GUILTY NC - PFC Kelli Bordeaux, 23, Fayetteville, 14 April 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Woe. I'm not a techie guy, and I'm sure this was discussed, but what do they mean when they say the phone was last activated at 1:24? see some discussion of that in the threads you brought forward, but I'm still confused. Does that mean that was the last time it was used for a call/text? Does that mean that was the last time it was turned on? Does that mean that was the last time it pinged? Do any of those things mean the same thing? Sorry. I know we discussed this but I'm still confused.

I just asked my daughter who works for one of the major cell phone companies what this means. She said that a phone is "activated" as long as the sim card is in it, it is turned on, and the battery is in and charged. If the sim is taken out, the battery removed or died, or the phone is turned off, it is no longer activated. If this is the case, any calls would go to voicemail regardless of the reason the phone was no longer activated, even if the phone was destroyed in any way like thrown in water.

Just as an aside, she was also telling me that a track (tract) phone, can not ever be linked to anyone if you paid cash for it. There are no identifiers. Interesting.

And the phone won't ping unless activated.

No a cell phone does not ping if the phone is turned off. Now, the phone still pings if the phone is on but you are not making any calls. The signal strength bars that you see on your cell phone must be active in order for the phone to ping with a tower.

I'm not a techie either and posed the same question earlier. Activated was the exact word LE used in reference to 1:24 a.m. and Kelli's phone. That said, if one turns their phone on, aren't you activating it? :waitasec:
This is what I think I know. A cell phone pings if the battery is in it even if the phone is turned off. In that case, a call will go straight to voicemail - it will not ring. That must not mean 'activate' to LE because JB, for one, claims to have called Kelli's cell many times over the weekend and the calls went straight to vm. Those calls would have, of course, been made after 1:24 a.m. on Saturday. LE must not mean that then when they say 'activate'.

So, what does 'activate' mean? Since pings happen as long as a phone has a battery in it, do they mean a text was successfully sent or a call was successfully made?
Because, if a call goes to vm but rang a couple of times first, wasn't the phone activated by that transaction? In other words, both making calls and sending texts or receiving of both activates a phone. :waitasec:
LE wasn't specific enough for us to determine what it means.

I haven't an answer. Apparently, it means something to LE but, as we know, there are questions as to who sent the final text. Whatever 1:24 symbolizes, Kelli could have been immobilized already by then.

Bumping for Kelli and any new information, thoughts, leads.

This was the lady whose body was found floating in the cape fear river several months ago off Ramsey Street.

Linden man charged with murder of Heather Nicole Smith

Fourty-four-year-old Michael Overbee was charged today for the murder of his girlfriend, the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office announced.

Overbee, of the 8000 block of Flaming Star Drive, Linden, was charged with second-degree murder for the death of Heather Nicole Smith.

Smith, 30, was found floating in the Cape Fear River near the Campbellton Landing boat slip May 27.

She was identified by authorities by her tattoos and jewelry on her body.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/08/27/1199988?sac=fo.local

I'm not a techie either and posed the same question earlier. Activated was the exact word LE used in reference to 1:24 a.m. and Kelli's phone. That said, if one turns their phone on, aren't you activating it? :waitasec:
This is what I think I know. A cell phone pings if the battery is in it even if the phone is turned off. In that case, a call will go straight to voicemail - it will not ring. That must not mean 'activate' to LE because JB, for one, claims to have called Kelli's cell many times over the weekend and the calls went straight to vm. Those calls would have, of course, been made after 1:24 a.m. on Saturday. LE must not mean that then when they say 'activate'.

So, what does 'activate' mean? Since pings happen as long as a phone has a battery in it, do they mean a text was successfully sent or a call was successfully made?
Because, if a call goes to vm but rang a couple of times first, wasn't the phone activated by that transaction? In other words, both making calls and sending texts or receiving of both activates a phone. :waitasec:
LE wasn't specific enough for us to determine what it means.

I haven't an answer. Apparently, it means something to LE but, as we know, there are questions as to who sent the final text. Whatever 1:24 symbolizes, Kelli could have been immobilized already by then.
Since 1:24 is also the time frame LE gives for when something happened to KB (12:46-1:24) something about how the phone was "activated" convinced LE something had already happened to her.

Hey guys! I randomly figured out how to go back to previous conversations in Yahoo Messenger so here is a copy of the questions I asked my friend about the case, it has info about the texts, security cams, and we discussed the remains found on Cumberland St.

TEXTS:
Me:did you guys ever state she sent 2 text messages saying "Driving" and "home safe" or was that not verified by LE?
friend:That was released by the paper and is true
me:did they release the times of the texts? I think I read one was shortly before 1am and another like 30 min later or so?
friend:They released that yes
me:I also read about a 3rd one saying something like "omg guess what happened". Sounds sketchy though?
friend: I've never heard of that one...

ID OF REMAINS FOUND IN LATE JULY:
me:Why the hell is it taking so long to ID the remains found on Cumberland St? Was it not a full skeleton?
me:I would think they at least could say it wasnt Kelli since the military has all her records?
friend:If there is nothing to compare the samples to how are people supposed to confirm ID?
friend:A skeleton that just about matches a description isn't enough
me:Well I figured they could compare dental for whatever is on file for Kelli, at least rule her out, not necessarily ID it otherwise
friend:If a skeleton was found after a certain amount of time you would have to assume that animals and other factors have gotten to it. If you have every teeth and a recent dental record you might be able to
friend:But bodies tend to separate and pieces get damaged or dragged off

me:How long is the DNA backlog?
friend: It could take a year or more
me:I would hope a high profile missing persons investigation would take priority
friend:Because of the media? That doesn't exactly seem fair
me:No not that exactly, just the potential for her to still be alive?
friend:Occasionally a rush can be made but if your department doesn't have the funds then that won't happen
friend:At this point that's highly unlikely
me:If the remains were found outside a medical building, I would think they would have been noticed sooner? Is there evidence they were recently dumped?Or dragged there by animals?
friend:That information has not been released

SECURITY CAMS:
me:There was no potential for any security cameras on a gas station or any other business to see the car drive by?
friend:All security footage has been reviewed by investigators

Since 1:24 is also the time frame LE gives for when something happened to KB (12:46-1:24) something about how the phone was "activated" convinced LE something had already happened to her.

So my understanding of the 1:24 am being the last time the phone was "activated" leads me to believe that at 1:24 am either the phone was turned off, the battery removed or died, or the sim card was removed. Therefore, yes, something happened to her before 1:24 am, unless the battery just died, but that's probably a stretch. So, what happened to her? Timeline definitely tighter as to when she left the bar.

Bodies in and near Fayetteville = common. Lots of homeless folks, lots of drugs, lots of crime, many homicides. They (the various killers) tend not to drop bodies off at funeral homes to help keep the rivers clear. So add littering to their list of crimes too. Lots of littering there.

Bodies in and near Fayetteville = common. Lots of homeless folks, lots of drugs, lots of crime, many homicides. They (the various killers) tend not to drop bodies off at funeral homes to help keep the rivers clear. So add littering to their list of crimes too. Lots of littering there.

I haven't been around WS long, but I have just never seen so many bodies turning up on any other case. Kind of blows my mind.

Yes...Fayetteville clearly has a problem with...littering?!

LOL

I haven't been around WS long, but I have just never seen so many bodies turning up on any other case. Kind of blows my mind.

due to the depressed economy, the transient nature of military institutions (where people don't live in one place long), and the proximity to i-95 and i-40, fayetteville has a (fairly deserved imo) reputation as a hellhole. the locals call it "fayette-nam".

Yes...Fayetteville clearly has a problem with...littering?!

Yes, I was clearly being facetious on the littering part in comparison to the dead bodies turning up part... even though it's true (F'ville does actually have a littering issue). Just covering all bases and being thorough! ;)

Yes, I was clearly being facetious on the littering part in comparison to the dead bodies turning up part... even though it's true (F'ville does actually have a littering issue). Just covering all bases and being thorough! ;)

LOL...I knew you were being facetious...and I was just playing along... but I wasn't clear on that...sorry...poor Fayetteville....they really have issues (the understatement of the year).

(I added a LOL to my earlier post).

So my understanding of the 1:24 am being the last time the phone was "activated" leads me to believe that at 1:24 am either the phone was turned off, the battery removed or died, or the sim card was removed. Therefore, yes, something happened to her before 1:24 am, unless the battery just died, but that's probably a stretch. So, what happened to her? Timeline definitely tighter as to when she left the bar.

I don't think her phone dying is a "stretch." It could have happened. We don't really know. It depends on the last time she charged it and used it. I can't say I remember if she charged it at the bar or not. The DJ and the Bartenders often charged phones for people. Remember she was texting that night. I have a droid so I don't know what the battery life is like on an IPhone either.

In regard to the homeless situation - yes there are a lot of homeless people, but I also am aware that many people who are classified as "homeless" do also stay with family members and just aren't registered there. (I can say that often times it's because the housing communities do background checks and not all but a good portion of the homeless have a criminal record and cannot be listed as living at those places.)

In addition, like many of the bigger cities, the panhandlers you see on the streets actually make a good dollar. I know of one who would bring "home" almost $300 a day. It's sad, but true.

Also, there is a drug problem here. My experience leads me to believe its a bigger problem for the adults here than the youth. And being military or a dependent doesn't necessarily excuse people from that issue. Again, sad but true.

Like any city though, there are good parts and bad parts. While downtown has been cleaned up a whole lot, meaning its safer for females to walk downtown at night, it's not hard to spot the dealers when walking from one bar to another. I'm sure its the same in certain neighborhoods that are more on the "bad" side. But even when I lived in an apartment in the "good" area, I could tell which of my neighbors were dealing just from sitting on the balcony and observing. (yeah I can be a nosy neighbor. Im a fan of the neighborhood watch program.)

I don't think any of this is really related to what happened to Kelli though. I'm pretty sure it was someone who knew her. It just doesn't make sense in my head for it not to be, and I think about the details daily.

hey voh!

great to see you! Do you still see any local movement on Kelli's case? I think about her almost every day.

Every time I come back to check on Kelli, I always hope to find myself 10 pages behind and having to catch up, meaning something broke on the case.

These were from a couple of years ago... I believe they were both homeless.

Oh my gosh...you are right, how embarrassing...I had looked at the dates but apparently didn't look at the years. My bad. Sorry for the distraction. Both were from 2010!!

Too late to edit original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member