NC - Paitin Fields, 5, raped & murdered, Pender County, 12 Nov 2017 *ARREST in 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would one of the charges be statutory rape and not rape? Thanks and hope it’s not a dumb question.
Oddly, the laws on statutory rape in North Carolina can apply to a victim who is 13-years old or younger:

I just read the whole thread... I am so surprised it took 5 years to get an arrest!!

@borndem - what is the hearing on 11/18/22 about - i.e. pretrial, status, etc. ? and what time please. TIA! :)
Yes, I am following this case!

Assuming you are referring to this from above:
SuperiorPENDERPREVATTE,DAVID,WESLEY11/1011/18/2022001AAM22CRS050143

Notice that it is Superior Court -- That's where the rubber hits the road.
It looks like it could be his trial date, but his atty. is still pushing for a change of venue.
Who knows?
I've copied the details (however slim) of what the Pender County Court docket says below.
=================================================

From the Pender County Court:
----------------------------------------------------
Case Number:
22CRS050143
Defendant Name:
PREVATTE,DAVID,WESLEY
County:
PENDER
Court Date:
11/18/2022
Session:
AM

Court Room:
001A
Citation:

Arraigned Offenses
Offense CodeDescriptionStatute
0935 Felony-FIRST DEGREE MURDER 14-17
3640 Felony-STAT RAPE OF CHILD BY ADULT 14-27.23
3641 Felony-STAT SEX OFF W/CHILD BY ADULT 14-27.28

<< Back to search results

Assuming you are referring to this from above:
SuperiorPENDERPREVATTE,DAVID,WESLEY11/1011/18/2022001AAM22CRS050143

Notice that it is Superior Court -- That's where the rubber hits the road.
It looks like it could be his trial date, but his atty. is still pushing for a change of venue.
Who knows?
I've copied the details (however slim) of what the Pender County Court docket says below.
=================================================

From the Pender County Court:
----------------------------------------------------
Case Number:
22CRS050143
Defendant Name:
PREVATTE,DAVID,WESLEY
County:
PENDER
Court Date:
11/18/2022
Session:
AM

Court Room:
001A
Citation:

Arraigned Offenses​

Offense CodeDescriptionStatute
0935Felony-FIRST DEGREE MURDER 14-17
3640Felony-STAT RAPE OF CHILD BY ADULT 14-27.23
3641Felony-STAT SEX OFF W/CHILD BY ADULT14-27.28

<< Back to search results

Thanks! Trial already? I really do not think so - since, as you say, the defense filed a change of venue for this case. I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.
As I recall the NC court sites do not give much info...

Yep, Mans draugs, we'll just have to keep checking. Could be more wrangling of change of venue or who-knoze-what. :)

And yes the NC courts keep things close, but many states do.

Friday, November 18th:
*Hearing (@ am session ET) - NC - Paitin Renee Fields (5) (reported missing Sunday night Nov. 12, 2017 at home on Blackwater Drive in Willard. But found next morning, Nov. 13, 2017, unresponsive in her own bedroom by her 19 yr. old uncle; she had been strangled & raped & died at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center on Nov. 16, 2017; she lived with her maternal grandmother) - *David Wesley Prevatte (19 @ time of crime/23/now 24) uncle arrested & charged (2/4/22) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree statutory rape & 1st degree statutory sex offense with child by adult in the case. Prevatte was taken into custody in by the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana & is awaiting extradition. Was extradited 2/15/22 to NC. Held without bond. State will seek the DP.
About case as of 3/22/19: On Nov. 13, 2017, Paitin was taken to Pender Memorial Hospital with complaints of seizure & an altered mental status, according to an autopsy report from the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Raleigh, released last year. Her family members reportedly told medical staff that the child had been sick for two days with respiratory problems. According to the Medical Examiner's report, an ER nurse found “ligature marks on her neck, consistent with strangulation” & sent Paitin to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center for evaluation. At NHRMC, doctors also found evidence that Paitin had been sexually assaulted, the autopsy report stated. The child died at the hospital on Nov. 16, 2017 & the Pender County Sheriff's Office opened a homicide investigation.
Paitin was at her maternal grandma's house. Her step grandfather & uncle were also in the house. She was found in the bedroom. Paitin was a member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina. Father: Robert A. Fields is a member of the Lumbee Tribe of NC. Mother: Lora Elizabeth Flowers. Maternal grandparents: Dale & Lisa Hunt. Paternal grandparents, Buddy & Jan Fields. Maternal uncle: David Wesley Prevatte (19) was suspect in June, 2018.
According to a news release from the Pender County Sheriff's Office, medical staff at Pender Memorial Hospital contacted the sheriff's office at 6am last Monday, 11/13/17 regarding a female child in the emergency room. She was in critical condition with injuries consistent with an assault. Police records show the girl was strangled & raped. She died as a result of those injuries on Wednesday, 11/16/17."

2/15/22 Update: Prevatte was extradited from Louisiana to North Carolina. First appearance on 2/16/22. 2/16/22 Update: No details of the case were discussed in court Thursday morning, but the judge decided Prevatte will be held without bond. The Pender County Sheriff himself held Prevatte as he walked out in chains, wearing his orange striped jail jumpsuit to appear before Judge Jeffrey Noecker. Prevatte said, “Yes sir” when asked if he understood the eight felony charges he faces, including first-degree statutory rape, first-degree statutory sex offense with child & first degree murder. He faces a maximum penalty of death, or life without parole for the murder charge. Investigators couldn’t discuss any specifics of the case Thursday or talk about what led to Prevatte’s arrest so many years later. The files in the murder case remain sealed & they’re expected to remain out of the public eye until the case goes to trial. Former Robeson County DA Johnson Britt spoke in Prevatte’s defense Thursday, but Prevatte did request a court appointed attorney in the event that he couldn’t retain Britt. Prevatte’s next court date is set for 3/16/22.
3/16/22 Update: In early April, the state filed a notice in Pender County Superior Court notifying Prevatte & his counsel that it would proceed capitally in the case. According to the district attorney's office, this means Prevatte could face the death penalty if convicted of murder. On April 25, Prevatte's attorney submitted a motion requesting a change in venue to move the impending trial from Pender County, claiming prejudice against Prevatte in Pender & other nearby counties would prevent him from receiving a fair & impartial trial. Next hearing on 11/18/22.

@borndem - probably no update yet? :) TIA if there is - well - even if there isn't ! :D
Nothing has changed -- Still the 11/18/2022 date (yesterday) in Superior Court -- no additional dates, etc. :confused:

I just found this article below, but no real updates to what we already have seen/read.

---------------------------------------------

State will seek death penalty in 2017 rape, killing of Pender County child​

Jamey Cross
Wilmington StarNews
October 20, 2022

A man carried the limp body of his 5-year-old niece into the emergency room at Pender Memorial Hospital in mid-November 2017. She died three days later and her death was investigated as a homicide.

Her uncle, now 23-year-old David Wesley Prevatte -- the man who carried her into the emergency room -- was an initial suspect in her death. It took over four years for an arrest to be made, but Prevatte was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and first-degree statutory rape in February 2022 in connection with the death of the child, Paitin Fields.

A man carried the limp body of his 5-year-old niece into the emergency room at Pender Memorial Hospital in mid-November 2017. She died three days later and her death was investigated as a homicide.
-------------------------------------
More here:

Friday, November 18th:
*Hearing (@ am session ET) - NC - Paitin Renee Fields (5) (reported missing Sunday night Nov. 12, 2017 at home on Blackwater Drive in Willard. But found next morning, Nov. 13, 2017, unresponsive in her own bedroom by her 19 yr. old uncle; she had been strangled & raped & died at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center on Nov. 16, 2017; she lived with her maternal grandmother) - *David Wesley Prevatte (19 @ time of crime/23/now 24) uncle arrested & charged (2/4/22) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree statutory rape & 1st degree statutory sex offense with child by adult in the case. Prevatte was taken into custody in by the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana & is awaiting extradition. Was extradited 2/15/22 to NC. Held without bond. State will seek the DP.
About case as of 3/22/19: On Nov. 13, 2017, Paitin was taken to Pender Memorial Hospital with complaints of seizure & an altered mental status, according to an autopsy report from the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office in Raleigh, released last year. Her family members reportedly told medical staff that the child had been sick for two days with respiratory problems. According to the Medical Examiner's report, an ER nurse found “ligature marks on her neck, consistent with strangulation” & sent Paitin to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center for evaluation. At NHRMC, doctors also found evidence that Paitin had been sexually assaulted, the autopsy report stated. The child died at the hospital on Nov. 16, 2017 & the Pender County Sheriff's Office opened a homicide investigation.
Paitin was at her maternal grandma's house. Her step grandfather & uncle were also in the house. She was found in the bedroom. Paitin was a member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina. Father: Robert A. Fields is a member of the Lumbee Tribe of NC. Mother: Lora Elizabeth Flowers. Maternal grandparents: Dale & Lisa Hunt. Paternal grandparents, Buddy & Jan Fields. Maternal uncle: David Wesley Prevatte (19) was suspect in June, 2018.
According to a news release from the Pender County Sheriff's Office, medical staff at Pender Memorial Hospital contacted the sheriff's office at 6am last Monday, 11/13/17 regarding a female child in the emergency room. She was in critical condition with injuries consistent with an assault. Police records show the girl was strangled & raped. She died as a result of those injuries on Wednesday, 11/16/17."

2/15/22 Update: Prevatte was extradited from Louisiana to North Carolina. First appearance on 2/16/22. 2/16/22 Update: No details of the case were discussed in court Thursday morning, but the judge decided Prevatte will be held without bond. The Pender County Sheriff himself held Prevatte as he walked out in chains, wearing his orange striped jail jumpsuit to appear before Judge Jeffrey Noecker. Prevatte said, “Yes sir” when asked if he understood the eight felony charges he faces, including first-degree statutory rape, first-degree statutory sex offense with child & first degree murder. He faces a maximum penalty of death, or life without parole for the murder charge. Investigators couldn’t discuss any specifics of the case Thursday or talk about what led to Prevatte’s arrest so many years later. The files in the murder case remain sealed & they’re expected to remain out of the public eye until the case goes to trial. Former Robeson County DA Johnson Britt spoke in Prevatte’s defense Thursday, but Prevatte did request a court appointed attorney in the event that he couldn’t retain Britt. Prevatte’s next court date is set for 3/16/22.
3/16/22 Update: In early April, the state filed a notice in Pender County Superior Court notifying Prevatte & his counsel that it would proceed capitally in the case. According to the district attorney's office, this means Prevatte could face the death penalty if convicted of murder. On April 25, Prevatte's attorney submitted a motion requesting a change in venue to move the impending trial from Pender County, claiming prejudice against Prevatte in Pender & other nearby counties would prevent him from receiving a fair & impartial trial. Next hearing on 11/18/22.
I don’t think she was ever reported missing. She was brought into the hospital after her uncle “found her” in her room.

I don’t think she was ever reported missing. She was brought into the hospital after her uncle “found her” in her room.

I thought the first article mentioned that they first reported her missing - but I shall change my notes on that. Thanks!

I think it was first reported that way but we ended up finding out that the family never called the police for this little Angel.

Okay - changing my notes! Thanks.
Boy Waving Hello Smiley

@borndem - you still around? Just wondering if Prevatte has another hearing date yet?

TIA mans draugs!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Wondering the same. Perhaps we need to do our own sleuthing.

Well unfortunately I can not access the NC court site? What about you?

Here are the case #s
Pender County #21CR050625, 21CR050626 & 22CRS050143

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06