NC - Mike Nifong, Duke prosecutor, for ethics violations, Durham, 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd like to see her back in that office too.

I really like this article:

A Trail of Slime

District Attorney Michael Nifong has apologized to the Duke University students he indicted for rape for "judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect."

Contrary to the fashionable phrase, "mistakes were made," there is no reason to believe that any mistake was made by District Attorney Nifong in this case, or that he misjudged anything other than miscalculating what he could get away with.

Nothing that Michael Nifong did is consistent with his ever believing that the Duke University students were guilty. If he really thought they were guilty and expected to go to trial and convict them, then the rigged photo lineup he arranged could have been enough to get the case thrown out of court.

This column predicted in April a year ago that this case would never go to trial because it was obvious even then that discovering the guilt or innocence of the accused was not District Attorney Nifong's real goal.

What served Nifong's purposes was keeping this case alive long enough for him to win his election as district attorney.

snipped.....

Everything in this case, from start to finish, makes perfect sense when seen as being about Nifong's career, not justice.

entire article here:
http://www.creators.com/opinion/thomas-sowell/a-trail-of-slime.html

Heraldsun.com

If you have problems getting to the article you can use bugmenot.com and you won't have to register.

Mayor seeks probe of Duke investigation

By Ray Gronberg : gronberg@heraldsun.com
May 12, 2007 : 12:46 am ET

Mayor Bill Bell said Friday that he intends to ask the state attorney general to investigate the handling of the Duke lacrosse case by both the Durham Police Department and District Attorney Mike Nifong.

The mayor responded shortly after City Manager Patrick Baker and Police Chief Steve Chalmers issued a 12-page report that laid much of the blame for the department's inability to get to the bottom of the case on a lack of cooperation by lacrosse players.

The report did acknowledge that a faulty police identification procedure -- in Baker's words "neither conducted nor intended to be conducted in accordance with" the department's standard procedures -- led to false charges of rape, sexual assault and kidnapping being levied against lacrosse players David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann.

Bell said he called Attorney General Roy Cooper's office Friday evening, and will follow up next week. He added that he's not asking for a criminal investigation specifically, just a third-party review of the lacrosse probe by a credible source.

(underline mine)

more at link

imo when these guys aren't passing the buck they are spinning their little hearts out. Finally the chief comes out of under what ever rock he's been hiding under and the report they file is crap.

I feel really sorry for the Honest Hardworking Cops that are trying to do their jobs in Durham. For those of you who read here, hang in there guys. Some of us have complete faith in you. Sometimes I worry.... sometimes my faith wavers when I read more and more of the crap that has been going on in the DPD. I pray that you come through this nightmare successfully and that you don't let the stress get to you.

ABC News

Durham Mayor Meets with AG Over Duke LAX Case

(05/14/07 -- DURHAM) - Durham Mayor Bill Bell met with AG Roy Cooper Monday, in the wake of the report on the Durham Police Department's handling of the Duke lacrosse rape investigation.

Bell was not pleased with the findings in that report, so he asked Cooper if he could investigate the department. Cooper told Bell he can not, because the Attorney General's Office deals with criminal investigations, and this review of whether procedures and protocols were followed is not criminal.

ABC News

Durham Mayor Meets with AG Over Duke LAX Case

(05/14/07 -- DURHAM) - Durham Mayor Bill Bell met with AG Roy Cooper Monday, in the wake of the report on the Durham Police Department's handling of the Duke lacrosse rape investigation.

Bell was not pleased with the findings in that report, so he asked Cooper if he could investigate the department. Cooper told Bell he can not, because the Attorney General's Office deals with criminal investigations, and this review of whether procedures and protocols were followed is not criminal.

:waitasec: Hmm...I wonder if the accused Duke LaCrosse players think it's criminal?

LE investigates and brings to the DA and DA decides whether or not he's going to take the case in many instances.

I think there may have been some bullying by DA because of the election, he needed the votes, he needed a cause and he could not afford to lose the election and this was his in.

He probably rode rough-shod on the investigators, imo and I believe it all goes back to Nifong in the end.

I'd like to hear what the LE have to say who investigated the case and what Nifong told LE and if there was some sort of cohersion by Nifong.

I've been watching this trial on court tv off and on today and I'm finding it very interesting.Mike Nifong is charged with ethics violations. Another crook I'm hoping is removed from our justice system and I hope this is just the start.

I've been watching this trial on court tv off and on today and I'm finding it very interesting.Mike Nifong is charged with ethics violations. Another crook I'm hoping is removed from our justice system and I hope this is just the start.

AMEN!:clap:

Opening Statements Heard In Nifong Ethics Trial

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=63275

Web Editor: Rhonda Erskine, Online Content Producer
Created: 6/12/2007 6:10:56 PM
Updated: 6/12/2007 8:03:29 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. (NBC/AP) -- The embattled prosecutor at the center of the Duke Lacrosse scandal went on trial himself Tuesday in North Carolina.

Mike Nifong could be disbarred if the State Bar decides he acted unethically while pursuing rape charges against three players, charges that turned out to be false.

Durham district attorney Mike Nifong's livelihood is on the line. In a trial-like setting a panel from the North Carolina State Bar will decide whether Nifong should lose his law license.

The Bar has its own prosecutor, Katherine Jean.

"The harm done to these three young men and their families and the justice system of North Carolina is devastating." says Jean.

Three players were indicted last year after a woman who was hired as a stripper for a team party said she was raped. The charges against the three players have since been dropped.

The accuser, Crystal Mangum, has been discredited.

But the State Bar still must decide if Nifong committed prosecutorial misconduct by fixing a police lineup, withholding DNA evidence, and making inflammatory public remarks.

See link for rest of story!

Durham in Wonderland

~~ clipped

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bannon Testimony

Brad Bannon is now testifying.

Two reactions to initial Nifong statements: "outrageous" at Nifong statements.

Second reaction: there must have been a rape. Couldn't imagine a prosecutor speaking with such confidence without his having absolute evidence that a crime had occurred.

As Bannon is reading Nifong's early statements, Nifong was sitting at the defense table with his head down.

As soon as he became involved, realized that Nifong's statements were "not truthful"--no stonewall of silence. When any figure of authority--from Duke, from the DPD--asked Evans to do anything, he did so.

The "chokehold" interview was just shown; Nifong remained with his eyes closed throughout the viewing of the tape.

Bannon: "Cooperation for Mr. Nifong was somebody saying that a sexual assault occurred."

News flash from Foxnews.com

Hoo rah, sorry Mikey, you messed UP.

New

I can't get beyond the fact that he knew the DNA didn't match prior to the charges being filed (did I catch this correctly?). The guy is such a liar. I don't know how he can sit there and try to explain away what he did.

I just saw that.

Too little, too late.

He ruined the lives of those young men. I hope he pays dearly for it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:dance: Good riddance!

Resignation is not enough IMO for what he didi to those boys and their families. he still does not appear apoligetic enough for me. I hope theysue the pants off of him!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back