NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi all, this is my first post. This case is just so strange. My first inclination was to think Matt is guilty and using a (very weak) cough medicine defense. His unwillingness to try to help Lauren really creeped me out. But after reading the stories he posted, I don't know. He's definitely aware that his sleep and dreams aren't typical. He seems to be reaching out, wanting to better understand himself. He appears to have trust issues, and he becomes easily attached to his romantic partners. He seems unable to keep a job. There's a lot going on in this guy's head, and he certainly seemed to be on a downward trend leading up to this event. I suspect a personality disorder, as well as a serious sleep disorder. Bipolar disorder wouldn't surprise me either. But I'm really no longer sure this killing was premeditated.

I came across the info linked below while googling around, trying to understand him better. Maybe he was attempting to self-medicate his sleep disorder, which was becoming worse. (He mentioned to the 911 operator that he'd been having trouble sleeping, as I recall). I don't think the medicine made him violent, but the underlying problem he was medicating (a serious sleep disorder) may have. I'm not sure this could be used as a defense, or that it even is a defense. But maybe he really did do this while asleep. What do you guys think?

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/rem-behavior-disorder

:Welcome1: to all you new members! You are making great first posts.

Hi all, this is my first post. This case is just so strange. My first inclination was to think Matt is guilty and using a (very weak) cough medicine defense. His unwillingness to try to help Lauren really creeped me out. But after reading the stories he posted, I don't know. He's definitely aware that his sleep and dreams aren't typical. He seems to be reaching out, wanting to better understand himself. He appears to have trust issues, and he becomes easily attached to his romantic partners. He seems unable to keep a job. There's a lot going on in this guy's head, and he certainly seemed to be on a downward trend leading up to this event. I suspect a personality disorder, as well as a serious sleep disorder. Bipolar disorder wouldn't surprise me either. But I'm really no longer sure this killing was premeditated.

I came across the info linked below while googling around, trying to understand him better. Maybe he was attempting to self-medicate his sleep disorder, which was becoming worse. (He mentioned to the 911 operator that he'd been having trouble sleeping, as I recall). I don't think the medicine made him violent, but the underlying problem he was medicating (a serious sleep disorder) may have. I'm not sure this could be used as a defense, or that it even is a defense. But maybe he really did do this while asleep. What do you guys think?

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/rem-behavior-disorder

Welcome! I think you found very interesting information! As awful as Lauren's murder was, I would much rather believe this sleep disorder is the cause, rather than a premeditated attack. The website you linked has a section called "History" which describes the actions of some with this disorder. It mentions that they are calm, friendly people when awake.

• A 77-year old minister had been behaving violently in his sleep for 20 years, sometimes even injuring his wife.
  • A 60-year old surgeon would jump out of bed during nightmares of being attacked by "criminals, terrorists and monsters."
  • A 62-year old industrial plant manager who was a war veteran dreamt of being attacked by enemy soldiers and fights back in his sleep, sometimes injuring himself.
  • A 57-year old retired school principal was inadvertently punching and kicking his wife for two years during vivid nightmares of protecting himself and family from aggressive people and snakes.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/rem-behavior-disorder/history

In the "Treatment" section it discusses making the bedroom safe, removing sharp objects. Of course it could be possible to go get a knife during an episode, if sleepwalking is part of it.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/rem-behavior-disorder/treatment

I wonder if MP had milder episodes prior to killing Lauren. If this truly was the cause, it's tragic that he didn't get help before. I'm sure his defense attorneys are exploring every possible avenue for his defense, as they should if it is true. But I'd hate to see it become a "Twinkie defense."
JMO

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense

Since MP's mother (?) also had a sleep problem, according to MP, genetics can play a role as it does in this fatal sleep disorder that runs in families for generations. I'm not at all saying that this is MP's problem, but it shows what is possible. Such a horrible disorder!

I ran across this in a CNN article that I can't get to link here because it has a video..."A family curse--first insomnia, then death."

Here are other stories.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3675223&page=1

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/6429/fatal-familial-insomnia

https://www.livescience.com/43049-fatal-insomnia-teen.html

At this point, we only have MP's word for sleep problems in his writing, and it could either be true or a clever defense setup. IMO it's legally fair to keep an open mind about his claim, as repugnant as that is. Which way does Occam's razor slice in this story? Time will tell.

Wow, what a strange and terrible disease! Does not sound like MP's issue, but is a good example of how our brains need adequate sleep to function properly, and even just to stay alive.

I'm hoping more info comes out on this case soon. Would love to know more about the family's sleep dysfunction and also hear from his ex-wife.

Does anyone know what waiver MP signed while in court (you can hear some of the audio regarding this on the various links to the hearing). Perhaps it was waiving the right to a probable cause hearing? Not a lawyer here, but just wondering what the next steps are. Is he expected to enter a plea at the next court date Monday?

http://defendermanuals.sog.unc.edu/...Ch 3 Probable Cause Hearings 2d ed 2013_0.pdf

I believe he waived his right to a public defender (court appointed counsel). His parents hired him a top rate criminal defense attorney.

Since MP's mother (?) also had a sleep problem, according to MP, genetics can play a role as it does in this fatal sleep disorder that runs in families for generations. I'm not at all saying that this is MP's problem, but it shows what is possible. Such a horrible disorder!

I ran across this in a CNN article that I can't get to link here because it has a video..."A family curse--first insomnia, then death."

If you copy and paste the link, then erase the http:// before posting it'll make it a link instead of the video. It will add the http:// back on, but it'll work, I promise. :thinking:

www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/health/fatal-insomnia-family-curse-somethings-killing-me/index.html

Thank you! I lurk more than post but upon seeing this linked on FB I just had to add my little essay. A lot of it can be corrobated by previous links to the drug as well as Wikipedia. I've recreationally used DXM in the same exact medication he took for the last ten years, on and off. I'm not proud but it did begin a passion for medicine and my studies as an adult now.
I finally listened to the audio and read the articles. He sounds genuinely shocked and saddened, but I'm having an issue here with his claims that "I took too much because I heard it makes you feel good and helps you/me(?) sleep at night."
He's taken it before. He likely has a tendency towards addiction to seek some kind of emotional high in an OTC medication. He's likely been treated and/or medicated in the past for insomnia, depression, or addiction- hence his emphasis on religion. But knowledge of DXM is very underground and not common like alcohol or weed. You have to happen upon it somehow; I was unfortunately introduced to it at 15 in Freshman year of high school by a fat senior kid who used it to incapacitate me before asking me out (moron).
So he intentionally overdosed but I still wonder with exactly how much and what else was in his system if anything? It's not the strangest thing for an active Christian to use substances, but why DXM- and TO SLEEP? LOL. I don't want to base my post on personal experience as I know it's a bit biased but I can't sleep for days on end after intentionally overdosing. Maybe he can, obviously he did at some point. Blacking out is standard and dependent on how much he took. I've had the dream effect of walking home late at night and being unable to walk very well to thinking I was in my bed asleep up until I reached my front door. It's scary stuff when the brain somehow separates one's consciousness like that and there's a good chance that is what happened here.
But I'm also skeptical about the 911 call. Again depending on how much he took and his emotional responses, I'm confused as to how he just immediately comes to his conclusion and confesses before becoming emotional and distraught over his wife's death. It was still fairly early and he's obviously still high with enough of it in his system to make me suspect of the sudden tears. Here's why:
DXM being a dissociative literally turns off your emotions. Period. The dream can easily have been a hallucination while he killed her, but I doubt he'd be capable of such a devastated emotional response until the next day or maybe even after. I specifically was drawn to DXM for this very mechanism of numbing my emotional state as a way to "cope", which works nicely at first until you either peak and reach psychosis or you come down into debilitating depression for days.
Or, you know, you wake up to having stabbed someone you love. That, I luckily I have zero experience in.
The antihistamine Chorph-something Maleate that accompanies DXM hBR in this exact brand of cold medicine makes me sleep for a day sometimes once I "come down" but it took 12-36 hours depending on how much and how frequent my dosing was. The weepy emotions don't hit me until Day 2 or 3 of detox, because I finally reconnect with normal levels of serotonin and anxiety/depression comes rushing back to my now sober state. This is all personal anecdote I realize but it makes me suspicious of his story, his alleged altered state, and then the emotional response in the 911 call that I doubt he would be capable of. I'd be more convinced if he acted monotone, robotic in unlocking the door, etc, even after discovering his dead wife's body and believing his dream pointed to him. Why?
Because that's what drugs do. They complete de-regulate our normal responses to positive or negative stimuli and this so far doesn't exactly match the typical mechanism of what DXM does. You don't sleep and you certainly cannot cry. But that's only been MY experience of ten years, anyone else could certainly respond differently when it comes to emotional stuff and drugs. I definitely haven't killed anyone in my escapades so there's that difference right there.
Ultimately, I'm saddened by this case on a personal level. Especially if he is being truthful. But I sense previous drug abuse in his past for having ANY knowledge of DXM "making you feel good". The lack of medical information on the long-term effects of abusing Coricidin is actually something that has hindered me from being able to find a licensed professional who is even REMOTELY familiar with DXM abuse. It is not physically addicting, it is cheap in the U.S. and very accessible over the counter. Other countries have way more awareness on this than we do in the US because some require a prescription for any DXM product purchase and some track how much you buy like they do with allergy med ingredient pseudoephedrine, a stimulant found in most methamphetamine recipes. We're so occupied with fentanyl/heroin crisis and marijuana (-_-) being legalized that DXM just gets swept under the rug until mass amounts of preteens are ill at school and dying from fractions of amounts I've taken and survived somehow.
That's also why I don't get how he's like ... okay? Was he triaged by ambulance and/or admitted to ER for intentional overdose? His pulse would likely be 100-140 bpm or his BP would be high enough for an automatic admission. It's happened to me many times in the past where EMT took my vitals and I instantly wheeled off in the dangers of impending seizure/CVA/cardiac arrest/coma/death.
Does anyone know when he was arrested versus when this happened to determine how long he was admitted/treated medically as an OD would automatically call for? Also I don't know NC legal process on 5150 or uk2000 laws we have in CA and NV where if intentional overdose is verbally admitted (which he did) or suspected, its instant psych ward custody for minimum 72 hours if ER doctor agrees to send him off. Which he'd likely be in legal custody of Psych ward then arrested, or perhaps vice versa.
I see a history of mental/emotional issues here (insomnia, depression), drug abuse (just KNOWING of DXM implies some sort of experience with substances and street knowledge), and a possible insanity or "I was blacked out on something" defense which won't bode well if prosecution finds family/friends/church testimony of Psych issues even if not exactly abusive to wife. It could go either way if he's being honest. Or he could face researched the ish out of this drug that is NOT a common thing to experiment or abuse, and come up with an instant alibi while playing out his role on 911 call as shocked, high, sleepy, hallucinating, and then crying husband of randomly dead wife who "didn't deserve this".
And she didn't. She really didn't. Whatever the cause of such a heinous attack, I'M shocked and saddened by this case that involves something that has ruined my life and then some. I've only been "clean" after a recent implosion of a DXM spiral for 5 days from this crap. This story solidifies my hatred for it and this is just a shocking reminder that the brain and all its functions, is NOT a toy. Neither is drugs.
So perp is either a complete idiot whose tragic decision to play with a rare OTC drug resulted in the premature death of his wife, or he's an evil SOB with underlying motive to fake being blacked out and sob on 911 after stabbing her to death.
I see a defensive wound on his nose and right corner of mouth. I think she tried to fight back. I think there's hidden parts of his past she was unaware. Only married for under a year, no known criminal history or domestic violence.
What a mess. Thank you for reading my way too long posts and welcoming me to WS. I'm starting to shake and tear up over all of this so I need a break. And this is after the Toybox and Toolbox Killers rabbit holes yesterday where I was pissed off but never about to be in tears after skimming THOSE insane, chilling crimes. Wow. :(
Feel free to ask me any questions about my experiences on this btw. I have a lot unfortunately but he could be lying or responded differently. I just don't know.

Very informative and heartfelt post. I'm sorry that you have been through this experience and I sincerely hope that you continue to try and rid yourself of this addiction. Thank you for sharing your innermost feelings and putting this out there with a view to help others. It takes a lot of courage to Share things about ourselves that we don't particularly like or would rather be kept secret. Well done on your progress to date and good luck with your journey x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what it says on her scentsy fb page:

"This is where Scentsy enters. I currently work FULL time at a fortune 500 company as a lead auditor. I love my co-workers and being able to assist and help others, however my goal is to be a STAY AT HOME MOMMA…"

Could she have been newly pregnant and that was the trigger? They buried poor Lauren so quickly, I hope they looked into that. There was no time for an autopsy.

What do you mean 'no time for an autopsy?' As in there wasn't one completed? There MUST have been because otherwise you cannot prove the COD and thus the murder charge .... Speaking as a SIO Detective from UK

Do we know for sure that an autopsy was not done? All homicides in NC must be reported to an M.E. Was an M.E. called to the scene of this death? No doubt on the COD of course, but any death that is due to a violent or tragic injury must be investigated by an M.E. I figured an autopsy had been done in this case. Dunno.

There has to be an autopsy in a suspicious death / murder enquiry because you have to prove the COD in order to substantiate the charge and subsequent arraignment ... speaking as a Detective SIO from U.K.

It says my goal is to be...

I have a friend who has a business like this and has the same thing on her site. She is trying to get pregnant. I can see what you are saying though. Heck, maybe she was. JMO

What do you mean 'no time for an autopsy?' As in there wasn't one completed? There MUST have been because otherwise you cannot prove the COD and thus the murder charge .... Speaking as a SIO Detective from UK

it does seem that an autopsy had to be performed very quickly if it was done. I haven't heard either way. However, the 9 call was made @ 1 am on Friday, she was pronounced dead sometime after that, and was buried on Monday. Is it normal to have had an autopsy that fast?

http://www.ocme.dhhs.nc.gov/rules/guidelines.shtml
N.C. OCME GUIDELINES
6. The medical examiner has the authority to order an autopsy when, in his/her opinion, it is advisable and in the public interest. This power is to be used judiciously. If in doubt as to the advisability of ordering an autopsy, consultation is to be sought from the OCME or from the Regional Pathologist. In the event of a difference of opinion between a ME and a regional pathologist, the OCME may be contacted to resolve the issue.

Medical Examiners should order an autopsy on:

1. all homicides and suspected homicides

I would be curious to know if other toxicologists agree with this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/cold-medicine-taken-n-c-124358689.html
A forensic toxicologist tells PEOPLE that the cold medicine taken by a North Carolina aspiring pastor accused of fatally stabbing his wife in the middle of the night can cause hallucinations in high concentrations that are similar to those caused by the street drug PCP.

[North Carolina defense attorney] Beechler said that using the cold medicine claim as a defense could land Phelps with a lesser charge or, in very rare cases, a not guilty verdict. He said the defense could argue automatism, which holds that Phelps was unconscious during the alleged crime and “was unable to control his physical actions.”
“It is generally not a legal excuse for a crime but if you’re in a mental state where you cannot premeditate, deliberate and form specific intent to kill, then you cannot be convicted of first-degree murder,” Beechler said.

There has to be an autopsy in a suspicious death / murder enquiry because you have to prove the COD in order to substantiate the charge and subsequent arraignment ... speaking as a Detective SIO from U.K.

Exactly -- any time there is a death such as this -- it's just that an earlier post mentioned that an autopsy was prolly not done since the funeral was done so quickly.
In NC -- and I've never seen exceptions in a case of a homicide -- the body is immediately taken to the M.E.'s office in Raleigh, and an autopsy is done asap.

it does seem that an autopsy had to be performed very quickly if it was done. I haven't heard either way. However, the 9 call was made @ 1 am on Friday, she was pronounced dead sometime after that, and was buried on Monday. Is it normal to have had an autopsy that fast?

http://www.ocme.dhhs.nc.gov/rules/guidelines.shtml

bbm
I have seen a good many done -- when homicide is the COD -- the "next day" when the victims in were in this area. The OCME's office is here in Raleigh; it's one factor that helps with the quick turn-around, IMO. I'm betting that that was the case here.

Monday, Sept. 25th:

*Arraignment Hearing 9am ET - NC - Lauren Ashley-Nicole Phelps (29) (Aug. 1, 2017) - Matthew James Phelps (28) (husband)/Arrest hearing on 9/5 - charged with 1st degree murder, no bond/said he stabbed wife in his sleep from cold medicine.

:judge:

JUSTICE for LAUREN! :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95