GUILTY NC - Man took family to lunch, left table and drove car into restaurant, killing 2, May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another month has passed - wondering if you check again @SeesSeas - TIA! :)
I don't find any recent updated news and still can't find an upcoming court date.

June 6th article:
Man accused of driving into Bessemer City restaurant, killing 2 indicted for murder

Updated: Jun 6, 2018 - 2:43 PM
His next court date has not been scheduled.

Inmate page is the same, with court date still listed as 5/21/2018:
Inmate Summary - Self, Roger Glenn

Charge Description Offense Date Docket Number Sentence Date Disposition Sentence Length Crime Class Court Date
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56002 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56003 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM

Guessing there is nothing new after 5 months of psych evaluations....

Still no update to Gaston County Inmate Search which lists Roger Glenn Self at the county main jail:
Housing Facility Gaston County Jail -Main

I find Roger Self here:

VINELink
Offender Name:SELF, ROGER
Custody Status:In Custody
Reason:Department of Public Safety
Race:White
Contact Facility:North Carolina Department of Public Safety

NC DPS: Community Corrections
The mission of Community Corrections is to protect the safety of citizens in communities throughout the state by providing viable alternatives and meaningful supervision to offenders on probation, parole or post-release supervision.

News reported May 25th:

Roger Self moved to Central Prison
Roger Glenn Self, 62, was taken to Central Prison in Raleigh on Wednesday for “safekeeping,” according to North Carolina Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins.

bumpitupbump_zpslfblvcp8.gif

Hey me again!

I'm going to be going through all my "oldie" cases that I haven't heard anything about in quite some time.
I hope someone can help me with these.
I'm going to call on
@JerseyGirl, @cybervampira, @SeesSeas, @MsMarple, @mistivon

No access to this court site.
Hope you all don't mind me tagging you! I need HELP!!

Here's what I have:

Monday, May 21st:

*Arrested & Charged – NC – Katelyn Self (26), daughter & Amanda Self (35), daughter-in-law (May 20, 2018, Bessemer City) – *Roger Glenn Self (62) charged (5/20/18) & indicted (6/4/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder after allegedly plowing his Jeep into a restaurant where his family were sitting. Made 1st appearance on 5/21/18, denied bond.
Josh Self (38), his son, was injured and remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18). Roger Self's wife, Diana (53), was also among the injured and she remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18).
Gaston Jail County Global# 317714/can’t access. No update as of 11/4

Do you think he's still be psych examined? 7 months already.

I don't find any update regarding court or confinement.
Interesting 2017 article about Roger Self:

Private Eye work is about getting answers
Posted Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Roger Self doesn’t have a lot of patience, a personality characteristic not typically associated with those in the private investigations field.

Fortunately for the 62-year-old Dallas man, a few strokes of luck and a client base that continues to grow has enabled him to stray from assignments staking out cheating spouses, or employees trying to defraud their bosses on workers’ compensation claims.

“For me, it was horrible,” Self said. “Back in the 80s, I’d sit there for 15 minutes and be ready to go. If nothing’s happening, I’m ready to leave.”

Almost 28 years after a series of speeches connected him with the right people, Self continues to operate Southeastern Loss Management. His operation targets hostile working environments, employees who steal from their companies and sexual harassment claims.

From the force, to a retail shop, to out on his own

A 1973 graduate of North Gaston High, Self joined the Gastonia Police Department two years later, working in investigations. From there, he was hired on at Belk and worked in the retail chain’s regional loss prevention department.
[...]
Self claims to have received more than 5,000 confessions for embezzlement, fraud and other serious crimes.

There is no computer or notebook typically present when Self first begins to talk to employees. He says he pulls a chair up close to them, talks with them and oftentimes gets them to confess to what they’ve done.
[...]

Bumping up for @SeesSeas - how about now - any updates? The inmate site still has 5/21/18 date - !

TIA! :)

Bumping up for @SeesSeas - how about now - any updates? The inmate site still has 5/21/18 date - !

TIA! :)
I don't find ROGER SELF inmate in this database:
North Carolina Department Of Public Safety
NC DPS Offender Public Information

He is listed on VineLink in 2 different places and 2 different Offender ID numbers:
VINELink
Offender Name: SELF, ROGER GLENN
Custody Status: In Custody
Race: White
Contact Facility:
Offender ID: 317714
Date of Birth: 07/11/1955

Offender Name: SELF, ROGER
Custody Status: In Custody
Reason: Department of Public Safety
Race: White
Contact Facility:
Offender ID: 1581753
Date of Birth: 07/11/1955
Date: 05/23/2018

It looks like he'll be back in court:

Roger Self to appear in court

but dang those EU rules.... I can't access it.

@SeesSeas - maybe something on the court site? or a date in the article? TIA! :)
Good find! Finally!
May 11, 2019
Posted at 12:09 PM
Updated at 12:23 PM

The Dallas businessman accused of driving his SUV into a crowded restaurant and killing two of his family members will appear in a Gaston County courtroom Monday.

Roger Self, accused of first-degree murder in the deaths of daughter Katelyn Self and daughter-in-law Amanda Self at Bessemer City’s Surf and Turf Lodge, has been kept in Raleigh’s Central Prison for most of the time since the May 20, 2018, killings. North Carolina Department of Public Safety spokesman Jerry Higgins indicated the transfer was for “safekeeping.”

District Attorney Locke Bell said the purpose of the hearing will be to serve Self with two outstanding grand jury indictments each for attempted first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. Self’s wife, Dianne, and son, Gaston County Police officer Josh Self, were hurt in the incident.

The grand jury indicted him on those charges in June 2018, but Self hasn’t returned to be served the indictments.
[...]
Self is scheduled to stand trial for their deaths in February 2020, according to court documents.

https://vinelink.vineapps.com/login/NC
ROGER GLENN SELF
Custody Record
Age63
GenderMale
RaceWhite
NC: Gaston County Sheriff's Office
ID Number317714
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody DetailGaston County Jail

This Gaston County link still has OLD Court Date information:

Demographic Information
  • Name Self, Roger Glenn
  • Global Subject Number 317714
  • Date of Birth 7/11/1955
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Height 5' 7"
  • Weight 150.0 lbs
  • Address DALLAS, North Carolina 28034
  • Aliases
Booking History
2018-00005469

• Booking Date 5/20/2018 6:59 PM
  • Release Date
  • Prisoner Type Pretrial
  • Housing Facility Gaston County Jail -Main
  • Total Bond Amount $0.00
  • Total Bail Amount $0.00
  • Booking Origin Bessemer City Police Dept.
Charge Description Offense Date Docket Number Disposition Crime Class Court Date
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM18CR56002 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM18CR56003 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM

Monday, May 13th:
*Preliminary hearing (@ am ET) – NC – Katelyn Self (26), daughter & Amanda Self (35), daughter-in-law (May 20, 2018, Bessemer City) – *Roger Glenn Self (62) arrested & charged (5/20/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder (after allegedly plowing his Jeep into a restaurant where his family were sitting) & assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.
Josh Self (38), his son, was injured and remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18). Roger Self's wife, Diana (53), was also among the injured and she remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18).
5/21/18: Made 1st appearance, denied bond. Next appearance on 5/13/19 to serve Self 2 grand jury indictments (issued 6/4/18) each for attempted first-degree murder & assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. Trial is scheduled for Feb. 2020.

Man who drove car into restaurant, killing family members faces additional charges

BESSEMER CITY, NC (WBTV) - A man accused of plowing into a Gaston County restaurant killing two and injuring multiple family members in May 2018 appeared in court Monday to be served with additional charges.
[......]
Roger Self, who was previously charged with two counts of first degree murder charges, was served Monday with two counts of attempted first degree murder and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflict serious injury charges. Those charges relate to Self’s wife Diane and son, Josh.

and of course, no next court date in article....

Video at this link includes portion of hearing; no discussion of court dates:
Gaston County's Roger Self chokes back tears while pleading not guilty to murder charges
Posted May 13, 2019 at 3:32 PM
A well-known Gaston County man accused of killing two family members and injuring two others last May appeared to fight back tears as a prosecutor read the charges against him in court Monday.

More than a dozen members of Roger Glenn Self’s family attended the brief procedural hearing that lasted less than 10 minutes.

Self, wearing an orange Gaston County Jail jumpsuit and shackles around his hands and feet, appeared to mouth the words “I love you” to his family members as he left the courtroom. Several of Self’s family members and supporters left court in tears.

The hearing was held to allow the 63-year-old Self to enter formal pleas to the two counts of first-degree murder he faces as well as four additional charges a grand jury indicted him on back in June.
[...]

The Gaston Gazette
Published on May 13, 2019
Roger Self in court Monday afternoon at the Gaston County Courthouse to face additional charges from the May 2018 incident where he drove his SUV into a Bessemer City restaurant killing his daughter and daughter-in-law.

4 new charges for Bessemer City man accused of plowing into restaurant, killing family
Posted May 13 2019 08:48PM EDT
Video Posted May 13 2019 05:28PM EDT
Updated May 14 2019 12:26PM EDT

GASTONIA, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) - A double murder suspect accused of killing two of his family members broke down crying in court on Monday.
[...]
Roger Self’s attorney says he’s being held under a $1 million dollar bond. It’s unclear if he’ll remain in jail in Raleigh.

He was being held there in a place that specializes in mental health needs for inmates, according to a state official.

The Gaston County District Attorney says he’s aiming for a trial date for Roger Self in February 2020.

@SeesSeas - me again! :D

Anything new on court dates?
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif
12/25/2019
Christmas Day! I didn't think court was ever scheduled on a holiday, except for emergency or mandatory hearings!

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html
NORTH CAROLINA JUDICIAL BRANCH
Court County Defendant Date of Birth Court Date Court Room Session Case Number
Superior GASTON SELF,ROGER,GLENN 07/11 12/25/2019 004C AM 18CRS003632
Superior GASTON SELF,ROGER,GLENN 07/11 12/25/2019 004C AM 18CRS003633
Superior GASTON SELF,ROGER,GLENN 07/11 12/25/2019 004C AM 18CRS003634
Superior GASTON SELF,ROGER,GLENN 07/11 12/25/2019 004C AM 18CRS003635

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors