GUILTY NC - Mebane, biracial Male Skeletal 437UMNC, 10-12, off I-40, Sep'98- Robert "Bobby" Adam Whitt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found a lone article that says Bobby's fathers name. Would it be against Websleuths policies to post it being it's an on going investigation? Also the other articles state they aren't releasing it yet. Just checking first.

He is in prison in Kentucky. I found a court document from his trial as well. I can post if I'm allowed to.

If you wouldn’t mind I’d like to see that photograph, maybe you could start a conversation with me and send it?

5122373_020519-wtvd-bobby-whitt-myong-whitt-img.jpg

Family had no idea 10-year-old boy, mom had been dead since 1998

Rest in Peace Bobby and Myong

Finally the time has come. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read 'identified'. May the angels fly with you for all eternity, Bobby and Myong.

How many more missing and murdered are out there, so called and presumed to have returned back to their native country?

Timeline:
Jan 7, 1988- Robert "Bobby" Adam is born in Michigan. Sometime later the family moved to Ohio.
Late 1990's/pre May 1998- the family moved from Sardenia, Ohio to Concord, North Carolina.
May 13, 1998- Myong Hwa Cho was found behind a pile of debris off Interstate 85, on Casual Drive, off North Blackstock Road in Spartanburg County, SC. Her cause of death was listed as Respiratory insufficiency and her estimated time of death was hours prior. She had ligature marks from being bound.
September 25 1998- Robert 'Bobby' Adam Whitt was found near a billboard sign along Industrial Drive, which is a service road adjacent to Interstate 85 and Interstate 40, in Mebane, Orange County, North Carolina. His cause of death is listed as homicide by strangulation. His estimated time of death is listed as several months prior- as early as April 1998 (Note: both mother and son were found off the same interstate). At the time he was mistaken to be of hispanic descent.
Sometime after 1998- The father tells relatives him and Myong split up and she took Bobby to her native South Korea.
1999- Bobby's father and Myong's husband pleaded guilty in 1999 to federal charges in North Carolina related to an armed robbery and is serving a prison sentence. He is not eligible for parole until 2037.
2010- Frank Bender does a bust for Mebane doe. It would be his last.
July 2018- Thanks to DNA phenotyping, it was found that Mebane doe was of Asian and European mixed ancestry. His pollen and chemical isotopes placed him as being from the US southeast highlighting Georgia and Alabama. The new findings also determined They determined that he was killed and deposited at the site in June or July of that year.
Dec. 26, 2018- A close relative responds to authorities and gives Bobby's name. Dr. Barbara Rae-Venter (credited with IDing the Golden State Killer) found Bobby's relatives through reviewing his DNA.
Early 2019- Bobby and Myong are identified. With the help of NCMEC they found the Spartinburg SC doe that matched the search criteria. They were matched by DNA.
Feb 5 2019- Bobby and Myong's identifications are released to the media. Articles state the father/husband confessed to the killings last week.

The detective in charge of Bobby's case, Maj. Tim Horne, was very determined to ID him before his retirement. He has been involved from the beginning and even was on the scene when he was found in 1998. It's incredible he got ID'd right when he retired!

"'This has been my child for 20 years,' he said by phone. 'I needed closure also.'"

"Horne also regularly drove by the billboard where the remains were found. He was hopeful he'd catch the killer coming back to check out the scene, so if there was a vehicle pulled over, Horne would wheel in and have a chat."

"Genealogist Barbara Rae-Venter, who also worked on the Golden State Killer case, found a probable cousin of the boy's living in Hawaii.

Horne got on the phone with that person and got some clues. He tried to find other relatives in other states. He called 20 people during his Christmas break. No one got back to him right away.

On December 26, at 1:44 p.m. - he won't forget the time - a call came from the 513 area code in Ohio.

'Finally he had Bobby's name, just five days before his last official day.'
He also learned that the boy's mother, Myoung Hwa Cho, was missing, so he kept going even into the new year. He could still be a cop as he used up his remaining vacation time."

"There is one thing he looks forward to: testifying at a trial for Bobby's killer."
News USA: Detective finally finds suspected child killer decades later, after delaying retirement to solve case

The fact that Whitt confessed to killing them 'within several months of each other' gets to me. That means that one had to live without the other possibly witnessing or knowing the others fate. It breaks my heart!

According to the timeline Myong was likely the first at May 13th. The new testing done last year placed Bobby's death in June or July of that year. With his confession of 'several months' it was likely July. This puts Bobby living with his dad at least two months without his mom. This raises other questions like was he present when Whitt dumped his mom in SC? Could former neighbors/friends have watched him? I hope it's the latter. IMO Myong may have tried to leave him, which is why the Korea story was not questioned, if the relationship had been strained prior. He may have become violent and the bound wrists suggest she was being held against her will by her husband. Maybe Bobby witnessed something? I hope not. Another good question would be why did Bobby have $50 in his pocket? I believe he was found shirtless due to his shirt being more identifiable (example, an Ohio aquarium shirt etc).

I found a lone article that says Bobby's fathers name. Would it be against Websleuths policies to post it being it's an on going investigation? Also the other articles state they aren't releasing it yet. Just checking first.

He is in prison in Kentucky. I found a court document from his trial as well. I can post if I'm allowed to.

its MSM idk why not. but id like to see too.

He said his wife and son moved to South Korea. Decades later, a detective learned the truth.

CZSLK5D7TRB5HF532RHBDWSNWQ.PNG

Growing up east of Cincinnati in Sardinia, Ohio, Mosteller had been close with her cousin, Robert “Bobby” Adam Whitt. Born in Michigan in January 1988, Bobby was the son of her uncle, a Caucasian male, and his wife, a Korean woman named Myoung Hwa Cho, according to Cincinnati’s WCPO.

“I’m the oldest of three girls, and he was my only first cousin,” Mosteller recently told the Raleigh News & Observer. “He spent a lot of time at our house, and he was the little brother that I always wanted and never had.”

Mosteller recalled Bobby as a sweet boy who loved playing video games and air hockey. “He had an air hockey table in his bedroom,” she told ABC 11.

Mosteller’s mother, Barbara Moellmann, also fondly recalled both the boy and his mom.

“Bobby was a very brilliant little boy,” she told WCPO. “And he was funny. He had a real dry sense of humor . . . [Myoung] was funny and fun. Literally, I’m going to have to say, probably the hardest working person that I’ve ever known in my life.”
---
When Bobby was 10, the boy and his family moved to North Carolina. Not long after, the father told his family back in Ohio that he and his wife had split, and that she had taken Bobby back to her native South Korea, Mosteller said.

As an adult, Mosteller tried finding traces of her long-lost cousin online.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d-truth/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6fb07ff95e8e

(there is great photo of Bobby and his mum attached. I have added it above but not sure if it is displaying or not as sometimes it is showing as cross instead of image and sometimes it is displaying properly)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imdoey
Back