Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been quietly following along. I did want to jump in to do my devil's advocate thing regarding the Sheriff's "I don't know where the parents are" remark. Perhaps he's saying that out of disappointment in the parents..

I do think they must know more than what's being said and want to gather more information. The request for anyone that's seen the family members prior to Sunday worries me; I so want Mariah to be okay.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nobody thinks it strange that there were all these live feeds with major activity this morning and now there's nothing? is it just because it's later in the day?

With it being the holidays when Mariah disappeared, it's possible no one outside the home saw any of them. Especially if they were away from the home earlier, traveling to home, and then unpacking once home. There's days when my husband is the only person I see...

But IMO it is very telling that the public isn't in danger. And that speech about spending time with your kids, supervise your kids, I wonder if LE believes something happened while the children were neglected?

If this family was traveling for the Holiday wouldn't LE ask for details about that trip so they could follow up with let's say restaurants, gas stations, rest stops where video can confirm their presence?? Like they started from point A and by point C (gas station video) there are no longer any sightings of Mariah being with the family.... Or just that they are trying to tighten up the mom and bf's story with the timeline....

I'm still struggling with the Sheriff not knowing where the parents are, so I wondered. If for example a body was found and the you were suspected of causing the death, would you be asked to formally identify the body? I would have thought they'd ask someone else?

I'm still struggling with the Sheriff not knowing where the parents are, so I wondered. If for example a body was found and the you were suspected of causing the death, would you be asked to formally identify the body? I would have thought they'd ask someone else?

Maybe the bio father?

Maybe the bio father?
That's what I was thinking. Maybe she has been found, but aren't saying due to not having anyone they can rely on to formally identify her? Maybe waiting on the father, isn't he much further away?

Very true but they sometimes go on scene to examine and document injuries, wounds, (as that may come up in court later) determine identity and sometimes collect remains/body.

Exactly. I would have thought the ME (or their representative) would have a different role from the crime scene investigator, because one would be to document the scene and everything in proximity, and the other would be there to certify that the body goes to the morgue and not a hospital, that remains are likely to be human, and to give an approximate age/sex if possible for the police to get an idea if this is the person they're looking for.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe she has been found, but aren't saying due to not having anyone they can rely on to formally identify her? Maybe waiting on the father, isn't he much further away?

Not to be morbid, but if they already got dental records then they wouldn't need a family member to identify her. I would assume that they would still need to notify both parents, even if they suspect one, before letting the media know.

wouldn't they use the identification of a body to trigger an emotional response/confession from the parents?

Not to be morbid, but if they already got dental records then they wouldn't need a family member to identify her. I would assume that they would still need to notify both parents, even if they suspect one, before letting the media know.

She just turned 3, and while she should have been to the dentist by now, I'd be very surprised to find out she has been. JMO

Thanks again for that. I have no problem at all with the presser or how it was handled. They seemed patient and answered what they could. The supposed "laugh" or "giggle" didn't amount to anything rude or flippant in my opinion. It was barely audible. It was very brief. And it just seems like that's a mannerism of the sheriff. Men of a certain era and age sometimes preface comments with a small laugh that doesn't indicate humor but rather is just quirk of speech. Some people do that when faced with an uncomfortable question or just when they need time to think. Sometimes that's nothing more than an age thing. I've seen/heard that from older men in several interviews in documentaries or news pieces, etc.

Seems like theyre doing a great, thorough job, know what they're doing and are trying hard to give us as much info as they can without compromising the case.

The plea for locals to search their properties was a great one.

No complaints from me!

I don't know for sure, but I would expect identification to be preliminary at the beginning and based on appearance -- approx 3-yr old female found in x clothing and with blond/brown hair, and then ask the parents to identify any clothing found with the body. Ask for dental records and use them for confirmation of ID, and failing that, then it would probably go to DNA for identity, which could take weeks or months. I can't see them asking a parent/relative to go in to ID a body (if one is found). I don't know how often a relative does get asked to go in for ID confirmation in real life, but I've never heard of a missing/deceased person in these circumstances ID'd that way?

What often happens is that LE will report that a body has been found and next of kin notified of the find, but no confirmation of ID. At a later point they would likely say that the identity is likely to be the missing person based on something like clothing being consistent with what the misper was wearing at the time they disappeared. But official ID often has to wait if it can't be confirmed during autopsy.

She just turned 3, and while she should have been to the dentist by now, I'd be very surprised to find out she has been. JMO

Good point. All we can do now is hope they find her alive and the question of identifying her never comes up.

I don't think they are under any requirement to tell the public anything. Finding the body may trigger a confession. Look what happened with Lisa Irwin - no body no charges. This is a tricky situation and they will have to get the mom to stop covering for the bf, or vice versa. I'm sure they have to have them separately identify the body without much notice to see an emotional response. I think it makes total sense to keep everything under wraps for now. They may need to assess physical evidence to confront the parents about how she died and what evidence may tie them to it.

I think we knew that already.

I heard the PC yesterday and this wasn't brought up at all, so no we more likely assumed in our own minds that they don't have to go far to find Mariah or who committed this crime.....

He's local, as in same county but not same town.

I just started following last night. Had the children been removed from her care in the past?

CPS/DSS removed them from mom to bio dad’s care for about a month last year while abuse allegations were investigated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member