless perhaps they get into heavy drug use, so his legal team would have an uphill battle with an insanity defense IMO, but I expect they will try...and perhaps pull it off.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archi...hrenia-usually-strikes-first-in-young-adults/

Replying to my own post to link more info about schizophrenia that I posted today on another thread. A promising young man, recently graduated from Oberlin, killed his mother, grandparents and their caregiver with a baseball bat. His mother was worried enough about him to call LE, but before he could be evaluated this happened.

Although rare, if someone with schizophrenia murders, it's more likely to be family before diagnosis.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-8-Sept-2017-*Arrest*&p=13624724#post13624724

If MP suffers from mental illness, it's gone undiagnosed and/or untreated for quite awhile, I expect. While MP appears at this point to have aimed for an insanity defense with his actions, which would rule out an insanity defense IMO, he is clearly disturbed. I'm not ready to rule out schizophrenia yet, even if it has nothing to do with this murder. MP is a less sympathetic person than the young man Orion in the link, at least to me, but he still deserves fair treatment under the law, and treatment if he needs it. This is a tough case because emotions understandably run high.
JMO subject to change

Does anyone know when his "weird" uncannymatty instagram (or tumblr?) was created? What was the date of his first post on that one? TIA.

Does anyone know when his "weird" uncannymatty instagram (or tumblr?) was created? What was the date of his first post on that one? TIA.

First post on "marty_radical" that I can see is 14 weeks ago, so beginning of June. The downward spiral apparent in those posts is remarkably fast!

Tumbler account appears to have been started in late 2014.

"uncanny_matty" posts go back to at least 2013.

That's the best I can do now those have been deleted/set to private. However, there are still elements and echoes of those pages that are publicly available on the web.

Hi all! First time poster here. I hope that Lauren gets the justice she deserves. I don't usually follow cases but when I found out about this particular case right after it happened and the fact that it was so close to my home (From NC) I somehow found myself pulled into investigating this case and ultimately found this community.

So I looked at the uncanny_matty Instagram page before his went private, and comparing it to hers, it looked like when they originally met (via IG) they were not even in the same city- I think he was living in KY at the time. But within a month or so they had arranged a meet up (unclear where) and she may have gone to visit him for Thanksgiving. Then they were engaged about a year later. if they only moved in together after their wedding and/or weren't even in the same city beforehand, I could see how little she would actually know about him/his issues until he moved into her house and she was with him full time. Kind of terrifying.

Also FWIW it appears from Facebook that his former wife is alive and well for those who were concerned.

Great first post, Zaibond!! And,
:welcome:to Websleuths, Zaibond!! We're glad you're here!!

:cheer::cheer:

:Welcome1: to WS, Zaibond , and thank you for the interesting (and helpful) first post!

Replying to my own post to link more info about schizophrenia that I posted today on another thread. A promising young man, recently graduated from Oberlin, killed his mother, grandparents and their caregiver with a baseball bat. His mother was worried enough about him to call LE, but before he could be evaluated this happened.

Although rare, if someone with schizophrenia murders, it's more likely to be family before diagnosis.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-8-Sept-2017-*Arrest*&p=13624724#post13624724

If MP suffers from mental illness, it's gone undiagnosed and/or untreated for quite awhile, I expect. While MP appears at this point to have aimed for an insanity defense with his actions, which would rule out an insanity defense IMO, he is clearly disturbed. I'm not ready to rule out schizophrenia yet, even if it has nothing to do with this murder. MP is a less sympathetic person than the young man Orion in the link, at least to me, but he still deserves fair treatment under the law, and treatment if he needs it. This is a tough case because emotions understandably run high.
JMO subject to change

Interesting thought. I work part time with people with schizophrenia and. Boy can they have bizarre thoughts! Just tonight a young guy man who usually hides his psychosis must have been manic and spilled all sorts of delusions and psychotic thinking to the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMO subject to change

That's very interesting, thanks Lilibet! And I agree that MP is less sympathetic person. Since day one I have had zero sympathy for him - and even more so now, after learning more about him.

First post on "marty_radical" that I can see is 14 weeks ago, so beginning of June. The downward spiral apparent in those posts is remarkably fast!

Tumbler account appears to have been started in late 2014.

"uncanny_matty" posts go back to at least 2013.

That's the best I can do now those have been deleted/set to private. However, there are still elements and echoes of those pages that are publicly available on the web.

Thanks gray jay. So the instagram marty_radical is the disturbing one? If he just created it in June of this year, he may have been setting up a defense as part of his plan to kill his wife.

RSBM

Sipped And Bolded By Me. :)

"SNIPPED" , sorry. :)
Am also marking my spot.

I'm on the fence as to how ill he is in his head... or just plain mean and evil.
Maybe a good dose of both ?
:moo:

:welcome6:to Websleuths, gray.jay!! We're glad you're with us!!

:happydance:
:happydance:

Searched "uncanny_matty" and came across this site:

YOU ARE READING
Hello from Me
RANDOM
An introduction to the dreams and experiences of Matthew Phelps, Matt Phelps, Phatt Melps, Mart Pharples, Matty Phelps, Uncanny Matty, Marty Phelps, and Matty Poppins.
#aboutme #dreams #hypnagogia #hypnopompic #newwriter

https://www.wattpad.com/104051801-hello-from-me

https://www.wattpad.com/story/32982671-hello-from-me

What a find! Thanks for sharing.

Hypnagogia is the experience of the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep: the hypnagogic state of consciousness, during the onset of sleep. Mental phenomena that occur during this "threshold consciousness" phase include lucid thought, lucid dreaming, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

What a find! Thanks for sharing.

Hypnagogia is the experience of the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep: the hypnagogic state of consciousness, during the onset of sleep. Mental phenomena that occur during this "threshold consciousness" phase include lucid thought, lucid dreaming, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

YW. From what I could find on that site, there's 7 stories that he's written about himself and his dreams. You have to sign up to be able to read all of the stories except for the one I linked above.

Searched "uncanny_matty" and came across this site:

YOU ARE READING
Hello from Me
RANDOM
An introduction to the dreams and experiences of Matthew Phelps, Matt Phelps, Phatt Melps, Mart Pharples, Matty Phelps, Uncanny Matty, Marty Phelps, and Matty Poppins.
#aboutme #dreams #hypnagogia #hypnopompic #newwriter

https://www.wattpad.com/104051801-hello-from-me

https://www.wattpad.com/story/32982671-hello-from-me

A convenient list of possible online pseudonyms! Great find.

Thanks gray jay. So the instagram marty_radical is the disturbing one? If he just created it in June of this year, he may have been setting up a defense as part of his plan to kill his wife.

I was not able to see if it was created in June, only that the first post was in June. To me it almost seemed like an outlet for his secret lifestyle that he was hiding from LP--it started out with lots of selfies of him in new clothes with hastags like "#suitlife" and "#consultantgoals". Almost seemed like he was showing off/looking for attention with the photos of himself dressed up for work and smoking. The darker content becomes more prevalent in recent posts, and he appears to lose his consulting job and be driving for Uber based on the posts.

I'm curious as to what his consulting job was-- It's hard to imagine he would have had enough experience in any one area by the age of 28 to be a good consultant. I'm 27 with a BS and about 15 years in the work force before and after college, for reference. I wonder how he lost that job. He must not have been employed for very long. We know he was also fired from Uber recently, so it's possible he lost at least 2 jobs in the span of a couple months. Just my thoughts...

The narcissistic, braggy, selfies on that account are what make me think that he wasn't setting up a defense. He quotes an Iggy Azalea lyric in one selfie post: "To everyone who said I'd never make it Oh Lord, weren't you mistaken I got a dinner date with greatness". He was cocky, on top of the world in the initial posts, and it all slid downhill from there--suicidal/self loathing at the end.

Also, some of the content on that "marty_radical" account is more vulgar than dark. That also makes me think that he just needed a "public" outlet for his double life. It's all the stuff he didn't want poor LP to see.

I'm new here, so hello:seeya:. I was wondering if anyone has searched creepypastas or other short story sites for him. The stories (dreams) on his tumblr seem like they'd fit in well on a site like creepypastas and IIRC he mentions a desire to be a writer in his first post.

On the subject of the tumblr posts, did anyone else notice his mention of sleeping in his grandmother's room for a few years? The whole pumpkin man story leaves me with a strange impression--if I didn't know about his crime and was just reading the story I would probably see it as representing a childhood sexual assault. https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/hypnopomattic/109357752162

Does anyone else get a vibe of angst-filled teen not grown man from his various social media?

:wagon:to Websleuths, thdesch!! We're glad you're here!!

:drumroll:
.....:drumroll:

I'm new here, so hello:seeya:. I was wondering if anyone has searched creepypastas or other short story sites for him. The stories (dreams) on his tumblr seem like they'd fit in well on a site like creepypastas and IIRC he mentions a desire to be a writer in his first post.

On the subject of the tumblr posts, did anyone else notice his mention of sleeping in his grandmother's room for a few years? The whole pumpkin man story leaves me with a strange impression--if I didn't know about his crime and was just reading the story I would probably see it as representing a childhood sexual assault. https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/hypnopomattic/109357752162

Does anyone else get a vibe of angst-filled teen not grown man from his various social media?
SABBM

That's somewhat weird.... Imo.

Also -- he seemed to have plenty of time to be online. Wonder if he shared any of his passwords with Lauren ?

Btw-- thdesch : :welcome4:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie
Back