Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
zelda you make an excellent point. she "disappeared" then two days after it was reported, a possible sighting 42 miles away? that's enough to spook anyone watching volunteers scramble the local woods.

if the long arm of the law could extend to morehead city that early on...if i had any information withheld, i'd speak up simply out of fear...

hm...haven't had a post make me think this deep in a while...

Thanks, Rabbit. I think I'm blushing a little.

It's ironic that I forgot about this because the Walmart pic story is how i got wind of Mariah's fate while browsing national news. It had already been established that it was not Mariah.

If LE was already suspicious of the abduction story, could they have allowed the sighting story to run as a way to gauge the reaction of the POIs. A la Laura Wallin's case where her murderer was called on to do a press conference with the grieving parents (with their knowledge of LEs tactic).

If they were already suspicious, a sweet little blonde with a limp spotted 42 miles away was a gift they never could've seen coming. Or is it only on Law and Order and my wild imagination where the cop would be immediately suspicious of mom's reaction to hearing of a possible sighting. Maybe they wouldn't even inform family until they had a more solid identification.

I'm just picturing them showing mom a picture and mom not showing enough interest in whether or not she's looking at a grainy shot of her missing but as yet presumed alive baby.

I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

I'm not even clear if EK told Mariah to go back to bed. Maybe it was KW that was told to go back to bed and he would deal with Mariah.
IMO

I'm not even clear if EK told Mariah to go back to bed. Maybe it was KW that was told to go back to bed and he would deal with Mariah.
IMO

Yes. That is what I thought at first. Then I thought maybe I misunderstood.

I thought I read or heard they were out till midnight sorry I have no idea where I read that or it may have even been on Nancy Grace's podcast, don't quote me on that I did a binge listen to her show last night

KW REALLY makes me mad with her lack of glasses and makeup. Does she think she is America’s Next Top Model? Sorry, not sorry.. she, to me, is so narcissistic to worry about her appearance when her baby is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, It could be possible that the FBI was assisting her in what to say and to look freshened up. The FBI is called in on all missing children cases and IIRC they do act as a family liaison with the media as well.

Meaning, the FBI could have told her to wipe her face and put on some makeup and look put together, to plead to a potential kidnapper as someone that they would look at and see as capable of caring for the child in hopes of a safe return.

Another thing, she may have went to bed the night before with her makeup still on. OR, she may have permanent makeup (tattoos) this is becoming a very popular and inexpensive option, including things such as brows, eyeliner and I believe even shadow, and lip color. I can't recall if she appeared to have lashes on, but if so, MANY women are paying to have extensions or dying done as the price is pretty darned good and saves a busy mom a bunch of steps in getting ready for the day.

It's rather likely that the salon that dyes her hair, would offer some of these services. And, just because you have it done, doesn't mean it is done well. Sometimes, you get exactly what you pay for.

I know people are dissecting why she said what she said and looked how she looked, but the FBI may have given her very clear instructions as to what to say in her plea for Mariah's return. Therefore, IMO, since we don't know for a fact that these are her own words, we can't really judge her for what she did or did not say.

ALL JMO

Yes, I don't think this was ever intended to be a search for a 3 year old child that had wandered off in the middle of the night, knowing her difficulty walking and the braces left behind. Almost from the beginning, it was an abduction and why wasn't KW pleading for whoever had her to return her? As you noted, switching the focus back on herself (having her tubes tied) may have backfired. MOO

Tie that in with her appeals and she knew Mariah was dead too, IMO.

Some may not have thought she knew Mariah was dead from her words, but in hindsight? I think it's obvious she was talking about a dead child, just from the absence of any signs of panic, and not once uttering a word about what Mariah was experiencing. She was only thinking of her tubes and wanting people to know she could not sleep. What about little toddler Mariah, crying for her, being trafficked, being scared, not being looked after, being cold, hungry, hurt, alone wandering in the cold or dark. All these things a mother wouldn't be able to suppress, it would be written on her (made-up) face even if she didn't voice it.

IMO

I noticed she does not refer to Mariah in the past tense in any of her interviews.

IMO, It could be possible that the FBI was assisting her in what to say and to look freshened up. The FBI is called in on all missing children cases and IIRC they do act as a family liaison with the media as well.

Meaning, the FBI could have told her to wipe her face and put on some makeup and look put together, to plead to a potential kidnapper as someone that they would look at and see as capable of caring for the child in hopes of a safe return.

Another thing, she may have went to bed the night before with her makeup still on. OR, she may have permanent makeup (tattoos) this is becoming a very popular and inexpensive option, including things such as brows, eyeliner and I believe even shadow, and lip color. I can't recall if she appeared to have lashes on, but if so, MANY women are paying to have extensions or dying done as the price is pretty darned good and saves a busy mom a bunch of steps in getting ready for the day.

It's rather likely that the salon that dyes her hair, would offer some of these services. And, just because you have it done, doesn't mean it is done well. Sometimes, you get exactly what you pay for.

I know people are dissecting why she said what she said and looked how she looked, but the FBI may have given her very clear instructions as to what to say in her plea for Mariah's return. Therefore, IMO, since we don't know for a fact that these are her own words, we can't really judge her for what she did or did not say.

ALL JMO

I don't think she goes to a salon for that hair. She couldn't possibly afford it, for one thing, and it looks like a home dye job, for another.

Yes, I don't think this was ever intended to be a search for a 3 year old child that had wandered off in the middle of the night, knowing her difficulty walking and the braces left behind. Almost from the beginning, it was an abduction and why wasn't KW pleading for whoever had her to return her? As you noted, switching the focus back on herself (having her tubes tied) may have backfired. MOO

The child wandering around in the cold, dark and scared would not ever leave my mind. Brings me chills and is so haunting to think about it. I worry like crazy about my pets being alone, hungry and scared. I cannot imagine a toddler being in that situation. I don't understand KW.

I thought I read or heard they were out till midnight sorry I have no idea where I read that or it may have even been on Nancy Grace's podcast, don't quote me on that I did a binge listen to her show last night

It was Nancy Grace's interview with AW & HC on 12/04/2017 ("Mom's Boyfriend Charged with Dumping . . . "). AW describes the details of the cell phone conversation on speakerphone that "S" shared with them as he was speaking to KW's father beginning at 11:32.

https://rss.art19.com/episodes/e1826b6f-ca57-498d-a7f0-50304004f8c9.mp3

I agree. I have a feeling that evidence that they sent off for testing was something significant like blood stains or something.

We probably will not find out what that evidence was but I suspect it was the key that informed LE that something bad happened to her at the home.

Just some ideas of when they were focusing on different things

Wednesday

The FBI was also seen investigating the shed behind Mariah's home, looking very closing at something on the ground minutes before expanding the crime scene tape to encompass that area.
http://wwmt.com/news/nation-world/w...-conference-on-disappearance-of-nc-3-year-old

Investigators in haz-mat suits have also been searching for evidence at the toddler's home, including going underneath it this morning.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Search-underway-for-missing-toddler-in-Onslow-County-460279893.html

Meanwhile, other investigators were focused on a nearby body of water and abandoned house. At an afternoon press conference, law enforcement officials asked anyone who had come into contact with Mariah's immediate family on Sunday or Monday to call the police. They said it was so they could make a timeline of Mariah's disappearance.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-says-mom-LYING-kidnapping.html#ixzz516BgmCK9

Thursday

Thursday morning the FBI placed globe-looking devices outside the mobile home that took a 360 degree recording of the property.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Search-underway-for-missing-toddler-in-Onslow-County-460279893.html

Meador said several “items of interest” have been taken to Quantico, Virginia for further detailed analysis. Those items, Meador said, were flown to Northern Virginia by a Marine Osprey. Meador would not elaborate on the origin of those items but said they had come from the “ongoing investigation.”
http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...-transported-to-quantico-in-missing-girl-case

Sometimearound 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, officials set up a new crime scene off of Highway17.
A dive team and K-9 unit was brought on scene to continue thesearch.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/local-ne...rch-for-mariah-woods-off-highway-17/665109912

Friday

The FBI also on Friday sent additional items of interest to their lab at Quantico for testing.
http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/coa...items-of-interest--found-in-missing-girl-case

Am I right in thinking Highway17 is in the opposite direction from their home to Maple Hill?

Maybe he disposed of some items in one place to give a false lead.

I have never seen this before:

Wednesday Nov 29th

[FONT=&amp]An Onslow County Sheriff’s Office crime scene investigator wearing a hazmat suit crawled underneath Mariah’s home and the home next door, but nothing was brought out from underneath.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Two law enforcement officers then walked door to door, knocking and talking to neighbors. One neighbor, Kelly Kerr, allowed agents to examine the area beneath her rental property after she and other residents in the home heard a loud sound emanating from their home late Sunday night.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
“It sounded like something hitting a piece of wood real hard,” said Kyle Bonitz, who shares the home with Kerr.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Miller said more dogs were also being added to the search but would not elaborate on what kind of dogs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
“I don’t want to go there,” Miller said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Both the FBI and the OCSO believe the disappearance of Mariah is a “focused incident.”[/FONT]

http://www.arkansasnews.com/zz/news...ah-woods-continues-on-day-3-in-north-carolina

I was trying to find when was the first time they asked for anyone who had contact with the family on Sunday, but it's difficult because they update news reports. It seems by Wednesday they knew there was no danger to the wider community by the wording 'focused incident'.

I have never seen this before:

Wednesday Nov 29th

An Onslow County Sheriff’s Office crime scene investigator wearing a hazmat suit crawled underneath Mariah’s home and the home next door, but nothing was brought out from underneath.

Two law enforcement officers then walked door to door, knocking and talking to neighbors. One neighbor, Kelly Kerr, allowed agents to examine the area beneath her rental property after she and other residents in the home heard a loud sound emanating from their home late Sunday night.
“It sounded like something hitting a piece of wood real hard,” said Kyle Bonitz, who shares the home with Kerr.

Miller said more dogs were also being added to the search but would not elaborate on what kind of dogs.

“I don’t want to go there,” Miller said.

Both the FBI and the OCSO believe the disappearance of Mariah is a “focused incident.”

http://www.arkansasnews.com/zz/news...ah-woods-continues-on-day-3-in-north-carolina

I recognize those names from the baseball bat incident of EK and the van.

So..I totally forgot about the Walmart photo! After I posted, I went on over to the media thread. Did the false sighting cause some if the players to have to change course. Anyone who *knew* she was dead could have not have forseen a credible sighting to happen so quickly. Maybe that is what got a presumably female family member to start talking? When does that sighting fit in the timeline of public interviews and info and arrests?

Wouldn't someone who knew Mariah was dead also know the sighting was not credible?

Uh oh! Something just ran thru my mind. With KW knowing her son had been SA, supposed to be monitored around other children (Mariah being one), allegations of Mariah having been SA by EK, nobody working in that household, do you think they might have been filming and selling child *advertiser censored*? Makes me sick to think about, but ..........

I've wondered this from the beginning because of all the "posed" photos with frilly dresses, bows, etc. It is sick but it also is a sad reality for too many children.

Also, I think most people with 3 yr olds know that you can't just say 'go back to bed' and then the 3 yr old simply turns and goes back to bed, no problem.

You will hear one of several reasons why they cant go back to bed yet---thirsty, hungry, potty time, bad dream, not tired, etc etc...

There is usually a bit of negotiations necessary to get a 3 yr old to return to their bed. A glass of water, a hug, etc.

So I always thought it was weird that he just said ' I told her to go back to bed...' In a normal interaction there would have been mention of her getting a sip of water or using the potty, then going back to bed, in my opinion.

But maybe not in THAT house. I can see a 3 year old's fear being stronger than her wants or needs. How sad is that? Sad too that if she was scared of Earl I can imagine her being somewhat certain that her Mom (KW) wouldn't defend her if she got yelled at or beaten.

THIS IS JMO.

Nice catch! I do believe you are correct about the names in the article matching the van incident.

Great post, Tortoise.

I tried to see if a body of water is near the abandoned house, but didn't see one on Google maps. Of course the vegetation is thick and it can be hard to follow the meandering streams and such. But I wonder if the "nearby body if water" was the hwy 17 sight already Wednesday.

The bridge searches are in opposite directions. I lived just a few roads up from here, so 17 or 53 we're my "main drags" if you will, to get anywhere in town.

I, again, think EK looks like he was crying and base my opinion on him telling some things of evidentiary value that led to his arrest. If he claimed only to remember driving for a long time and turning left and stopping at a bridge to dump her, that statement would've led them to either/both spots. I don't know how many other bridges would fit the bill. And the 17 location is much closer, but if he did happen to go to the abandoned house that night, he may have thought or told the detectives he thought he drove all the way down high hill before turning left on 17. As opposed to down Dawson Cabin to 53 or Haws Run.

All speculation. Maybe it was forensic evidence from Quantico. Who knows. Hope guilty party/parties held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member