NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just catching up again but a RETIREMENT ACCOUNT? I've seen a lot of sketchy things in my career but I've never seen someone threatened or murdered over some mutual funds you can't even access until you turn 63 and you have to pay income tax on the money.

I think DC is nuts and maybe this was part of some paranoid delusion. Every public school teacher and nurse has a union retirement account with their spouse/kids/family member named as beneficiary.

Sept 19

NewsNation) — Last November, a North Carolina girl got off her school bus and vanished. The case has had many twists and turns, but as the anniversary of her disappearance approaches, there are still no answers to what happened to Madalina Cojocari.

Police in Cornelius, North Carolina, have been searching for Madalina for more than nine months. Her mother and stepfather have been charged with failing to report her missing because they waited three weeks before filing a police report. That report came only after the girl’s school demanded to see her.

Since NewsNation last reported on Madalina’s case, unsealed warrants have revealed new details about her mother’s trips to the mountains of Western North Carolina, recorded jail calls discussing bags of money, potential sightings of Madalina and a distant relative appearing in theories about the case.

We will be discussing this case in a livestream at 1 p.m. ET Thursday. Join the conversation by submitting a question on this page, and we’ll answer it during the stream!

“We’ll do anything and everything we can do to draw attention to this case so that we can hopefully find the information that we need to lead us to her,” said Cornelius Police Department Chief David Baucom.

In an exclusive interview with NewsNation, Baucom talked about the efforts to bring Madalina home.

“I can say with confidence that we have followed up on hundreds of leads and spent thousands of man-hours between our agency and all of our partner agencies,” he said.

Baucom has pledged his department won’t give up on the search.

“I’m confident we will solve this case, and we will find Madalena,” he said.

Diana Cojocari remains in jail, with a bond set at $250,000.

Last edited:
In the latest development, two conflicting theories have begun to emerge about what happened to Madalina.

Brandon Roseman, Palmiter’s attorney, says his client has cooperated with police and believes Diana is hiding her daughter away.

“He told police on several occasions that he believes that Diana had taken Madalina somewhere into the mountains,” Roseman said. “He told detectives specifically that he believes Diana took her somewhere and that she is safe.”

Palmiter says Diana believed that he was putting Madalina in danger by naming her as a beneficiary on an investment account.

“In these interviews he gave to police, he’s adamant that he does not believe Diana harmed Madalina. He believes that Diana fervently believes that Madalina is in danger from some unknown third party, apparently related to him placing money and assigning benefits to her in a 401K account, something that doesn’t make any sense,” Roseman said.

On Dec. 16, 2022, a woman reported seeing a girl resembling Madalina with a male companion at a Lowes grocery store in Sugar Mountain, North Carolina.

“There was a possible sighting at the Lowes Foods here in Sugar Mountain. We were able to track down video-still footage of that and forwarded that to Cornelius,” said Sugar Mountain Police Department Chief Casey Turbyfill.

Police said the sighting, along with another one in California, did not turn out to be Madalina.

So police did follow up on the alleged sightings of Madalina and it wasn’t her.

Each parent claims the other took Madalina. I don’t believe either of them. JMO

I don't believe anything the parents have said. The hiding or smuggling of Madalina to safety is merely a diversion from the truth. There has been no proof of life of Madalina. Likely she has not been alive since the Thanksgiving holiday of 2022 and the parents alone are responsible. IMO

I've come back to this bizarre case after listening to "And Then They Were Gone" 22 April podcast thinking that it was out of date and something substantial could have come out in the media since then. I was surprised to find out we are coming up on the one year mark and in the same basic spot where we were in Dec 2022. I only read about this case briefly in the beginning believing LE would solve it. Now I'm really shocked after coming back.

IMO, yes, DC is totally nuts. Bonkers. Crazy as a loon. And once you say that, then all the unexplainable things become explainable. Because then they don't need a rational explanation. Because then you can understand that whatever happened to Madalina, her mother thought it was in her best interests. Sadly though, that could include killing little Madalina, IMO.

IMO, yes, DC is totally nuts. Bonkers. Crazy as a loon. And once you say that, then all the unexplainable things become explainable. Because then they don't need a rational explanation. Because then you can understand that whatever happened to Madalina, her mother thought it was in her best interests. Sadly though, that could include killing little Madalina, IMO.
That is one possibility, I guess. The problem is that there are so many disjointed pieces - enough so that it seems to defy a simple explanation. A mother doing what she feels is in the child's best interest certainly doesn't automatically make her crazy. Just protective.
And we still have no actual proof that MC has been killed. Nor do we know that even if that is the case, that DC is the responsible party. So this rationale seems to be largely an assumption.
There are a number of possibilities, so we shouldn't be so hasty as to assume this is all on DC. It might be, but it might not be. I prefer to reserve judgment on that. We also have to remember that DC is from a different culture. And the fact that the marriage between DC and CP seems to be, at least in part, one of convenience.
I just don't think we have enough facts, even now, to make a firm determination of either what happened or where the fault lies. The only thing that seems to be certain is that neither of them has told everything they know. Or at least not that has been released to the public.
In what little LE has released, I don't think insanity has been mentioned as a possibility. That is, beyond the fact that the whole case is bizarre.
So I keep checking in here to see if any new details have emerged that would bring the facts into more focus. And I remain uncertain as to which one of them - or both, for that matter (or even neither, though that seems unlikely) - is/are really responsible for the disappearance of MC.

Yep, we haven’t been told much so far. My best amateur guess is that Madalina is no longer with us, and that the parents are both deeply involved. And that each of them then floated their own murky, alternative stories to blame the other and also make it seem plausible that Madalina might still out there alive somewhere. Which of course they would do, since otherwise they face life in prison. MOO

Last edited:
October 30, 2023

No confirmation on identity of remains.

MARSHALL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hunters in the Pisgah National Forest made a grizzly discovery Saturday when they happened upon some human remains.

Stackhouse Road is not far from Lonesome Mountain Road, which is a spot deputies previously saw Diana Cojocari, the mother of missing 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari.

October 30, 2023

No confirmation on identity of remains.

MARSHALL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hunters in the Pisgah National Forest made a grizzly discovery Saturday when they happened upon some human remains.

Stackhouse Road is not far from Lonesome Mountain Road, which is a spot deputies previously saw Diana Cojocari, the mother of missing 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari.

Oh no... Please don't let it be her. I pray that she's alive.

" spokesperson for the police department said that while the newly uncovered remains had not yet been identified, early indications pointed to them belonging to an older man."

Praying and remaining hopeful that this is not Madalina. Authorities have provided a new statement that there is currently nothing to indicate who the remains belong to. The FBI is leading the investigation as the remains were found on Federally owned land.

October 30, 2023

There were questions as to whether the discovery could be tied to the case of missing Cornelius girl Madalina Cojocari.

Madalina Cojocari’s mother was possibly seen in Madison County at one point. According to a source, there is currently nothing to indicate the remains are those of the missing girl.

" spokesperson for the police department said that while the newly uncovered remains had not yet been identified, early indications pointed to them belonging to an older man."
Yes, I'm replying to my own post. Just wanted to say that I hope information on Identification comes quickly.

Just wondering if there would be any likelihood of the authorities floating misinformation about the true nature of the body that was found. If it would be possible that they’d say early indications were that it was an older man if they knew it was actually a girl, for any reason.

I do not recall ever hearing of this or seeing it on any of the true crime shows though, so y’all should probably just ignore me. :)

Last edited:
One thing that has always stood out to me about this case are the photos of Madalina. All the cute clothes and hair bows, toys and recreational settings portray a well cared for and cherished child. It’s jarring, next to the knowledge that she went missing and her parents failed to report it in any sane time interval etc. It’s like the photos and disappearance just don’t jibe. Anyone have thoughts on that? MOO

It's very jarring and strange. What aren't the parents telling us? Or do they each suspect each other? But if so, why are they telling all they know? It's just so weird.
I think she did something to her when CP was away.
I think she lied to CP about what she did, and he blew it off since Madalina is her kid and not his.
Then when the authorities came around she started lying to them, repeatedly, about where Madalina was.

jmo

Since I seem to be on a roll with random thoughts tonight and the body found was possibly of an older man, wondering if anyone’s seen the stepfather lately. I don’t think there have been any news updates on him since around the was released on bond, which was on August 18.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98
Back