NC - Mike Nifong, Duke prosecutor, for ethics violations, Durham, 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This guy was ready to ruin three young men's lives for his political gain. Had these boys not had the ability to hire defense teams, he probably would have gotten away with it.

This case was not even close to being a real case. That is what is so disgusting and so scary.

I wonder if Jesse Jackson is still paying for this woman's tuition. Why hasn't Jesse Jackson stepped up to the plate and apologized for his harsh criticism of these young men?? WHY???

Yes, where is Jesse? I don't think we'll see or hear a peep from him on this issue.

Just an aside,recently a local girl delivered a stillborn baby and threw the baby out in the trash. She recieved a $50 fine. Teenagers having a party were charged with misdemeaners and felonies. Something just in not right with our justice system.

You are so right.

Wow, what a story. And the media...ughhhh There's no excuse for some of the things they do.

From the old Duke threads, we both know that what Nifong did has been standard prosecutor practice in NC for decades. But it is nice to see it exposed to the nation.

I think that there had been "shades" of it, but it didn't hit full force until the Duke case. I agree that its nice that its out in the open now and I'm more than thrilled that he's stepped down as D.A.

ok forgive me for being an idiot about the duke rape case. i turned off my brain every time i heard it come on the news.

did the alleged victim ever recant her story?

You never hear apologies from some of these mouth pieces,but let one person say something politically incorrect and they are screwed.

You are so right.

Or if the tables had been turned, and the accuser was white. Jackson and Sharpton would be screaming! Actually, they would have been screaming a long time ago...I am not sure Nifong would have been able to drag it out this long...if that was case.

I don't care what color people are...injustice is injustice. And this case is really a sad example.

I'm not sure Nifong made a real apology or feels real remorse.

Therefore, other than the "forgive them for they know not what they do" kind of forgiveness, his actions and attitudes do not invite forgiveness.

Is he truly repentant for what he did? I'll wait and see.

I'm not sure Nifong made a real apology or feels real remorse.

Therefore, other than the "forgive them for they know not what they do" kind of forgiveness, his actions and attitudes do not invite forgiveness.

Is he truly repentant for what he did? I'll wait and see.

I don't think he is repentant towards the boys...only repentant towards what his actions have cost him, but that is my opinion only.

ok forgive me for being an idiot about the duke rape case. i turned off my brain every time i heard it come on the news.

did the alleged victim ever recant her story?

Not unless you count her having several men's DNA on her unmentionables--none of which matched the boys on the La Crosse team and throw in her being pregnant. :sick::silenced:
That chic was nothing but a *&^%$.

LOL, I didn't mean to make this a team debate. I just got geeky with the Paladin (white knight) vs. Dark Night dungeons and dragons thing. I'm glad Nifong stepped down. I'm just not comfortable with the skewering him at the stake part. Step down? Yes. Repay defense fees? Certainly. Turn this guy into a homeless bum and rip him apart? Not quite. ;)

It seems to me the DA's office needs a system of checks and balances. He had way too much power and this entire case went too far. We also have no clue what sort of pressure he was receiving from powers such as Sharpton and Jackson behind the scenes.

I think these young men will come out of this multi millionaires. Here's an article I missed a few months back - Roy Black's opinion on them suing Niphon and everyone else:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007...598.shtml?source=RSSattr=TheEarlyShow_2686598

"Florida defense attorney Roy Black says that suing Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong, who lead the charge against the players, remains an option and, if he was their lawyer, he would tell them to sue everybody, including the accuser, Crystal Magnum, and Nifong.

"He has total immunity for anything he does as an advocate, anything in the courtroom or dealing with the courts," Black told The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith. "Everything else he only has qualified immunity, so the DNA testing, all those press conferences — they can sue him for that."

Magnum, Black said, is the beginning of the entire case and she at least needs to take a deposition so lawyers can go through all her false statements and contradictions.

"That's the basis of your case," he said. "Then you bring in Nifong. You bring in the lab that manipulated the results, all the police detectives, the state of North Carolina. I'd bring in Duke University. I'd bring in anybody within 10 miles of that prosecution."

LOL, I didn't mean to make this a team debate. I just got geeky with the Paladin (white knight) vs. Dark Night dungeons and dragons thing. I'm glad Nifong stepped down. I'm just not comfortable with the skewering him at the stake part. Step down? Yes. Repay defense fees? Certainly. Turn this guy into a homeless bum and rip him apart? Not quite. ;)

It seems to me the DA's office needs a system of checks and balances. He had way too much power and this entire case went too far. We also have no clue what sort of pressure he was receiving from powers such as Sharpton and Jackson behind the scenes.

don't apologize. Debate is a good thing (I think.)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19155890/

RALEIGH, N.C. - Breaking down in tears at his ethics trial, Mike Nifong abruptly quit as district attorney Friday after admitting he got “carried away” with statements during his discredited rape prosecution of three Duke University lacrosse players.Catching even his attorneys by surprise, Nifong said he would resign and regretted making improper statements about the players.

~snipped~

HALLELUJAH! Apparently a verdict re: being disbarred could come as early as Saturday.

I'm sure these boys will be wealthy someday,but no amount of money will give them back what they lost. This should have been one of the best times in their lives and unfortunatley you can't give back time.

I think that there had been "shades" of it, but it didn't hit full force until the Duke case. I agree that its nice that its out in the open now and I'm more than thrilled that he's stepped down as D.A.

Jeana, hundreds of prosecutors across our nation withhold evidence every day as a matter of routine. It is institutionalized and accepted within and by many D.A. and A.G. offices. Some states are worse than others, but nobody ranks ahead of NC, nobody.

You may remember a prior post of mine, which I will repost here.

When it comes to railroading the innocent (railroading in capital cases is a true specialty) via withholding exculpatory or exonerating evidence or through seating a pre-disposed jury, no other state in America can even fathom pulling off once what commonly takes place on a daily basis in NC's courtrooms.

As regards its prosecutorial practices as well as its actual operating "policy", NC is pure Ripleys.

For example, if a prosecutor has exculpatory evidence, are they required to turn it over to the defense"? No. To do so would violate State policy.

I kid you not.

http://www.newsobserver.com/208/story/249929.html

And if a NC prosecutor wants an expert witness to testify in a certain way, what methodology do they practice? Why they treat their expert witness the exact same way that they treat defense lawyers. They withhold relevant facts/evidence from them as well. Thus, by withholding relevant facts, they force or shape the resulting "expert opinion" to fit their storyline.

http://www.newsobserver.com/208/story/255927.html

And if a prosecutor is faced with hearing about, reading about or, in any way, knowing about exonerating evidence, what do they do? Why the practice in NC is to become deaf, dumb and blind to any such evidence. This is known as "willful blindness".

For example, seventeen eye witnesses would exonerate a defendant. So, what is the practice for prosecutors in NC. The practice is simple and standard. They just pretend (claim) that investigators never told them about any such witnesses, and they will claim (pretend) not to have read the files on any such (seventeen) witnesses

http://www.newsobserver.com/210/story/318665.html

This practice of "willful blindness" is also used to obtain indictments in NC. The Duke rape case serves perfectly to illustrate that practice. I reference Nifong's unwilligness to even hear (a prosecutor must be deaf) what exculpatory or exonerating evidence one of the defense attorneys said they had to support their client's innocence.

The bottom line is: NC is not like any other state in our nation. There have been five or six recent murder/capital case reversals that resulted from such heinous prosecutorial practices as I noted above. Let me repeat: capital cases.

Should anyone doubt that a Durham prosecutor would consider all of the above practices, and more, to be fair game in a simple rape case that they have already used to gain re-election. (hah)

Oh, and when a NC review board decides to impose the harshest of penalities to prosecutors who withheld exonerating evidence in a capital case and who also withheld facts from their expert witness so as to shape their opinion, what do prosectutors suffer? Why they get reprimanded and appointed to one of the highest positions in the state legal system.

http://www.newsobserver.com/208/story/244539.html

Summarizing NC's system of jurisprudence: It's Ripley's dream come true.

The verdict is being read now ~ on cable news channels.

NC State Bar: Nifong broke rules of professional conduct (several counts). Verdicts still being read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back