Found Deceased NC - Raul Johnson, 4, Laurinburg, 24 January 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The more details that were discovered during the search for Raul, the more heightened my "bad feelings" about everything became. At this point, I do now lean towards this being accidental. However, taking into consideration those details we learned along the way, so many things don't sit right with me in terms of whether that household is truly a safe, happy, healthy environment for the remaining 7 children.

- Raul was a habitual wanderer. He wandered often enough that authorities had been involved previously due to his wandering off and getting lost, as recently as THE DAY BEFORE. It had happened enough times that the one detective was familiar with not only Raul, but his typical wandering habits as well.

-The first time police needed to be involved should have been considered a serious warning to the parent & caregiver that precautions needed to be set in place to ensure that Raul remained safe and in the home. Extra/higher deadbolts, locks or an alarm on the door are easy to install and very inexpensive. Adults in the home should have also been extra diligent about keeping their eyes and ears open for Raul. None of those things seemed to happen.

- It was 11:00/11:30 am on a weekday and he was still dressed in mis-matched pajamas and left the house without shoes. Not a large issue on its own by any means, but when taking all other things into consideration, it does make me wonder if the household was simply more laid back or not morning people and they take longer getting ready in the mornings or if no one noticed or took the care or consideration to get him properly dressed and presentable every day.

-He didn't speak to the neighbor that day.
He was a regular visitor to the cookie/candy lady and according to her, he didnt say a word to her that day, which was unusual. Why wasn't he talking?
The mother said he and his sister had an argument while playing as the reason. How does she know this? Obviously the 6 year old sister would know about the argument, but the sister didn't know he had left the house. He always wandered. But normally his sister isn't home sick from school to even argue with. And obviously, no one saw Raul after that to ask him. I got the impression that reason was given simply to give a reason. An attempt to make it seem as though it was an isolated incident? Was there some other reason he wasn't talking? 4 year olds are usually more than happy to tattle on one of their siblings to anyone who will listen. Not a word. Why? What really happened?

- Mom and Dad's arrests for sexual abuse. In fact, dad was also charged in 2007 for sexually abusing a child in the home. (I'm guessing/hoping this was a different home/family???!!!)

He at the very least, had a past. Yet, he was brought into these children's lives/the family home. Once a woman brings a man like that into the home, I wonder about all sorts of things. Is there a history of choosing bad men/bad relationships? Why? Did they have a troubled or unsafe home life growing up as well? What about their family and friends? Do they have a history of arrests or violence or abuse too? Are the children around these types of people regularly? Have other people with a shady or criminal past been allowed around the family home or have lived/are living in the home? (You gotta dig......)
And according to msm reports, the children had been removed from the home before, more than once. Again, why? If it was because of the sexual abuse charges against both the father and mother (which were later dropped for the mother) that would account for one removal, correct? So, what were the reasons for the additional removal(s)? I believe the MSM article also stated that the abuse charges were brought to police following an investigation by DSS/DFS/DHS. What was the reason for them being involved originally?

I could go on, but this post has already been far lengthier than I originally intended. (Sorry!) Basically, this is my overall perspective;

When it gets to the point that going out and searching your property, going door to door to ask neighbors if your child is there, and calling the police (again) because you can't find your wandering child (again), has become not only somewhat routine, but shamelessly less of a hassle than spending QUALITY time with them and actually investing in them while they are in your care, well, it's a sad existence for everyone under that roof. Loving a child simply isn't enough. You have to invest in them. Your time, your energy, your wisdom, your knowledge, your best judgements, your patience, your care.

In one article linked here, Mom also said Raul begged her not to go to work that day.

In one article linked here, Mom also said Raul begged her not to go to work that day.

I feel so bad for the Mom. I personally feel she was a hard working Mom who was maybe left to financially support her and the children on her income alone. Especially after her husband went to prison in September.
She must be just beside herself with guilt...I know my 4 yo asks me every day if he can stay home instead of going to preschool. It absolutely breaks my heart that this lil guy seemed to be crying out for help in some way. The mom must just be so upset. I pray for them in this awful time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew he was going to be in the water. These little wanderers often are.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all who loved and cared for little Raul [emoji257]

The more details that were discovered during the search for Raul, the more heightened my "bad feelings" about everything became. At this point, I do now lean towards this being accidental. However, taking into consideration those details we learned along the way, so many things don't sit right with me in terms of whether that household is truly a safe, happy, healthy environment for the remaining 7 children.

- Raul was a habitual wanderer. He wandered often enough that authorities had been involved previously due to his wandering off and getting lost, as recently as THE DAY BEFORE. It had happened enough times that the one detective was familiar with not only Raul, but his typical wandering habits as well.

-The first time police needed to be involved should have been considered a serious warning to the parent & caregiver that precautions needed to be set in place to ensure that Raul remained safe and in the home. Extra/higher deadbolts, locks or an alarm on the door are easy to install and very inexpensive. Adults in the home should have also been extra diligent about keeping their eyes and ears open for Raul. None of those things seemed to happen.

- It was 11:00/11:30 am on a weekday and he was still dressed in mis-matched pajamas and left the house without shoes. Not a large issue on its own by any means, but when taking all other things into consideration, it does make me wonder if the household was simply more laid back or not morning people and they take longer getting ready in the mornings or if no one noticed or took the care or consideration to get him properly dressed and presentable every day.

He was a regular visitor to the cookie/candy lady and according to her, he didnt say a word to her that day, which was unusual. Why wasn't he talking?
The mother said he and his sister had an argument while playing as the reason. How does she know this? Obviously the 6 year old sister would know about the argument, but the sister didn't know he had left the house. He always wandered. But normally his sister isn't home sick from school to even argue with. And obviously, no one saw Raul after that to ask him. I got the impression that reason was given simply to give a reason. An attempt to make it seem as though it was an isolated incident? Was there some other reason he wasn't talking? 4 year olds are usually more than happy to tattle on one of their siblings to anyone who will listen. Not a word. Why? What really happened?

- Mom and Dad's arrests for sexual abuse. In fact, dad was also charged in 2007 for sexually abusing a child in the home. (I'm guessing/hoping this was a different home/family???!!!)

He at the very least, had a past. Yet, he was brought into these children's lives/the family home. Once a woman brings a man like that into the home, I wonder about all sorts of things. Is there a history of choosing bad men/bad relationships? Why? Did they have a troubled or unsafe home life growing up as well? What about their family and friends? Do they have a history of arrests or violence or abuse too? Are the children around these types of people regularly? Have other people with a shady or criminal past been allowed around the family home or have lived/are living in the home? (You gotta dig......)
And according to msm reports, the children had been removed from the home before, more than once. Again, why? If it was because of the sexual abuse charges against both the father and mother (which were later dropped for the mother) that would account for one removal, correct? So, what were the reasons for the additional removal(s)? I believe the MSM article also stated that the abuse charges were brought to police following an investigation by DSS/DFS/DHS. What was the reason for them being involved originally?

I could go on, but this post has already been far lengthier than I originally intended. (Sorry!) Basically, this is my overall perspective;

When it gets to the point that going out and searching your property, going door to door to ask neighbors if your child is there, and calling the police (again) because you can't find your wandering child (again), has become not only somewhat routine, but shamelessly less of a hassle than spending QUALITY time with them and actually investing in them while they are in your care, well, it's a sad existence for everyone under that roof. Loving a child simply isn't enough. You have to invest in them. Your time, your energy, your wisdom, your knowledge, your best judgements, your patience, your care.

RSBM

All of this. ^^^^^

And the fact that Raul had wandered away before ... including the day before--- and no action was taken, so that it didn't happen again ?
If checking around the neighborhood to find your child yet again is a habit... you have a serious parenting problem
The community cannot be held responsible for the whereabouts of your child/children.

At the very least it displays a lack of concern, and at the worst -- it's dangerous !! Not only accidents, but predators who prey on little ones....... not to mention some children have been mauled by dogs, hit by cars, etc.
Sorry not feeling compassionate towards the adults in his family. Why couldn't they hire a sitter , or at least install locks on the house ?
A baby sitter costs some $$ but at least your child will be alive. Smh.
:moo:

Can't help but wonder why he wasn't deported during the other two cases where he was charged with sexual crimes against a child?

Due to the temperature of the water (cold), he could have been recusitated for up to 66 minutes; had anyone seen him fall/go in. 😔

Good lord, I have never heard that before. Are you saying he could have been under water for 66 minutes and still recusitated ! ? That is incredible, so never give up on CPR?

RSBM

All of this. ^^^^^

And the fact that Raul had wandered away before ... including the day before--- and no action was taken, so that it didn't happen again ?
If checking around the neighborhood to find your child yet again is a habit... you have a serious parenting problem
The community cannot be held responsible for the whereabouts of your child/children.

At the very least it displays a lack of concern, and at the worst -- it's dangerous !! Not only accidents, but predators who prey on little ones....... not to mention some children have been mauled by dogs, hit by cars, etc.
Sorry not feeling compassionate towards the adults in his family. Why couldn't they hire a sitter , or at least install locks on the house ?
A baby sitter costs some $$ but at least your child will be alive. Smh.
:moo:

This is basically where my mind is at as well.

Yes, I feel sad that this family lost their child. But at the same time....pretty much all of my sadness is going toward Raul. His family failed him. I, personally, cannot consider this an accident. It wasn't an isolated incident. It was neglect. I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but I am assuming no one will be charged for this?? I hope the other children are taken away.

Good lord, I have never heard that before. Are you saying he could have been under water for 66 minutes and still recusitated ! ? That is incredible, so never give up on CPR?
Due to the cold slowing down his heart rate and dropping his internal temperature. You wouldn't have so long under other circumstances.

Just saw this -- A vigil for the little guy from WRAL:

Community gathers to remember 4-year-old Scotland County boy found in pond
Posted 4:39 p.m. today
Updated 56 minutes ago

Laurinburg, NC - Scotland County is coming together Monday night to say goodbye to 4-year-old Raul Gonzalez Johnson.

Community members are expected to gather for a candlelight vigil to remember Raul, who was reported missing by his family after he walked away from his home Wednesday morning.
http://www.wral.com/community-gathe...d-scotland-county-boy-found-in-pond/17298700/

Yes, I feel sad that this family lost their child. But at the same time....pretty much all of my sadness is going toward Raul. His family failed him. I, personally, cannot consider this an accident. It wasn't an isolated incident. It was neglect. I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but I am assuming no one will be charged for this?? I hope the other children are taken away.
........................................^^^^^^^^^
........................................All of this.

Yes. It was neglect.

If this is ruled an accident, then so be it. But in my mind it is an accident due to neglect.

“On Tuesday afternoon Scotland County Sheriff’s Office received the results of the autopsy from the state medical examiner.

“The cause of death is accidental drowning. There were no other signs of foul play. We are reviewing the results from the medical examiner,” said Detective Sgt. Jessica Sadovnikov who led the search for the little boy. “The DA’s office has requested a meeting with the sheriff’s office to review the case over the next few weeks.””

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/news/13821/missing-child-death-ruled-accidental

“On Tuesday afternoon Scotland County Sheriff’s Office received the results of the autopsy from the state medical examiner.

“The cause of death is accidental drowning. There were no other signs of foul play. We are reviewing the results from the medical examiner,” said Detective Sgt. Jessica Sadovnikov who led the search for the little boy. “The DA’s office has requested a meeting with the sheriff’s office to review the case over the next few weeks.””

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/news/13821/missing-child-death-ruled-accidental

Just as I thought, due to the outside of the pond being five feet deep. So sad. Rest in peace, Raul.

Sweet little angel, Raul. Rest In Peace, little boy. Find a grandma angel up there to dote on you.

Just as I thought, due to the outside of the pond being five feet deep. So sad. Rest in peace, Raul.

Yes, he must have stepped in just a bit too far or slipped in the mud and got into trouble very quickly. And sadly, farm ponds apparently do not have to be fenced, unlike swimming pools which are required to be fenced in NC. All by himself when he got into trouble, that little boy. I'm glad there was a vigil -- and maybe it will save the life of a different 4 year old one day.

Godspeed Raul. Another beautiful :angel: taken too soon.

When my son Cole was 3, we were visiting my mum in Terre Haute, Indiana. We went to a park on the banks of the Wabash River and I told my son not to go in the water. With that said, Cole jumped into the Wabash River and in a split second and without thinking I immediately jumped in and pulled him out.
Needless to say, my mum was mortified, not because Cole went for a quick dip, but the fact I jumped in because I had to save him. I could not believe how mad she was because some people off in the distance saw. Oh please woman!

I don't get how Raul was allowed to run around outside in his PJ's and with bare feet. I'm not sure what the temperatures are in NC at this time of year but the thought of the little man running round with no coat and no shoes is just heartbreaking. If the family knew he was a wanderer why didn't they keep a closer eye on him? I don't get this. I'm not victim blaming here, but I don't get the thinking of letting a baby run around free and unsupervised.

I don't get how Raul was allowed to run around outside in his PJ's and with bare feet. I'm not sure what the temperatures are in NC at this time of year but the thought of the little man running round with no coat and no shoes is just heartbreaking. If the family knew he was a wanderer why didn't they keep a closer eye on him? I don't get this. I'm not victim blaming here, but I don't get the thinking of letting a baby run around free and unsupervised.

its been cold this winter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back