NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ummmm….wow!

Burning anything with Madalina’s face on it?

Burning her bed?

Sending her husband to Michigan over Thanksgiving to get Madalina’s clothes? Why didn’t they go together and who makes that kind of URGENT drive to get a child’s clothing?

Could DC have sacrificed Madalina in some kind of religious fervour?

Who are these people?
Wish CP was questioned on why Madalina's clothes were in MI. How did clothes get there and when? Was it an entire wardrobe of just a few items? Makes no sense. Seems like an odd reason to travel solo from NC to MI over Thanksgiving.

Is Diana still under the delusion that Putin/Jackson are trying to communicate with her?

Was she  ever? Was it all part of an elaborate plan, a ruse? Was she acting? Or reacting? To real or perceived threats?

Let's assume M is safe somewhere. All that money to a priest? Who might have access to a network? But let's just say, she found a way to ferret M out of the country.

Passports, cash, I think the intention was to disappear WITH M while the husband was off on errand in Michigan.

What's with the packed totes? They were either moving in down the block or absconding to Moldova?

Why couldn't Diana have just TRAVELED to Moldova? Buy tickets, travel there with M, send a letter to her husband to say she was done and another to the school to say they'd moved to Moldova?

Unless she trusted no one. Extreme paranoia.

So she arranged secret passage? But her runner wouldn't take her, just M? Suddenly she TRUSTS that? Sending her only child alone? If paranoid, why not a random flight pattern? Steal more money, buy tickets at random, leapfrog her way to Moldova?

How surprised was he when she showed up at the house and stayed the night?????

All JMO

Remembering that this trial is only about whether or not CP is guilty of failing to report Madalina missing within 24 hours, it makes me wonder what the prosecution has chosen to leave for possibly more serious charges in the future.

IOW is there more information that the prosecution is holding back? IMO probably. I’d like to know what LE and the DA privately believe happened to Madalina. Sigh.

Wish CP was questioned on why Madalina's clothes were in MI. How did clothes get there and when? Was it an entire wardrobe of just a few items? Makes no sense. Seems like an odd reason to travel solo from NC to MI over Thanksgiving.
I would assume some of Madalina's clothes were left there when the plan fell apart due to the alleged cell phone recording, and they all headed back to NC.

Is Diana still under the delusion that Putin/Jackson are trying to communicate with her?

Was she  ever? Was it all part of an elaborate plan, a ruse? Was she acting? Or reacting? To real or perceived threats?

Let's assume M is safe somewhere. All that money to a priest? Who might have access to a network? But let's just say, she found a way to ferret M out of the country.

Passports, cash, I think the intention was to disappear WITH M while the husband was off on errand in Michigan.

What's with the packed totes? They were either moving in down the block or absconding to Moldova?

Why couldn't Diana have just TRAVELED to Moldova? Buy tickets, travel there with M, send a letter to her husband to say she was done and another to the school to say they'd moved to Moldova?

Unless she trusted no one. Extreme paranoia.

So she arranged secret passage? But her runner wouldn't take her, just M? Suddenly she TRUSTS that? Sending her only child alone? If paranoid, why not a random flight pattern? Steal more money, buy tickets at random, leapfrog her way to Moldova?

How surprised was he when she showed up at the house and stayed the night?????

All JMO
So frustrating.

Diana had numerous opportunities to go anywhere with Madalina; she clearly was able to move around freely.

She had unfettered access to her and Madalina’s passports. She was in possession of large amounts of cash.

Yet Diana is still around while Madalina is not. IMO that doesn’t bode well. Was Diana protecting Madalina or was something more sinister at play? I don’t trust her. Or Christopher. MOO

This is a terrible thought, but I have to admit that it also crossed my mind. All of the burning is very concerning, and when combined with the delusions and paranoia, even more so -- and then add in the religious fervor.

Before this trial, I almost had myself convinced that there was a decent chance that Madalina was hidden away, safe, somewhere.
That hope has faded now, but I can't completely give up on it. There is always hope.

As for the purpose of the trial -- is CP guilty of not reporting Madalina missing? -- of course he is. How ridiculous his defense is. He said he thought M was in her room, but in the cross-examination he said he knew she wasn't in her room because she didn't pass by him. DC said she was in the bathroom, but he knew she wasn't there because the light was off. When he saw the trundle mattress on the back porch with the fabric burned off, his reaction was simply to saw the metal and dispose of it. If he is not directly involved in her disappearance, at the very least he is guilty of covering it up.

So frustrating.

Diana had numerous opportunities to go anywhere with Madalina; she clearly was able to move around freely.

She had unfettered access to her and Madalina’s passports. She was in possession of large amounts of cash.

Yet Diana is still around while Madalina is not. IMO that doesn’t bode well. Was Diana protecting Madalina or was something more sinister at play? I don’t trust her. Or Christopher. MOO

Not only is Madalina's mother still around & plead guilty to never reporting her missing, she's also never once made any kind of appeal to anyone to help locate her daughter.

I can only suspect that DC doesn't want anyone's help or anyone looking for Madalina.

Ummmm….wow!

Burning anything with Madalina’s face on it?

Burning her bed?

Sending her husband to Michigan over Thanksgiving to get Madalina’s clothes? Why didn’t they go together and who makes that kind of URGENT drive to get a child’s clothing?

Who are these people?
I don't understand why Madalina's clothes would be in a different state. Makes no sense to me.

This is a terrible thought, but I have to admit that it also crossed my mind. All of the burning is very concerning, and when combined with the delusions and paranoia, even more so -- and then add in the religious fervor.

Before this trial, I almost had myself convinced that there was a decent chance that Madalina was hidden away, safe, somewhere.
That hope has faded now, but I can't completely give up on it. There is always hope.

As for the purpose of the trial -- is CP guilty of not reporting Madalina missing? -- of course he is. How ridiculous his defense is. He said he thought M was in her room, but in the cross-examination he said he knew she wasn't in her room because she didn't pass by him. DC said she was in the bathroom, but he knew she wasn't there because the light was off. When he saw the trundle mattress on the back porch with the fabric burned off, his reaction was simply to saw the metal and dispose of it. If he is not directly involved in her disappearance, at the very least he is guilty of covering it up.
I don't know the exact statute for the crime but I thought the definition included that the parent or caregiver had to suspect that the child was in danger. If CP never thought Madalina was in any danger, since DC was such a dutiful, attentive mom (sure Jan), then technically he'd be not guilty. I think.

I suspect this was his reason for wanting a jury trial, and to testify himself.

ETA - I was incorrect. The exact statute is 14-318.5(B) and it doesn't include suspecting the child is in danger.
"(b) A parent or any other person providing care to or supervision of a child who knowingly or wantonly fails to report the disappearance of a child to law enforcement is in violation of this subsection. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, a violation of this subsection is punishable as a Class I felony." https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-14-criminal-law/nc-gen-st-sect-14-318-5/

So his defense is entirely based on his claim he didn't know she was actually "missing".

Last edited:
Jesse Pierre
Defense calls Paul Palmiter, Chris Palmiter’s brother, who lives in Michigan.

Paul says he has met Diana Cojocari less than a dozen times in the last 10 years.

Emma Mondo
We are back from lunch recess. The Defense has called Mr. Paul Palmiter, Christopher Palmiter's brother, to the stand.

Paul said he had met Diana Cojocari less than a dozen times. He said that he knew they met on a dating website. He said Christopher's interactions with Madalina were always positive when he was around them, that he was always making sure “his daughter, Madalina” was ok

He says Palmiter showed up in Michigan on Mothers day of 2022. He asked his brother to leave his phone inside and talk outside. He told his brother that someone from Diana’s past was after her, and he was looking for a safe place that Diana and Madalina could go. He says Christopher was emotional telling him his family was in danger.

Paul says he offered an extra bedroom in their house, but Christopher didn't want anyone to track them down at his house.

Several weeks later, Diana showed up in Michigan at Paul's house unexpectedly. She wanted to talk to Paul and his wife about if Madalina could come and stay with them and go to school in Michigan.

Emma Mondo
Paul says that Christopher's main concern was if someone was to try and take Diana, he wouldn’t be able to take care of Madalina alone. He said he would talk to his wife about helping, but they needed to do it legally and draw up a document for them to house Madalina.

Paul says his brother has always been very truthful and has never lied to him or anyone in the family. He says he wouldn’t come here to lie for his brother.

1:55 p.m.
Paul, Christopher Palmiter's brother, testifies he has met Diana Cojocari less than a dozen times in the last 10 years.

2:00 p.m.
Paul says Diana once showed up to his home in Michigan, unexpectedly. He says Diana was "incognito" and he barely recognized her.

He says Diana asked to speak to Paul and Paul’s wife, asking about if Diana and Madalina could come here and asking what kind of schools were around. Paul says Diana was concerned about the education Madalina would receive if she went to school in Michigan.

Paul says when she showed up, they were heading to church. Diana cooked a meal for them and wanted to talk about Madalina and herself coming there, he says.

2:06 p.m.
Paul says when Christopher came to see him in Michigan, he was concerned that if something happened to Diana, he wouldn’t know how to take care of Madalina.

Paul says Christopher asked him if he would help take care of Madalina. Paul says it would have to be done very legally.

2:09 p.m.
The defense is asking Paul if he had any thought of Christopher being non-truthful.

Paul says no, adding, Chris was an honest person, overall.

The defense wrapped up questions.

2:11 p.m.
The state is now questioning a friend of Christopher's, who met him in college. He said Christopher is a "law-abiding citizen and truthful."

Emma Mondo
The next person to take the stand was Palmiter's longtime friend, David.

David said that Christopher was his best friend until he got married, he said after that they just had different interests. David says that Chris was a truthful man who followed the law.

David said he met Diana Cojocari after they married, and the conflicts and differences really started to show on their annual beach trips. David said that he would try to distance himself from Diana, and she would distance herself from groups on trips as well.

David said there was a power dynamic in Diana and Christopher’s relationship, Diana being controlling.

David said he witnessed strange behavior from Diana several times. One example he shared was Diana telling their group at the beach to stop taking photos of a rainbow, and that it was an angel receiving their crown, and to take pictures of it was sacrilegious.

David said his wife was listed as Madalina's emergency contact, and David didn't know that until the police called looking for Madalina.

2:11 p.m.
The state is now questioning a friend of Christopher's, who met him in college. He said Christopher is a "law-abiding citizen and truthful."

2:13 p.m.
Christopher's college friend shares more about meeting Diana. He says it was hard to communicate with her when they first met, because she was learning English.

He says they would get together for family vacations and that is where a lot of the "family conflicts and differences would reveal themselves."

2:18 p.m.
Christopher's college friend, David, says it appeared during a camping trip that Christopher would have to get permission to walk with Madalina to dock.

David talks about power dynamics between the couple.

He speaks about a time when Christopher was at his house. They were having beers and chips, and Diana came in and told him he could only drink half the beer, no chips and handed him an apple from her pocket.

Chris told him “happy wife, happy life."

2:20 p.m.
David says he noticed several odd behaviors from Diana including, speaking about seeing angels. David's wife is Sandy, who is listed as an emergency contact for Madalina at school.

2:23 p.m.
David says his wife called him on December 13, after receiving correspondence from Madalina's school. He reached out to Christopher to call him after that, he says. He didn’t pry for more information, because Christopher made him feel like it was a "family matter."

2:25 p.m.
David says Diana asked him if he had a 401K. He said she asked "out of the blue" what his 401K is invested in. He says she specifically asked about silver.

Emma Mondo
David said Diana asked if he had a 401k. She asked if he had ever invested in silver. David said it was very awkward conversation.

2:28 p.m.
The defense called Matthew Palmiter to the stand. He is Christopher's younger brother, who lives in South Carolina.

2:31 p.m.
Matthew Palmiter says Diana was more of the controlling one in the relationship.

He added, Diana would do most of the driving and she would pick the stops where they would all break and eat.

Emma Mondo
The Next person to take the stand is Matthew Palmiter, Christopher’s other brother

Matthews says he met Cojocari a couple dozen times. Matthew said the dynamic between Cojocari and Chris was that Diana was the controlling one, and Chris would listen to her.

Matthew said he went to the house after Christopher was arrested to take care of things. When he first arrived, the back door was unlocked and everything inside was a mess and torn up inside from the police's investigation.

2:35 p.m.
Matthew talks about going to check Palmiter's house after the arrest of Palmiter and Cojocari.

He says he called the police department to let them know he was going in the house. He found the front door to be locked and went around to the back of the house. The back door was unlocked, he says.

"I thought after the police or whoever was there doing the investigating would have locked the house up, but they didn't," he said.

The house was smelly, a mess, and there were cats everywhere.
After feeding the cats, he found every room was "torn apart." This caused him to set up security cameras and change the locks in the house.

2:38 p.m.
Matthew Palmiter says people entered the house two different times. On March 2023, three people entered the house. He took screenshots with his new security camera as the people went from room to room, he says.

https://x.com/emmamondoTV
Emma Mondo
He had installed security cameras, and on March 20th of 2023 he saw three people in the house. He was about to say who he found out it was on the cameras - but the state objected for hearsay before her could finish.

The defense rests at this time.

2:41 p.m.
A lawyer with the District Attorney's Office asked Matthew about the dynamic between Diana and Christopher "in terms of parenting."

"Diana is pretty much the one who told Diana what to do and when to do it," Matthew, Palmiter's brother, said.

Palmiter was pretty much like a babysitter for entertainment for Madalina, he said.

2:45 p.m.
There are no more witnesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
issy565