Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wholeheartedly agree. Mariah was always beautifully dressed and meticulously groomed. The Mom was so very active in all the pictures with her children. They don't look or act (at least on fb) like drug addicts, IMHO. I sure could be wrong, but I was thinking about the little girl years ago now, in TX, I believe, who disappeared. Can't recall if she got out of the house or if the monster came in and got her while they slept, but they found her handprint INSIDE his camper trailer and later found her little body in the dump. He was a well to do engineer and their trusted neighbor, as I recall. Can't remember her name. You never know who could be watching your children, that's for sure. Praying they find her soon.

I remember that well, as one of my friend's was studying for her PhD in forensic entomology at the Univ of Florida and they helped determine time of death by the blowfly life cycle. That was so horrible, that case. It was in California. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Danielle_van_Dam

Maybe a stupid question, but at this point if Mariah is deceased her face should still be recognizable. Would that not be enough to make a positive id?

Good point. As I say, I honestly don't know how often relatives are asked to ID in cases like this.

I can't imagine putting a person through that in this day and age, but that's just me. You're probably correct that the cases I'm basing those things on may well be those with bodies found after weeks or where there is difficulty making a visual ID for some other reason.

I find it very odd that the sheriff said he doesn't know where the parents are. Does it mean they are not in any way suspected by LE?

And shouldn't the parents always be around, helping with the search?

Also, if the parents are not present how will they be notified if little Mariah is found?

Or am I taking this all the wrong way, somehow.

:thinking:

Has there been any confirmation that the trip to KY actually happened? If the trip occurred, did all five of them go?

Wanted to provide a little info re Medical Examiner in this area. There isn’t a labeled ME vehicle like in other areas. Pediatric forensic cases would be sent to a different county for exam, and if called to the scene, the ME would arrive in a personal vehicle. Also, ME cases are transported via ambulance here.

Hi and welcome! I'm also in rural SE NC. Things really are different here versus other parts of the country. It is very rural and counties don't have the resources or services that most people 'expect'.

The press conference and media coverage is pretty typical for the area. People here don't easily give information and they tend to use diversion rather than answering uncomfortable questions. LE are pretty tight-lipped and don't share with the public.

Small towns don't have local media coverage so a lot of 'info' is passed by word of mouth. Basically a rumor mill with no official way to get to the true facts. It's a way of life.

I find it very odd that the sheriff said he doesn't know where the parents are. Does it mean they are not in any way suspected by LE?

Also, if the parents are not present how will they be notified if little Mariah is found?

JMO, but he literally stumbled over that answer. It was as if he decided to change his answer he was about to give to a "literal" answer, meaning that at that particular second, he "literally" did not know their "exact" location.

Has there been any confirmation that the trip to KY actually happened? If the trip occurred, did all five of them go?
No. It has not been confirmed. A friend of the family mentioned it in a media interview and it was never brought up again.

I think he was just trying to avoid discussing them. I wouldn't read too much into that answer. I'm confident he knows exactly where they are. A friend of mine is married to an officer. She said that when a child is missing, an officer (or more than one) or someone from le is with the family 24/7 until the child is found. I asked about cases where it's drawn out such as Kyron, and she said at some point it will taper off, but definitely the first week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think this is his first “big” case and with the FBI standing beside him he didn’t want to say the wrong thing or give away too much. The FBI spokesperson stepped in quickly to clear up his comments. Hoping the FBI conducts pressers in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is partly why I asked about the use of Family Liaison Officers in the US. They would often serve multiple purposes, one is to stay with the family and help keep them calm, be a go-between who can provide information to the family from LE and also the other way around. Having a Family Liaison Officer with the family also means that they know where the relatives are if there's a need to impart good or bad news fast ...which is another reason why LE won't want the parents out searching. The parents can assist LE much better by being in a particular place with the FLO, with close friends/relatives for support, so that this bilateral information flow can occur smoothly and efficiently. This is not a missing cat or dog, this is not a child that's not home ten minutes past their dinnertime.

But it's up to a family if they will accept the presence of the FLO, where one is offered. And if the parents are not under arrest then they are free to go anywhere they want in the interim. It's in their own best interests to make sure someone in LE does know where they are and how to contact them at all times in case the news they are waiting for turns up.

Did they give a time for the next presser? I have been popping in and out. TIA

JMO, but he literally stumbled over that answer. It was as if he decided to change his answer he was about to give to a "literal" answer, meaning that at that particular second, he "literally" did not know their "exact" location.

I think he was just trying to avoid discussing them. I wouldn't read too much into that answer. I'm confident he knows exactly where they are. A friend of mine is married to an officer. She said that when a child is missing, an officer (or more than one) or someone from le is with the family 24/7 until the child is found. I asked about cases where it's drawn out such as Kyron, and she said at some point it will taper off, but definitely the first week.

Thanks! So he didn't want the media and public to know, possibly.

This is partly why I asked about the use of Family Liaison Officers in the US. They would often serve multiple purposes, one is to stay with the family and help keep them calm, be a go-between who can provide information to the family from LE and also the other way around. Having a Family Liaison Officer with the family also means that they know where the relatives are if there's a need to impart good or bad news fast ...which is another reason why LE won't want the parents out searching. The parents can assist LE much better by being in a particular place with the FLO, with close friends/relatives for support, so that this bilateral information flow can occur smoothly and efficiently. This is not a missing cat or dog, this is not a child that's not home ten minutes past their dinnertime.

But it's up to a family if they will accept the presence of the FLO, where one is offered. And if the parents are not under arrest then they are free to go anywhere they want in the interim. It's in their own best interests to make sure someone in LE does know where they are and how to contact them at all times in case the news they are waiting for turns up.
I think family liason officer is what my friend said! Thanks, I couldn't remember the title [emoji4]

It is pretty strange though that no family has been on air today pleading for information don't ya think?

Saw someone else post about this and had to see for myself if it came up when googled. It did. The story doesn't match the Headline.Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 5.29.21 PM.png

Saw someone else post about this and had to see for myself if it came up when googled. It did. The story doesn't match the Headline.
attachment.php

Can't find any news article inside the web page with that title. That's weird

Saw someone else post about this and had to see for myself if it came up when googled. It did. The story doesn't match the Headline.
attachment.php

It could just be that the headline was being prepared in anticipation of that being what LE would announce in the presser, and someone had a bit of trigger finger hitting 'send' on the headline.

As for the hospital stuff, I was wondering if it was just people putting 2 and 2 together due to the ambulance that went down High Hill Road earlier. I think that was said to be only a precautionary backup for the LE/searchers in the pond, but a lot of people would have been making assumptions from the sight of the ambulance. Incorrect rumor seems to spread a lot faster and further than correct rumor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966