NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jesse Pierre
State continues with cross examination.

Madalina would refer to you to her friends as her dad? Palmiter answers yes. In turn you referred to her as your daughter and Palmiter answered yes

State asking Palmiter if he would lie to detectives trying to find his daughter… Palmiter answered no

State asks Palmiter has Diana ever told him she stashed Madalina somewhere, Palmiter answered No.

Palmiter asked about a conversation he had with Diana when he was back from Michigan. He asked Diana where is Madalina. Diana said Madalina was in the bathroom but Palmiter said that is not true, the lights are off.

He said he believe that Diana was not being truthful with him

This is the time when he saw several bins in their living room filled with various household items.Palmiter said he was questioning the stability of their marriage and believed Diana was leaving him, leaving the marriage.

Jesse Pierre
Defense asked Palmiter is it fair to say you two were having marital problems, Palmiter answered yes.

Palmiter begins to get emotional and grabs a tissue

9:33 a.m.
Palmiter tells the state that he would refer to himself as Madalina's father to her friends and called her his daughter. He tells the state that his wife, Diana, would buy special cases for his phones to keep them more private, similar to how she treated her own devices.

9:42 a.m.
Palmiter says he would not lie to detectives who were trying to find his daughter. When asked if Diana ever told him where Madalina was, Palmiter answered no.

9:56 a.m.
Palmiter says when he returned from Michigan that he asked about Madalina's whereabouts. Diana allegedly told him "in the bathroom," but Palmiter confirmed she was not in the bathroom because the lights were off. He tells prosecutors that he didn't believe Diana was being "completely truthful" about what happened to Madalina. Palmiter testifies that his wife then said Madalina must've gone to her room, but he said that was impossible because she'd have walked past him to get there.

10:03 a.m.
Palmiter says he questioned the stability of his marriage and was questioning if Diana Cojocari was going to return. He believed they may have left and not coming back. A few moments later, Palmiter becomes emotional and admits they were having marital problems.

10:14 a.m.
Palmiter mentions a FaceTime conversation with his brother. He told his brother what happened and Palmiter says his brother told him he needed to clarify a few things with police. He says he went to Cornelius police afterward for a conversation with detectives.

He testifies that he cooperated with investigators in excess of 12 hours. Palmiter suggested maybe Madalina was picked up off the street or at a friend's house. Palmiter mentions a girl with special needs who lives "down the street," claiming that Diana approached the family about staying at their home with Madalina. Palmiter said Cojocari offered to help care for the girl in exchange for a place to stay.

10:19 a.m.
Palmiter is asked if he had any idea in his mind that Diana wasn't taking care of Madalina. He said he had "no idea" that Madalina was not in her care. He suggested that detectives put a tracker in Diana's car to see where she went.

Palmiter testifies that he was "entertainment" for Madalina, saying he took her to the park and other places on a regular basis. He says he enjoyed doing those things for her, saying he'd never had any other children.

He says Diana made sure Madalina did her homework, took baths and got her ready for school each day. He says Diana also took care of her appointments, saying she did a "good job" managing that.

10:24 a.m.
Palmiter is asked about Diana being at his house after she was released from jail. Palmiter said she was outside on a swing and that he opened the door for her. Arrangements were made for Diana to stay at a hotel in Huntersville. Palmiter said he did not want Diana to stay with him and she only stayed at the house one night.

Palmiter says there were "trust issues" in 2022. He testifies that a plan to get Madalina and Diana to Michigan didn't materialize. Palmiter says when that plan fell apart, Diana stopped trusting him. Palmiter says Diana asked him if something happened to her what would happen to Madalina, and he told her he'd adopt Madalina. He says the trust issues only got worse after the Michigan plan didn't materialize.

10:34 a.m.
Detective Gina Patterson with the Cornelius Police Department takes the stand. Patterson says she's familiar with the case and has reviewed available documents related to the investigation.

Jesse Pierre
Palmiter said after Diana was released from jail he came home to see her on their porch. He said she stayed one night and that arrangements have been made for her to stay at hotel

Defense calls Gina Patterson (CorneliusPD)She is the lead detective in investigation

10:42 a.m.
Patterson says the last date she can confirm Madalina was at school was Nov. 21, 2022, the same day she was seen getting off a school bus. Patterson said she continued to question Diana after she claimed to bring the girl to school on Nov. 22. Police later went to Cojocari's home after getting permission from Palmiter.

10:45 a.m.
Patterson says there were bicycles, a dresser and a home office inside when police arrived. She said there were two sofas, a pallet and blue totes or tubs with lids. Patterson testifies that investigators looked in the bins and found children's clothes, electronics and other household items.

She says detectives found notebooks with passwords, a work time log, as well as various names and phone numbers. She testifies that Palmiter said he needs to "write things down" to remember.

10:52 a.m.
Patterson confirms that investigators searched Diana Cojocari's car. Inside they found Madalina's notebook, a truancy packet from Bailey Middle School, receipts from Western Union wire transfers and a road atlas. The state shows a screenshot from inside Cojocari's car with items filling the front seat and rear cargo area.

e3b8bebd-3034-40e9-adb4-c9a5d7def71d_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Cornelius Police Department

The rear of the vehicle has cat food, a Chick-fil-A bag, a backpack and cooler.
ac3dd849-ed42-4198-9a3a-61d8a91f595c_1140x641.jpg

10:57 a.m.
Patterson says investigators found Wells Fargo receipts in the kitchen. They are associated with Diana Cojocari's debit card. The receipts are from Dec. 13-15, 2022.

The defense then presents receipts showing Diana Cojocari was sending large amounts of money to relatives in Moldova. One receipt shows a transaction of $3,000 on Dec. 13, 2022. Patterson testifies that detectives found "about" $7,500 in Cojocari's purse. She also had passports in her purse that were connected to Moldova and Romania.

e94d9135-92b3-47de-b42b-95f1dd8de560_1140x641.jpg

This photo shows the contents of Diana Cojocari's purse, including thousands of dollars in cash and multiple passports.

If DC had some sort of network capable of whisking MC away and hiding her such that no trace of her has been found, do you all suppose she'd still be staying at CP's house after her release from jail? If she's going to be deported anyway, wouldn't she just jump on a plane to Moldova, where her daughter is safe and happy? No sense in testifying against CP if she can simply join her daughter and resume their life.

If DC had some sort of network capable of whisking MC away and hiding her such that no trace of her has been found, do you all suppose she'd still be staying at CP's house after her release from jail? If she's going to be deported anyway, wouldn't she just jump on a plane to Moldova, where her daughter is safe and happy? No sense in testifying against CP if she can simply join her daughter and resume their life.
Perhaps she knows some people through her religion and had been visiting them in the mountains. I could imagine there are a few satellites of believers.

But i am not convinced completely by him either. I understand the gradual decline and things spiralling with her mental health and him losing touch with reality.

i dont understand how he could just go along when madalina is not around. What a dysfunctional place for this sweet hirl to grow up in.

I imagine being in DCs position is not easy- being a foreigner myself and not in my native lang i could understand someone stuck at home and with the influence of those practices could go a little sideways. But it is too exagerated to believe he was so passive and sad for little madalina

From today’s testimony above:

Palmiter says there were "trust issues" in 2022. He testifies that a plan to get Madalina and Diana to Michigan didn't materialize. Palmiter says when that plan fell apart, Diana stopped trusting him. Palmiter says Diana asked him if something happened to her what would happen to Madalina, and he told her he'd adopt Madalina. He says the trust issues only got worse after the Michigan plan didn't materialize.

IMO there’s something concerning in that exchange. What did Diana think about CP’s statement that he’d adopt Madalina if something happened to her in light of increasing trust issues with him?

Nothing makes sense in this case, even as more information comes out. How was either parent able to function? And what the heck was wrong with CP that he knew Madalina was suddenly absent yet did nothing? She was in the bathroom. No, she was in her room. It’s crazy.

He was upset that he believed Diana was going to leave him. What about Madalina’s disappearance? Where did all that money come from?

Hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t believe Madalina is somewhere safe. MOO

Jesse Pierre
Defense asked Patterson about items found in Diana’s car and purse.Patterson confirmed a western union receipt for $3,000 to Moldova, truancy packet from Bailey middle school and other items like blankets were in Diana’s car

Patterson confirmed $7,500, two passports and the name of a biological cousin who lives in Florida written in a notepad were found in Diana’s purse

11:05 a.m.
The court is taking a 15-minute break.

11:40 a.m.
Court resumes with Patterson back on the stand. She says the Western Union money was sent to Diana Cojocari's mother and a priest, both of whom are in Moldova. She testifies that Diana's mother returned to the U.S. when her daughter was arrested.

11:46 a.m.
Patterson says Diana Cojocari made several trips to western North Carolina between Dec. 2 and possibly Dec. 15, 2022. Cojocari was stopped by a deputy in Madison County and seen on various surveillance videos. Patterson alleges that Cojocari was in the mountains and areas west of Hickory during this time.

11:58 a.m.
The defense shows more receipts to Patterson, including multiple Western Union payments over $2,000 sent by Diana Cojocari to Moldova.

12:03 p.m.
Patterson said the investigation included the use of Cornelius city cameras, which showed Diana in city limits. The department also "got hits" from her car using license plate readers in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area on Interstate 77.

12:07
The state is now asking Patterson questions about Palmiter's 14-hour interview with investigators. The state prosecutor confirmed Palmiter went to the police station December and discussed his cell phones, work laptop and clarified dates.

The state said Palmiter made a statement during that interview claiming he didn’t find out Madalina was missing until a week after he got back from Michigan.

12:10 p.m.
The state's prosecutor said Palmiter made a statement that Diana is a "wholesome, decent" individual. During the interview, Palmiter told Patterson that Diana burned everything with Madalina's face on it, the prosecutor said.

12:13 p.m.

The state said Palmiter claimed Diana was sending money to a priest.

The state prosecutor noted Madalina was not in any of the surveillance video of Diana in Madison County. Patterson said she agreed.

Palmiter had several explanations, even claiming Madalina could have possibly been kidnapped, the state said.

Wow! The evidence is convincing me DC was planning on making an escape with Madalina. I really never believed that until now. And...where the heck was DC getting all that cash?

Or, did DC plant all that stuff in her car as false evidence after Madalina disappeared?

Last edited:

12:03 p.m.
Patterson said the investigation included the use of Cornelius city cameras, which showed Diana in city limits. The department also "got hits" from her car using license plate readers in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area on Interstate 77.

12:07
The state is now asking Patterson questions about Palmiter's 14-hour interview with investigators. The state prosecutor confirmed Palmiter went to the police station December and discussed his cell phones, work laptop and clarified dates.

The state said Palmiter made a statement during that interview claiming he didn’t find out Madalina was missing until a week after he got back from Michigan.

12:10 p.m.
The state's prosecutor said Palmiter made a statement that Diana is a "wholesome, decent" individual. During the interview, Palmiter told Patterson that Diana burned everything with Madalina's face on it, the prosecutor said.

12:13 p.m.

The state said Palmiter claimed Diana was sending money to a priest.

The state prosecutor noted Madalina was not in any of the surveillance video of Diana in Madison County. Patterson said she agreed.

Palmiter had several explanations, even claiming Madalina could have possibly been kidnapped, the state said.
DC burning things with Madalina's face on it sounds very much like a religious thing. Although I have no idea what it might mean.

Wow! The evidence is convincing me DC was planning on making an escape with Madalina. I really never believed that until now. And...where the heck was DC getting all that cash?
Stealing it from her ridiculously passive husband, apparently.

Although, I'm not convinced she was planning on any kind of "escape". Seems to me she had it pretty good (financially) right where she was.

12:15 p.m.
The defense asked if Patterson believed Palmiter was being sincere during the interview with investigators at the police station. She said, at that time, it would be hard to say. Patterson said she did not know whether or not Palmiter was trying to help.

12:20 p.m.
Palmiter's lawyer told the judge he will not call Diana to take the stand. Diana, who is Madalina's mother, will be released from her subpoena and will not testify.

The session will now break until 1:45 p.m. Palmiter's brother, Paul, is set to testify next.

12:15 p.m.
The defense asked if Patterson believed Palmiter was being sincere during the interview with investigators at the police station. She said, at that time, it would be hard to say. Patterson said she did not know whether or not Palmiter was trying to help.

12:20 p.m.
Palmiter's lawyer told the judge he will not call Diana to take the stand. Diana, who is Madalina's mother, will be released from her subpoena and will not testify.

The session will now break until 1:45 p.m. Palmiter's brother, Paul, is set to testify next.
Her testimony would have been interesting but I think CP's brother's will be even more interesting. I'll assume this is the family member where the secret phone recording was alleged by DC.

Or, did DC plant all that stuff in her car as false evidence after Madalina disappeared?
I agree that it sounds as if DC was planning an escape -- and I HOPE it was with Madalina -- but at this point, I'm not sure whether to think it would be with Madalina or would be a solo escape.

Ummmm….wow!

Burning anything with Madalina’s face on it?

Burning her bed?

Sending her husband to Michigan over Thanksgiving to get Madalina’s clothes? Why didn’t they go together and who makes that kind of URGENT drive to get a child’s clothing?

Could DC have sacrificed Madalina in some kind of religious fervour?

Who are these people?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back